Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 12:16 PM   #196  

Hi girls another beautiful day, the sun is shinning and the birds singing this earth is waking up. (So are the bugs, and that I don't care for.)

Where you surprised Sandra that I have posted?? I have lurked too long, felt like I was listening in to a party line. Did you have luck with the Roses in Texas? It would be much warmer in the summer I would guess.

Oh what a stinky drive you must have had Niki, I could just picture the whole thing. Our daughter used to throw up on the way to the Airport. We would be on the 401 and she would say, "I feel sick" My poor husband would try and pull off but it was not easy. We made many trips to the Airport as we travelled with the children a lot. (We had passes) Lots of fun, but I would love those days back again, when the children were young. I am one of these Mothers that really felt sad when the kids left home, even though I knew that was what was normal.

Yes, Froufie you can sure write, you have a gift to express yourself. I have a sister who lives in States and she wrote for a New York Newspaper for a long time. She had a wonderful command of the English language. Hope you are fine at work today.

I read about you gals going off to work and think I was so lucky, I was able to stay home with the kids. I was lucky also as my friends were all staying home also. I did teach night school (crafts) and also taught Nursery School for about 5 years after the children were grown up.

My husband retired in his middle 50's and we have not looked back yet. It has been wonderful as we built a cottage on a lake in Northern Ont.

I am having a terrible time trying to lose this weight. I do not go to w.w. as we are away lots and I would miss. I do know the plans back wards and front wards so that is not my problem. I take meds for hbp. and it seems to ****** the weight loss. I will not give up though.
Life is sweet,
Rose
Old 05-15-2006, 12:28 PM   #197  

Oh Rose, you are so lucky the sun is shining, we have had nothing but pouring rain & thunder here in NY all morning, I am jealous!
Old 05-15-2006, 12:41 PM   #198  

Oh, oh I think I spoke too soon Niki, it is going to rain later today so the news tells me.
Rose
Old 05-15-2006, 12:47 PM   #199  

Ok, I added my exercise ticker, Now all I got to do is make my train move(Haha)

I will start today
Old 05-15-2006, 12:56 PM   #200  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Well it's not exactly sunny here - gray and overcast but at least it's NOT RAINING! (altho the clouds do look a bit cranky right now!).

Yes I am at work altho I'd much rather be home in bed!

Did I mention how I don't like doing hr stuff? Do I look like an hr person? NO I DON'T - so as acting manager you can only imagine how upset I am when I get like 3 emails today about some job stuff and writing some merit thing and changing some criteria for something or other - oh and please follow these guidelines (like a 12 page book or something!). I just want to pull my hair out!

So I print these all out and the printer fairy must have absconded with them cuz they are nowhere to be found - good I get to waste more paper! (note: yes big hint of sarcasm throughout).

...I could of course leave this aside for a while but frankly the other stuff I have to do is just as icky so it's the lesser of several evils I guess?

Melissa - have fun at the conference! Hope the house is shaping up nicely!

Kathy - are you at work today? Please let us know how you make out!

Rose - Have not listened to the cd yet but will pay close attention for the 'word' (and make sure no little ones in the car w/me ha ha ha).

Niki - poor you - I too was always carsick as a child - but you deserve a medal for going above and beyond the call of duty - next time have them come to you!

Vickie - hope you had a good meeting! Sorry you lost your post - that always make me very very cranky!

Sandra - glad you are able to start your planting and having your own personal 'weed whacker' must be so helpful

It was little ds I went to the tea with (the only child who still enjoys his mother! ha ha ha). So far says he wants to go next year (so he can see himself on the slide show from this year's pics - ha ha ha).

I want to talk to dd about her makeup but not sure what good it will do - i think it's just a 'test'. She knows how I 'feel' about her makeup (esp when she goes out with me) so I find it hard to believe that she has SUCH poor judgement as to completely go overboard for mother's day dinner out! Was she just waiting for me to tell her she couldn't go with us???

Later last night she does come to 'schmooze' me up and try to talk me into preparing 'snacks' for her as she has a field trip today - cuz 'that's what mothers do!" - Told her she was perfectly capable of putting some fruit and cereal bars and other stuff in a bag for herself! Really now!

Big ds off to New York City with friends - I am a bit anxious of course - told him to make sure AND CALL ME - of course he says it will be collect! ha ha ha

Additional crisis - just got a call from team member - she is away in California due to her dad's surgery (fairly serious) - has been gone for 2 weeks supposed to be back today - turns out her dad has taken a turn for the worse and is going back into surgery - she was so upset and now I am almost crying. Now need to find a replacement for a course she is going on as we will need to pay anyways (too late to cancel!).

Off I go!
Old 05-15-2006, 01:06 PM   #201  

Height: 5'7"

Hey, chickies! I'm just stopping by quickly to say I'm alive and well at work. I got here around 10:30 or so, and will stay until 3. That should be enough for the first day.

I'll be back tonight to read more though. Meanwhile, have a great day!
Old 05-15-2006, 03:09 PM   #202  
Southside White Sox Fan

Hey Chicks! I'm home and disgusted and embarrassed and sad, with no one to blame but myself. I gained 1.2. Today starts the first day of my new Core program. I haven't really committed myself fully to the who shebang for a long time now. For a while I couldn't help it but I can now. So I need to take advantage of it while I can.

I exercised 3 times this week and still gained. Harumpf. My portions have not grown but I've gotten very casual about my WPA tracking and that CANNOT continue or I'll gain all of my weight back. I will NOT let that happen. Today's meeting was actually about Core and my Leader is starting it this week. It should be fun.

I went to Trader Joe's and got my Dr. Praegger's california burgers for lunches. I also bought a multi-grain cereal which I'm eating now because I was starving! I really missed breakfast and a smoothie just was not going to cut it. I also bought a Kashi 7 grain puff cereal because I cannot find the WW vanilla puffs anywhere. I'm going to go to the WW website to see if I can do s store locator for the cereal.

Ok....I'm off to read posts and probably try to recreate the one I wrote this morning.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:35 PM   #203  
Southside White Sox Fan

Rose, your cottage sounds delightful, especially with all the good company you have there with you. I've tried so hard lately to separate social from the food but it is darn near impossible. Especially in my family where to have good food to eat was one of the ways my parents showed us their love.

Kathy, I could just cry to read that none of your kids made a big deal out of Mother's Day. With everything you do for them, shame on them. Maybe your should frame your blog entry from Mother's Day and give it to them. I wondered if you went back to work today. Try not to do too much. I'm glad you'll be leaving for home soon.

Frouf, it sounds like you and little DS had a great time at the luncheon. I'm really glad that you took him and that he had so much fun that he wants to go back next year. I would have done the same thing with Emily and the makeup. I'm sure she's just testing you to see how much she can get away with. That is the primary job of a teenager! I read what you say about work and it all comes back to me as if it were yesterday. They used to tell us that the job of an upper Manager was more HR than anything else. It didn't really bother me though because as a professional I was an HR person (Staffing, Recruitment, Postion Managemen/Classification, Labor and Employment Relations, and EEO) before I became a Manager. That's all I did for 30 years. Now that I'm gone, I really don't miss it at all.

Sandra, you are always so busy. I feel lazy compared to you. I hope you enjoyed your gardening yesterday. You all could come here an fix my yard any time you want. Maybe I'll be more into it when I take off about 75 more pounds.

Melissa, we miss you tons! I hope you have a great conference but it sure won't be the same around here without you. What will the Murphster and Aaron do without you for 4 days?

Niki, I had a friend (she was my employee but became my friend) who used to live on Long Island forever. It's where she raised her kids and lived, I think, for about 40 years. She just moved back into the city, Bayside, a few years ago. She doesn't drive but often talked about how hard it was to get into the city by car. You poor thing. Mother's Day should not include vomit! I have a 5 year old Great Niece who can make herself vomit at will. Not a pretty picture! She realized she could get attention. Now that we've stopped, so has she. I'm SO proud of you for starting your exercise ticker. One step/pedal at a time!

Ok....I'm going to take my sad sack self and go make some phone calls. My GF who may have leukemia had a Doctor appointment today so I need to check on her. I'm also trying to reschedule Jim's shoulder surgery and a few other tasks. The White Sox are playing now so you all know where my Honey Lamb is right now.

I'll be back.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:37 PM   #204  
Card Carrying Princess

No we are not 'disgusted' with ourselves - if someone else has gained 1.2 lbs you would never tell him or her that you were disgusted with them would you? Of course not - you are your own best friend so 'speak' to yourself and encourage yourself.

I am glad you are reacting in a positive way by ensuring you have what you need in the way of Core foods - good for you! Keep up the exercise as well - you will definitely do better next week - I can hear it in your 'voice'.

Kathy - hope you are not overdoing it and that people are waiting on you hand and foot!

I need to go to the bank on the way home - seems my card is again 'compromised' and need new atm card and pin number ! YIPPEE I am also trying to avert some crises here and so my hand has been dipping into the jelly bean dish. Good news is I am looking forward to a lovely steak dinner and little ds and I supposed to go to a bonfire party tonight - will see how we are doing!

Oh yes - please go visit my poll - I am quite upset about this and very sad about how I look and the effect this has on my social life!
Old 05-15-2006, 03:44 PM   #205  
Card Carrying Princess

Oh Vickie - just read your 'other' post - watch out for Great Niece - my dd was an attention getting vomit queen at AGE 1 (I should have known then what a challenge she would be - actually I think I did? ha ha ha).

We would put her to bed and she would stand up in her crib and throw up! Of course we were frantic! 'something's wrong with the baby!". Tried not feeding her too close to bedtime - changed her diet - but nothing helped. Took her to the pediatrician of course - she says there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH HER - except she is manipulating you for attention!

What a very crazy dr I have, I thought!

How could this poor sweet innocent tiny baby be THAT manipulative? Dr's advice: put her to bed as usual - wait til she throws up (we peeked thru the door - this happened moments after being put to bed - we ended up putting towels everywhere!). Then go in very matter of factly, clean her up - DON'T SPEAK TOO MUCH - MAKE NO FUSS - then put HER BACK IN HER CRIB AND LEAVE THE ROOM!

Well you should have seen the look of shock on little baby's face when no big fuss was made and she was back in the crib in minutes! Two nights later - it was over - no more making ourselves vomit for attention (as it was no longer forthcoming!)

What a very clever dr I have!, I thought!
Old 05-15-2006, 03:48 PM   #206  
Southside White Sox Fan

You are right, Frouf, as always. I should be nicer to myself. You definitely hear determination in my voice. It's the terrier in me. This is the only job I have to do and I need to succeed.

I responded to your other post. I know this is really upsetting for you and I do understand as I have been there more times than I can count.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:53 PM   #207  
Southside White Sox Fan

Frouf, I also want to say that my sense is that you are an absolutely lovely, funny woman. I would LOVE to spend time with you. I have a small group of friends who have seen me gain and lose weight so many times that it is sickening. Now these are close friends so it's different but my point is that I've talked candidly with them over the years about my weight. All of them have told me that they love me and wish that I'd lose it and keep it off for my health. But they've also said that they don't even really "notice" because they love me. I guess only you can decide if these are really good friends who are kind or whether they are just the more shallow unkind type of people.

You have so little free time that you should spend it with people who make you happy and feel good. I've given up toxic people. Do I sound like Dr. Phil?
Old 05-15-2006, 04:28 PM   #208  
focused and aiming

hi there, chickies. it's a gorgeous day. we practiced outside target archery this am. after lunch we ran errands back in town. now i'm settling in for the day. the new flowers are glorious. life is good.

melissa, i miss you already. where are you going? will you have some friends going with you?

nikki, your trip sounds awful. sorry for all the problems.

rose, about 35 years ago i grew had a backyard of rosebushes. i had about 30 in beds and climbers all along the fence. they were gorgeous. then we got a large dog. (st. bernard) i remember one morning as i was backing out of the driveway i saw him running across the yard with a whole bush in his mouth. the dog and the hot weather finally killed all my rosebushes. i have to confess this was happening also due to neglect on my part. i was teaching and going to college.
my favorite rose back then was "chicago peace". runner up was "sweet afton." i have a "chicago peace" now and it's one of my favorites. it cost me $3 at a kmart type place in oregon. i'm saying this because it's just as beautiful (and more than most) as my "high powered" bushes i got from jackson and perkins and from edmunds' roses. i could have bought 5 of them for the cost of one of the others. but i'm not complaining. i love all my roses.

my rosebushes had a longer growing season in texas but the extreme heat made life difficult for them in july/august. believe it or not, it's extremely hot here in montana then, too, and i have to keep pouring the water to them all summer.

that's prob tmi on the rosebushes. sorry. i got wound up.

nikki, choo choo!!!!! wooo wooooo!!!!! i hear your train getting ready to move.

frouf, that's too funny about little ds wanting to go next year to see himself. makes me smile. i am so sorry for your coworker and her dad. brings back memories of my mother's heart surgery a few years ago. i hope her dad improves. and dd? i had one son and no daughters so i haven't jumped the hurdles you're attempting. keep on racing, good friend. i know you will cuz a frouf never gives up.

kathy, you sound more upbeat already. that definitely makes me smile.

vickie, i am so proud of you for going to your meeting and coming home very dedicated to being healthy. sounds like you got some fabulous core goodies. vickie, losing weight will help you have more energy (but you already know that). i'm so ready to have 40 more lbs off. my cardiologist told me the worst thing about my heart condition was i was fat and out of shape. i'm working on losing at least 40 before i see him again in january. "i'll show him!" (is that the competitor in me?)

> No we are not 'disgusted' with ourselves - if someone else has gained 1.2 lbs you would never tell him or her that you were disgusted with them would you? Of course not - you are your own best friend so 'speak' to yourself and encourage yourself.

this is exactly what our ww meeting was about 2 weeks ago. be nice to yourself. what would you say to us when we gain?

frouf, i like what vickie told you better than what i did. don't listen to me about going to the party.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:40 PM   #209  

Sandra since you know so much about roses I will ask you this question(hoping not to sound so naive) Do rose bushes thrive better in alot of sun or some shade? I have so many trees in my front yard, so it is very shady, my back yard
is alot more sunny.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:49 PM   #210  
focused and aiming

nikki, rosebushes need a lot of sun but can handle some shade. they need soil that drains well. most of mine get mainly sun. the ones in the front get a little afternoon shade and the ones in the back get some morning shade. some of my rosebushes are in full sun. does this help? your best bet would be to talk to a local nurseryman and explain your soil, shade, etc.. to see what he thinks. thank you for asking. i love to talk about roses about as much as i love to talk about weight watchers. i'm addicted to both.
Closed Thread