Old 12-02-2020, 12:57 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias — #1

Good Morning! It's a beautiful day in my neighborhood this morning; no wind, sunshine, and 42 degrees heading up to 47 this afternoon. We had a little black visitor stay overnight last night. The kitten has been in and out for short periods of time. She likes the door left open but it has gotten too cold to do that and guess she has figured out we aren't going to hurt her so she settled in. She likes to snuggle on top of Ernie but he's not much into that yet. She picked an out of the way corner on a pile of blankets sitting on a little footstool. Bob fixed a small box with litter in it and we went to bed hoping she would know what it was for. She was doing her business in it when I came downstairs this morning. I was again missing a momma cat, for breakfast, this morning so am kind of worried about her. Bob forgot his phone again this morning. I am so lame I sent him a text saying I would drop it off on my way. The secretary thought that was a good funny to start her day! I went on to get my nails done and should have stopped for some groceries but will go after lunch or pt, whichever works out.

Ceejay, maybe it is different where you live but in Iowa if you sell any real estate for more than you paid for it, you have to pay capital gain. It’s nice of your sister to give you the real estate gift! The Sioux City online church is decorated and the advent candle was lit. It was so pretty and festive. Our local church isn’t decorated yet but a family did the reading and lit the candle. When Bob did his talk, no one else was around just the secretary running the camera. I guess different parts of the service are recorded at different times so the people aren’t all together at once, then she puts the service in order. I feel bad for the older people who don’t have computers or know how to do FB. I think my next project is the tree. Also thinking about taking all the excess Hallmark ornaments to our Christmas get together and let the kids take what they want. The rest will go to the SOS store to sell next year. I have too much stuff!

Not much else is happening, which is good I guess. Hope you are enjoying a nice sunny day; do something you enjoy!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 03:07 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Afternoon
Jean
They decorated our sanctuary the Sunday after Thanksgiving. It's always beautiful. I think I'm going to like our new pastor. Should not have judged her with out knowing her. Then we were shut down.

-------------------------------------------
I had called a plumber yesterday and was lucky enough to have them come out this morning. There was a leak under the master bathroom sink and the toilet had shifted off the flange. He said the flange was worn down and replaced that and also fixed the leak. The cost was a pretty penny. I still have some mold but going to try some home remedies before I call for the professionals. He also replaced my garbage disposal but it still didn't work. He said that it was either the plug-in or switch. Maybe I should check the breaker.
I've figured something out about nephew. He was having "computer" this week end and getting antsy. He wanted me to go to Branson yesterday morning by 8 o'clock and bring him back to his office to trade computers. Come to find out he was/wanted to start drinking. I called him this morning to tell him that I could come and get him later today and let him stay here until Friday when I go back to Branson. He called me back and told me he was going to rehab. I almost cried. He was doing so well. Think his computer problems is his starting point or sign of him wanting to drink.
This is about it for me.

Hi gma
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 07:49 PM   #3  

Back again

Not a lot has happened today. I did drive to ash grove to get the mail and check on things there. When I got back into town I went to the gym. I got a 40 minute cardio session today. Need to do the weight machines tomorrow.
Going to spend the night in Branson with sis tomorrow night and go out to eat with her. Then she has a hair appointment on Saturday in Springfield and she will come here and spend the night with me.
Think I will put up my small table top Christmas tree in the morning.
Old 12-05-2020, 04:46 PM   #4  

Good Afternoon! It's a beautiful day in my neighborhood, sunny with a slight breeze and 45 degrees. I can't believe the nice weather we've had the last few days and predicted for the next week also. I just hope we don't have frigid cold and lots of snow for Christmas travel. We counted church money again this morning. My co-counter will be leaving for three weeks on the 18th and she picked someone different, than last year, to help me count. I think this gal will work out much better so keep your fingers crossed for me! I've done some laundry and argued with Pay Pal for too long. I was to the point I was so mad I quit! I wanted to use my credit card and it dumped me right into Pay Pal which I haven't used in many years. It kept sending me back to wanting my info, a different password, sent me a pass code, then told me to contact them for help. It's a drop down menu and never did give me a phone number nor a place to type my question for help. Bob suggested going to his office and trying to order there. Again, he has far more patience than I! The item is an Hawaiian, long sleeved t-shirt than Ian sent me a link for. Bob tried several times and it wouldn't go through but finally ended up having to type in the whole long mish mass of letters and numbers to get to the shirt. They tried to dump him in Pay Pal but he read the fine print to use his credit card. Now I just hope it gets here in time! Frustrating! I need to get on the phone and beg PEO officers to keep their office next year since we basically didn't meet this year. Zoom meeting is Monday so don't know if mine will work this time or not. I really don't care, bad attitude I know!

