Old 02-24-2010, 06:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 196/196/140

Height: 5'5

Question How hard is it to follow?

Hi,

I've been reading a lot about the Mediterranean Diet. How hard is it to follow? Is it something that could be a permanent lifestyle change? I'm ready for a change and have been researching many diets. Any comments would be helpful.
Mrs Daigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:38 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 133/123/119

Height: 5'2"

For me, weightwatchers is the easiest to follow and adapt to fit any lifestyle.
rcrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:40 AM   #3  
Sarah

S/C/G: 193/184.5/147

Height: 5'7

In my opinion it's not hard to follow. It's all about sensible choices and natural whole foods. It's more of a lifestyle change than a diet and weight loss is gradual ; 1-2lbs a week.

It works something like this. There are no banned foods but there are foods you should have often - ie vegetables, legumes, fruit, wholegrains. These are the bottom tier on a food pyramid and it works up from there meaning that the next tier is fish and seafood which you can have often, the next dairy and poultry in moderation, then the top tier is for red meat and sweets, which you are supposed to have less often. You can also have wine in moderation and are encouraged to be physically active.

Here's a link to the pyramid
http://www.methodsofhealing.com/file...et-pyramid.jpg

Hope this helps

Sarah
CardboardCutoutCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:24 AM   #4  
Yay!

S/C/G: 252/seeticker/195

Height: 1,83/ 6

I was on WW and I gain everything back and more.. Reason? They dont teach you why its bad to eat certain food, its just: dont do it.
Counting points is also a hassle and finally, it doesnt make any sense to be allowed to eat w.e you want, just count calories(in points obvisouly)... some calories are good for you some are not.. shouldnt put them all in the same basket..

Same idea for fats for example... not all bad for you or grains!

SO

my point is: this diet is the only one I was able to keep and I will for the rest of my life because it is not a diet as in dieting, its a way to eat.. a way to live

I suggest reading the sonoma diet book. Lots of explainations and why it is such an awesome way to lose weight.

Like Sarah said, you loose about 1-2 pounds a week except the first 10 days.

But also, it is SO much more.. when I lost weight with WW, I find my body was odd looking...it was almost like it wasnt natural. With this diet, my skin got better (color too weird huh), my energy levels are higher, my body shape is awesome and I dont know how to explain it but I just look healthy even if I have many pounds to go!

Try it

Last edited by Zofia; 02-25-2010 at 08:25 AM.
Zofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:39 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 135/128/120

Height: 5'3"

The only things that I have found difficult about this are giving up foods like mac n' cheese and beer. I'm pretty sure I would have a hard time with those no matter what diet I am on though...My husband has really bad eating habits and he can follow this without much struggle. The hardest part for him has been redefining his portion sizes, but now he is finding it difficult to overeat the way he used to. It definitely is a lifestyle change, but like Zofia said the benefits that you gain from it are really great. My skin has improved, I have more energy and I'm really enjoying what I'm eating instead of freaking out about it.
CPTSayrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:33 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 196/196/140

Height: 5'5

Thank you ladies for all of your input. I think I am going to try it. I've always been on WW and the biggest problem I had was keeping up with my points. I'm going to the YMCA this weekend to do that MicroFit thing and begin an exercise program. I will start it next week. Thanks so much.
Mrs Daigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:33 AM   #7  

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexia View Post
It's really not hard, but you just have to be honest with yourself. You just have to be ready to go all the way, there is no half assed efforts with Mediterranean diet. WORK WORK.
Hi Mexia, can you explain this? Do you mean because most of the food is whole food and more preparation is necessary?

Thanks

Last edited by Hyacinth; 03-06-2010 at 09:33 AM.
Hyacinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:14 PM   #8  

Does this diet tell you what to eat each day? It it hard to stay accountable? I am at 300 pound man in my late 20's, will i be satisfied on this? I am nervous about doing a diet and being really hungry. thanks
paulny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:55 PM   #9  
Sarah

S/C/G: 193/184.5/147

Height: 5'7

The diet does not tell you what to eat each day, that's completely up to you but the idea is to try not to eat processed / take away / junk foods, and eat mostly healthy home prepared meals made with whole foods.

There are no banned foods but there are foods you should have often - ie vegetables, legumes, fruit, wholegrains. You are encouraged to eat a lot of fish, and white meat regularly but less often. Red meat and sweets are something that should only be eaten occasionally. You can also have wine in moderation and are encouraged to be physically active.

As for hunger, there is no limit or counting so if you feel hungry you eat. But you eat something healthy like vegetables, fruit, wholegrains etc. There are loads of recipes in the threads on this site and millions of recipes online.

There's also a weekly thread in this, the Sonoma/Med section, where we post our menus and recipes each day. It's worth a look if you are curious about what kind of foods are eaten on a daily basis.

Best of luck
CardboardCutoutCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:44 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 135/128/120

Height: 5'3"

The Sonoma diet does have meal plans for you if you want them, but you aren't required to follow them...the book does a really great job of educating you on what is good about the foods you are eating as well as retraining you about portion sizes and how much of what types of foods you should be consuming. Really, it just teaches you what to do and then releases you to do it. My husband started out at 6'8 and around 315 lbs and he has adjusted to the new portion sizes and the different types of snacks really well. I certainly haven't heard him complaining about being hungry. If you are looking to really CHANGE your life, then these are the diets to do it with.
CPTSayrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:43 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

Paulny-I haven't posted here in awhile but follow this approach as well. Here's my two cents. If you are one of those people who needs a really structured approach: eat this much of this food, this many times a day-go with the Sonoma approach. If you are fine with having general principles and being able to apply them to your own situation, then using general Mediterranean principles will work fine. I tend to mix mine-sometimes I eat Sonoma based meals, sometimes I eat meals that just apply the general principles. One thing you have to be okay with is preparing your own food. This diet does not work well for people who like to eat a lot of processed, convenience type foods. There are some quick meals-but lean cuisine won't really work for you.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:48 AM   #12  

So My Fiance and I are going to start the Sonoma diet Monday. Do you guys have any tips? How is the online tools? I am a little nervous.
paulny is offline   Reply With Quote