Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 01-20-2019, 03:06 PM   #1  
Noob to weight loss

S/C/G: 155/147/125

Height: 5'3

Question Hypoglycemia and the fear of being hungry

Hi everyone!

This is my first tread so plz let me know if it's not the right way to do it

I've seen some discussion about diabetes, but haven't found any recent about hypoglycemia, which is close but still different then diabetes...

I should eat 3 meals a day with snacks in between like a fruit and a protein, or a yogurt, but I feel like it's a lot and whenever I try to cut my calories I end up feeling weak. My blood sugar is usually lower than normal but just enough to be acceptable, but it can drop easily if I dont eat properly or enough. And then I end up eating way morethan I wanted.

Most of the diet I see on YouTube (yeah I know we shouldn't believe everything on the internet) are not suitable for me.

Anyone else is having this struggle? What are your tips and tricks about it?

I found that I can reduce my carbs intake but not completely and when I eat a high protein with tones of veggies and fruits, it helps.

What about you?
Merlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 04:14 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Hi Merlot. I don't know much about Hypoglycemia. I have type 2 Diabetes and can experience Hypoglycemia if I take too much meds and don't eat enough, but that's different from your problem.

I think you should consult your doctor about this. If he/she diagnosed you, they should be digging deeper to see what is causing it and address it.

Hopefully someone else on the forum might have the same problem and will chime in with some suggestions.

Good luck to you!!
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 05:16 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 193/159/140

Height: 5'9"

I have hypoglycaemia.. runs in our family. Low carb diet is awesome for hypoglycaemia or diabetes.
There’s a ton of stuff online on how to eat low carb. You don’t count calories. You just cut out bread, pasta, rice and any starchy veggies. Dr Jason Fung and Diet Doctor are best online resources. Eat protein and veggies, healthy fat and enuf salt and you’re good. Just read a couple books like Atkins Diet Revolution or Protein Power and you’ll have everything you need.

A person should never cut calories to the point where they’re left shaking from hunger. And hypoglycaemics definitely shouldn’t eat too little. An ounce of nuts or cheese between 3 meals. But nuts and cheese need to be minimal b/c they stall some people on weight loss. Just keep on practising and find what works for you.
Follena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 09:06 PM   #4  
Noob to weight loss

Thanks a lot, a new week is starting tomorrow, I will definitely try my best to find a routine that works during that time nuts are a good idea
Old 01-22-2019, 04:32 PM   #5  

Height: 5' 11"

The best way to deal with hypocalcemia should be, as you wrote, to eat 7-8 meals during the day, however, you should also focus on getting 2-3 g of soluble fiber in each meal. The soluble fibers form a gel while passing through your digestive tract slowing down the absorption of sugar into your bloodstream.

Good source of soluble fiber includes:

For breakfast: Oatmeal
For lunch/Dinner: barley, peas, sweet potato, especially beans, and avocado.
For snack: Apples, strawberries, Fiber One products, and oranges.

I would recommend you to track your calorie intake.
I am using the free version of MyNetDiary. It has a user-friendly interface and is very easy to use.
Mr. Legumes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 10:45 AM   #6  
It's a Process... 🙂🙃🍓🍉🍠🍊🍎

S/C/G: 227/just started

Height: 5'9"

I have hypoglycemia, too. I found if I have 4oz of lean protein 4 times daily (timed about 3 hours apart), along with berries, greens and asparagus (or fruits/veggies like these) I can avoid going hypo and lose weight slowly while feeling good. I've had good experiences with Medifast soft-bake brownies (it's a meal replacement that is mixed with water and microwaved), Bariwise cinnamon cereal, Bariwise mushroom soup, and Healthwise BBQ protein chips... When I needed something that lets me feel like I'm cheating.. But I can only afford them on sale; theyre high protein & high fiber content help me feel full w/o going hypo. Of course, whole foods are healthiest!
What are you doing thus far? What's been successful for you on your journey?
GiGiQue2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 06:09 PM   #7  
Noob to weight loss

Lately i am constantly eating small portions. I have a protein smoothie in the morning (with strawberries and milk or almond milk) on my way to my day job (in an office), then coffee and a bit later I'll have a hard boiled egg with veggies (carrots, broccoli, cucumber, whatever I can chop quickly in the morning), I usually munch my veggies during the afternoon. While I'm driving back home I'll have an apple so I'm not too hungry before diner. Diner is protein and veggies, sometimes a little bit of carbs since I go work in the evening. I often bring an apple in case I get hungry between jobs (2 different cleaning jobs). Of course lots and lots of water. In my desk at my day job I have a bag of m&m in case I feel my blood sugar get too low, if it's the case I take a few ones but lately I found out that they sell fruits and healthy stuff and the café downstairs.

Most of the time I count my calories with Samsung Health.

Am I the only one who works 2 part time jobs, day and night ?

I find it really hard to stop eating a lil something to treat myself when I'm going to bed... for a while I would have some chips and a drink, or wine and cheese, or cookies... but I'm working hard to have water with fresh lemon instead, it's less boring than plain water yet it makes a huge difference...

Tags
hypoglycemia