Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 11-16-2010, 01:21 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 195/181.6/140

Height: 5'6"

Red face This dead weight is killing me!

Hi everyone! I'm new here. I am 220 lbs, 5 ft 6 in. Last week, on November 8, 2010, I made the decision to lose my extra weight, start healthy habits, and get in shape. For the rest of my life.

I can think of a million different reasons why I want to be healthy. But there is one huge reason that looms over me every day. I'm a 23 year old college student studying forestry and wildlife conservation. One of my dreams is to be a conservation officer. This type of job requires a lot of physical work in the outdoors. When I go to class and we do something like hike in the forest, I am always out of breath. I struggle to keep up with the rest of the class. I am sick of it. Not only is doing the actual job hard work, but many of these jobs require you to be in good physical condition to even be considered. I haven't applied for any internships or part-time jobs for this reason. I would be too embarrassed to walk into an interview looking the way I do now. I hate that my life is on hold because of my weight.

I have a short-term goal that I am starting out with for now. I want to lose as much weight as I can by May 5, 2011. This is the date I go to a 6 week forestry camp in order to get my degree. It's when I practice all I've been learning in my classes. It's 6 days a week, with almost constant physical activity. To be honest, I am terrified. I am going to be as fit as I can by the day I leave for camp. And after camp, I'm going to keep up my lifestyle changes. Forever.

I have failed many times in the past. And I know everyone says it, but I do feel different this time. I have a different mindset. I have realized that just like I keep my house clean, do my homework, work,and pay bills, I have another responsibility as an adult: I need to be healthy. I have one body and one life - you bet I better be in shape. I need to give up one thing I love - junk food and a sedentary lifestyle - and trade that in for something that is harder but gives me better returns - health.

Thank you to anyone who read this whole thing, I could rant forever but that pretty much sums up my situation. I have lurked around 3FC in the past so I'm pretty familiar with some of the faces already. I hope you can become familiar with mine!
chubbyhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:31 PM   #2  
Native Texan

S/C/G: 270/231.5/140

Height: 5'2"

Congratulations! & to 3FC!
KNOWING that it has to be a change in lifestyle is the biggest thing, in my opinion. We didn't get in the shape that we have from healthy eating did we?
I also definately made up my mind that this was it. And I haven't looked back. I must say, you have written a very detailed and articulate introduction.
This is THE PLACE to be for inspiration, motivation, encouragement, and support. You wil find some of the most AWESOME advice from people who have shared the same struggles as you. There are many different forums here. One for just about every age and weight. I know you will find the group that best support and encourage you.
for the first step. You're on your way to a healthier, slimmer you
Hugs and support on your weight loss journey

Judy

Last edited by islandchick1; 11-16-2010 at 01:32 PM.
islandchick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:59 AM   #3  
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

S/C/G: 340/276/150

Welcome! I am new too. Best of luck on your journey!
kerielaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:49 AM   #4  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Hi and welcome to 3FC.

Good luck with your goals.

Hugs
Michelle
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:37 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 227/ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Hello! Good luck - it sounds like you have all the right reasons and mind set going for you - the execution is all that's left. You can do it!
Grumbleworts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:17 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 290 / 225 /170?

Height: 5'9"

Welcome, I'm a newbie too, poking around trying to get an idea where to start.

It sounds like you have the right mindset & excellent motivation (doing something you LOVE to support yourself). You can TOTALLY do this!
Tinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:20 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 195/181.6/140

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! I've already stayed strictly on plan for a few days, so let's hope the future follows in tow!
chubbyhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:28 AM   #8  
On a mission

S/C/G: HW280/CW270/GW160

Height: 5'9"

Welcome! and good luck. Coming to 3fc is a better choice than you can imagine. Great support and lots of good info!
vdander24 is offline   Reply With Quote