Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-06-2008, 12:40 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I've been twice as a guest of other members to check it out. Neither time was I impressed. It seemed that the women were being encouraged to move through the circuit, with no emphasis on tailoring any of the exercises to their needs or goals. It was just come in, walk the circuit, leave.

And I heard some of the trainers or staff or whoever saying some things that were patently untrue about strength, cardio, and diet.

It was quite a turnoff for me.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 01:41 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 224

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
And I heard some of the trainers or staff or whoever saying some things that were patently untrue about strength, cardio, and diet.

It was quite a turnoff for me.
Yes, I can see why! and I've had similar experiences. For example, the woman who measured me when I joined measured me again 3 weeks later, and insisted I'd put on 6 inches in my bust since 3 weeks ago () and then offered to give me some "tips" on taking off weight even faster (because I'd "only" lost 3 pounds during that time)!

That's why I think it's better if you pair it with another weight loss program - your own, or Weight Watchers, or whatever. Get the nutritional & fitness education on your own, and use the Curves for what it is - one possible exercise option.

Last edited by stoogeswoman; 05-06-2008 at 01:46 PM.
stoogeswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:48 PM   #18  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

I have been trying a two week free trial at the curves near me. I like the machines but there are a few problems.

1. I went to my doctors office the morning before I went to the curves. For free my doctor weighed me and took my measurements. The curves scale said the exact same weight but the lady that took my measurements took them over my clothes and they were no where accurate.

2. They have no warm up to the training at all. The doc said I was to have at least 5 min warm up. They were not happy that I wanted to stand and walk in place and move around for 5 min before I started the machines.

3. I have just gotten over bronchitis. The doc told me if I become breathy I am to just march in place and move around a bit until I get my breath back and my heart rate down a bit before I go to the next machine. My heart rate can go up because of the coughing and being breathy. They didn't want me to do this. They wanted to go to to the next machine and just do it easier. How does this help me, I am not getting the full potential of the machines if I don't use them correctly and I can't get over being breathy if I don't relax for a few min.

4. They did help me on my form, informed me if I was doing something wrong ( for the first three sessions they are right there with me on each machine ) but I didn't like how they would yell out to someone on the floor if they were using a machine wrong. I wouldn't have liked being pointed out like that and you could see how embarrassed some of the woman were.

5. There hours aren't very good. 6:30 am till noon is ok for those that need that time period ( for me it is great ) but my daughter is getting ready for school and in school during that time. 2:30 pm to 6:30 pm, are nice hours but what if kids work after school. They have no hours after 6:30. Doesn't seem these hours really help anyone that has a full time job and children to get off to school and to feed after they get off work. All three of the curves around here have the same hours.

6. The lady that works there is probably 60 and doesn't seem as nice as you would think she should be if she wants to work with the public. She kind of snaps at my daughter if she isn't doing a machine right and talks down to her like she is stupid. I did say something about this, very nicely, the couple of times we were there because it really bothered my daughter but it made little difference in my daughters treatment. My daughter is almost 18, not a child to be talk down to. I noticed she talks like this to everyone not just the younger people.

My daughter did have a question that I wasn't really sure how to answer. She asked me about the woman that works here. The lady is very out of shape and over weight. If the machines don't work for her? How are they going to work for us? I wasn't sure how to answer this. I would think they would want someone working there that has either gotten in shape with the help of curves or is in the process of using the curves to get into shape. The lady went on and on about how she was hired to work there because she had been going there a very long time and the owner said it was easy to train her because she knew the machines so well. She doesn't use the machines anymore because she works there and doesn't have time is what she told us.

There are some nice things about the place. From what I was told they have all the machines available, I know they have quite a few and they have a nice stretch machine and just got the smart curves on the machines. Everyone is very upbeat. There are all ages there. There are only two people working there. The owner and one other person. The owner is very friendly and does take the time to answer questions if you have any. The place does have all kinds of different things going on to help you stay motivated. You can earn curve dollars, not sure what they are for. Example, if you walk in on saturdays wearing slippers this month you get 20 curve dollars lol.

I am going to try it for the two weeks and see how things go. I am adding it to the walking/aerobic videos I do and the resistance training videos I do at home. I thought it might be a nice variety to my workouts.

Last edited by Shy Moment; 09-11-2008 at 06:52 PM.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:03 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Quote:
She doesn't use the machines anymore because she works there and doesn't have time is what she told us.
That made me laugh out loud and scared the cat.

Reason #174 why I won't go back to Curves ever.
(no offense to anyone who goes and likes it - just that every one I've ever been to has been staffed by people who are beyond ignorant about working out, diet, and exercise)

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:17 PM   #20  
Rennie

Photo
I kind of raised my eye brows at that one lol.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:29 AM   #21  
committed

S/C/G: 299/147/120

Height: 5'2"

How much does it cost per month to go to Curves?
piper10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 07:09 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

I joined Curves 3 years ago, and I really like it. The monthly fee was $29 then, but now I believe it went up to $35 for new members. My Curves keeps up-to-date with all the newest machines, and the girls who work there are upbeat and helpful. They will point out if anyone is using a machine wrong, but they do it discretely. How much or how little you want to get out of your workout is entirely up to you. I like to do the advanced version, and I do the minute machines when it's not too busy. Our hours are from 7-1 and 3-9, and we're also open on Saturdays from 7-12. I've looked around at other gyms in my area, but I really like the atmosphere and camaraderie of my Curves.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:30 AM   #23  
Rennie

piper
The want 100 dollars to join ( regular 200 dollars ) and 34 dollars a month. My in laws said they would pay for this if I thought it was something that would do me good. I am trying it for a couple of weeks to see if I think it is worth them spending the money. This is my birthday and christmas present for the next 10 years lol.

Last edited by Shy Moment; 09-12-2008 at 11:30 AM.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:33 AM   #24  

Height: 5'9"

Honestly, my Aunt has been doing curves for like 8 months, and I have not noticed one bit of change in her. Mind you, I have no idea what her eating habits are like.
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:35 AM   #25  
Rennie

luv
From the few times I have been there I can feel toning will be going on. I haven't seen any change in my weight loss ( don't look at my ticker now lol I just put a ton of weight back on because of being on Prednisone for a few months ). I was losing one pound a week when I didn't exercise and I was losing one pound a week when I did exercise. For some of us I think exercise helps us tone the body we have to get the weight loss out of our healthy eating. That is why I want to go for a couple of weeks and see if the money is going to be well spent.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:12 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 250/187/150

I was a member before. I think you're better off spending your money at a gym (there are many women's only gyms sprouting up now) and some personal training, even if it's just a couple of sessions, to give you some knowledge and direction. The Curves employees were really nice and there's a lot of contests and such, but I found it was more of a social thing than a true workout for most of the ladies that went there. A lot of the women were in jeans and full make-up and didn't bother breaking a sweat. You need the education about heart rate and fat burning and muscle building etc. before you can make Curves work for you.
carrie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 04:49 PM   #27  
Rennie

carrie
I have been going a few times and I am not sure it is worth the money. I like the machines and having something different to do for exercise ( there are no other gyms around here I live in God's country lol ). You are right, it is a social thing there. People hop machine to machine and chat. There are times when I am breathy that I need to stay in between machines and get my breath back ( this happens a lot in the winter time ) and I don't want to have to use more inhalers than I already am. I can take care of it just by slowing down for a few. They want me to not use the machines as hard and just take it easier. I don't think I am getting as good a workout if I don't use the machines like you are suppose to.