WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Old 12-07-2012, 09:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 167/167/135

Height: 5'6"

Default Fruit and Veggie points

Hi, I know with the new WW point system, fruits and veggies are 0. What if I snack on alot of fruits and veggies a day, is it still 0 points? How does that work? Thanks.
30togo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:15 AM   #2  
Building a Better Me

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/250

Height: 5'3"

I've heard different things from different people (even some leaders tend to vary on this!)

The rule I follow is that I get 8 servings of each per day - then after that I count 1pp per serving.
Jacque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:57 PM   #3  
girl disappearing

S/C/G: 311/239.2/195

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacque View Post
I've heard different things from different people (even some leaders tend to vary on this!)

The rule I follow is that I get 8 servings of each per day - then after that I count 1pp per serving.
8 servings each? That's waaaaaaay too much fruit. Veggies are a bit more negligible since they are low in calories, but remember not all veggies are free: starchy things like potatoes have points.

When they designed PointsPlus and came up with the zero point fruit, WW built in 3-5 servings of fruits and veggies into your daily points. That's combined, not 3-5 each. 3-5 total. After that you probably should start counting points and instead of just randomly assigning a number like 1 point, I'd suggest looking up the calorie information on MyFitnessPal or SparkPeople, etc., for the fruit and get the actual point value. And remember that 1/2 cup of fruit equals one serving, so something like a banana is actually two servings

Last edited by Tudor Rose; 12-09-2012 at 10:58 PM.
Tudor Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:15 AM   #4  
It's me, Ashleyyy!

S/C/G: 291/~/185

Height: 5'8"

I made a fresh juice with my juicer the other day and did all the points and it came to 5pts per serving. It was an orange, and apple, 2 kiwis, a mango, cilantro and ginger.

I get it, if you have ever done South Beach you know the sugar in fruit is CRAY CRAY. I feel like with the new WW system an the 0 on fruit it would be easier to gain/not lose. I just try not to go too crazy, an apple for a snack at around 11 am.
smashlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:18 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 236.8/ See Ticker/ 130

Height: 5.5 ft

The first time I did ww, before points plus, they had no free fruits or veggies for free. Its kind of nice to have the mentality that you at least get a few servings of each for free. :-)
bekbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:45 AM   #6  

The WW plan is based on 5 servings of fruits and vegetables (combined, not each) a day. I don't count veggies until I have more than 9 servings, but I count fruit over 3. Even though fruits and veggies are 0 points, our bodies don't know a point from a pill. It burns calories and they do have those.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:33 AM   #7  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'3.5''

Susan that is a great way to account for the fruits and vegies, and it seems to be working very well for you. I think I will try that !
marigrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:12 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 156/150/130

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA View Post
The WW plan is based on 5 servings of fruits and vegetables (combined, not each) a day. I don't count veggies until I have more than 9 servings, but I count fruit over 3. Even though fruits and veggies are 0 points, our bodies don't know a point from a pill. It burns calories and they do have those.
I like your reasoning about fruit servings.
dosbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:33 PM   #9  
Susanjean

S/C/G: 186/170/130

Height: 5'2

Default Suprised to learn about servings

I had a great day at WW. I made my 10 % goal,and lost 3.6 lbs. I found out today that you are supposed to have 3-5 serving(Combined). I thought it was 3-5 servings of fruit,and the same with vegies. Also,didn't know banana's were 2 pts. I am fairly new,and wish this had been explained better.I probably have 4 serving of vegies and maybe 2-3 fruit,but have consistantly lost weight. My theory is that eating vegies and fruit,is a whole lot better than eating
g chips and cake.
susanjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:39 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 257.6/249.4/135

Ok, I'm fairly new to WW. I didn't realize that some veggies weren't 0 points+. Which fruit/veggies aren't 0? I tend to just grab veggies/fruit when out w/out thinking (last time it was edamame & I found out that was very much not 0)?
redapple84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:31 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 219/196/145

um great questions... is there a list somewhere to better understand fruit & veggies? I was under the impression they are all free so I'd have several pieces of fruit per day (when I say pieces I mean whole fruit, tangerines, a banana...)
allforHisglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:33 PM   #12  
Less of a Better Me

Fruits and veggies are zero point (there are a few exceptions that have a lot of fat such as avocados and olives. Also starchy vegetables - corn, potatoes, legumes - are not zero point). So, yes, eat 10 bananas a day and the banana is still zero point. There is no point that WW officially tells you to start counting points for fruits and vegetables. However, they did base the program on the idea of eating combined 3-5 servings a day.

All of that said. At some point people have to use common sense.

Just because something is zero points doesn't make it zero calories.

I hate bananas but I know a lot of people like them. My understanding is a banana is about 90 calories. Eat 3 bananas and that is about the same number of calories as a Snickers bar. WW would certainly prefer that you eat the bananas to the Snickers bar since the bananas have some nutritional benefit.

But, come on. Your body doesn't really care that much whether it is 270 calories of bananas or 270 calories of Snickers bar. (Yes, you may burn a bit more calories if you eat high protein and may absorb less with high fiber, but that is beside this particular point).

If you overeat on fruit or veggies then you will not lose as much weight and could even gain.

Oh - while they are zero point - they aren't exactly free. It is not like condiments that have minimal calories. Fruit especially can have a lot of calories. It is certain good to eat fruit in place of other more unhealthy foods. But, you still have to watch your portions.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:53 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 219/196/145

thanks for helping me understand this a little better.
allforHisglory is offline   Reply With Quote