Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-29-2008, 01:20 PM   #1  
No Excuses

S/C/G: 169.8/159/135

Height: 5'4

Question Curves: Your experiences

I started to go Curves for working out, my other option would have been to go to the gym at my college. I felt uncomfortable doing that because everyone is in good shape that you see there, so I opted for Curves 5 times a week.

I was just wondering what your guys experiences with Curves were like, and if it was enough exercise for you. Because I like going there and I push myself hard but the workout is not what I'm used to so I'm wondering if I should supplement with strength training etc.
luposlipaphobia87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:24 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 212.6/149.6/150

Height: 5'3"

I went for 1 1/2 year a few years ago. At the time I didn't change my eating and I didn't really have much luck with it. I went 3 times a week faithfully, but just didn't see any results. At the one I went to, the workers didn't really interact with the clients, and as a result clients would end up doing certain machines differently-I was never quite sure if I was doing it wrong or the other person was! Anyway, I finally just got frustrated and quit. That was just my experience.......
PJS145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:52 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 222/209.8/130

I actually liked it. I went for a short time myself. I didn't really lose weight because my eating was out of control at that time but I did see a bit of a difference in me being a little more toned. I feel that if I had eaten a proper diet and gone more faithfully three times a week like you're supposed to then I would have had better results. But I also did feel that I really didn't get a work out as well so that was a concern for me as well.
blondebritbrat17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:53 PM   #4  
Go Blue Team!!

S/C/G: 286/159/150

Height: 5'6"

I went for about two years when I first started losing weight. I was at almost 300 lbs, and Curves was a good starter place for me. When I got to around 225 lbs., I started supplementing the Curves workout with a 2 mile walk. Once I hit around 200 lbs, though, I finally realized that Curves wasn't going to cut it. I got a membership in a full-service gym and really upped my cardio/weight regimen. I loved going to Curves, but my body had just gotten immune to it!
scgirl32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 08:13 AM   #5  
I feel blah..

S/C/G: 217.5/193.0/140

I was not pleased with my Curves experience. I signed up at the only one near my home and a month later they shut down and I didn't get a refund of my sign up money. I think that was like a 100$ bucks.

Secondly, the place was so depressing. All these women dragged their feet from machine to machine with their heads down. If you are a younger upbeat person, you might NOT enjoy curves. I've found it's based more around older women, say 50+. It was just not a positive place for me.
Sneeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 08:22 AM   #6  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

My mom (who is 55) LOVES going to Curves. She doesn't feel judged by the other women, and she found one (after starting at another one that wasn't so great) where the ladies who work there are very interactive and help the clients have proper form and stay motivated. They are always doing little monthly challenges and if she sees the other ladies she works out with at the store or soccer field or anything, they chat it up like they're best friends. I think the key is to find one that works for you. It's a franchise, so find owners who are motivated and upbeat. They should let you try it out for a week or so without paying so you can see if you like it!

Hope that helps!

Kara
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 08:47 AM   #7  
Go Blue Team!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeks View Post
If you are a younger upbeat person, you might NOT enjoy curves. I've found it's based more around older women, say 50+. It was just not a positive place for me.
I think it varies greatly by location. The Curves that I went to was near the University. While there were a good number of older women, I'd say that the overwhelming majority was under 50. When I went, usually at least half of the 10-12 people working out were probably in their 20s or early 30s. The owner was in her early 30s, and all of the employees were college students.

As Kara mentions, Curves is a franchise and it can vary *greatly* by location. While there are some "basic" machines, there are also other machines that the owner can choose to add. Some places have them, some don't. Some places will have caring and outgoing staff, others might have surly folks who'd rather you left them alone.

Curves, like anything else, is what you make of it. You can get a really good strength training in if you push yourself as hard as possible on the machines. But you can also slack off and do just enough to make it around the circuit for 30 minutes. If you need a "coach" for motivation and your Curves doesn't offer that, maybe it's not the place for you. But if you are self-motivated, you can definitely get a nice strength training session there (even if you have to supplement with extra cardio).
Old 01-30-2008, 08:57 AM   #8  
I feel blah..

S/C/G: 217.5/193.0/140

I completely agree that your experience will vary by location. Simply ask for a week trial to see if you'll like it before you sign a contract. I sure wish I did.

Just like my WW class (I actually stopped going) they couldn't keep the same teacher there twice. I got tired of seeing a different class leader every time, it wasn't very motivational. I stopped going.
Sneeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:06 PM   #9  
No Excuses

S/C/G: 169.8/159/135

I really like the Curves I go to, all the people are friendly and helpful. I've never felt judged by the women there. My only real thing is I wonder if I'm getting enough exercise by doing the work out their way.
luposlipaphobia87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:50 AM   #10  
Go Blue Team!!

If you feel that you're not getting as much of a workout as you'd like at Curves, then you'll probably want to supplement it with something else. As long as you're pressing yourself as hard as you can on the machines, Curves is a great place to get your weight training in. But, because of the hydraulics, the machines put up a level of resistance in proportion to your effort.

What you may be lacking at Curves, though, is sufficient cardio work. If you supplement 3-4 Curves workouts a week with extra cardio sessions (jogging, brisk walking, etc.), you might be able to get the workout you want.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:35 AM   #11  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgirl32 View Post
What you may be lacking at Curves, though, is sufficient cardio work. If you supplement 3-4 Curves workouts a week with extra cardio sessions (jogging, brisk walking, etc.), you might be able to get the workout you want.
This is what I wanted to say. Curves somewhat IS strength training. So you want cardio in addition.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 08:35 PM   #12  
Project Me!

S/C/G: 221.2/165.6/125

Height: 5'2"

I used to work at Curves.. I well didn't see any change while I worked there..and it seemed not many people lost weight..my take on it..but that's what I saw
starbucksfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 08:46 PM   #13  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbucksfreak View Post
I used to work at Curves.. I well didn't see any change while I worked there..and it seemed not many people lost weight..my take on it..but that's what I saw
Curves works as well as any other gym. If you went to Bally's and spent 30 minutes walking 1 mile, and continued to eat poorly, you'd see the same non-results. If you go and run 30 minutes, you're going 2 to 3 miles. And if you combine it with proper eating, you will ultimately see results.

So if you go to Curves and only participate half-heartedly, and continue eating poorly, you'll see the same non-results.

I've seen a few people it did work for. But they didn't just stop at Curves, and they modified their eating as well. For all the rest, I saw a lot of chatting going on, but not much in the way of exercising. Leaning over a piece of the equipment and pushing or pulling a few inches at a snail's pace, isn't going to burn calories. Put your all into it, and if you feel your muscles burn and ache, then you know you've worked out.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 08:00 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 224

Height: 5'2"

I joined my local Curves when they first opened, about two years ago. I quit after a few months because I was bored and wasn't seeing any results.

However - I must be honest and say that I wasn't really all that motivated, or educated, in fitness and weight loss issues back then. So part of the problem may have been with me.

I rejoined it last month and decided to stick with it, in spite of the things I dislike about it (and there are a few) because:

1. It's convenient - literally right next door to my office, so I can easily pop in on my lunch hour 3 days a week.

2. It's not too crowded - as long as I don't go during the peak lunch hour, which isn't a problem for me.

3. The instructors don't hassle me too much - after my first workout I politely told them I would prefer to work out without having them talk with me from the center of the floor, and they respected my request.

The main problem I've had at this location has been with a couple of instructors who have made what I consider unnecessarily personal comments to me about my weight and appearance. But once again, I politely but firmly confronted them and explained to them why their comments bothered me, and to their credit, they both apologized and have been very sweet since then.

But even if they hadn't, I would still go because I am motivated to exercise, and Curves is just the easiest place for me to do so right now. If something better comes along, I'll join that. :-)

Last edited by stoogeswoman; 05-05-2008 at 08:01 PM.
stoogeswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:42 PM   #15  

Height: 5'8"

I have been a member of Curves for 7 months. Initially, I had a lot of success with only doing Curves 3x a week and eating fewer calories, but after about 2 or 3 months I lost interest in doing the circuit. I felt as though my body wasn't really get maximum results from the workout, so I started adding extra cardio and trying other types of exercise that were more challenging. I found myself skipping my Curves workout a lot. I actually took about a month and a half break from Curves and now only go about once a week. Truthfully, I only do that because I'm in a year contract with them and want to get some use out of it! Curves is a good choice for a lot of people and it was definitely a good place for me to start; however, I think if you really dedicate yourself to fitness, you may find you will outgrow Curves within a few months.
kris10dawn is offline   Reply With Quote