Old 07-23-2007, 12:39 PM   #1  
wannabethinner

Default Fruit and Veggie detox??

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has tried this. From what I've read, it is safe to do so for 1-2 weeks. I am a little worried about not having enough protein during that time.

Any responses would be greatly appreciated
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 12:56 PM   #2  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

I wouldn't recommend it. I do think upping your fruit and veggie intake as part of a balanced eating plan is a great idea though. On that note, I do stick to fruit only til noon. (Diamond Harvey, Fit For Life book, 2003)
Jasmine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 01:48 PM   #3  
wannabethinner

Thanks for responding Jasmine----

Why specifically would you not reccomend it?? Is it dangerous? Even for a short amount of time??
Old 07-23-2007, 02:27 PM   #4  
I AM healthy!

Where have you been reading? Just off the top of my head it seems like something that would completely FREAK your body out! You don't want to freak your body out, you want to help your body out.

When I originally got into the fruit thing I even looked briefly at being a fruitopian. Basically eating ONLY fruit. Not something I would of been able to stick to though I am sure. I have read that doing that is very similiar and that people who do may exhibit signs similiar to anorexia nervosa. Congrats, I could trade one eating disorder for another.

From all I have learned I have found the best way to eat is to keep with a lifestyle that does not discourage any whole food groups. There are so many nutrients in such a wide variety of foods and we need them. What works for me? Calorie counting and eating mostly whole, unprocessed foods, keeping treat foods/fast foods to a minimum, exercising.

If you are interested in being a vegetarian we do have a forum for that however. That would be a safer way to go. As far as detox goes, just eating more fruits and veggies will help your body to clean up. Maybe try a bunch of fruits and veggies along with some whole grains and protein. There are alot of us in the whole foods forum that follow a similiar lifestyle, or try to.

This needs to be a new healthy lifestyle. What are you going to do after 2 weeks of "detoxing"? You will lose weight at first, but along with it water and muscle. After you get ahold of real food again, you will probably binge and pack on more than you are now. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:57 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I read that (fruit and veg detox) in "If Buddha came to dinner" and I actually thought about trying it but then I figured my body would freak out on me. It is only meant for a very short period of time, the author recommended even doing it for 1 day before going to the next phase (adding another food group) if you were doing it for the first time.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 05:19 PM   #6  
wannabethinner

I was planning to do it for only one week... or two at the max.

I have been reading that it is good for actually detoxing your body which is my concern... if I lose weight too then that will be an added bonus.

I just came back from vacation and ate all kinds of crap. I just want to cleanse my body then I plan to go back to weight watchers. I don't want to do anything dangerous, I just really want to be cleaner on the inside (if that makes any sense)

I do appreciate all of the responses
Old 07-23-2007, 05:28 PM   #7  
prepare for the BEST time

JMHO.....why don't you just concentrate on eating real, wholesome food in moderation and not eating "all kinds of crap"?

Drink a good quantity of water, herbal tea, avoid processed food and fats/sugar, get a exercise too. it's much healthier than a fasting "detox" and you WON'T lose muscle, feel too famished to exercise and lower your metabolism which in the long run, makes you gain weight.
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 09:09 PM   #8  
wannabethinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbleflys View Post
JMHO.....why don't you just concentrate on eating real, wholesome food in moderation and not eating "all kinds of crap"?

Drink a good quantity of water, herbal tea, avoid processed food and fats/sugar, get a exercise too. it's much healthier than a fasting "detox" and you WON'T lose muscle, feel too famished to exercise and lower your metabolism which in the long run, makes you gain weight.

Yes.. I totally agree which is why I asked the question in the first place. I don't normally eat "all kinds of crap" I had a bad week and I know that I ate things that I shouldn't have and probably have all kinds of toxins inside my body. I found this other detox thing that is not as restrictive. I know that only eating fruits for a long period of time is dangerous.... which is why I wondered for how long would it be safe.

I think you have the wrong impression of me... I am not looking for some quick way to lose weight. I am honestly trying to rid my body of potential toxins that I may have taken in last week.

For the most part, for the past year I have had good eating habits. I eat plenty of water, whole foods and exercise at least 3 times a week. I am not an idiot, I just had a bad week. Please don't assume that I don't do the things you listed. I HAD A BAD WEEK!!! Maybe you have never had one, but I did.

This one seems better because it does allow for protein.

What to eat when detoxing
We will start are detoxing discussion with a list of foods to include when on the detoxification diet. Any combination of the foods listed below can be used, provided that the combination provides a nutritional and balanced daily diet.

Ø Fruit - it is important to eat plenty of fresh fruit when detoxing, and any type of fruit can be used, including apples, oranges and more exotic fruits. Fruit juices are fine as well, provided that they are made with 100% real fruit and contain no artificial preservatives or added sugar.
Ø Vegetables - as with fruit, it is important to eat plenty of vegetables while detoxing Some of the most popular vegetables for detoxing the body include onions, carrots, turnips, cabbage, bean sprouts, peppers, mushrooms, corn, leeks, cauliflower, broccoli and Brussels sprouts.
Ø Beans and lentils - any kind of beans are great for detoxing the body, including dried beans and beans canned in water. Beans canned in oil should be avoided. Some of the most popular beans for detoxing include kidney beans, lima beans, pinto beans, black eyed peas and lentils.
Ø Tofu and quorn - These two popular meat substitutes are excellent choices for detoxing.
Ø Oats - oats are great for sprinkling over fresh fruit or for use in a porridge. Oats can be sweetened and enhanced with honey or fresh fruit.
Ø Fresh fish - fish can be a major part of the diet while detoxing. Some of the healthiest varieties of fish include cod, salmon, mackerel, monkfish and trout.
Ø Live yogurt - Live yogurt is a great choice for detoxing, as it contains valuable nutrients and beneficial bacteria which help to sooth the digestive tract during the detox process.

