Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 02:55 PM   #1  

Default Question re estrogene in foods

Ok I have a questions. If you have read my previous post under 'Cancer' you will see that I am a surviver of this dreadfull disease and recovering from radiation. Also am a compulsive overeater -- don't really like to admit that one -- and have a lot of weight to lose.

So my question is this: I have heard that there are certain foods that have a lot of estrogen in them -- does anyone now what these foods are or how I can get a list of them. To much estrogen is not good if you have cancer so I want to revise my food plan accordingly if possible. One food I have been told that is bad for this is yogurt.

Thanks for any help
Marilyn/Sprout
Old 09-13-2003, 09:30 PM   #2  

Default foods w/ estrogen

Here's an online list of foods containing estrogen and foods that inhibit estrogen production:

http://holisticonline.com/Remedies/h...htm#containing

In re: to your other post about sugar and white flour, have you looked into low-carbing--Atkins, South Beach-- or Sugarbusters?
Old 09-14-2003, 12:33 AM   #3  

Default Thanks Shari

This is a great help -- now I know what to avoid!

Thanks again

Marilyn/Sprout
Old 09-18-2003, 07:22 PM   #4  
it's always something

That's a mighty big list of foods to avoid! Before avoiding any foods, since this can affect your overall health, I would highly suggest speaking to your oncologist about this.

The estrogens in foods are not the same kind of estrogens your body makes. They are estrogen-like substances that "mimic" our estrogen, but can be 1000 times weaker, and not have a negative effect on your health. The nutrients in the foods can boost your immune system.

I had ovarian cancer in 88, and I don't avoid any foods that contain these substances. I was on ERT for more than 10 years, only recently stopped because they discovered it didn't protect you after all. I consume a lot of soy because of the high amount of phyto-estrogens, including isoflavones, which are recommended for heart health.

These foods are recommended on the www.breastcancer.org website, so I doubt they would be harmful. But again, you should consult your oncologist for advice. Your personal situation could be completely different and you may have specific dietary requirements.
Closed Thread