Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 12:31 PM   #1  

Default WW Core or SB

HI. Lost 25 lbs using regular points system in 2001 - PUT IT ALL BACK ON
over the years.

Giving it a last go but I don't know whether to try SB again or the Core. I tried Core for a week and my coffee alone blew my extra points (use FF creamer - not core right?).

Advice, guidance much welcomed. I have two kids so some of the SB recipies are just too crazy to make when I have scouts, religious ed, homework. I need to stick to the quick fast and inexpensive during the week.

Love to use the crock pot and any make ahead always great. I tend to eat lite during the day (busy) then pile it on at night. Always been my problem.

Many thanks....Sue
Old 10-30-2005, 04:46 PM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

Well, first of all, welcome! Of course we're going to try and sway you over to the Core side, but just listen to all of the opinions and decide for yourself.

I found myself at 175 at the end of summer, 2003. I broke my foot that summer and sat in a wheelchair, plus took many meds (mostly steroids) over the three months it took for my foot to heal. I started on Labor Day of 2003, and by Christmas I had lost down to 160. I maintained that for a year until I found this board when Core was unveiled. I was doing WW@Work but the meeting schedule didn't mesh with my work schedule, so I couldn't go to the meetings. However, some of my kind coworkers gave me the food list and so in August of 2004, I started again. I went from 160 to 148 within about 4 weeks sticking to a total Core menu. I maintained that until the spring of this year, when I stopped being so diligent and gained 5-10 pounds back.

The Core foods are just basic, whole foods that give you a lot of bang for your buck! They are filling and lower calorie at the same time. Not having to journal is the thing that most people love ... and as long as you stick to the basic list and don't go over your 35 WPAs (Weekly Points Allowance), you should be fine.

As far as the coffee, could you use skim milk and add Splenda? I don't know what kind (flavor?) of coffee creamer you're using, but if it's FF, I don't see how it could be that deadly unless you are drinking a ton of coffee during the day.

Look thru the recipe forum too, and our menu threads. You'll get a good idea of what sort of things we eat and might be able to see if you think it would be something you'd like.

And lastly, ASK! We are so full of opinions and just love to give them out!
Old 10-30-2005, 05:25 PM   #3  
Melissa

Like Kathy said, we are biased. But as far as fast meals go, I think that core would be easier (but I don't know much about SB either). Core is great because you can use easy ingredients (potatoes, rotissiere chicken from the grocery store, canned chicken and tuna, etc) for pretty quick meals. It does take a great deal of planning, but if you can get into the habit, it's not a problem. And like Kathy said, feel free to ask questions!
Old 10-30-2005, 06:34 PM   #4  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

I think Core is a good idea but you do have to plan ahead - sounds like the crockpot would be a great idea for make ahead meals - and I am a big fan of hearty soups in large quantities which you can freeze or bring for lunches as required - think beef and barley, or a minestrone or whatever leftovers you have hanging around - check the recipe thread for some good ideas!

I also agree that unless you are drinking vats of coffee your creamer can't be using up all those point? You can also use activity points if you exercise.

Good luck,

Frouf
Old 10-31-2005, 09:29 AM   #5  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Hi SUe and welcome! In 2000 I lost 26 pounds, next year I maintained, next couple of years I put back about 10-15 pounds. Now on Core I am slowly and steadily losing.
I love this site, I love the food. If I'm starving I can always eat a piece of fruit or make some popcorn in the microwave. I do eat bread, but count in the points.
As far as your decision, only you can make it. I know a little about SB and I think Core is much less restrictive. We've got great easy recipes and if you're looking for crockpot, I've got some I'll post if that will help you out. It's good to tackle your weight loss and we all applaud you for that. Hope to see you posting here.
Judy Itry
234.6/206.8/thinner into onederland
Old 10-31-2005, 11:17 AM   #6  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Hi:
I meant to reply to you in the SBD board, but I pop in here to peruse.
I've done both plans. They are quite similar Core is more like Phase 2 with some fun additions. What I tend to do is Mix it up. Some recipes I take from this board some from the other but I've been successful with both plans.
So I say tweak them both to find what will work best for you and most importantly watch your portions!
Kierie
Old 11-01-2005, 06:32 PM   #7  

I never count my FF creamer. I have been on WW Core for 8 weeks and I have lost 15lbs, so I think that drinking coffee with FF creamer is fine. Good luck!
Old 11-04-2005, 10:59 AM   #8  

Thank God because I can't live with out my coffee!!! I use FF half and half (store brand usually but I found that Shaws carries Land of Lakes in 1/2 gallon containers) and Coffee mate liquid ff. I like the powder but too much palm oil is in it.

Thanks! Sue
Closed Thread