Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 12:43 PM   #1  

Default help with Ham slices ??

Hey guys!!

I am struggling with meat purchases and knowing what is good or not. I know that canadian bacon is core (but it can be SO EXPENSIVE!) - I found some breakfast ham slices - but they are cured with sugar. I am assuming that this would make them not core. However I also seem to think that trace amounts of sugar aren't supposed to be an issue. Example: Fat free mayo or miracle whip.

So is it a total no-no? Is it allowed? it's 95% fat free! I wanted to have some for b-fast. then for lunch - but avoided it both times until I find out if it's ok. I would guess if I were really worried I could rinse the slices really well and it should remove any trace amounts of sugar before cooking (since it's not a processed meat as such).

Any thoughts?!

Thank you!

Tina
Old 11-05-2006, 12:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

It's a Core food. Enjoy.

Rhonda
Old 11-05-2006, 01:32 PM   #3  
Southside White Sox Fan

Tina, it's Core as long as it a real ham slice and not processed.
Old 11-05-2006, 03:46 PM   #4  

Thank you both very much!!

I have a question about ground beef. I know that we are supposed to use at least 93% lean beef - all of our stores carry 92% (doesnt that FIGURE!) - occassionally I'll get lucky and see 95% lean - but mostly 92 is what is available.

That said - do you think I should stress horribly over that 1%? I am wondering if I should play it by ear and if I don't lose point at that? When I use it for taco meat - and strain the meat for instance - I know a good portion of the fat is removed that way. I don't burgers a LOT - but when we do they are mostly grilled (not pan cooked)

It's going to be so much more doable using the 92% Lean beef - anyone else have this dilemma?

Thank you!!

Tina
Old 11-05-2006, 03:52 PM   #5  
Southside White Sox Fan

Tina, I can find 93 and 95%. Since you can't find anything better than 92% FF, I wouldn't fret. Just strain.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:26 PM   #6  
banned

a note on the ham---it cvant hurt to rinse it, i buy ham steaks and i always rinse first
Old 11-09-2006, 09:52 PM   #7  

thanks guys! I did find 95% fat free at the store today - I am going to use it for some burgers - maybe tomorrow.

Closed Thread