What to avoid when detoxing
Just as there are foods that should be included in the detox diet, there are foods that must be avoided when detoxing. These foods include:

Ø Red meat, chicken, turkey and other poultry
Ø Processed meat products, such as sausages and pate
Ø Milk, cream, cheese and other dairy products
Ø Eggs, butter and margarine
Ø Snacks like potato chips
Ø Salted nuts
Ø Chocolate and sweets
Ø Sugar, particularly refined sugar
Ø Jams and jellies
Ø Alcohol, tea, coffee and soft drinks
Ø Salt
Ø Store bought salad dressings
Following this plan for detoxing several times a year is a great way to keep your overall health at its best, and to avoid the problems associated with pollution and stress. This plan for detoxing is simple, easy to follow, and can be used whenever you feel you need a lift.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:33 PM   #9  
I AM healthy!

You didn't have to yell at her. Okay, we get it, you had a bad week. Pick up the pieces and move on.

As far as if it is safe to do only fruit and veggies and not much protein for a week, you are asking the wrong crowd, we are not your doctor. We do not know if your body can handle it or not. Heck, even "the experts" can't agree on which diet is best or safe or not safe. Just use some good common sense.

What you just posted, fish, yogurt, beans , fruit, veggies, sounds good to me.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:09 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

From what I've read in the medical community, there is really usually no need to 'detox' our bodies -- our livers and kidneys etc are pretty good at that on their own!

If you read the information about detox carefully from the sites advertising them, you'll notice they are very vague about what the actual toxins are, etc. If there really IS a problem, usually we can identify it more specifically.

I would be concerned not just about protein, but also fat! And other nutrients! We really do need "balance" in our diets to give our bodies everything they need.

If you think there is something wrong with you, however, it might be best to seek help from a doctor.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 11:10 PM   #11  
wannabethinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine31 View Post
You didn't have to yell at her. Okay, we get it, you had a bad week. Pick up the pieces and move on.

As far as if it is safe to do only fruit and veggies and not much protein for a week, you are asking the wrong crowd, we are not your doctor. We do not know if your body can handle it or not. Heck, even "the experts" can't agree on which diet is best or safe or not safe. Just use some good common sense.

What you just posted, fish, yogurt, beans , fruit, veggies, sounds good to me.

First of all... I didn't mean to yell... I typed that in caps because it seemed to be a point that was missed and I wanted everyone to get it. She seemed to be making sweeping assumptions about me... It really didn't seem like she understood that it was a one week thing and not somethign that I was struggeling with continuously.

Second... my original question was if anyone had tried it, not if it was safe. I am not looking for medical advice from anyone on here.... just if people had any experience with it.

I thought this forum was for people to share their experiences... so I asked a question I was curious about. I had read about it and just wanted to know if anyone here could share any real life feed back from trying it. That is it and that is all.

When you said you wouldn't try it.... I asked why because I wanted to know if you had tried it, or what exactly was your reasoning.

I have not defended doing a fruit fast.... I wanted information ( I can't say that enough)

Anyway, thanks for actually responding to me... I am not looking for a fight or anything just some insight and encouragement. Sorry if I am rambeling but for some reason it seems that you all aren't understanding what I am saying.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:13 PM   #12  

Redeemed -- I may not have answered your question either. If not, I'm sorry!

This really is a very supportive site, but as with all online communication, there are problems because it's hard to react to people when you can't really see how they intend to say something. It's hard to get tone from smilies!

And then, sometimes people get excited about a topic and tend to answer the question we want to answer and not the question that was asked!
Old 07-23-2007, 11:17 PM   #13  
wannabethinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyllenn View Post
From what I've read in the medical community, there is really usually no need to 'detox' our bodies -- our livers and kidneys etc are pretty good at that on their own!

If you read the information about detox carefully from the sites advertising them, you'll notice they are very vague about what the actual toxins are, etc. If there really IS a problem, usually we can identify it more specifically.

I would be concerned not just about protein, but also fat! And other nutrients! We really do need "balance" in our diets to give our bodies everything they need.

If you think there is something wrong with you, however, it might be best to seek help from a doctor.
THANKS!! All good points... and no, I don't really feel that there is anything wrong with me per se'. I just had been doing so well for over a year and then goofed up and was reading all this stuff about needing to cleanse your body frequently. Just goes to show that anything can be found on the internet.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:21 PM   #14  
wannabethinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyllenn View Post
Redeemed -- I may not have answered your question either. If not, I'm sorry!

This really is a very supportive site, but as with all online communication, there are problems because it's hard to react to people when you can't really see how they intend to say something. It's hard to get tone from smilies!

And then, sometimes people get excited about a topic and tend to answer the question we want to answer and not the question that was asked!
Maybe I need to start using smilies more often

But, I did appreciate your response. It just seems like people were reading more into my post than was actually there. I thought I was getting e-jumped

But... oh well... life goes on. I know I am new here and obviously don't know all the ins and outs and what sets people off
Old 07-23-2007, 11:23 PM   #15  

Quote:
I thought I was getting e-jumped
heh. I never heard that before!

As for smilies, they really can help!!

Glad you found the info helpful!