Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-24-2012, 01:49 PM   #1  
Days Go By So Quickly

S/C/G: 194.4/174.2/160

Height: 5'6"

Default Going from Gym to Home Workouts

I'm getting a new place and we will have room for a small home gym. The problem is that since you go to the gym, there is a certain mind set when your in the gym. Your there to work out, end of story. But I fear that now I have a home gym, I will start slipping up on work outs because, well, I'm home. Any ways you can think of to combat this?
BleuMaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:56 PM   #2  
Carbivore

S/C/G: 260/167/172

Height: 6' 2"

When I do jogging or fitness exercises, I always wear headphones with my favorite music on. It changes the mindset dramatically.
MadProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:28 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 224/Ticker/140

Height: 5"3

My job is home based too but due to my work schedule, I had to convert to home workouts vs. going to a gym or class. Just like doing your job from home, working out at home take a different type of discipline...different but do-able!

My advice would be to make it part of your schedule, just like you do your job, doctor or hair appointments, etc...Set a time and stick with it. If you cancel, you have to pay. If I cancel, I have to do 30 extra push ups at the end of my workout.

If you can, shut the door. Also keep the phone away from you so you aren't tempted to answer while you're working out. I also recommend the music. It's a great way to "shut out the world" and focus!
strutter5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:46 PM   #4  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Do you have anybody that you workout with that might be willing to join you once or twice a week?

I have few friends that like to come over for a "casual" workout while we socialize... I have a weight machine and a set of dumbbells, so we'll take turns spotting each other or sometimes we'll just both chat while one uses the machine and the other uses the dumbbells... And for cardio... one of us will use the treadmill and the other uses the exercise bike, or stretches and does some mat work...

But for my regular workouts I find I have to be pretty disciplined and set my alarm an extra hour early and "just get to the gym" even if it is in my own home... I find otherwise it's really easy to make all sorts of excuses that I'll do it later... I know for me once I start telling myself that I'll workout later, because "technically" I could any time... that's not a good thing for me...

So for me I still sort of need that same mindset of "I'm going to gym..." even at home...

Good luck...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote