Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 06-03-2017, 04:24 AM   #1  

Default June 2017 Ups and Downs Support Thread

Hi everyone

June already, and time for our next Ups and Downs Support thread!

Please feel free to pop in for support and advice, and just to let us know how life is going
Coop27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 05:03 AM   #2  

Boo, I wrote a response an lost it

I wanted to do a quick reply to Jessica and ionbattery from last month's thread:

Jessica - it's good to hear from you! I hope you guys had a lovely vacation, and that your sinus infection passes soon!

Ionbattery, feel free to share your blog if you like - I don't think there is a post requirement...
Old 06-04-2017, 05:30 AM   #3  

Hope everyone is doing alright just now - out enjoying the lovely summer?

I've caught Jessica's bug I think - I've had the cold for about 10 days now, and it's being stubborn - my sinuses were so sore on Friday it brought tears to me eyes

We've been eating so poorly lately, but I was keeping my weight balanced by going to the gym. I've not been for 3 weeks though, because of a couple of bugs, and I've gained about 7lbs! My clothes are so tight now OH will get his final coeliac test in 4 weeks, and then we go on our diet. I'm thinking about starting off with whole 30 - have any of you ever tried it? It's quite restrictive, but only for 30 days. Most people lose about 10lbs on it - that would be nice! I've never really done a hard core restrictive diet before, I'm a bit nervous!

Last edited by Coop27; 06-04-2017 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:26 AM   #4  

Hi Coop. thanks for starting the new thread. I am sorry you aren't feeling well and have gained some weight. I hope you get better soon. I hate being sick, I don't handle it well.

It is a lovely day here. I have not gone out again. It just seems to take so much so much energy and want to go out. I know I should for my mental well-being. I bought a normal dvd player today. The other one I bought was wireless and I couldn't figure out how to work it. Hopefully, the new one will be simpler. i have exercise dvds to start and I can't until I get a dvd player hooked up.

The kitten is doing really good. So far, she is a Hazel. I see no balls developing.

That's about it for now. Much love to all.
lisaloveshearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 11:22 PM   #5  
I can do it!!!

S/C/G: 223/165/145

Height: 5'4"

Hello Everyone! Sorry I haven't posted in awhile. No excuses, except that I've been keeping busy. I can't believe it's June already!!! My daughter had her last day of school May 31st... which was also her 18th birthday! So that was a BIG day for her! She is now officially a senior in high school. My "baby" is growing up fast!

My surgery result remains uneven. I found a bra that makes my breasts appear pretty even, so that is a relief. But the unevenness is too obvious in a swimsuit, so I will have to get some kind of waterproof filler for the left side to make both sides appear more even. I was hoping I wouldn't need to do that anymore, but it looks like I will have to. Oh well, things could always be worse.

We had another incident with my son a little while ago and he went out to live with his aunt for a little over a week, but he is back home now. So far... so good. He has been cooperating much better since he's back home and joining in with the family more. He is trying to get into DBT therapy, which his psychiatrist recommended a long time ago for coping skills. He has applied for at least one job but hasn't heard back yet. I am just praying hard for guidance and patience with him and doing my best to take things one day at a time. I feel like we are on him constantly for one thing or another, which is often necessary, but he also needs our love and support.

Coop: It's great to hear from you! That is very odd about that girl with cancer who is angry with you for not contacting her when you haven't been friends in years. I hope you won't let it bother you too much. You certainly didn't do anything wrong! Sorry to hear that you've been sick and that you've gained some weight. I hope you will be able to reign things in once you begin your diet. I haven't heard about the 30 day plan you mentioned. I find very restrictive diets very difficult if not impossible to follow. But that's just me. I wish you the best of luck!

Lisa: Oh my gosh, your new kitty, Hazel, is adorable!!! Who is the other kitten peeking in at her in the first picture you posted? So cute! You cracked me up when you said no balls yet, so it's still Hazel.

Holly: Sorry you feel so self-conscious about your upper arms that you don't want to wear short sleeves. I can certainly sympathize, though, because my upper arms are huge. But I don't let it stop me from wearing short sleeves at all. I figure I have as much right to wear short sleeves as the next person... no matter what my arms look like! And... honestly... if you look around... there are so many bizarre things that people wear and look terrible in that I figure no one is looking at me in a normal short-sleeved shirt! I hope things are going well at your summer job!

JessikaBeth: Great to hear from you! Sorry you've been sick. Hope you feel better soon! When do you quit smoking? I remember you said sometime in June. Wishing you the best of luck this time around!!!

Last edited by IBelieveInMe2; 06-04-2017 at 11:27 PM.
IBelieveInMe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:29 PM   #6  

Kathleen, I am so sorry about your chest being uneven. I wish I could do something to help you, it's hard to hear you in pain and frustration. You're right, it could be worse. We need you in this thread, we adore you, you know.
Try to get your son back into DBT. It'll help him in time, it made my world easier to handle. I still need help and I am so lucky to get it.

Coop, thank you again for starting the thread. I forgot, plus I feel really quiet. I really don't have anything helpful to say and I feel bad about that.

