Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2003, 06:03 PM   #1  
I'm doing it this time!

S/C/G: 189/175/145

Height: 5' 4"

Default Success with A LOT of walking?

Hi everyone.

I love to walk, hate to do other forms of exercise. Somedays I am unable to get out of the house and walk, be it kids, weather, stuff like that, and I was wondering if walking was enough. Sometimes it's pushing a stroller too. I can usually walk about 2-4 miles.

Because I can't get out everyday, I would consider doing the WATP tapes too. (I have the 3 mile tape) But then I got to thinking...even if it's everyday, is walking enough? The people I see losing weight (and keeping it off) are all at the gym, or sweating up a storm on some equipment. I can't run because of my asthma. I'm a stay at home mom on a very tight budget. Seems like I don't have too many options available to me right now.

I would hate to go gung ho on something and have it fail, you know what I mean? I have so many other things I HAVE to do around the house (dishes, laundry, cleaning, shopping, cooking, watching kids, ect ect.) that I would hate to get behind on my obligations and still be fat and miserable. Time is as tight as the money.

Thanks for your insight. It would be much appreciated.

Heidi
150/155/135 (going in the WRONG direction again.)
Old 09-06-2003, 07:40 PM   #2  
it's always something

Do you have a treadmill, or can you get one? Walking outside is wonderful, but as you said, weather can get in the way. Also, using a treadmill can enable you to walk during other free moments when you would not normally go outside, such as very early mornings or evenings.

At one point (back when I was keeping track) I was walking 2 to 3 hours a day on the treadmill. I lost 45 pounds in 3 months, and I think 8 inches in my hips. My rear didn't droop anymore, either I ate a lot of food, including 3 meals and 2 snacks, never ate after 7pm, and drank a lot of water. Walking enough can enable you to lose the weight, though other types of exercise would be helpful for you to get toned all over.

A Glider is another option. A lot of members here have used them and are happy with them. One member reported the other day that she lost around 100 pounds by using her Glider for 1 to 2 hours a day!

http://www.qvc.com/scripts/detail.dll?item=F4164 is the one I have, and it's also available on EZ-Pay to make it easier to buy. I don't use it all the time, and I don't personally find it to be a replacement for my treadmill. However, it is nice for variety, and you can get a good workout on it. I use it when I watch tv, because my days are so busy (12 to 18 hour workdays) that I feel guilty if I sit in front of the tv. So I get double duty by exercising at the same time.

It would be great to have for standby when it's raining, etc. If you should consider something like this, though, you might want to try one out at a local shop before buying one.
Old 09-06-2003, 09:50 PM   #3  
I'm doing it this time!

Thanks Suzanne, for replying to me so quickly. I do have a treadmill, but it broke a few months back. It's a very expensive one (I bought it while I was still working last year) and I miss it terribly. I did call someone to have it fixed, but the guy gave me the impression it was impossible to fix and never called me back. I'm thinking of calling him back this week, but it just may be a lost cause. I can't afford a new one right now. I wish I could. There is some really nice equipment out there, but I'm not desperate enought to go back to teaching right now to pay for it! EEEK!

Again, thanks for the advice. I was going to be out walking tonight, but my husband just gave word of possibly going dove hunting with my dad and uncle. It never fails. I want to get out of the house, alone, so badly! Guess I'll just sit here depressed, eating something handy to make me feel better.

Heidi
Old 09-07-2003, 12:19 AM   #4  
Captain of MY Destiny!

Heidi, brisk walking IS enough to help you lose weight and keep it off! I either walk on the treadmill or do the WATP tapes, which I LOVE! In some ways those are a better workout than just walking...you really have to keep up the pace. The most important thing about choosing an exercise is to make sure it is something you CAN and WILL continue, so walking makes sense for a lot of us!

I do some weightlifting too, to build muscle strength. I have the Prevention Fit to Firm in 20 minutes video and really like it. It is a bare bones workout...you only need a chair, and 2 sets of weights, either 3 and 5 or 5 and 8 pounds to get started. The tape is great if you have never lifted before as it focuses on form, not flash.

Good luck!
Old 09-07-2003, 01:25 AM   #5  
I'm doing it this time!

Thanks Frannymae. I do love walking, especially with someone I can chat with, usually my mom. I won't give up my outdoors walking whenever it's available, and I think now I'll try my WATP tape on those days I can't get out the door. Again, I wouldn't want to do it religiously if it isn't going to work. I have no time to waste!

I'll look into that video too, for weightlifting. I need just a basic workout, just like you said. No time for flashy either!!

Thanks again!

Heidi
Old 09-07-2003, 07:16 AM   #6  
Om shanti

When I lost weight thirteen years ago, walking was my only source of exercise. It was indeed enough to help me lose 75 pounds and keep it off for about three years. The problem was that it made me utterly dependent on walking -- in my case at least five or six hour per week. When a job-change made that impractical, I quickly gained back all the weight, since my metabolism had been depressed. Relying on calorie restriction and aerobics to lose weight does work, but you need to be cognizant of what it does to your LBM. While my body composition clearly improved, I ended up with far less muscle than someone at my goal weight normally should have had, and that depresses metabolism.

That's why I consistently ensure that I get a mix of both aerobic exercise (some walking, some hiking, some cycling, some step aerobics, some Yoga Viniyasa), and resistence training (primarily The Firm, but also Hatha Yoga), and that, while I'm watching my calories to ensure I don't overeat, I also watch specifically my protein intake, to ensure I get enough to safeguard and help build my muscle mass, so I don't end up with such a slow metabolism again.
Old 09-07-2003, 11:31 AM   #7  

Heidi,
I walk as my only for of formal excercise. I am now 1 year into my quest to lose weight. I started out at 209 lbs and today when I got up I weighed 144 lbs. I also drasticly changed my eating habits. I haven't cut anything out but fried foods. I am not ding any fad dieting or formal diet plan. Doing all myself. I pay close attention to portion size like measuring and weighing things. You will be surprised what an actual portion really is!!!!!!!!! With living outside Buffalo, NY and the winters we have I invested in a treadmill. There are no sidewalks where I live and the roads are not an option for me to get out and walk. I also have 2 boys so the treadmill was the perfect option. I don't jog or run, just walk at about 3mph. Walking was recommended by my Dr as a way to lose weight and get fit. I have also dropped my cholesteral count as well.
Old 09-07-2003, 04:46 PM   #8  

Location: where the weather changes every 15 minutes-- Michigan

Angry great exercise

Hey Heidi. Walking is wonderful exercise, its also the easiest and the cheapest. they say that more people actually stick with walking due to those reasons. I lost 82 pounds by watching what I ate and walking. I have since gained some back, my own fault entirely. Dont let that discourage you. Brisk walking is a great form of exercise, it will tone up your legs, buttocks and even your lower abdomen. You will feel wonderful after you do it consistently, your mood will be better, your energy level higher. The rewards are endless. Please make sure you have good supportive shoes.

I was never much good at treadmilling myself, I did however do pretty good during the winter even outside. I kept a weight and exercise log. If you could even get a pedometer, I have one that is inexpensive, it logs how many steps you take, miles, calories etc. www.bodytronics.com (also no shipping when I got mine). Wish I could mail it to you as I'm not using it currenlty.

I hope you decide to stick with it, it will work, remember when you hit a plateau its just time to challenge yourself again. They say a good pace is 15 minutes a mile, see where you are and challenge yourself to shave time off that. Could you maybe sit down and discuss with hubby that you need some time out to exercise, perhaps if you could decide on a specific time for you to do that it would benefit you both. Increase communication and give you the outside break you need.. GOOD LUCK..

keep us posted
Old 09-08-2003, 12:57 PM   #9  
I'm doing it this time!

I walked 4 miles this morning, pushing the stroller. I'm going to use my WATP tape on the days I can't walk, and I also bought 2 Richard Simmons tapes (sweatin 3 and 4) with an Amazon gift certificate. I was wondering what I was going to buy with that. It sure came in handy!

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. Wouldn't have made this decision without ya!

Heidi
Old 09-14-2003, 02:34 PM   #10  

Location: where the weather changes every 15 minutes-- Michigan

Talking

Great job Heidi.. Keep it walking.. I'm so proud of you.. You're making the right choice, no matter what adding exercise to your life will improve it in so many ways., soon you will see them all and be glad you did.

keep us posted and please dont hesitate to ask for encouragement.. I'm here for ya
Old 09-14-2003, 09:04 PM   #11  

I just joined in on all of this and find it a great encouragement to read all of the messages about walking. One question, what is a WATP tape?
PJ in NY
Old 09-15-2003, 01:30 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 185/136/125

Height: 5'5"

It stands for "Walk Away the Pounds," the Leslie Sansone tapes.
Closed Thread