Old 07-11-2011, 04:59 AM   #1  

Default Sonoma/Mediterranean Weekly Thread - 11 to 17 July

A new thread for Sonoma and Mediterranean dieters to post their daily menus and exercise and get support. My big challenges this week are going to be eating at a friend's house on Wednesday night, and transitioning to Sonoma Wave 2 on Thursday. How's the week ahead looking for you?
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:19 AM   #2  
Sarah

S/C/G: 193/184.5/147

Height: 5'7

Hey, I'll join for a bit, need to stay accountable the next couple of weeks as I've gained about 5-7lbs. I definitely have a challenge this week, a work bbq at the beach on Tuesday night. I won't get out of drinking so will have a few wines and will probably eat a couple of veggie burgers as I don't eat meat.

B: Oatmeal with honey and raisins
S: Apple
L: 3 bean and veg chili, no rice
S: Can beans and tuna, nut yoghurt
D: 3 bean and veg chili, some low fat garlic dressing, no rice. 0% Greek yoghurt
S: 2 cans of beer

Exercise 45 mins spinning, 25 mins treadmill, 100 sit ups

Good luck all

Last edited by CardboardCutoutCat; 07-11-2011 at 06:06 PM.
CardboardCutoutCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:47 PM   #3  

Hi, Sarah! Good to have you with us for the next few weeks. Hope the bbq goes okay. Are you doing Mediterranean or Sonoma?

Here's what I ate today:

B: All Bran with low-fat milk
L: Salad with eggs, beans, green beans, salad leaves, cucumber, olives
S: Small handful cherries, mini goat's cheese babybel, 11 almonds
D: Salad with hummus, cherry tomatoes, mixed seeds, salad leaves, wholegrain crackers

Exercise: 1 hr walking, 45 mins yoga
Old 07-11-2011, 06:04 PM   #4  
Sarah

OH my god are there such thing as goats cheese babybels? I could totally get involved with those.. must see if I can find them here.. Hey Pilgrim I loosely follow mediterranean have done for a couple of years now. It's not overly difficult as I live smack bang in the middle of the Med Sonoma is a bit strict for me and has quite a bit of meat so I just follow Med and try to keep the carbs low where I can. How about you? Looks from your menu that you're doing Mediterranean too?

Edited - have just seen you are doing Sonoma! Also seems you're a non meat eater like me.. will be watching your menus for ideas

Last edited by CardboardCutoutCat; 07-11-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:17 PM   #5  

Yes, I'm doing Sonoma, and I'm vegetarian - I can't digest meat or fish. Hopefully we can both pick up some new ideas from each other - it seems like Sonoma and Mediterranean are quite similar :-)

I only discovered the goat cheese babybels as a result of getting the Sonoma book! I find them much tastier than the regular kind. I get them from Ocado (Waitrose). I don't know where you would be able to find them in Malta, though - never been there.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:40 PM   #6  

Height: 5'7.5"

Default Hi chicks..how's it all going?

Hi Sonoma chicks..Havn't been around too much of late,which I apologize for. I've been working mostly on getting my thyroid stablized w/ new meds. I have been eating healthy tho,and last night made a huge pot of veggie soup which i'll eat whenever I'm hungry. I've been abit 'down' of late,and not very happy,so I hesitate to come if I'm all gloomy. It's not really about diet/and weight,just life in general for me now. I'm working on it though,and still plan on visiting,and love reading your trials and successes AND what you've discovered w/this new way of eating. take care,and see you later~
choices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:41 PM   #7  

Hi, Choices! Sorry to hear things are rough at the moment. I hope they improve soon. Do come and see us often!

Today was day 9 of Wave 1 for me - nearly done! I can hardly believe it. It's been easier than I expected, but it will be nice to be able to have more fruit. This is what I ate today:

L: Salad with eggs, beans, French beans, salad leaves, pickled cauliflower (ugh, didn't like it, won't get it again), olives.
S: Small handful of cherries.
D: Wholewheat wrap with Quorn steak, avocado, radishes, salad leaves, feta cheese.

Exercise: 50 mins walking, 1 hr keep fit class.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:06 AM   #8  

Day 10 of Wave 1:

L: Salad with eggs, beans, salad leaves, cucumber, olives; probably something else that I've forgotten!
S: Small pot of melon chunks; mini goat cheese Babybel.
D: I was over at a friend's place and he didn't want to cook, so we ordered Indian food. There was no brown rice or wholegrain bread, so I ordered dal (lentils) instead, plus paneer tikka (sort of marinated cheese, a bit like halloumi) for protein and stir-fried mushrooms for veg. I stuck to the one plate and had roughly the right proportions, so although it probably had more fat than I should have had, I thought I did okay.

Exercise: 30 mins yoga, 1 hr 20 mins walking.

I haven't had a chance to weigh myself yet, so I will have to wait till later today or tomorrow to post my total Wave 1 loss. I suspect I may have stuck at the 5 lbs, though, since I've had two meals out and one family celebration in the meantime. We shall see.

Last edited by pilgrim; 07-14-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:49 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 223/205/150

Height: 5'7"

This thread is so cool! I am afraid since most of you here is eating vegetarian that the Low-Carb Mediterranean might make you gag! LOL!

Dr. Steve Parker is an expert in the Mediterranean diet but he also wrote a low carb version for type 2 diabetics and prediabetics, called The Low-Carb Mediterranean Diet - Conquer Diabetes & Prediabetes.

It is in two parts: The Ketogenic Mediterranen Diet then the Low-Carb Mediterranean Diet.

His concept is that the pure Mediterranean diet might be bad for diabetics because of carb-rich bread, pasta, fruits, legumes and certain vegetables. The healthy components are: olive oil, nuts and seeds, wine, fish, cheese, and Mediterranean spices.

Diabetics' bodies don't tolerate carbs in their diet like other people.

I am just getting started with this, but I have been snagging some of the recipes from Sonoma and the Mediterranean Diet cookbook. This is the best part of going this route... the food is so delicious! I will keep you posted on how I get along. Thanks for inviting me Pilgrim!
Mom2boxers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:16 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 133/131/123

Height: 5'1'

Hello everyone! Been running with grand-kids and haven't checked in for a few days--
cereal with skim milk
veggie sandwich and lemon orzo soup
not sure on supper--probably chicken and veggies
No alcohol for me for a while---I over indulge every time!!!!!
Been swimming with the kids and have dropped two pounds--wha-hooo!

Choices--I like your idea of a soup pot that you eat out of when hungry--I will try that!
Really trying just not to gain weight at this time with hope that over time I will drop some due to the changes.
ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 05:27 PM   #11  

Mom2boxers, it's good to have you with us. My husband is diabetic and also finds a low-carb diet helpful.

Ping, your approach sounds good - eating healthy is the most important thing, the weight loss will follow when your body's ready. If it comes off slowly, it's more likely to stay off, too. I am going to try to take the same approach.

Today was my first day on Wave 2. Here's what I ate:

B: Wholewheat toast with peanut butter
L: Small salad with egg, olives, roast celeriac, peas, leeks, salad leaves, beans; wholewheat bread
S: Banana, 1 dark chocolate brazil nut
D: Tofu in black bean sauce, brown rice, grape juice

I didn't eat my second fruit of the day, unless you count the lime juice in the black bean sauce - I just completely forgot because I wasn't that hungry. I will try to remember tomorrow to make sure I get enough vitamins.

Exercise: 30 mins walking, 30 mins Wii Fit.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:56 AM   #12  
Sarah

Hi guys,

Tuesday and Wednesday went out the window accountability wise. As previously mentioned I had a work bbq on Tues eve, then on Wednesday I got a promotion so spent the day in the sun drinking beer and eating crappy food to celebrate

Yesterdays -
B: Fried haloumi in a white roll with butter (eye roll at self, stop buying haloumi Sarah)
S: Greek Yoghurt
L: Tuna & Bean salad with rucola, onions, tomatoes
D: Vegetable soup with side salad of tomatoes, rucola, avacado, onion
S: 1/3 baked sweet potato chips, home made hummus

Exercise - 1 hour walking the dog

Last edited by CardboardCutoutCat; 07-15-2011 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:58 AM   #13  
Sarah

B: Bowl oatmeal with honey
S: Greek yoghurt
L: Tuna & bean salad with rucola tomatoes onions
D: Steamed salmon fillet, balsamic fried onions, home made hummus, sweet potato oven baked chips

Exercise 60 mins pilates

Last edited by CardboardCutoutCat; 07-15-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:45 PM   #14  

Height: 5'7.5"

Default Hi healthy chicks..

Just a note to let you all know I'm still working on my eating healthy plan. I received the cookbook,and think it's worth it,although I havn't tried anything from it yet. I've kinna divised a combo diet style...mostly low carb. I do seem to lose w/a low carb lifestyle.However a good piece of bread once in awhile,and a glass of wine also has my name on it..so I'mcombining the two...and feel better,more in control w/o depravation. I've lost 2lbs this wk. w/those simple diet switches I'm still walking daily,and have also focused on(this is big one for me)eat until I'm not hungry,but NOT full..just abit on this side of satisfied. It's been a week of mind changes,attitude,and self care. Sometimes just putting my needs,my health first has,and still is to some degree the most difficult. Take care chickies,and let's be good to ourselveschoices
choices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:18 AM   #15  

Sarah, congratulations on your promotion! That's wonderful! I love halloumi too - I would think it should be okay on Sonoma/Med in small amounts. It has less fat per 100g than the goat cheese mini babybels, which are allowed.

Choices, I think it's great that you're figuring out combinations that work for you. That way you're far more likely to stick to it and not feel deprived. I know what you mean about how difficult it is to put your own health first - we're kind of trained not to as kids, aren't we. Especially women, although I do know some men who have terrible difficulty with it as well - mostly those with a history of depression or abuse.

Here's what I ate yesterday:

B: Wholegrain toast with peanut butter, 1 apple
L: Caesar salad from the book, with Quorn instead of chicken and leaving out the anchovies - this was really good.
D: Toasted wholemeal tortilla with aubergine pate, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, spring onions and a dash of chilli sauce - also good. 1 banana, 1 glass grape juice.

Exercise: 30 mins yoga, 15 mins walking.