Old 01-20-2007, 06:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/210.5/150

Default Hot Chocolate

I was messing around with different ways and came up with this recipe. It makes a very smooth and very rich phase 1 hot chocolate that is wonderful! This is perfect for those cold nights...or even those nights you're having trouble falling to sleep and just need a warm drink.

1 cup low fat milk (I haven't tried skim but I would think it would work)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp cocoa powder
2 tsp Splenda
2 tsp water
vanilla extract to taste

In a microwavable safe container (Pyrex measuring cup is what I use), add the milk and the cinnamon. Microwave until very very warm (will vary with microwaves), or simmer on stove until just under a boiling. In a mug, add the cocoa powder, Splenda and water. Mix these 3 very thoroughly until it's a very smooth paste. Add in the hot milk and stir. Add the vanilla extract to taste.

Enjoy!

Serving size: 1 serving.

As a treat, possibly some light or fat free whipping cream or some chocolate shavings for a dessert would be yummy as well (pending what phase you're in of course).
lotusblossom02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 08:06 PM   #2  
You can do it!!!!

S/C/G: 294/260/200

Height: 5'3

Oh boy...is this yummy or what? I have a similar recipe that I got from the Hershey's website. It is 2 tb of splenda, 2 tsp of cocoa powder, a dash of salt, 1 cup of milk (warmed in th micro) and 1/4 tsp of vanilla extract. Heaven!
Monkeybabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 09:02 PM   #3  

Now, this does sound very good. Would you only have this once a day, right?
nycousin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 04:54 PM   #4  
Getting my body back!!!

S/C/G: 225/220/125

Height: 5'4"

Talking Yummy

MMM ....I just had this and it was DELICIOUS!!! I am on day 1 of P1 and the sweet tooth came rearing it's ugly head and let me tell you this nipped it right in the bud! Yummy
fitnessgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:55 PM   #5  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Ok this may or may not sound good could you use FF greek yogurt or maybe some whipped cottage cheese and make a thick pudding?
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:58 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 251/190/175

Height: 5'10

MMMM hot cocolate sounds great! I love it w/cinammon. It's too humid in my area (PA) to have this now but will add to my favorites and try this fall/winter. Thnx for the post.
vealcalf2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 12:11 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 145/132/100

Height: 5'0"

I love hot coca but is this phase one? my SB book say to aviod all milk products other than ff evaporated. I am I reading it incorrectly?
viksmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 05:52 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by viksmom View Post
I love hot coca but is this phase one? my SB book say to aviod all milk products other than ff evaporated. I am I reading it incorrectly?
In the updated Phase 1 approved foods list, we are allowed up to 2 cups of dairy a day. That includes skim or 1% milk, so enjoy!

You can find the latest changes to the Phase 1 and Phase 2 food lists in our FAQ section.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:27 AM   #9  
Creative Beacher

If anyone is having a hard time microwaving the milk (curtling or not getting hot enough), I figured out a formula. Microwave one cup of milk in a micro-safe container for 60 sec, stir, microwave 60 more seconds, stir again, microwave 30 sec. You may need to play with the time since ovens vary but the stirring is really what helps.
merryalta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 04:23 PM   #10  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

I added a bit of instant coffee powder to this...delicious.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:21 AM   #11  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by merryalta View Post
If anyone is having a hard time microwaving the milk (curtling or not getting hot enough), I figured out a formula. Microwave one cup of milk in a micro-safe container for 60 sec, stir, microwave 60 more seconds, stir again, microwave 30 sec. You may need to play with the time since ovens vary but the stirring is really what helps.
Thanks for the tip, Merryalta! I'm surprised people are having trouble. I've made homemade hot cocoa for a long time. I usually use 1.5 cups of milk (1 cup skim, 1/2 cup 1%) in a Pyrex measuring cup. I heat it on high for 2 mins., 45 secs. It usually makes a skin on top, but other than that it's always hot and never curdles.

I make homemade hot chocolate (safe for all phases) using a variation of the recipe on the side of the Hershey's cocoa box (though it tastes even better if you use other cocoas--especially Ghirardelli or Sharfenberger):

Homemade Hot Chocolate
  1. Heat 1.5 cups of milk in the microwave.
  2. While it's heating, mix the following in a generous-sized mug:
    1 Tbsp. plus 2 tsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
    3 Tbsp. of SF syrup (my favorites are Kahlua and Toasted Marshmallow from DaVinci)
  3. You'll need to mix this for a while until it truly comes together. Don't leave any chunks in the mix. You may need to mash the powder against the side with a spoon to break up any lumps.
  4. Add a sprinkle of salt and stir.
  5. When the milk is heated, pour it into the mug, stirring constantly. If you wish, you can add a scant amount of vanilla extract (not okay in P1) afterwards. I always add a sprinkle of cinnamon.

This makes a delicious hot cocoa, flavored, and with a bit of bubbly "froth" on top. Yumm-o!

Last edited by beachgal; 12-10-2008 at 12:28 PM.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:48 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 236/228/130

Height: 5'3"

For any hot chocolate lovers out there, the Dutch Process Cocoa from Penzeys (www.penzeys.com) is divine. It is so smooth that I don't have any problems stirring it right into my milk.
fireballgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:53 PM   #13  
barb

Height: 5'7

OMG this was heaven!!! I had it a few days ago and am actually wanting it now!!! Thanks for sharing
djmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:42 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 255/SB re-start 236/140

Height: 5'6"

I've been itching for hot cocoa and last night I tried to make it for Ph 1 (prior to finding this, obviously) and it was a complete disaster. I'm not a cook, anyway, so I was a bit cautious, but now I know what I did wrong and I've printed this to share with my daughter this evening! So excited!
TwilightMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:45 PM   #15  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Today's Daily Dish had a little article about hot cocoa on SBD and I thought you might be interested!
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote