Old 01-11-2018, 02:38 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias — #18

Good Afternoon! The wind is blowing 25+ mph, it’s spitting snow off and on, and it’s warmed up to 11 degrees! Enough about our crappy weather! Bob had an appointment for his truck this morning so I gave him a ride to his office then stopped by the grocery store for bread and milk “just in case” we get the 8” of snow the weatherman came up with last night. Don’t think that will materialize but you never know. I’ve been sorting through old greeting cards to take to church for the kids to make cards. It was fun to read old hand written messages so it took longer than it should have. Bob was late coming home for lunch so we had leftover spaghetti from a couple days ago.

I need to wash the pans I don’t put in the dishwasher and get back to my sorting chore. Hope to see some more pretty faces here today! Enjoy the rest of a terrific Thursday!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:35 AM   #2  

Happy Friday! We have sunshine and cold, -8. Nothing on my agenda today except to dust and vacuum then pick up the gift shop money after lunch. Our banks are closed on Monday (ridiculous imo) so will try to make it to the bank this afternoon. Hope you all are toasty warm and have a great day!
Old 01-13-2018, 12:40 PM   #3  

Good morning! I kept thinking about sitting and posting and would get distracted and forget so haven’t been in here to post.

We are under horrible ice and freezing temps so we can’t get it melted even with ice melter. It is so bad I can’t leave the house. We have commissary tomorrow so I have to go, but not something I am looking forward to. Our deck and sidewalk to the garage are total ice. I am going to try and use my walker to get out to the car and leave it in the garage to come back into the house. There is nothing to hold onto to get to the garage.

I did get my house cleaned though. I am doing laundry and sheets today to get that done. I am having a rough time with my bad knee leg. It is cramping behind the knee and up the thigh. I slept with a heating pad wrapped in a towel on it all night last night.

Sandy: Hope you’re not experiencing the same thing weatherwise. My sister and I worked at the same law firm for several years and we’d ride to work together and she’d get a cinnamon raisin bagel and coffee every day! I loved plain bagels with green olive cream cheese. I’d get blueberry sometimes with just reg cream cheese. I’ve pretty much gotten over being mad about what they did to our back deck. Now I’m mad at SS for how they are handling overpayment to Jack. I bought a Shark cordless vac and best thinng I have bought in a long time combined with my mopping machine. Sure does make cleaning easier.

Jean: Txs for holding down the fort here!! I too have a smart aleck husband I have to disavow occasionally. Hard to believe Ian is in high school. Jack just did our taxes and we get more money back than last year so guess that’s good. Have you ever watched that “Worst Cooks in America” show? We like it because it’s so hilarious that people are that bad. I always think of you saying you don’t like to cook but at least you make good tasting food. These people think they are fabulous and are just awful. I really love to cook and bake, but it has become difficult for me to stand and cook. I told Jack last night if I had a stove about knee high where I could sit and cook I’d be all set.

Well my dryer went off so need to fold clothes and get sheets in dryer. Have a good weekend.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 03:56 PM   #4  

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining but it is bitterly cold, -4 with 25 mph winds. We are counting tomorrow because the banks were closed today. I had to take checks to the hospital this morning then stopped at the nail salon for a redo. The guy who usually does my nails was shoveling snow so I had another gal. Afterwards I was really thankful because when he came inside he was hacking and coughing almost nonstop. A cold is the last thing I need right now! I have card club tonight and should stay home but I will miss next month when we are gone.

“Gma,” we had sun dogs this morning! At first I thought it looked like a rainbow but looked again to see some colors were missing. We don’t see them very often but know it is super cold when we do. I have watched and I could be on the “Worst Cooks in America!” I know I’m not a good cook and don’t try to pretend that I am. Sad, but true! Hope commissary trip was uneventful due to the ice.

I need to keep working on house cleaning for crafty club on Thursday. Enjoy the rest of your day and keep warm!
Old 01-16-2018, 09:56 AM   #5  

Hello everyody.Our windchill is 3 and we have another 4 inches of snow, which is like having a foot in places used to it. Jack texted me the roads were awful on his way to work. Took a 20 minute trip almost an hour today.

Commissary shopping on Sunday then WM yesterday was interesting to say the least. Lots of missing foods from the shelves in both stores. Frozen pizza must be the go to food when it snows here because there were totally empty cases where they should be. We did get everything between the two stores though.