I guess that is about it. I'm sorry I had nothing better to say.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:56 AM   #7  

S/C/G: SW: 323 CW: See Ticker GW: 180

Height: 5'8

Arrow

Hi Everyone

IBelieveInMe2 I quit yesterday! So far so good. We've quit a handful of times together (my wife and I) and I've quit probably a dozen times on my own. I'm really hoping this time is the last time.

lisaloveshearts Awe kitty!! What did I miss? When did you get her?

Coop27 Awe, sorry you are sick too. Yup going on 2 weeks myself. No bueno. If I'm not better by Friday, to the doctor it is for me

Things ok here, just got to work.. Nothing much new on my end. I hope everyone has a fantastic day
JesikaBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:54 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 244/225/175

Height: 5'2

Unhappy Emotional Swings

Hello,

I am new to this website so I am not sure all the ins and outs. I came about this site because I am having some emotional instability. Let me start at the beginning.

I am 34 yrs old and currently 225.0 lbs. I started my journey in April at 244.8 lbs, with the HMR plan. I started on a depression medication in January of this year due to my mood swings and overall lack of interest in anything (including my two kids). With the medication, I have felt better than I have since given birth to my youngest son (will be 4 on July 4th). I have had 1 dosage increase but I knew right away that the mood swings (change from 1 min to the next) were back.

Up until this week, I have felt very confident and positive about my journey. I have not once felt like the changes are hard, time-consuming, or any of the million reasons why convince ourselves to stop. Starting this week I have felt discouraged, lazy, bad-tempered, easily persuaded by cravings, etc.

So here is my question: Has anyone had such a dramatic mood change from one day to the other all of a sudden? I really don't know if it related to my medication or because of my food changes. I thought that once you got roughly past the 30-day mark it became easier as you have already created a new habit.
Any feedback, examples or suggestions are welcome!

acaligirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:41 PM   #9  

Hi ladies,

Welcome to the board, acaligirl!! We're glad to have you here.

I realized something today. I'm not totally happy. I'm not in a depression funk, I'm just not 100% happy. It's a lovely place to live, where I'm at. The lake is pretty. I thought I'd be happy enough here as to now want to move, like I did before.

I know I come across on the board as not being happy, I know I do. So anyway, what do I do? Leave Ohio like I really want to do?? How can I come to terms with leaving my adult daughter? Even though she is grown, how do I not be incredibly sad?

It will be a while, if I do make the decision to go. My mother's house will have to be sold, before I can leave. The lease on where I'm living doesn't end until Jan.

Ok, nuff with the downers. I'm sorry.

Much love to all.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:27 AM   #10  

Arrow

acaligirl Welcome to our little corner of 3FC. Glad you're here. This is a great little group of wonderful ladies. I am not sure what to tell you, other than speak to your doctor. I personally have had dramatic mood swings (but I'm diagnosed as having bipolar disorder.) What I can tell you is this, I have had a long history of mental instability, and it DOES get better. Be your own advocate and don't give up

lisaloveshearts Only you can answer that for yourself, my friend - to stay or to leave. Maybe make a list of the reasons why you want to stay and the reasons why you want to go, and be honest with yourself that you are not using a geographical change to seek happiness (not saying you are, but I personally have done that, and it's never worked out well for me.) Hugs and well wishes as always
Old 06-08-2017, 07:49 AM   #11  

Arrow

Hi ladies, good morning to you

So, this will be long, my apologies in advance

I live in a suburb of a major metro area in Texas, and while my work is only about 35 miles from my home, there is only 1 freeway I can take to get to work and it becomes VERY congested. It usually takes me, in no traffic, about an hour to get to work. Now, if there's traffic - or God forbid an accident - it has taken as long as 2.5 hours! Anyway, So am a counselor intern, and I work 12 hour days on Mondays & Wednesdays, getting off work at 9pm (no traffic at that time.) On Tuesdays and Thursdays I come in early and get off early, in order to have my Fridays off (which is fantastic!) SO, the point of this is - today is Thursday, and in order to beat the a.m. traffic I have to leave my house at 5am. Can't clock in until 7am, so I am taking this time to drink my coffee and come here to 3FC and catch up. Actually, I kinda like my quiet mornings before the rush

As for what's up with me... Things here are ok. I'm probably working too hard, but what else is new (LOL).

We are taking a longer vacation in August (I only took off 1 day of work when we went to Virginia a couple of weeks ago, as it was just for a long weekend). In August, we are -first - taking a road trip to Florida and bringing my mom's ashes to her sister (we had my mom's ashes split between us and her sister.) So we will spread her part of my mom's ashes in the bay. My mom used to live - and LOVED living - near her sister in Florida. We're going to stay with my aunt for 3 days, and then my wife and I are driving to another part of Florida to a port where we'll be taking a 4 day cruise to the Bahamas! WhooHoo! I've only been on one cruise before, last year, and LOVED it. She's been on several. Neither of us have been to the Bahamas though. This will actually be our first 'vacation' where neither of us have ever been. So that's pretty cool. Upon our return from the cruise, we'll make the road trip home here to Texas. So, it'll be a bittersweet trip between doing the mom's ashes thing and the cruise. And, please send me good vibes that my wife and I don't kill each other over the 14 hour drive, LMAO

