Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-07-2008, 12:46 PM   #1  
Work in progress

S/C/G: 165/ticker/120???

Height: 5'2"

Default I'm nervous.... (so stupid)

I went to the front desk of the gym today and asked about having someone help me learn how to use free weights. I don't really know what I am doing, and I want to make sure I do things correctly and don't hurt myself. She told me to make an appointment with Justin. I want to learn, I really do... but I am so nervous about looking stupid in front of this Justin guy. Every single trainer in my gym is... well... wicked hot. All those muscles and all that yumminess... I don't want to feel like a flabby loser in front of him. I feel really stupid for being nervous, but I can't help it. My husband is so little (lol, he's 5'2" and literally 20 lbs lighter than I am) and so quiet and sweet- I am not used to being around hunky manly men, lol. Should I just push through it and make an appointment, or just try to read up on weights and figure it out on my own?
LittleMoonRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:53 PM   #2  
One pound at a time!

S/C/G: 264/239/199

Height: 5'6"

Keep the appointment. It's his job to help you out. Don't worry about looking stupid, just think about all the other people he has appointments with that don't know anything either. That's why you're asking for his help. And I'm sure he has appointments with people that are much bigger and weaker than you. Use this opportunity to learn and ask questions!

Last edited by bethbeth; 03-07-2008 at 12:53 PM.
bethbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 01:24 PM   #3  

S/C/G: sw300/cw263/gw140

Height: 5'1

Keep the appointment. It is, hopefully, just how you are feeling now. Surely Justin is good enough at his job to make you feel comfortable once you are with him.
And, if not, you might need to consider a different gym, at least for now. Some people do not feel comfortable in the kind of 'serious' gyms that draw super healthy people for heavy workouts until they are thinner and healthier. Maybe you need curves or something simularly lowkey?
tsatske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 01:29 PM   #4  
Made of Starstuff

Definitely keep that appointment!

He's an instructor, and I'm sure he's used to dealing with people who need to learn. Be frank with him about your nervousness. Just tell him that you don't know what you're doing, and you're afraid you'll make a stupid mistake. I don't think you need to tell him that he's a hunk if he is, though lol
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 01:35 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 153/137/125

Height: 5'5"

I definitely should have joined a gym instead of buying my treadmill/free weights, they totally didn't come with hot trainers...
TigerSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 01:43 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 262/259.2/160

Height: 5'6

Keep the Appointment! Don't back out!

If you were gonna do it on your own you would have done it already. Clearly you will save yourself time and get the most benefits if you meet with him.

I had lost 50lbs and wanted to get help from a trainer on a few things but got too intimidated and didn't. Now I'm back up the 50lbs and starting over again. Ask for help when you need it!

Of course he's hot - I have yet to see an ugly guy that works in my gym.

Once I get my weight down and into a good regular routine I'm gonna start doing weights and that means asking the Hottie Weight Trainer guy to help me. I watch him helping others all the time so I'm not worried about it.

They help people all the time - that's what they are there for - that's what they love to do. And I'm sure they love to see the progress that you make.

Good Luck!
kl_life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 01:48 PM   #7  
This Time is for Real

S/C/G: 272/261.2/156

Height: 5'6.5

First thing first...You are NOT stupid. I have had that same type of fear... Second...their job is to help you. Just go and remeber everytime you see your Justin, there will be less of you to see yay for you!!!
Mixie Molloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 02:19 PM   #8  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

Just think - going and keeping your appt. with Justin - it will be another accomplishment in your weight loss journey that you can be proud of! A fear that was conquered and over-come! Whoo HOO!

(AND you get the added bonus of looking at a hottie while lifting weights! Mmmm... Eye candy! No calories!!)
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 02:20 PM   #9  

He's just like a doctor -- sees tons of different people all the time, it's a job to him -- I doubt he will walk away saying "what a bunch of crazy questions" -- remember, all the "hot" people at the gym probably spent their first week asking him questions to. And, why pay the membership fee and miss out on using the equipment you want. If you try to figure it out on your own, you risk looking lost anyway and wasting time you could use for a good workout. Besides, now that you are lifting weights, you get to hang out with the "beautiful people" too -- which makes you one of them!! Make yourself a role model for the next person who is too shy to ask for help!! Good luck.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:07 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 167/126/117

Height: 5'3

I had a big hunky trainer for a few sessions. Believe me, this Justin hottie will probably come chat with you while you're working out from now on. I think part of their job is flirting with the clientelle to keep us motivated and I never minded! (Also, there's nothing like hanging around with a big hunky man to make you feel like a petite little thing.)

For them, it must be a great reward to see people transform their bodies based on their advice. So go!
LeighHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 04:16 PM   #11  
The Princess

S/C/G: 225/206/150

Height: 5' 7"

All this talk about Mr. Hunk makes me wish I lived closer to a gym!
Dorys Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 04:29 PM   #12  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Keep the appointment! For one thing, it's really hard to figure out proper form just by reading about the exercises. It's so much easier if you have someone demonstrating it and then telling you if you are doing it correctly. You are likely to progress much faster with a trainer. I see so many people at my gym using printed workouts--they often have terrible form and also don't push themselves enough so they don't progress. They would be so much better off with a trainer.

My trainer (who is really cut) could care less how hot his clients are. What he cares about is how hard his clients' work--do they show up for sessions on time, do they do what he tells them to do, are they trying, and do they eat right, or do they give him a hard time and whine about everything he asks them to do? And I've seen this with the other trainers at my gym as well. The clients they like the best aren't their hottest clients but the ones that work hard and do what they tell them to do instead of whining that everything is too hard. In my trainer's case, I think he also likes a challenge and is really into the helping someone change their body shape. It's very rewarding for him to see his clients improve. He gets very excited about it.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 04:31 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerSoup View Post
I definitely should have joined a gym instead of buying my treadmill/free weights, they totally didn't come with hot trainers...
Amen!!!

And LittleMoonRabbit, if you don't make an appt with Justin, *I* will, if he's as hot as you say he is.

:P
cephalopod gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:57 PM   #14  

Keep the appointment!! Having him help you with those weights will be so benifical for you. It is his job to help you! Go for it!!
caitbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 04:08 PM   #15  
Ilene the Bean

Definitely go for it, have fun, enjoy the eye candy ... You lucky girl you!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote