3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Simply Filling/Core (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/simply-filling-core-158/)
-   -   Losing More on Core Board 34! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/simply-filling-core/69304-losing-more-core-board-34-a.html)

septembersgoal 12-09-2005 02:58 PM

I'm here! But very, very busy today. I'm leaving work in about an hour and then I'll probably stop at Wal-Mart for some good buys I've heard about. Then we are going to a Christmas party tonight. Keep good thoughts :goodvibes: coming my way for self-control. I'm thinking about stopping for some wendy's chili on the way so that I won't be starving. These are good friends that we don't see often and IL's will be there as well so maybe visiting will take precedent over food, although I will have to at least taste things, since it is a food party of sorts.
OK, gotta finish my work. I hope I'll talk to you all later, if not, then in the morning!

kimberlydrn 12-09-2005 03:03 PM

I bet the snow would get old after a couple of days. It's a similar situation here in Arkansas as what Kathy explained. We get mostly ice.....not much snow.....and the city mainly focuses on sanding overpasses.

kimberlydrn 12-09-2005 03:07 PM

Melissa-Christmas parties are so hard. Our Sunday school party is tomorrow night and we're supposed to bring finger foods. I'm sure there will be lots of cookies and brownies, etc. I'm bringing a veggie tray. I might be the only one that eats on it, but at least I'll have something healthy to eat. I'm definitely eating some protein and probably some oatmeal before I go so I won't be hungry. I'll say a prayer for you for self control.

Katpo 12-09-2005 06:44 PM

Hey you guys! We are too boring ... something's gotta give!!

Do you have a Walgreens near you? There is just the cutest thing in the sales paper this week and I nearly missed it. I saw it today and ran right there after work; got the last one at the second store I went to. It's a plate rack with three plates that look like Santa. The top plate is the head, middle is tummy, and bottom is rear end. So cute! Let me see if I can show you...

Well, nuts. I can't find it. I'll keep looking!

Katpo 12-09-2005 06:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally! Okay, look at this:

Vickie 12-09-2005 07:05 PM

Cute plate rack, Kathy!

Melissa, good luck GF! I'm going to a demonstration tonight. Actually, we were supposed to be gone already but my ride isn't here. I ate past satisfied at dinner with Jim so that I'd not be tempted there. When I come home we'll have popcorn.

Kim, I can't even imagine no snow or less than 4 seasons. I've lived my whole life in Chicago and wouldn't know how to act any other way.

Hey, you guys are so quiet. I thought I'd just have time to read before I left but there was hardly nothing to read. I think it's because it's the holidays. I think I'm going to start wrapping tomorrow and stay in and be nice and warm. It is REALLY cold out there.

kimberlydrn 12-09-2005 07:08 PM

Kathy-That is so cute!

Vicki-Well, we get a little bit of all 4 seasons here. We just don't seem to get much snow unfortunately.

I'm off to work my 12 hour shift. Wish me luck!

Vickie 12-09-2005 07:09 PM

Be strong, Kim. Think of all the great progress you've made already. If you can keep on program you'll certainly have a big loss this week with all the exercise that you've done.

Katpo 12-09-2005 07:14 PM

Hey, you guys! What kind of friends are you, anyway? You're supposed to say ...

NICE RACK, KATHY!

I agree it's too quiet. I think we're all stuck in our little bad eating worlds and don't want the others to know. I'm home alone right now and you'd think I'd make the most of it and finish the decorating but am I? Nope. I'm playing games on Gamesville while sitting in the recliner and watching "Raymond." Judd is at the gym, both girls are at work and I have no earthly idea what Shaun's up to, except I hope he has a new job.

Okay, back to my game.

Vickie 12-09-2005 07:18 PM

I'm not eating badly, just not exercising. Oh except for the pizza last night. :o My urine culture came back with no bacteria. They told me to just stay on the Enablex. When I forced the issue they said the kidney stone could be causing some irritation but they don't want me to be on antibiotics until after the lithotripsy. So.....I guess I have to be uncomfortable until after the holidays when I get the lithotripsy done. With the size of my stone they are pretty confident that they can do a successful one.

Hey Kath, how's that quilt coming? :D

Vickie 12-09-2005 07:18 PM

P.S. Nice rack, Kathy!