Ceejay, I hope your nephew has a new computer and that the rehab worked again for him. Computer problems are enough to make anyone drink even if they’re not a drinker. Congrats on going to the gym! I hope you enjoy the time with your sis this weekend. Bob has a small ceramic tree that was his mom’s and he would put on his office desk. In switching office space and bringing pictures, etc., home, he can’t find it. I just hope “someone” didn’t take it from office #1 store room since it was packed in a box. Bob thought he had his name on the box; next place to check is in our basement.

“Gma,” what are you doing today? Knitting, I bet!

I have towels in the dryer to fold and the phone call list is waiting so better keep going. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
Old 12-05-2020, 07:23 PM   #5  

Good evening! I have been super sick since Tuesday, but getting better at last. I had no congestion, no fever, nothing but vomiting and terrible headaches. My headache got so bad I finally took one of Jack’s pain pills from his knee surgery. I finally stopped vomiting and feel mostly back to normal. Have no clue what caused it, but it was awful. Haven’t done the rugs yet because I’ve been sick.

Jack is watching football and I have been trying to catch up on the afghan for our friends as it has to be ready to ship by the 20th or so and I’m about 1/3 of the way done.

I ordered a camera lens for Jack for Christmas. He’s been wanting it, but it cost $400 and he didn’t want to spend the money. So, he’s getting it as a gift. I have stacks of Christmas stuff to get ready to mail, Christmas cards to do, and budget for next year. Somehow it’ll all get done in time.

CeeJay: What a great gift! You can do what you want with it and enjoy it. Plumbing costs are awful anymore. Hope everything is the way it should be.

Jean: I take a photo of my toe every Saturday to compare for improvements. What a nightmare! I’m having trouble with postal delivering packages. I was supposed to get three things Friday and none were delivered yet. One of them was an envelope of stamps! Hope you get Ian’s shirt. I ended up ordering paper towels from Amazon. Jack’s gone to 4 stores with no luck and no luck online stores either. We’re going to be in a mess again with groceries I figure. Royal Caribbean just moved up sailings until March 1st now. Of course, I had just bought my bff’s airline tickets. RCL/CDC is requiring passengers to have a negative covid test before they try to go aboard and they have to be less than 5 days. Problem is tests are taking 3-5 days to come back! Fort Lauderdale has a testing site with a 24 hr turn around, but it costs $200 per person! So when it gets closer to time we’ll have to see how to work it all out as we are leaving for FL a week before the cruise!

Anabal: Come back and visit with us any time.

Everyone have a good evening!
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 01:06 PM   #6  

Finished with online church. It was another good service.
I put out my table top Christmas tree Saturday and enjoyed the lights last night. No decorations on the tree, I'm lazy. I also put a Christmas wreath on the door.
Sis did spend the night . She was so tired she slept most of the time she was here. We did go out to eat last night. I was hungry for catfish.
My pregnant niece says she thinks she will deliver on Monday. She had a virtual "sprinkle" shower yesterday. I've never heard of that before but she didn't need a lot of things. I bought her diapers. We watched her open gifts on lin through FB.
I had to call the plumber again. I sat down on the toilet and it rocked. I almost fell off. Think the flange is to high. The toilet doesn't even touch the floor.

gma
Sorry you have been so sick. Hope you don't have COVID. Headaches were a symptom of nephew's COVID.
Good idea on taking a picture of the toe for comparison. I would still be leery of any type of travel until the year 2022.

Jean
That ordeal with the credit card sounds like a scam to me. I canceled my pay pal cause I never use it. Nephew didn't go to rehab. Think it was an excuse not to work.
Sis liked the idea of having a small garden here. I did tell her that I would not help there. I don't like to do that.

Old 12-06-2020, 07:52 PM   #7  

Good Evening! It's been a cloudy gloomy day all day today. It makes me really appreciate the nice days we've been having. We went to the Sioux City church online, and will watch our local church later this evening after we watch Dolly Parton. We (Bob did the most work) put the tree up and decorated it this afternoon. I am always surprised at the amount of decorations we have that we never use any more. Since no one comes home no one gets to enjoy them but us. It takes a lot of time to get them out and put away the things that are in the way. I am in charge of lining up PEO officers for next year. We have a Zoom meeting tomorrow and I need to at least give a partial report of the gals who said they would stay in their office again. Since we didn't meet most of this year, programs and hostesses will hopefully stay the same.

“Gma,” I’m sorry you were so sick, the vomiting and headache sound awful. We have had football on all afternoon but I get the tv when Dolly Parton comes on. I just enjoy the holiday music so much. UPS has quit ringing our doorbell when they deliver a package. Fortunately I haven’t ordered anything that would freeze. Depending on where they leave the box, we don’t see it coming in the driveway and they can sit outside overnight. FedEx does ring the bell and I appreciate that. I’m sure it’s not easy finding people home. I hope your cruise plans work out for you.

Ceejay, our church is going to try to have Christmas Eve services in the parking lot. We’ll do a trial run the week before to see if it will work. It will be interesting for sure. Bob found his ceramic tree buried in a storage area in the garage. I ordered some replacement bulbs I found in a catalog so hope they get here before Christmas. I have never heard of a sprinkle shower either. I hope the baby comes soon! A tippy toilet sounds scary, be careful!

I need to iron a couple shirts for Bob so need to keep moving. Have a nice evening!
Old 12-07-2020, 01:08 PM   #8  

Afternoon
I'll just say there is more drama in my neighborhood and leave it at that. It's not nephew. He did call me this morning to ask for a ride and I told him yes. Means getting up in the wee hours of the morning for me but I'd rather have him working. AND I don't want to have a guilty conscience for him missing work.
The plumber is scheduled between 11 and 1 so I figure it will be here 1 before he gets here. The office girl just called and told me she made a scheduling mistake and could she reschedule for after 5 pm. I told her yes. So now I can get on with my day.
Keep hearing this funny noise and I'm thinking it's the hot water heater but I think now it's the neighbor across the street using a power saw.
I've cleaned up the kitchen and washed and dried a load of towel. Getting ready to eat lunch and go to the gym.

Jean
Didn't put any decorations on the tree but I did put up a table top tree.

Old 12-08-2020, 05:33 PM   #9  

Good afternoon! It has been a hazy sun and cloudy day but nice temperature wise (no wind) for this time of year. I went to the grocery store for bread and milk this morning and came home with three bags full. I spent the rest of the morning making a chicken/rice casserole for dinner. It makes a 9x13" pan so leftovers for another meal or even two. My zoom didn't work again yesterday; I could see and hear them but they couldn't see nor hear me but somehow knew I was there. Next meeting isn't until February so will need to do something about that before then.

Ceejay, I hope your plumbing is all fixed by now. I know repairmen try to keep some sort of schedule but I appreciate an approximate time to expect them. I’m sure COVID isn’t helping any. on another trip to the gym!

”Gma,” hope you continue to feel better.

I have to unload the dishwasher and check the dryer for dry towels to fold and put away. Enjoy the rest of your day!
Old 12-09-2020, 05:02 AM   #10  

Good early morning. Guess my brain works better early because I remember to come in here! We’ve been having pretty cool overnights but thankfully no rain or anything to freeze.

Jack’s Christmas present wasn’t delivered as they said there was no one home to sign for it. I was sitting not 10 feet from the door and no one ever knocked. They never even got out of their truck because I can hear the gate clang when they come through! I called and got excuses so hopefully they’ll deliver today. I still have to get shipping label on bff’s present and the gift cards all ready to mail. I need to do all the Christmas cards too. So, I’ll do all that the end of the week and get them mailed out. In the mean time, I have been a knitting fool trying to get this afghan done so I can get ut mashed, blocked, and mailed. I am about 2/3rds done.

I am fine now. I have no clue what hit me, but glad it’s over. We have friends that live in IN and he works for the FAA. He travels a lot and she posted his time has run out as he is sick and tested positive for covid-19. She is a proponent of anti vaccine so wonder if this changed her mind. People can do as they wish, it’s their body, but as soon as it’s available I am getting a vaccination. I have had every vaccine known to man, pneumonia, heb B, shingles, flu, etc and never had problems. I know occasionally people do, but these idiots that put out false info to make a name for themselves do no one any favors. These days anybody who believes anything in print should have their heads examined. Used to you could count on news reporting ti be honest and fair, but it’s all sensationalism and very little accuracy. Wouldn’t surprise me if the fact checking has gone the way of the dinosaur.

CeeJay: Well hope the plumbing issue is resolved. Everything in this condo is over 40 yrs old so we just replace and repair. We’ve replaced all the appliances, the garage door and opener, some plumbing issues, copper wiring, ceiling fans and light fixtures, etc, etc. Jack does what he can, but he’s not real handy unless it us electrical. Even that, the house was wired weirdly and we ended up a few years ago having his boss come because Jack couldn’t find the issue. They ended up having to run through every circuit in the downstairs to find the problem. It was strange. These were built cheaply too.

Jean: I watched an old 1938 version of, “A Christmas Carol” last night. I try to catch then when they are on as I enjoy seeing how the different Scrooge’s are played. I’ve seen pretty much every one including the Muppets. I wonder why you continue to have trouble. You going to get together with family this year? It sure has been a mess everywhere.

Everyone have a good day today. Off to knit.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 07:30 PM   #11  

As Fred Flintstone would have said Yabba dabba do, my plumbing issues are fixed.
Drove to Branson yesterday and picked up nephew to take his computer to Springfield to his office to exchange it. He finally got a brand new one. He was happy. He wanted to stay with me at the condo so he did. Then took him back to where he is staying.in Branson. Brought home some more packed boxes for storage for sis.
I've ordered some things online for myself and all things except my pillow cases have been delivered. Think this is an easy way to shop. Tomorrow I need to go to Ash Grove and pick up the mail then go to the grocery store.
I love these 70 degree temperatures. Need to do a few things outside tomorrow also
I've been getting social security scam calls, a recording that tells me they have suspended my account until I call them back to resolve the issue. Supposedly their is suspicious activity on my account.

gma
I think I'm going to get the vaccine too. Mother took us girls down to take those polio sugar cubes. I also had the pneumonia injections and the over 65 large dose flu injection this year. Glad you are feeling better.

Jean
Your chicken casserole sounds very good. Wish I had an oven. That's next on my list of things to repair. Nephew didn't take care of things.
Old 12-10-2020, 12:04 PM   #12  

Good Morning! It's a cloudy morning in my neighborhood and supposed to be our last "warm" day before a cold front moves through. The predicted snow appears quite a bit south of us on the weather map; I hope that is right! We are meeting my stepsister and her husband at a coffee shop for lunch today. Her daughter bought it earlier this fall; she had worked there when she was in high school. The owner had to close in March because of COVID, then decided to retire. I am also picking up my most favorite decorated Christmas cookies. I wrap them separately and freeze them to share on Christmas Day. That may be the extent of my baking. I tried to balance the gift shop check book this morning, didn't balance, and I can't find my mistake. So I put it aside for a day or two then try again. I'm sure it is something stupid on my part.

“Gma,” I put a note by the front asking UPS to ring the doorbell when they deliver. Another package spent the night outside. The UPS and FedX trucks are still delivering into the evening around here. The last UPS package/plastic bag was so dirty I took it in the garage using a pair of pliers! We are planning Christmas at Jason’s again this year, and Beth’s family will also be there. They want us to stay overnight and as much as I love them, it is a hassle to pack for an overnight stay. Bob says Ernie will be fine and we will be home before noon the next day. His sitter doesn’t think she could do shots and he would hide from anyone else.

Ceejay, I just got one of those social security calls this morning. It was a local number so I answered it. It’s nice of you to help your nephew, another jewel in your crown! I’m not going to be first in line for the vaccine shot. It took me a long time to get the flu shot.

Not much else is newsy from here. Bob will be home soon as we have an hours ride before lunch. Hope you enjoy a terrific Thursday!
Old 12-10-2020, 10:56 PM   #13  

Feeling a bit down tonight, but hopefully tomorrow will be better after a good sleep tonight.
Went to Ash Grove to pick up the mail. Stopped at Sonic for lunch cause I was running errands and wanted a burger. When I got back into Springfield I stopped at the gym and did 30 minutes on the NuStep cardio machine. and completed 24 reps on the lateral pull down machine. Came back home and it was so pretty and warm that I worked in the garage. Took some plastic lawn chairs to the shed and I really need to take some more things but that will be for another day. I moved my old car over which is now nephews, he bought it, and now my vehicle is in the garage too. I'm pleased.

Jean
It's good to put something like balancing a check book down and picking it up later with a fresh mind.
The weather people are predicting snow in our forecast but I don't think it will amount to much. Last time it was predicted it didn't materialize. I don't know about you but I like to be in my own bed at night. However, Branson is almost home to me now so I can sleep there very well.
Old 12-12-2020, 03:25 PM   #14  

Good Afternoon! It's another cloudy and very windy day in my neighborhood. The thermometer says 30 but it feels a lot colder. We counted church money this morning and my co-counter made the sub do the work. I think she will be good. We balanced on the first try which is always a plus, $11,000+ went to the bank. Next week I will do the bank deposit which always makes me nervous. All the banks have shut their lobbies again so have to go through the drive-up which slows down the process. I stopped at Walgreens to pick up a couple things I had coupons for. The Olay shelves have been pretty bare for weeks as have some of the other items I buy. I got the last tube of Crest and the Olay moisturizer I wanted was still awol. I also wanted Sudafed, 12 hour which you have to get through the pharmacy, and they only had their own brand. I asked the pharmacy clerk why vitamins, etc., shelves were so empty and she just said that their quantities had been cut back. I just said making multiple trips without success would make me go to WM. The checker by the door is an older gal that I like and there was no customer, so I asked her the same question. She asked what I was looking for and I told her five or six items that weren't available for several weeks. She said I could order online and pick them up at the store. I don't think so. My time is not that valuable but it is irritating, especially with colder temps and snow on the way, to make multiple trips. It took longer to do my part at church so I bypassed a couple other stops to do later.

Ceejay, I hope you are feeling more “up” today! I’ve read where exercising makes one feel better. You did good at the gym, not to mention working in the garage! We got just a skiff of snow last night, enough to just cover the edge along the patio and driveway. It’s gone now, guess the wind scattered it. We bought the bed for “our” bedroom at Jason’s. It is comfortable but they keep their house cooler and we are in the basement so it is different. We have a full bath, tv, the fireplace, bar with special lighting and all is very nice. We know we can always stay after games, etc., but it’s just easier to come home. With Ernie needing shots, I hate to get him off his schedule. I know he will be fine but it is a concern.

I have sheets in the dryer so will put the bed back together when they are done, then go to the store. I want to make the Party Mix and need to pick up a pork loin. Not much else going on here, pretty quiet. Hope you are enjoying a nice sunny day!
Old 12-13-2020, 01:41 PM   #15  

It's snowing!. So far it is not sticking so that's a plus. It started out as little bitty flakes but now have grown in size. Predictions of 1 to 3 inches. And since I don't have to get out I do not mind.
Watched 2 church services this morning.
Sis spent the night last night but went back to Branson because of the snow predictions. Sunday's are hard for her and it doesn't help matters that she is in a so called feud with her ex daughter in law over the kids. Needless to say they are both controlling and neither will give an inch. It's stupid to me so I'm trying to stay out of it. Her son doesn't take sides and that upsets her more.
Still no baby. But she did have some contractions yesterday.

Jean
Glad that counting the church money was quick and accurate. I'd need a body guard for that much deposit.
I do feel better just felt down an out due to all the commotions that go in this family.