Sonoma Diet Recipes Recipes marked for each wave of the Sonoma Diet. Recipes fit in with whole food diets and the Mediterranean diet.

Old 01-07-2006, 01:27 PM   #1  

Default Wave 1 - Chicken Veggie wraps

Chicken Veggie Wraps - 4 servings

1-2T olive oil
1 chopped onion
2 cloves garlic+, crushed
1/2 (16 ounce) package broccoli coleslaw mix
1 cup shredded cabbage - add more
3/4 cup cooked chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces - can also use leftover turkey too
salt and pepper to taste

This sauce makes enough for 8 servings actually
1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, undrained - don't drain. important!!
3 tablespoons low fat/fat free mayonnaise - since you'll only be using about 1.5 T of ff mayo for 4 servings, I don't think adding this is a problem although the use of fat free products is rather sketchy in the book. There are olive oil based mayos that would be a good fit here too.
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon ground cumin
4 cloves garlic, minced - I usually use less since I take this to work and don't want really bad garlic breath
1/2 teaspoon onion powder - or toss in some regular onion
1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper
salt and pepper to taste

La Tortillas - whole wheat or else whole wheat pita would also work here

Heat oil in a large heavy skillet over medium high heat. Saute onion and 2 cloves crushed garlic until onions are soft and translucent, about 3 minutes. Stir in the broccoli coleslaw mix, and cook until tender. Add the cabbage and chicken and toss for a minute or two. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper to taste.
In a blender or food processor, combine garbanzo beans, mayonnaise, mustard, cumin, garlic, onion powder, lemon pepper, salt and pepper. Blend until smooth and creamy.
Heat tortillas for a few seconds in the microwave for easier folding. Spread each tortilla with sauce, then put a large heap of the slaw mixture on top. Wrap like you would a burrito.

* note* - I assemble the wraps , without the bean mixture and freeze them for work lunches. I take about 1/4 cup of the bean mxture in a cup to work and top the wraps with it just before serving. Works great. I nuke the wraps before serving
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote