South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 05-25-2007, 12:28 AM   #166  
B Easy

S/C/G: 188/167/140

Height: 5'2"

Red face Pop Culture Clash

I am actually OBSESSED with a writer by the name of Chuck Klosterman, He actually is a journalist for SPIN magazine, but I just got done reading his book "Killing yourself to live" and it's about him going on a road trip across the US to visit the sites of the places where Rock Star have fallen. Kind of morbid but in actuality he explores why some stars become "Gods" in the mind of Millions when they die so young or in accidents.

I also just got done reading "Love is a Mix Tape" for anyone of the generations of mix tapes you will love this book and it was written by Rob Sheffield of Rolling Stone Magazine and he writes it about his wife, it was beautiful.

Other than that I am starting to read about on the SBD and about to start my 4th Chuck Klosterman book "Curious people and Dangerous Ideas". I also have a book journal of books of the past that I have read and loved.
daoriginalbridy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 01:06 AM   #167  

S/C/G: 143/143/125

Height: 5'7"

I just started reading "The Memory Keepers Daughter". Actually, I think I will go read some right now
SunBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 11:19 AM   #168  
Recovering Sugarholic

Height: 5'3"

SunBear, you'll have to let me know if you like Memory Keeper's Daughter. I thought it was pretty good but not up to the hype it had received on some message boards I frequent. Interesting idea, though.

I finished two fun books this week, Back to School Murder by Leslie Meier, which is the fourth in her Lucy Stone series--cozy mysteries that I really enjoy. And Million Dollar Dilemma by Judy Baer; I read almost the entire thing sitting in jury duty on Monday. It was cute but not great, and not as good as The Whitney Chronicles which is also by Baer.

Now I am reading When Bobbie Sang the Blues by Peggy Darty--Christian mystery, interesting so far. I am also trying to read Piercing the Darkness by Frank Peretii but it seems I am only interesting in easy books right now! I can't get into it because it actually seems to involve thought. I also gave up on Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer, probably for the same reason. But hey, a girl should read what she wants to, right? I don't always read fluff books...just seem to be in that season right now!

Have a happy long weekend full of good books!
JessieW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 12:49 PM   #169  
Cute & Fluffy

S/C/G: 219/217/150

Height: Short!

I didn't particularly care for Memory Keeper's Daughter. I found it really aggravating. I didn't like the way the story unfolded, nor did I really like the characters (which is why I disliked some of the story) but I still felt the need to finish it. I found it really unsatisfying.

I haven't read Everything is Illuminated yet, but I did see the movie. I rather liked it. It was really odd, but very well done. We have the book in the house, but my boyfriend got it for Christmas and he hasn't read it yet, so I don't think it would be nice of me to steal it and read it first.

I am currently reading Undomestic Goddess which is cute so far. I also have A child called "it",American girls about town and The nanny diaries waiting.

Last edited by squeaker; 05-25-2007 at 01:58 PM.
squeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 01:52 PM   #170  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Just arranged some new books on my porch for summer afternoon reading. I saved my Christmas gift card and got:
  • On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan who, I just realized, also wrote Saturday which I detested!
  • The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards
    and
  • The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
That should keep me going for a while.

I also have two Library books: Hundred Dollar Baby by Robert B. Parker and Rage Therapy by Daniel Kalla.

There's also a backlog of magazines: New Yorker, Canadian Living, Threads and Canadian Gardening!

Probably will read The Memory Keeper's Daughter first to get it over with!
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 04:48 PM   #171  
Allie

S/C/G: 225/210/135

Height: 5'5''

Well, aside from college books (of which I had 37 this semester alone!) I've read in the past month or so:

Zorro, A Novel- Isabel Allende (anything Isabel Allende writes is magic, I seriously recommend it)

Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer (which is just a good book in general but especially amazing for me as the grandchild of Ukrainian Jewish immigrants... and I have had plans for years to do a similar trip as Jonathan did to find the shtetl my family comes from)

Cochabamba! Water War in Bolivia- Oscar Olivera (as an activist, this book is extremely enlightening and uplifting)

People's History of the United States- Howard Zinn (we're buddies... I go to almost every lecture he gives in the area and since he is a professor at a local college, I see him about twice a month.. for some reason that fact makes this book even better because I know such a great, kind man wrote it)

Israel: Peace Not Apartheid- Jimmy Carter (this guy's got chutzpah.. excellent book)

Jane Eyre- Charlotte Bronte (about my 100th time reading it... I have to keep tissues nearby because I cry EVERY TIME)

I'm excited for this summer because I'm subletting an apartment with no TV so I'll be reading quite a bit more.
charolastra00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 11:37 PM   #172  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

I actually quite enjoyed The Memory Keeper's Daughter, much more than I was expecting to.

daoriginalbridy
, have you read Nick Hornby's 31 Songs, also published as Songbook? From the sounds of your reading tastes, it might be something you'd enjoy if you haven't.

Ruth
, the only McEwan book I've read thus far is Atonement, which I loved. I've heard such mixed reviews of his others that I'm a bit leery of reading them, even though I have a few on my bookshelf. Have you read Atonement and if so, what did you think of it?

I finally got around to posting about Road Song, an excellent memoir that deserves much more recognition than it's received. I also finally read The Night Watch, since having it on my shelf since last fall. No post yet, but I will say that although I enjoyed it and read it almost straight through, it would be my least favorite of hers.

I haven't been able to bring myself to reading one of Jonathan Safran Foer's books yet. I'm alternately attracted and repelled by them ...

Hope everyone's having a great weekend!
LitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 09:16 AM   #173  

I'm still totally off plan - week 5 of the kitchen remodel - but I came back to visit. Actually, my lunches are SBD friendly, and breakfast is about half the time, it's just dinner and the after dinner treats that have been out of hand. I don't want to lose too much ground.

Liars and Saints
by Maile Meloy.
I had been going to say this was the only Catholic novel I'd ever read, then I remembered reading The Thornbirds when I was a teenager. It took me till halfway through the book before I said to myself, THIS IS A SOAP OPERA!

A Tree Grows In Brooklyn by Betty Smith.
It was sooo well-written. Published in 1943, it's the (more or less) autobiographical story of the author growing up in a poor neighborhood in Brooklyn in the years from 1906-1917. Her father is a drunk, and a sometimes singing waiter, her mother cleans their apartment building and a couple others for rent and a little more.
It's all fascinating, her accounts of her family, their complex personalities and relationships, her schooling, charity vs. work, the food, the different ethnic groups and their uneasy relationships, the city itself, and sex. It really reads as very modern in many ways.

March by Geraldine Brooks
This is the story of Mr. March, the absent father from "Little Women". He is an idealistic chaplain in the Civil War. Most of the story is told from his point of view, but a few chapters are in the voice of his wife, Marmee, and these chapters bring out what a total chasm there is between these 2 individuals. This chasm is a reflection of what Mr. March (do we ever know his first name?) faces as he realizes that the Union soldiers are as racist and cruel as the Confederates, and his idealism is shattered. (There's more to it than that, but that's the aspect I'm thinking of at the moment.)

Have I mentioned The Newbery Project here? We're trying to read all the books which have received the Newbery Medal. My 12 year old is doing quite well - he's read 22 of them. I've read 10.
rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 03:21 PM   #174  
Allie

S/C/G: 225/210/135

Height: 5'5''

Rebel, your link doesn't work! But the idea sounds cool!

And I'd never heard of March. Now I really want to read it! I tend to be disappointed by the "other side" or different author sequels I read, but they're still entertaining!
charolastra00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 05:36 PM   #175  

Let's see if I can get the link to work: The Newbery Project

A friend wrote this about March:
Quote:
A short but very intense novel that tells the story of Mr. March, the father in "Little Women", who serves as an Army chaplain for a year during the Civil War in the US.

This book won the Pulitzer Prize last year, and I think it deserved it. It was incredible - it covered so much ground, so eloquently. Racism, the abolitionists in Massachusetts (including appearances by 'Waldo' Emerson and Henry Thoreau), poverty, John Brown and the raid on Harper's Ferry, religion, the Civil War, the gulf of understanding between men and women - both personally, in a marriage, and because of the gender roles at the time - damn, there is just a lot in this book, even if you aren't a huge fan of "Little Women" (I'm not).
Old 05-29-2007, 05:49 PM   #176  

(sorry for serial posting, here)

A new book, A Thousand Splendid Sunscame out last week by Khaled Hosseini (who wrote The Kite Runner).

Today I got the other novel by Geraldine Brooks, Year of Wonders which is about the bubonic plague in the late middle ages.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:58 PM   #177  

S/C/G: 143/143/125

JessieW - I finished the Memory Keeper's Daughter and it didn't live up to the hype. I did not connect with any of the characters and found the ending a let down. I read it very quickly, skimming a lot of the parts I thought were repeating things over and over (the emotional wall built up, blah blah blah).

Anyway - onward to my next book. I bought it as a hardback on clearance so we'll see if it is any good. It's called Good Grief by Lolly Winston.

I like a good cry book. TKD was just depressing to me. I am hoping GG will be the right kind of cry
SunBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 09:20 AM   #178  
Recovering Sugarholic

I've heard Good Grief is excellent.

I LOVED March and Year of Wonders. Brooks is an amazing writer and it's obvious she has a background in journalism because she pays great attention to detail. I want to read everything she's written!! (One of the few books in my keeper pile is my autographed copy of March--a gift from my best girlfriend.)

I am trying to chug through Piercing the Darkness by Peretti. It became a lot more interesting last night, but I've decided if I'm not captured by page 100 then I am allowed to give it up! Unfortunately I'm also proofing a book that is sooooo boring and is taking me forever to read through and that is eating up most of my free reading time!

I love, love, love to see what you are reading! Keep it up!
Old 05-31-2007, 11:30 AM   #179  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Goodness, Beachies, you've been so chatty while I was gone from this thread--that's awesome, but it'll take me a while to catch up!

I'm thrilled there's so much interesting reading going on...can't wait to read more about what you're all reading!

I'm still working on The Master Butcher's Singing Club, which is phenomenal. Erdrich is a heck of a writer! I have just a tiny bit left to finish...then it's on to Munro's Castle Rock book. Promise to return when I have time to read all your wonderful posts and have something to say about what I'm reading!
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:01 PM   #180  
Recovering Sugarholic

Just bumping us up! I read Sisterchicks in Gondolas by Robin Jones Gunn this weekend...the Sisterchicks books are a little formulaic but they are cute and it was a fun, short read.