Katpo 12-09-2005 07:21 PM

Why, thanks!! :D

The quilt. Um ... yeah. Quilt. :rolleyes: Okay, here's the deal. Um ... yeah. Wellllll ...

Oh! There's the phone! :callme:

Vickie 12-09-2005 07:30 PM

Funny! My ride's here. I'll talk to you all in the morning!

Katpo 12-09-2005 07:36 PM

Enjoy! I've never heard of the Crayola show thing, but I'm not surprised. Seems like there would be a big market for such thing!

I am really going to finish the decorating tomorrow, and might even make a whole album on my picturetrail so I can show it. We have done a lot more this year than other years, and I guess that's because we're having Christmas here this year for my side.

Froufy 12-09-2005 09:18 PM

Finally home after being the "roadie" and driving ds and equipment all over town! Lots of traffic...picked up some swiss chalet chicken on the way home - ate too much - and even the pack of Lindor chocolates that came w/the meal!!! Bad Froufie

Fabulous rack Kathy - we are all so jealous!

Melissa - good luck tonight - and same to you for tomorrow night Kim - one good strategy is to just chew gum - something minty - keep chewing and mouth busy so no eating any bad is allowed!

Got a message from dr's office re bloodwork - all okay except still low on B12 - so supposed to take a supplement daily - not a big deal I guess! I am thrilled to presume nothing else was out of range of normal!

Now dh was at dr's as well regarding his cholesterol and eating and exercising and she had recommended that he go to this nutritionist - he has major trouble determining what to eat and not used to list of things he should choose from. So it turns out that tomorrow there is a 3 hour workshop at the Heart Institute w/this lady and it's $25 per family and not per person - so dh wants me to go along - kinda take notes w/him to make sure he gets it.

Of course I think I know everything there is to know about this topic - but figured a) I might learn something b) it's a good idea to support dh in this and c) it just might add another spark of motivation to my continuing struggle! We are confirming babysitting arrangements for ds and shall be off bright and early tomorrow morning! (I would of course much prefer to sleep in and laze around in my warm bed all morning...sigh)

Frouf

p.a. 12-09-2005 10:52 PM

*Beautiful Rack Kathy*

Its snowing here too Froufy and has been all day...not cold though, its very pretty. I think Id rather teh snow then the ice you guys get. That stuff is dangerous.
Vickie Im glad they told you it will be a successful precedure but I still think will everything they are able to do nowadays there is something they can give you to make youcomfortable.
Good luck tonight Kim,,,you can do it..
Id like to hear more about the Crayola party Vickie,,sounds like fun. And Your right Kathy nothing like a new box of crayons.

My youngest will be home on wednesday and I cant wait...havnt seen her since august...its going to be along week till i see her. But I have lots to do.
I should go do something here...have a great night everyone!
ttyl

Italy 12-10-2005 04:53 AM

HI :)

I`m new here.... I want to try the core plan...,but probably,I think that I don`t understand something...
Maybe who ,can explain the core plan...?I just have the core plan food list,and noe that there are the 35 points per week...:^:

Itryharder 12-10-2005 08:59 AM

Okay,
I came in at the end of the conversation and saw, "Nice rack, Kathy." Hmmm so I had to trace back and find out what you were really talking about. Very funny, and yes, it is a nice rack.
Have a great happy day and send :goodvibes: that I get some more stuff done today because I'm really running behind this year.
Judy Itry
234.6/202/thinner into onederland :cool:

Vickie 12-10-2005 09:16 AM

Good Morning Chicks! I just got up and am having my first cup of decaf coffee. I know there's no caffeine but it does help wake me up anyway. And, I LOVE the taste and smell!

Frouf, you should be very pleased that your Doctor visit resulted in only a B-12 supplement. Why do I think I read that B-12 can have something to do with metabolism? Maybe I'm just remembering wrong. I think it's a great idea for you to go to the Nutritionist with your DH. It will reinforce good eating habits with you but, more importantly, might forge a bond between you and DH in the healthy eating department. I can tell you that it's a whole lot easier to eat healthy when you only have to cook one healthy meal. It would be a nice show of affection for you to go with and help him.

Patti, they've decided that it's cystitis and the medicine they've given me they claim takes 3-4 weeks to start working. I just took day 16 this morning so I've got a couple of days left before I can say that the medicine isn't working. Most times it isn't as severe as it was in the beginning. How exciting for your to see your baby! I am such a sap. I teared up at the "sound" of the happiness and excitement in your voice. Every year, I cry at the Folgers commericial where the son comes home and surprises his parents at Christmas. Yep, every year, I cry at a commericial. Gives you an idea of what kinda girl I am!

Today, though, I hurt. Supposedly cystitis can be affected by what you eat. Sour cream and eggs are to be eaten rarely. I ate a FF feta cheese eggbeater omelet yesterday. I'll have to watch to see if that is what caused the discomfort. I was going to eat another one today but I think I'll pass.

Kath, I'd love to see pictures of your home. I haven't finished decorating yet because I need to clean first. I've planned everything out on my calendar. Starting today, I'll wrap. I probably won't finish until tomorrow and then I still have packages straggling in.

So the crayola party was a bust for me. I guess if you have kids it would be ok. No crayons.....just kits to make projects...none of which appealed to me. Actually, they had a cute set of three sliver metal buckets that you'd apply fake snow and then frosty paint to and then add snowmen features and nose and some shimmery pompoms to the outside rim. Then I guess you'd decorate with candy or pinecones or ornaments. I decided that I didn't need anymore stuff and probably wouldn't do the project even if I bought it. So I didn't buy anything. She had some veggies which I ate plain and then came home and had popcorn at 10:00 last night. Not a great plan but better than eating bad junk at the party. At least I got to spend time with my Sister and my Niece.

What does everyone else have planned for this weekend?

Vickie 12-10-2005 09:20 AM

Italy, I'll go look for an old post to see if there is a good explanation for you of Core. Have you joined WW? It would help if you had the program material because you are definitely going to need the food list. I'll go look now.

Katpo 12-10-2005 09:24 AM

Hey folks! Well, I'm at work and will be here until around 2. Then I'm definitely going to finish the decorating, take some pictures, blah blah blah. The only other things I have planned are boring things like water the houseplants (I have like 25-30 of them so it takes a while) and clean a little. I'm supposed to be off next Friday -- probably will work anyway for 4-5 hours -- and then my parents and brother/SIL will be here on Saturday, so I have a little bit of preparation for that. Tomorrow I *might* make some sugar cookies.

The scale said 150 this morning. I am just really disappointed in myself because I know I can do better. Monday morning I guess I'll have to adjust my ticker if it's still up. :(

Vickie 12-10-2005 09:30 AM

Oh, Kathy, you're at work....bummer!

Vickie 12-10-2005 09:38 AM

Italy, as follows is the Science of the Core Plan from the Weight Watchers website. Hope this helps.

How Does the Core Plan Work? The Science Behind the Plan
By WeightWatchers.com | 2/15/2005

When you first learn about the Core Plan, you might think, "How can this actually work? It sounds too good to be true." Well, it does work – and there's sound science behind it.

About TurnAround
First, it's important to understand the big picture: TurnAround™. Weight Watchers has put its years of experience and scientific study into learning what works, and TurnAround is the result. With TurnAround, you can achieve healthy weight loss using an approach that incorporates your own needs and preferences. TurnAround offers two food plans: the Flex Plan and the Core Plan. Both the Flex Plan and the Core Plan help you make wise choices and eat nutritiously. Both plans enable you to reduce calories — the key to weight loss, and deliver healthy nutrition and livability.

How does the Core Plan work?
Weight Watchers has tested the healthy-eating strategies that support weight loss in both of our food plans. These strategies include:

Choosing foods that are low in energy density

Selecting whole-grain foods instead of those that contain mostly refined carbohydrates and are low in fiber.
The Core Plan provides you with an approach to healthy weight loss that supports the selection of low-energy-density foods as well as fiber-rich ones by using a list of foods that have been specifically researched and tested for weight-loss benefits.

What is Energy Density?
You know a cup of ice cream has more calories than a cup of broccoli. That, in a nutshell, is energy density – the number of calories in a given volume of food. Foods with a high-volume/low-calorie ratio are low-density foods. So for example, most vegetables have a low energy density; most high-fat desserts or fried foods have a high energy density.

Why is the Energy Density of a Food Significant?
Why not just count the calories? Because foods that have a low energy density will be more satisfying, and you will feel fuller after meals. And if you eat more of the foods that have a low energy density, you'll still be able to enjoy the occasional treat in moderation. Filling your daily diet with low-energy-density foods increases eating satisfaction with fewer calories because these foods are usually higher in water content, lower in fat, and in some cases, higher in fiber.

Filling Up on Fiber
Choosing whole-grain foods, such as whole-wheat pasta and oatmeal, improves eating satisfaction and often provides more nutrients. For example, a cup of whole-wheat pasta contains more fiber (which helps protect against diabetes, heart disease, and certain types of cancer) and is a better source of nutrients such as zinc and vitamin B6 than regular (white) pasta. Oatmeal contains more disease-fighting fiber and far less sugar than many low-fiber, high-sugar breakfast cereals.

Nutritious Eating with the Core Plan
The Core Plan works by focusing your food choices on a group of wholesome, nutritious foods that are lower in calories and provide eating satisfaction. Foods that are not on the Core Food List include those that provide "empty" calories as well as some that can trigger overeating. The foods that are on the Core Food List fill you up with fewer calories than other food choices. Eating from this list of foods ensures the reduction in calories that is needed for weight loss — without tracking or counting. And, if any of the foods on the list trigger overeating for you, it's a smart idea to choose these foods sparingly or not at all. On the Core Plan, you'll find that eating primarily from a list of wholesome, nutritious foods makes weight loss easy.

septembersgoal 12-10-2005 10:08 AM

Morning all. Had a good time last night, although I ate too much! But, as I always have to add, not as bad as I would have done at one point in my life. We didn't have time to stop for something to eat on the way so of course I was very hungry, which didn't help. Anyway, I'm getting ready to go do some shopping with my mom, but just wanted to say hi.

Vickie, I'm sorry that you aren't feeling well today. I would definitely stay away from the dairy if that will help!

Kathy, that is a very nice rack indeed. Sorry you are at work today. Have fun decorating! Oh, and I know that you can make your goal. You really are doing good.

Italy, :welcome2:

Frouf, hope you are enjoying yourself and learning lots of info that you can share with your chickie friends.

OK, mom should be here any minute so I better go!

Katpo 12-10-2005 10:08 AM

Italy, there might be info out on the web (perhaps a Google search or something like that), but your best bet is to see if there are WW meetings nearby you and join. If there aren't, you can always do the WW@Home or WWOnLine programs. You'll get all the info there.

There are certain legal restrictions that keep us from laying out the whole plan. Articles, like the one Vickie posted for you above, are fine because they're out there for everyone. But the finer points ... the nitty-gritty details ... are WW proprietary and are designed to be gotten from your meeting leader (or the program materials if you choose to do the @Home or OnLine versions).

If you have any general questions, feel free to ask and we'll try. Here's a link to the official 3FC statement about sharing the Core plan:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...12&postcount=1

Good luck and welcome!

kimberlydrn 12-10-2005 10:29 AM

Well, I ate like a pig at work last night. I had really good intentions when I got there. Everyone ordered Pizza Hut and there was tons left over. I ate that first, then the homeade bread and fudge showed up. I'm sure you all get the picture. I've got that Sunday school party tonight. I've decided to make Nestle Toll House Cookies. I'm just going to do the best I can, but I'm going to quit worrying about it so much. It's so hard this time of year. Here's a little humor...
Holiday Eating Tips
1. Avoid carrot sticks. Anyone who puts carrots on a holiday
buffet table knows nothing of the Christmas spirit. In fact, if you see
carrots, leave immediately. Go next door, where they're serving rum balls.

2. Drink as much eggnog as you can. And quickly. Like fine
single-malt scotch, it's rare. In fact, it's even rarer than single-malt scotch.
You can't find it any other time of year but now. So drink up! Who cares that it has 10,000 calories in every sip? It's not as if you're going to turn into an eggnog-aholic or something. It's a treat. Enjoy it. Have one for me. Have two. It's later than you think. It's Christmas!

3. If something comes with gravy, use it. That's the whole point
of gravy. Gravy does not stand alone. Pour it on. Make a volcano out of your mashed potatoes. Fill it with gravy. Eat the volcano. Repeat.

4. As for mashed potatoes, always ask if they're made with skim
milk or whole milk. If it's skim, pass. Why bother? It's like buying a
sports car with an automatic transmission.

5. Do not have a snack before going to a party in an effort to
control your eating. The whole point of going to a Christmas party is to eat other people's food for free. Lots of it. Hello?

6. Under no circumstances should you exercise between now and New
Year's. You can do that in January when you have nothing else to do.
This is the time for long naps, which you'll need after circling the
buffet table while carrying a 10-pound plate of food and that vat of
eggnog.

7. If you come across something really good at a buffet table,
like frosted Christmas cookies in the shape and size of Santa, position
yourself near them and don't budge. Have as many as you can before
becoming the center of attention. They're like a beautiful pair of
shoes. If you leave them behind, you're never going to see them again.

8. Same for pies. Apple. Pumpkin. Mincemeat. Have a slice of each.
Or, if you don't like mincemeat, have two apples and one pumpkin. Always have three. When else do you get to have more than one dessert? Labor Day?

9. Did someone mention fruitcake? Granted, it's loaded with the mandatory celebratory calories, but avoid it at all cost. I mean,
have some standards.

10. One final tip: If you don't feel terrible when you leave the
party or get up from the table, you haven't been paying attention. Reread tips; start over, but hurry, January is just around the corner.

Italy 12-10-2005 10:31 AM

Katpo,septembersgoal,Vickie,thanks for the help...I really wants to go WW meetings,but I`m from Lithuania and there aren`t WW meetings...I just hope that soon will be... :^:

Katpo 12-10-2005 11:07 AM

Yep, well I can see where that might be a problem! If you can go to the WW website and then look for Weight Watchers Online, you might be able to sign up there and can go ahead and get started without actually having to attend meetings. The cost should be about the same; you'll just have to weigh yourself.

Again, welcome! I hope you like it here! Just jump right in and make yourself at home.

Katpo 12-10-2005 11:11 AM

:lol: Melissa, that is great! I love it!

Vickie 12-10-2005 12:33 PM

Good Luck, Italy! We'll help as much as we can.

Melissa, meal to meal! That's all you can do is try to be as good as you can at each meal.

Same for you Kim. Put yesterday out of your head. I'll be making Nestle Toll House too. I'll be making a double batch since they're Jim's favorite cookie and I only make them twice a year. I'm only making a couple of my specialties that everyone begs for like Scottish Shortbread, lemon squares, and the toll house. My Niece will be making her fabulous klotchkies (sp?).

I'm supposed to be wrapping. Talk to you all later.

p.a. 12-10-2005 12:36 PM

Morning chickies,
Vickie I guess I missed the post of you explaining what you had,,sorry. I hope this medicine works and if you can tell what food causes you more pain thats good! ((hugs))
Well I started baking today and the house smells good enough to eat.haha taken a few nibbles but nothing else. Ate my oatmeal first so I wouldnt be hugnry and so far so good. Im going to stop for lunch too,,,Im trying hard to stay op.
Its still snowing here but its so pretty...looks like a christmas picture outside the window.
Kim, I dont think I would have had the willpower to resist that ....way too much temptation there. You have a great attitude though,,,,keep up the great work.
Welcome Italy,,,you found a great place to find help, these gals are great here.
,I better go before something burns..haha
will check in later
have a great day

stefkat 12-10-2005 05:27 PM

Hey all,
I am at a loss for Christmas presents for my office mates.... I was thinking of the amyrillis (sp?) in a box, to force the bulb - from WalMart? but was thinking, is this too cheap? Maybe bubble bath stuff or a pointsettia? -- They both helped me temp-to-fulltime, so I want to give something appropriate without totally blowing the bank!
Help!

Katpo 12-10-2005 05:51 PM

I like those things! There are some really cute ones too, that have glass bowls instead of the white plastic one. Or how about the cookie mix in a jar thing? Or Yankee candles?

Vickie 12-10-2005 10:24 PM

Well, I declare, I don't think I've EVER seen a slower day. I wrapped about 18 presents today and cooked dinner. My food was not very satisfying today but I stayed Core with the exception of some points that I used. I'll be taking a pain pill tonight and going to bed soon. Haven't had a very good day physically either. I'm starting to keep a food journal so that I can learn what foods are bothering me and avoid them. The Doctor says it can also be stress so I'm trying hard to get my stuff done early so I can rest easy. There is still a long way to go.

Patti, I hope you were able to avoid temptation.

Steff, I like Kathy's ideas, especially the candles. I'm a BIG candle girl and most women are. Yankee candle really has some nice scents this season. The cranberry chutney is a favorite of mine.

So what are the rest of you up to? How's the eating going?

Katpo 12-10-2005 10:33 PM

We had that turkey veggie chili (Judd made it) and it was sooo good! Other than that, I'm not too hungry today. We finished the tree and the other decorations; Erin and Shaun are upstairs watching TV, Judd is in the family room watching something and I'm in the bedroom hiding out.

Darn right this is a slow day! I hope tomorrow is better because I am b-o-r-e-d!

septembersgoal 12-10-2005 10:36 PM

Wow, what a slow evening! We just got back a few minutes ago from a Christmas project fundraiser at church. It was pretty fun. Eating was bad of course. But like I always want to point out, better than I used to eat! At least it's something.
I had really intended to get back on hard-core plan Friday but these two parties this weekend have really thrown me into a tailspin. It was two Christmases ago that I really gained a lot of weight that caused me to increase a pant size. I'm remembering that this year. Celebrations are not about the food! But for me, I think it's just that all of my favorite foods are served and linger around during the Christmas season. One good thing is that now we live here and don't have to stay at our parent's houses over Christmas celebrations, so we won't be constantly surrounded by tempting food.
Sorry I'm rambling.

Vickie, I'm sorry that you didn't have a very good day. I hope that the meds help and you get well rested tonight.

Patti, hope that your baking turned out well!

Stef, I think those are great ideas. I like the idea that Kathy mentioned as well about recipes in the jar. There are so many cookie and soup recipes where you put the dry ingredients in a jar and attach the recipe. That would be pretty cheap if you were willing to put in some work.

Well I guess that you guys can see that I changed my tracker to reflect Friday's weight. Very, very depressing, but I thought I might as well fess up. But I'm starting to wear my 14s (did last night and tonight) and that is a success in itself. It's motivating.

Alright chickies I am about pooped. I'm headed to bed before too long. Night!

Vickie 12-10-2005 10:45 PM

We're having LO ground sirloin chili with fresh corn bread tomorrow for dinner. It'll be easy for me to do after I wrap tomorrow. I'm bored too but Jim is done with his shower now so I'm off to watch TV with him.

Melissa, losing inches is almost as good as losing pounds. That's exercise for you! Wait until you start belly dancing. Those 14's will be falling off of your hips!

I'll be back bright and early to say good morning before I start to wrap.

Katpo 12-10-2005 10:50 PM

Vickie, happy wrapping! I have none to do because kids get money, MIL/FIL will be out of town, my parents will be here next Saturday and their's is done except for the quilt. All nieces and nephews got theirs at Thanksgiving ... well, they took their gifts home with them to open at Christmas. And so all I have to do is go to the ATM a few days before Christmas! Gotta love those adult children, where money is the "one size fits all" gift! :lol:

Vickie 12-10-2005 10:54 PM

I'll probably be around 45-50 presents by the time I'm done with everyone, including Jim's stocking. It makes me tired just to think about it. And...of course, I'm anal. All have to look pretty. Mutiple packages for each person have to be in matching paper. And, I try not to wrap any of Jim's in the same paper twice. Yeah, I know, I'm nuts!

Katpo 12-10-2005 11:13 PM

Yep, I'd say you're anal!! Judd and I don't get each other anything for Christmas and we have no other relatives that we buy for besides the parents (and nieces/nephews). When the kids were little, it was a different story. I'm just so glad that part's over!!

I'm making myself a list of lunches and dinners for next week so I can prepare tomorrow. I'm going to try to work 10-11 hours per day Monday thru Thursday and then a little bit on Friday. I have a few things to get finished before the Christmas break. We're closed from the 22nd thru Jan. 3 -- and I can't wait to do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for those days!