Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-25-2017, 09:32 AM   #1  

Default Stationary bicycle - effects on the body?

Hello everyone

I'm a total beginner at exercise, never really exercised in my life except at PE at school (and that was years ago), so I apologize if my question is kinda silly/basic.

Anyways, I have access to a stationary bicycle and since it allows me to watch TV while I ride, this is the only type of exercise other than walking when running errands that I can actually stick to. Recently, I've been doing 30 minutes of moderate riding per day, but I plan to increase that as I get used to it. My question is, what kind of effect will it have on the body? As my body is pear shaped, I'm looking to slim down my legs rather than get them to muscle-y. Is bicycle riding recommended in such case, and is there anything I should pay attention to? For example, which one is better for my goal, riding slowly for longer periods or going full speed for a shorter period?

Thanks for your help

Last edited by NekoR; 04-25-2017 at 09:32 AM.
NekoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Gaining muscle does not make you bigger. This is a huge myth and one that has been debunked a billion times within the last 20years. In order to become "muscly" as you fear you'd have to lift really heavy weights for a very long time (years!). It would have to become your full time job in order to become that way.

So have it, do it as much as you like. IMO it's important to incorporate strength training as well but just doing cardio is fine if you want to shed some weight. Beware that you will always be a pear shape. That is the shape of your body, end of story. I'm a pear shape too and I've grown to love my shape. I've learned how to dress it to flatter me. My shoulders are tiny but weight lifting has helped my shape balance out, muscles add so much beauty.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote