Old 03-01-2020, 10:25 PM   #1  

Default Do I HAVE to exercise?

Hello.

Brief background- I was diagnosed as diabetic about 2 years ago. Been prediabetic about 10-15 years. Stopped taking meds about a year ago because of the side effects (too nasty to get into). Tried to control my BS readings with traditional diet advice and kept gaining weight. This last Jan. 1st I started LCHF at 190 lbs. I have been really, really good. Mostly eating meat and veggies. I haven't had ANY of my favs (pasta, bread, potatoes, sugar, rice, ect.) for 2 months. And guess what? Still 190 lbs. and still the same high glucose readings! They are never under 100. I am so freakin' tired of deny, deny, deny for nothing!

I am off work (disabled. Back surgery) till July and I KNOW once I get back, I will not have time to exercise, (I commute 2 hours a day and work in a prison) so I'm trying to do all this with food. Is there any hope for me? Do I just keep plugging along or am I just kidding myself on the exercise thing?

Thanks for any advice!

Heidi
heidis_law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 05:30 AM   #2  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

sad to say , you need the exercise You need it to help control your blood sugar. Exercise does not usually make you lose weight, unless you get into more extremes. But it does tone you and help you regulate your hormones, including blood glucose and insulin.
If you did not tolerate metformin, you should consider something else, or read "the Diabetes Code" by Dr. Fung and try that. If the weight comes off with that, you may be able to avoid meds. But being off meds could put you at risk of diabetic complications, especially if you are unable to move the weight.
You many also want to have thyroid and other things checked since you are having trouble losing weight.
Blessings, best wishes, welcome!
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 11:37 AM   #3  

Thank you for the advise. I've had my thyroid checked several times and it's all normal. I've tried lots of meds and they all give me horrible reactions. I guess since I'm turning 50 soon, and on such a strict diet which will have to be forever, I'm a little down. At least my BG numbers are rarely over 200 now, so that's a plus. Also, cutting the carbs has made my cravings go way down so I'm not obsessed with food anymore. I don't know. Exercise will not happen once I go back to work. Unless I cut out sleep, there is zero time to fit it in.

I appreciate the response. I was here years and years ago before I was diabetic and I remembered this was the place I felt people understood me and didn't just cast me off as a fat glutten. Nice to be back. Thanks.

Heidi
Old 03-02-2020, 12:30 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

If Metformin didn't work for you, you could try Berberine. It is a supplement, not a med, and is known to work like Metformin without the side effects. It is sold on Amazon and probably in health food stores.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 10:36 PM   #5  

Thank you, Wannabehealthy. I will definitely look into that supplement. I am slowly trying to get off all meds because the doctors make me crazy. They push them on me even when I say enough is enough. I really want to cure myself with nutrition. I am doing so much better saying no to junk and carbs!

Heidi
Old 03-03-2020, 06:55 AM   #6  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Heidi: nothing more frustrating than working it so hard and feeling like you are not getting anywhere. Did you say that right that your BG goes over 200? is that fasting or after meals?
Where was it before?
Are you also on insulin? I am assuming you are not, but that is still pretty high.
Tell us a bit about your job? Are you at a desk? Or moving around within the prison? Is that not exercise? Or not enough to get your heart rate up?
I know it feels odd to be working at things that you can't do when you are working, but you would still be able to be active on days off/weekends etc. I am assuming there is physiotherapy involved if you are off with an injury and recovering from surgery.
So I wonder too what you mean by exercise. I am thinking about walking basically. I get about 90 minutes most days, just getting about 10 thousand steps in. I don't mean joining a gym and working out 5 times a week etc.
If you are doing desk work, can you get a standing desk so that you are not sitting all day. I am putting a riser on my desk so that I can do both.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 03:12 PM   #7  

Fatmad: My BG's have been all over the place, but I noticed they are better. Between 110-180. Never under 100, even after fasting for 16+ hours! I swear I don't eat carbs or sugar. I eat meat and veggies (salads, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, and zucchini are my go to's. I used to hate veggies so really proud of myself). I only use avocado oil to cook in, or butter. I research contently because I'm not working. Thought I would take this time to do it since I have zero time before/after work.

I am a teacher at prison and mostly sit, unfortunately. We aren't allowed to do much walking and mingling around the inmates, so I pretty much stay behind my desk and they come to me for help.

I like to walk, but consistency is hard. A day here and there feels like nothing when I know you have to get in at least 40 min. 5 days a week. I can NOW, but in the back of my mind I'm thinking "why keep this up if it's not forever". I am a huge saboteur with myself!

I don't take insulin and never will. I know people just get fatter and fatter when taking insulin. I am committed to not going back to my old diet. I refuse to let myself get all those horrible complications from Diabetes. With all that said, I am a realist. Looking at my numbers now and what I'm doing (and am willing to do for the rest of my life), I will not live to 100, and I'm ok with that. Like you said, it is frustrating not to see better results with things I'm doing now. It is what it is. Hopefully I can meet more people here like you who are going through the same things.

Heidi

Last edited by heidis_law; 03-03-2020 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-02-2020, 12:20 PM   #8  

Default It's something you can do.

hi, Heidi
Yes, you will have to exercise some even if it is at work, there are some simple exercises you can do while sitting or standing. So don't let that be your excuse. Work it out.
delo7208
delo7208 is offline   Reply With Quote