Sonoma Diet Recipes Recipes marked for each wave of the Sonoma Diet. Recipes fit in with whole food diets and the Mediterranean diet.

Old 01-14-2006, 11:31 AM   #1  

Default Wave 2 - Roasted Vegetables

Roasted Vegetables

1 small butternut squash, cubed
2 red bell peppers, seeded and diced
1 sweet potato, peeled and cubed
1 red onion, quartered
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme - I have used fresh and dry herbs with this recipe. PLEASE use fresh if you can . It makes a difference.
2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
1/4 cup olive oil - go easy on this.. use as much as needed, may not be this much
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
salt and freshly ground black pepper

* This recipe originally had yukon gold potatoes in it, so I pulled that out. You might want to add more veggies from either Wave 1 or Wave 2 to round this out. Good additions would be: Broccoli, Cauliflower, Eggplant, Zucchini, Tomtoes, Carrots, Rutabaga.*

Preheat oven to 475 degrees F (245 degrees C).
In a large bowl, combine the squash, red bell peppers, sweet potato, and other veggies. Separate the red onion quarters into pieces, and add them to the mixture.
In a small bowl, stir together thyme, rosemary, olive oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Toss with vegetables until they are coated. Spread evenly on a large roasting pan.
Roast for 35 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven, stirring every 10 minutes, or until vegetables are cooked through and browned.

This re-heats well.
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 08:56 PM   #2  

Roasted veggies are our family staple in the summer. Might I add a variation?

Bring about a cup of balsamic vinegar to a boil (open windowns or turn on oven fan) and then simmer for 1/2 - 1 hour until syruppy. Pour over veggies. It is sweet and yummy and the only way I can get my kids to eat veggies (aside from pureeing them and telling them it is "like mashed potatoes").
irishgreengables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 05:22 PM   #3  

I did this recipe.

Then yesterday, took the leftovers, put them in the blender, added some spinich and pine nuts, added water and homemade vegetable broth. Blended it all, not until smooth, but kinda chunky, reheated, and it was an awesome soup for yesterday afternoon.
DonnaS is offline   Reply With Quote