Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 06-20-2018, 10:26 AM   #1  

Default Wellbutrin users? NEW

Hi All,

I'm new here (obviously) and am looking for more stories from those of you taking Wellbutrin and trying to lose weight. I did search the board and have read most of the threads I found, but there really are not any updated ones. I just started on Wellbutrin 2 days ago after being on Cymbalta for 3 years and gaining 35lbs. My Dr said that the Wellbutrin *should* help my depression and my weight loss, so I'm hopeful. What has your experience been like?

Nice to "meet" you all!
Kim
bkfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:26 AM   #2  

S/C/G: CW: 180 GW: 130

Height: 5'2"

I've been on Wellbutrin for as long as I can remember and it hasn't affected my weight. Maybe it did in the beginning, but I don't remember it being anything significant. I'm also taking other medications in addition to it, so that could also be why.
orangecatmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 01:41 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 220/150/140

Height: 5'6"

I lost a whole bunch of weight when I first started taking Wellbutrin (like 30 lbs in 2 months, or something) then it has been slower since then. I took Lexapro before that, which seemed to just make me gain weight. Dr says that the Topamax I take with it helps.
NorthernLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 02:59 PM   #4  

I do not have personal experience with Wellbutrin. But if it helps relieve your depression and it doesn't cause weight gain then that alone would be great. Wellbutrin seems to be the only antidepressant I have heard of that deals with addictions and does not cause gain. I hope for you it helps with weight loss. But I hope it also helps relieve the depression. Good luck!
flower123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 05:28 PM   #5  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

years ago I went on Zoloft and lost 10 pounds without noticing. I felt a lot better and had good energy, and that was great. I was on the med for chronic pain at the time. When I tried it for depression a few years later, it was neutral, didn't lose or gain. I recently had to go back on an antidepressant again, and the one originally recommended by a consultant has a reputation for weight gain. My family doc wasn't comfortable with that, since I am pre-diabetic, and she didn't want to work on one issue to the detriment of another. So we are trying Wellbutrin. so far, the depression is slightly better, (since June when I started) and my weight loss is still going ok. I am doing IF/EF and low carb/high fat with that for the most part. I cheat with some fruit, LOL.
She had hopes that the Wellbutrin, which also treats some addictions, especially tobacco addictions, will help my food "addictions". And I am doing better about not thinking about food all the time, but the IF/EF also helps with that.
I hope you are doing well with this medication.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:21 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 187.4/176.8/155

Height: 5'7.5"

Other "weight neutral" drugs have caused me to gain - Wellbutrin has not. I am on such a low dose it doesn't really help me lose per se - but I have heard much anecdotal evidence toward that.

To echo flower123:
Quote:
if it helps relieve your depression and it doesn't cause weight gain then that alone would be great.
Becky Quilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 05:32 PM   #7  

I was on Wellbutrin for a year, but it didn't affect my weight at all.
Amanda1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 01:17 AM   #8  

How to lose weight in two weeks: the Mayo diet

What’s on the Mayo diet menu? Eggs, eggs and more eggs at every meal! Forget about starchy foods, fat, dairy products and sugar. Fruits are forbidden, with the exception of grapefruit.

Not very happy as a prospect! But the result is worth (a priori) the trouble because, again, the weight loss is spectacular: up to 7 pounds in 2 weeks.

Ultra-restrictive, this diet forces you to a calorie intake of 800 kcal per day (instead of the 2,200 generally recommended).

Except that slimming down in less time than it takes to say, always has side effects that we would do well …
godweightloss is offline   Reply With Quote