I figured I was tied to the house so I’d chair shop. Bought a new pr of sandals, (QVC was having a Qcard customer presale) and another handbag because I am lacking. Not!

Jean: I thinking cooking is either something you really like to do or just do it not to starve. My whole ability to cook has been trial and error. When I married all I knew how to do was make Rice Krispie squares, but hey who couldn’t live onthem, right? I think next nail day I’ll have to get a new set. My nails seem to be coming away from the acryllics and that’s usually a sign. Try and stay warm.

Susan and Sandy hope you’re surviving this nutty weather.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:12 AM   #6  
Short & Sassy

Morning ladies! Been having some computer problems so that's why I've been MIA. Frigid temps here with about 3" of snow which isn't much I guess but I still hate it! Gives me an excuse to stay in & get some things done around here.

Jean: It sure would be nice if you took us along on your trip next month! Wasn't that horrible about the nuclear missile scare they had? I'm surprised they didn't fire that guy instead of reassigning him! Sounds like your weather's worse there than what we're having. I'm sure ready for spring!

GMA: You're having the same weather as us. Misery loves company! Chair shopping sounds like a good distraction. How long did you work for the law firm? When I worked for the Corps of Engineers, I worked for our attorneys for several years. Very interesting some of the things people would sue the Corps for.

Been meaning to tell you ladies that my niece graduated from college in Dec with a BS in nursing. She's accepted a job at a hospital in Norfolk, VA. I forget the name of it. We're very proud of her.

Got some calls to make so I better get moving. Have a great day & stay warm.

Last edited by Midget2; 01-16-2018 at 11:13 AM.
Midget2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:47 PM   #7  

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining, no wind, but still cold at 5 degrees. We are supposed to hit 50 on Friday. I’ll believe that when I see it. We counted church money this morning and found out that bank was open yesterday. I have been working on house chores. Wish I could get cleaning fairies to come, then have every nook and cranny super clean at one time. This afternoon I had to order flowers for two members of my P.E.O. group, one in the hospital with pneumonia and the other home from having back surgery that I didn't know about. Stopped in the grocery aisles to pick up ingredients for a crafty club dessert and now home again.

“Gma,” I think of you when the weatherman shows the whole U.S. weather map. I feel bad for anyone driving that doesn’t know how to drive in ice and snow. Heck, we have natives here who don’t know how to drive in it. What is your handbag count up to now? Bob ate a lot of macaroni and cheese when we were first married. It is not his favorite meal! It seems like I do a lot of chair shopping!

Sandy, we had -34 wind chill last night according to the tv weatherman. We’ve been the coldest spot in the state a couple times now. I didn’t know the Hawaiian homes had missile shelters until I saw them on the news. I doubt where we stay has anything like that. I would hate to be the one who pressed the button. Congrats to your niece, the nurse! Several years ago a friend, who is a nurse, predicted a shortage of nurses and that is what is happening. Our daughter-in-law is a nurse but works in administration; she oversees Medicare and Medicade for company owned nursing homes in SD. Her sister is an OB nurse in our local hospital, and her mom a retired nurse. Being a nurse was my first career choice when I was a little girl, I liked their caps!

Well, I need to keep at the cleaning! Enjoy the rest of your day!

Last edited by Jean; 01-16-2018 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:01 AM   #8  

Good mornin everyone! Bitter cold here again this morning. I just hope they deliver all my stuff as they put it on the UPS truck out for delivery than don’t deliver it because they say weather conditions. Well, frankly they aren’t too bad for Jack who says the streets are clear and dry. Also, why are they not delivering the stuff they didn’t get too first instead of sticking us at the bottom everyday and then don’t deliver. I’ve been waiting for a pair of boots for 4 days running now. Surprisingly, the post office didn’t get all theirs done on Tues and sent a special delivery man out first thing Wed morning, then we got our regular delivery in the afternoon. I have boots, a handbag, three bracelets, earmuffs, and a 20 lb container of ice melt all supposed to be delivered UPS today. Wonder how much of that I’m going to get?

I’m gonna make chili today. It’s easy and warms you up. I fix cornbread with it.

Sandy: That’s wonderful about your niece. I have a sil who has been a cardiac nurse 40 yrs and is retiring next year, a niece who is a school teacher and a great niece who is a school teacher. My kids are in business. Kelly is a sr business analyst for St Judes and Jay is an advertising/marketing executive. It’s nice to see kids having stable lives I think. I was with the firm between 6-7 yrs. I managed all their filing including setting up a whole new way for individual files to be set up. They are the largest firm in the state and I worked at the second largest office. I did all the file management except intellectual properties. Litigation was my favorite though. We had some big clients like the school system, Wmart, and Notre Dame. It was fun, but I didn’t take any crap from uppity lawyers.

Jean: I lost count and when the weather improves I am cleaning a lot of bags out I no longer use and they’ll go to Salvation Army. This bag is a German company. I hope I like it as it cost a bundle. If not, back it goes. I found I really hate one of the more popular brands, Dooney and Burke. Their bags are all super heavy and I’m not paying $200 for a canvas bag just because it’s lighter. I may try and sell those that I have though. You never see nurses wear caps anymore. They’re just a symbol of which nursing school they went to. Too bad because like you I always liked the caps. Jack likes mac n cheese but he doesn’t care for baked and I liked baked better. He gets Kraft!

I guess I better get some breakfast since I took my meds. They can upset my stomach sometimes. Have a good day and stay warm.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:33 PM   #9  

Happy Friday! It is a cloudy 40 degree morning in my neighborhood. The weatherman is predicting a 6” snowstorm on Sunday for our area. The warnings started last night and we are right on the edge, I hope we don’t get anything. I’ve been to get a perm this morning and now heading to the gift shop to do the end of the week paperwork. We will leave around two for Ian’s game. I am looking forward to that!

“Gma,” I hope you have your boots by now! The delivery service is becoming about as dependable as the weather lately. I was told, by a nurse, the reason they don’t wear their caps anymore is because of germs. They still do get caps at graduation though, at least Amanda got her’s. Jason likes the Kraft brand that has the cheese in the tinfoil. Amanda buys the powdered cheese because it is cheaper, so I always give Jason his favorite for Christmas. I’m is favorite mom.

I need to get moving as the coffee and gift shop are closing at noon. Hope you all enjoy a good day!
Old 01-20-2018, 04:01 PM   #10  

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining brightly and it is 50 degrees outside! It feels like spring! We still have the snow warning in effect for tomorrow. Crazy weather! We went to Ian’s game yesterday. The kid that Ian takes turns with for the same position, sprained his ankle and will not be able to play for awhile so Ian played most of the game. The opposition guy was 6’ 5” but Ian gave him a run for his money. Ian had a good game and they won. I am just amazed watching these 9th graders make 3 point baskets! We went for pizza after the game and we were home by 7:30. The game was an hour closer to where we live which was nice. Today I’ve been doing laundry and working on gift shop money. I have checks to write but sat down for a few minutes before doing dishes from lunch. I made the old standard tuna casserole and it turned out good.

I need to get to the dishes since the dish fairy is awol. Hope you all have a nice weekend!
Old 01-21-2018, 08:51 AM   #11  

I need to write my post and not get distracted before I do each day. I knew I didn’t get in here Saturday but thought I posted Friday.

Well guess we shall see what happens with our idiots in Congress. Jack said he thought SS checks would be paid because he thinks it’s not connected to the shutdown. We would not get our retirement check more than likely but there is still time for them to fix things. I feel for fed employees though. The couple who live here and we have dinner with time to time are part of this. He works for the FAA. If they don’t get this fixed today, he’ll be furloughed starting tomorrow and she no longer works. They have two homes, one in IN and the apartment they have here so I feel bad for them.

We are going out to a Sunday lunch at the Butcher Shop today. We didn’t know they had this so we’ll see if we like the Sunday menu. I think I’m going to get the chicken instead of a steak.

Jean: Our stuff was finally delivered Friday, but my boots have to go back. They rub my upper ankle pretty badly. They would have been perfect too. Ian is making quite a name for himself in sports. I noticed my great niece is still continuing with her gymnastics and is doing well. I love tuna casserole and haven’t had it in a very long time. I don’t fancy it up though. Jack won’t eat it so I just make it for myself with noodles, mushroom soup and tuna. A lady at our church made the most delicious macaroni salad that had tuna and sliced green olives in it. I have tried to replicate it but it never tastes like hers did. She brought it every potluck and I went for it first every time.

Well, better get going this morning as we need to leave at 11.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:23 PM   #12  

Good Afternoon! It has been a gloomy, chilly feeling kind of day in my neighborhood! It’s been misting all afternoon. A guy at church said they have upgraded the amount of snow to 8 - 12” with wind gusts up to 50 mph. That doesn’t exactly make my day for sure! I noticed on the tv weather map we are now in the snow zone rather than on the edge like we were yesterday. We had a guest pastor this morning; he is young and enthusiastic, 20 minute sermon, and we were done within the hour. He can come back any time imo! Because of the weather forecast we counted church money this afternoon. The snow was supposed to start around 3, so we were be done by then. It hasn’t started yet. I have a load of laundry in the washer and another in the dryer, I think that will be my domestic effort for the day. We went to the show, The Greatest Showman, last night. We both thought it was very good!

“Gma,” I wish the politicians were learn how to get along! I am so tired of the President being slammed by the media no matter what he does. I didn’t like O but at least I respected the office. I think Congressmen/women shouldn’t get paid during the shutdown either. They need term limits and NO perks after leaving office! I make the tuna and noodles pretty plain; this time I added some peas and Cheddar cheese. The macaroni salad sounds good! My mom used to make one with macaroni, tuna, celery, and a little onion but no olives. I haven’t made that for a long time.

I need to fold dryer clothes which should be done by now. Enjoy your evening!
Old 01-22-2018, 10:05 AM   #13  

Good morning! We’ve had a thunderstorm. Looks like it may have moved through now. Last week cold and snowy, this week warm and rainy.

We had a lovely lunch at the steakhouse. Jack had filet and I got their fried chicken. It was delicious. Some of the best I’ve ever had. It came with a huge amount of real mashed potatoes and gravy and green beans. I gave Jack about 3/4 of the potatoes and got a salad instead. She sat us next to the window and it was a nice pleasant lunch.

I had to order a new shower rod. Five AM kaboom. Jack went to take a shower and the whole thing came down. I forked over the money for a Moen nickel one. It’s about twice the price, but has a lifetime guarantee. I had it overnighted.

Jean: Hope you’re not buried in snow. I agree with you. Why should they get paychecks when the people that live paycheck to paycheck don’t. It’s ridiculous that this keeps on. It’s all egos. Hugh Jackman has turned into a great actor/singer.

Well the dryer is finished and I need to get some hoousecleaniing done so I better get to it. Have a good week.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:25 PM   #14  

Good Afternoon! The wind is still blowing strong today. I thought we were going to be lucky and not get the snow . . . wrong! It finally blew in about 9:30 this morning. My new glasses were ready so went to pick them up and while I was there the sleet began. I decided to pick up a few things at the grocery store and while I was in there the snow began. Bob thinks 4-5” of heavy snow; he is sneaking up on blowing or shoveling. Everything in town is closed. I picked up the kitchen and have a load of towels heading to the washer.

“Gma,” it’s a good thing you didn’t get this snow! So much for clean cars again. I always order mashed potatoes and gravy with chicken dinners. I could eat potatoes every day. My house has stayed pretty clean from my crafty club efforts last week. I really need to go through kitchen drawers and cupboards but I have to be in the mood. Today, I’m not in the mood!

I have birds looking for food so need to clear off the snow on the deck. Enjoy the rest of a marvelous Monday!
Old 01-23-2018, 10:46 AM   #15  

Good morning all. No rain so far, but it’s not sunny either.

Having one of my bad days today. I got a good amount of cleaning done yesterday and was going to get my nails done today but not feeling well enough to leave the house today. I took some medication so I hope it will help me feel better. It’s pretty rough today.

Looks like my shower rod and hooks will be here today as well as my sandals. I am hoping the sandals will be ok. I may not be able to keep them on my feet the way they are made.

Sandy: Hope this school shooting isn’t near you.

Jean: I’m not a big fan of potatoes but Jack sure is. I eat them but I’d rather have other veg. I am a pasta lover though. Kinda funny as we rarely had spaghetti when I was a kid. I eat a lot of chicken. I’d rather have that than red meat. Hope you aren’t buried in the snow by now. Just think, next month it’s lovely warm weather for you.

Have a good one.