As for the mom thing. It'll be 5 months since she passed on 06/20. I am doing ok, actually. I've been working through my grief and a lot of family of origin issues that have come up in light of her passing, both on my own, and talking with my wife, best friend, and in therapy. I'm definitely doing better. After my mom passed I was having panic attacks quite a bit, my psych upped my medication, and the panic attacks have mostly subsided (I do have generalized anxiety though, but I've had that for years...) I miss my mom a great deal, and the family of origin issues that have come up have really messed with me some, but I'm told I'm coping like a champ, LOL

I suppose that's about it for me. Ooooh, one last thing - I am registering to take my state licensure exam tomorrow! Eeek! It'll be at least 6 weeks until I sit for the test, BUT... I'm nervous/excited... Gotta start studying

I hope everyone has a great upcoming weekend! We're going to visit her parents in Louisiana.

Be back on Monday. Hugs everyone!
Old 06-11-2017, 02:15 PM   #12  

Jesika,
Glad you are doing ok with your moms death. Its hard. You'll be going along, thinking you are doing ok and something will happen and you will start crying. Do not be surprised if you feel like it is a set back. Its not.

I'm here, still quiet. Thinking about what I want to do with my life. Not making any rash decisions. I called Jennifer and left a message. I need to talk to her. I don't want to, down the road, just throw on her my unhappiness. I'm starting a dbt class next week to see if my emotions are real. I don't want to, down the road, move and still be unhappy.

I hope you all are ok. Miss you all.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:26 PM   #13  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Hello my friends!!

Coop - - Thank you so much for starting the June thread and for keeping us going!! I wish you and OH all the best on the gluten free journey. and for your interest in the Whole 30 which I do not know anything about..the most restrictiveness I do is the South Beach diet intro. Sorry to hear your sinuses hurt so much! Good for you for continuing to go to the gym even if your eating is off..I think the habit of exercise does so much to help our 'damage control'. and it just helps us in every day life .

Lisa - gosh my friend I wish I had good advice for you, I am so sorry that you are in that state of not being actively depressed yet not happy either. what is dbt? I hope it helps. And maybe a long talk with your daughter will help? Hey it IS scary to think of having to move far away from your child/ren. I hope you come to an answer that gives you peace and happiness!! you have been through so much. And deserve to feel happy.

Kathleen Oh I am sorry to hear of the problem with son but hope he is on the track again and congrats to your sweet daughter turning 18! but boooo to your unhappiness due to the uneven-ness of your physique. I hope you can find a bathing suit or adjustments to make yourself happier about your poor over-surguried chest area and yet you say "it could be worse" you are our cheerleader!! Yeah you are right that there are some pretty wacky-dressed others out there that I should not be thinking anyone's staring at my big arms. At least my arms work and are strong, right

JesikaBeth best wishes on not smoking! and your upcoming road trip (august?) sounds epic! yes bittersweet with transferring and delivering your mom's ashes but how sweet for you to get her to her sister and the cruise sounds marvelous! UGH at your commute time!!! wow. I hope your a/c blasts nicely when your are stuck in traffic! and good luck on the exam!

hi and to acaligirl!! please do come here often to visit, vent, whatever. I do not know what could have caused the mood swings..yes I also would have thought that once you have a habit for 30 days it would be a bit easier..but I was glad to read at least that your medication helps you feel better overall. I also suffer from 'lack of interest' in life from time to time, oh mostly during the winter. I have to fight it, because I know things get better. Hope you're better now

So I haven't been visiting here because yes I am busy at work! been accepting dining room shifts because our Slovakian workers don't come til the 20th of this month, and we were really shorthanded. the money will be good. I will have to pay out of pocket, $5000 (yeah five thousand dollars) for my cataract surgeries and I put them on credit cards.. so paying them off

Physically... I just got back from the doctor's today. At his urging, I weaned myself off the Wellbutrin and have been off completely since April . I have lowered my blood pressure by 20 points I guess from the cardio, and from it being daylight all the time and riding my motorcycle and loving summer. AND I am down 5 pounds from the visit in March. Not great but a step in the right direction. However...even though I am not obese (5'6" and 164 pounds) the doctor offered me weight loss meds!?

He said, 'what weight would you like to see yourself at?' and I said, "I would feel very good at 149". and then he told me of Phentermine, and one that I forget the name of.

I said 'hey, why not' and got a prescription for Phentermine. It is 37.5 mg, once a day, and 30 days cost $11.11 . I find it so strange, though, that a doctor who is very physically fit (he is in late 60's but very lean) and seemed to want to push me off the Wellbutrin, immediately offered me weight loss drugs (the other offered one was the one that lets fat pass through your system? um, diarrhea, cramping and anal leakage, NO THANK YOU ) anyway I took my first pill about an hour ago, and will keep you all informed!

Last edited by VermontMom; 06-12-2017 at 12:28 PM.
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 12:43 PM   #14  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Oh and I wore t-shirts 2 days in a row to work..you cannot imagine how self-conscious I was!!!! but I got through it.
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:01 AM   #15  

Arrow

Hoping everyone is having a good start to their week