Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-12-2013, 12:24 PM   #1  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

Question What's your favorite way to exercise?

Hey,

I don't often post in this forum, but I am really psyched that I will be off to the pool in about twenty minutes!

So, I love to swim and I am taking some swim lessons to improve my technique and strokes I also love long walks but I don't get my heart rate up as much with them. I really should get my bike out instead of it sitting in my bedroom. I find that I feel happier, and I feel a sense of achievement during and after exercising. Now, if I can just get my weight down by my eating healthier and not sabotaging myself by eating junk. I need to exercise more often too.

What are your favorite ways to exercise?

or what exercises do you want to try?

Let's encourage each other to get out there and get moving!!
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:01 PM   #2  
Susan

S/C/G: 200/170/130

Height: 5' 5"

I too love swimming. Last year I bought an aqua jogging belt and I now do water aerobics (I'm an old(er) lady!) and I enjoy jogging and "working out" in the pool. I also enjoy my brisk power-walks and I like getting out on my bike.

I do weights, treadmill, etc., but they're not as much fun as actually getting outside. I tend only to use the treadmill on rainy days or in the winter. In the summertime, I'd much rather walk outside.
Tuscany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:19 PM   #3  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

I love swimming but I am too afraid to go to the pool and do laps --- since I could do maybe 1-2 before I had to take a break and I feel like I would hold up the lane and annoy someone.

But the good news is that I also now love running, so I have taken that up along with strength training (also love!). Love love love strength training. The only down fall as it has made me dislike cardio more now... I used to be able to do cardio no problem, and now I somewhat dread it since I prefer strength training so much more.
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:47 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 310/*look*/140

Height: 5'9

Hope you had fun at the pool seabiscuit! I'm really enjoying bike rides now that the sun has come out a bit. Swimming is awesome too though. I also just enjoy walking with my kids.
Lecomtes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:45 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 200/167/150

Height: 5'10

I love zumba! Dancing is such a fun way for me to workout. I feel so feminine and creative...and sweaty! haha

I also love the bootcamp/HIIT class I teach. I do a lot of exercises that involve the basic movement patterns (especially squats....oh lord do I love squats!). It's tough while we're doing it, but I feel incredibly energized and STRONG afterwards
Andrea85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:54 PM   #6  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

running is my top favorite exercise....im currently working on HIIT running on the treadmill and getting my body used to running on a trail in my area

I also enjoy biking outside, volleyball, tennis, badmitten and walks but I don't do those very much at all

I tried weight training and got incredibly bored with it and hated wasting my limited gym time on something that I didn't LOVE
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:09 PM   #7  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

I love running... And I run A LOT.... But my favorite new thing is rebounding... I recently got a really high end mini trampoline with bungee cords instead of springs... And I absolutely LOVE IT....!!! I literally could bounce on that thing all day long... It is absolutely amazing!!!
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:28 PM   #8  
Crimson

S/C/G: HW:150, SW:139, CW:120, GW:120

Height: 5'6.5"

I love bicycling - both in the gym watching a series and outside climbing the mountain roads. On the rare days that I'm forced to do running because all the stationary bikes are taken in the gym, I'll still do my workout, but it's not nearly as much fun and I find myself looking at the timer much more often than I should. So, I am really not into running and really not into weight training. I feel bad about the latter because it has so much benefits and complements cardio so well, but I really cannot force myself to do it. Though that's not entirely true - part of my ongoing May challenge is to do at least one push up a day - a ridiculously low goal that I usually surpass, but that's the only way to get me started - telling myself "just gotta do one"

I also do dance classes - East Coast and West Coast Swing - but I don't really consider them exercise.
alizarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:07 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 145/141/118

Height: 5'4"

I have always been very active and athletic but have incurred several injuries at work, to my knee and my neck. This has meant a drastic re-work of how to stay fit (and get my heartrate up). I do a lot of walking with a daily goal of at least 10000 steps (my pedometer rocks) and now that my association's pool is open with the deep end of 8+ ft. I can 'run' with my aquatic belt and my underwater case for my mp3 player and work my arms, legs, and core without sweating, but definitely getting the cardio workout, as i'm running for about 45-60 minutes. I can also do some light resistance bands and through my Roku have found a channel called Daily Burn with all kinds of exercise formats for $10 a month...cheaper than a trainer, for sure. I also found a couple of free android apps that help you track your exercise/meals for the day called myfitnesspal and endomondo (has some basic features without having to upgrade to pro version). I also do some stretching and limited pilates to help strengthen my core.
klwcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:42 AM   #10  
Advanced Beginner

S/C/G: 304/ticker/150

Height: 5'5''

My favourite is definitely ballet! It's so hard, but so beautiful at the same time. I also love biking and swimming, but don't do it regularly. The best thing about exercise is feeling the body moving through space and feeling strong and light and flexible.
Alienor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:51 AM   #11  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Height: 5'6"

Running. I LOVE running. I'd rather do that than any other exercise.

Last edited by Novus; 05-13-2013 at 06:52 AM.
Novus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:11 PM   #12  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

I love to do the elliptical - I can bank a solid hour on one and get my heart rate up and my sweat on without having trouble pacing myself or trouble breathing.

I also enjoy swimming, and can actually get a good 30 laps or more in without a break. That's another one where it's easy for me to pace my breathing.

Outside I love to ride my bike and go on long walks, but these are more for leisure and family time than cardio. Still good stuff though.

I've always wanted to be a runner and so I've started C25K (this is my 2nd week). Running is by far the most difficult exercise for me to do, but I want to be able to do it so badly that I'm pushing through the pain! My biggest challenge with it is controlling my breathing.
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:59 PM   #13  

S/C/G: Not Moving/In Training/Ironman

Height: 5'6

Gotta say, Spinning/Cycling has been beat by HIKING! Especially after my hike yesterday!

I am such a nerd I've made a list of hikes I want to achieve this year that gradually increase in mileage and elevation gain, and then next year I'd really like to try an overnight trip.
100Mother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:00 AM   #14  
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Hmm.... I don't love any of them. I like a lot of them. I like jogging. I like spin class. I like weight lifting (only just getting into it). I can tolerate swimming a couple of times a month....that's my least fave. Cycling? I haven't uncovered my bike since a friend went under a bus. I do very much enjoy my Bikram yoga classes. But I guess what I really love is variety!

I do love tackling drills at rugby training, but that's over for now.

I used to love hiking, but family circumstances means I haven't been in years. Maybe I'll organise a social hike for my rugby team this summer.

What I hate? Sprint training. Yuck. But as they say in Bikram yoga the position you hate the most is the one you need the most...so probably goes for sprinting, too.

Last edited by AlmostMe; 05-14-2013 at 10:02 AM.
AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:42 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 303/ticker/169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy Krissy View Post
I love to do the elliptical - I can bank a solid hour on one and get my heart rate up and my sweat on without having trouble pacing myself or trouble breathing....I've always wanted to be a runner and so I've started C25K (this is my 2nd week). Running is by far the most difficult exercise for me to do, but I want to be able to do it so badly that I'm pushing through the pain! My biggest challenge with it is controlling my breathing.
I'm with you, Missy Krissy! I've started the CT5K program as well (about to do W3D1 tonight), but I really want to get through the entire program and run (with no walking) a Color Run at the end of June.

Wouldn't it be great if actual running felt like "running" on the elliptical??!!

Interesting you mentioned controlling your breathing - I hadn't thought of that - I'll have to look into some techniques.
Fit dad 2b is offline   Reply With Quote