Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 08:16 PM   #1  
Melissa

Default My Explosive Tuesday Night

This is completely off-topic, but it was just so crazy that I had to share. I had this wonderful dinner planned: pork chops, green beans, roasted potatoes with onions. I was SO looking forward to it, cutting up the potatoes when I got home from work. They cooked for around half an hour when I got them out of the oven to check on them. As I turned them, I noticed that they were sticking, so decided to put some (not very much at all) water in the 13X9 pyrex casserole dish. When I did, the dish exploded! And when I say exploded, I mean absolutely blew up, not just cracked. Its amazing that I was not cut, or even blinded. The entire thing dissolved into hundreds of pieces on top of my stove. Then poor dh burnt his fingers when he tried to pick up a 400 degree piece of blue glass. I just can't get over it. It made a sound like a bomb went off. I am going to try to post a picture below.
So anyway, I ended up blowing my day's eating by running out to get something, as it was 7pm and we were starving, and there was glass all over our dinner potatoes and green beans. And I couldn't cook anything else because it was all over the stove and too hot to clean up. So much for my meal planning today. Oh well, back on the boat tomorrow. I have definitely learned a lesson.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg potato glass.JPG (20.5 KB, 37 views)
Old 04-12-2005, 08:25 PM   #2  
Southside White Sox Fan

Melissa, my God I'm glad you're ok. You REALLY could have been hurt badly. Don't worry about your meal. You'll get back on plan. When I roast my potatoes I use a metal pan (never thought to use my pyrex). I think the pyrex was fine. I always add about a 2/3 a cup of chicken broth. I put 1/3 in from the beginning and then add the other 1/3 cup about half way through. It keeps them from sticking and burning.

Glad you guys are unhurt!

P.S. I love cobalt blue glass. I used to tell people that mine is all over my kitchen but yours really IS all over your kitchen. Wear slippers for a while until you get it all cleaned up good. Lucky you used the blue instead of the clear.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:51 PM   #3  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Melissa - you poor thing - you are SO LUCKY you were not hurt or burnt or worse! I guess the colder water hitting the hot pan caused it to burst!!! I think that happened once here to a glass platter with a hot turkey on it!..but not as bad as your "explosion".

I am so sorry your dinner was ruined - esp as you were so looking forward to it!

Frouf
Old 04-12-2005, 09:05 PM   #4  

Oh my goodness, that's crazy! I'm glad you weren't hurt! Wow, you really DID have an explosive night. I'll have to make sure not to do the same with my Pyrex...

Angela
Old 04-12-2005, 10:47 PM   #5  

Height: 5'7"

Holy cow!! That's incredible! I'm so glad nobody was hurt other than the fingers, which is bad enough!

Note to self ...
Old 04-13-2005, 11:48 AM   #6  

Wow, Melissa! It is a blessing that you weren't hurt. I thought Pyrex was supposed to be virtually indestructible so you might want to contact the company to let them know about the glass exploding like that. And your dinner looked pretty tasty too so what a pity that it was ruined! Great job on making the best of a very aggravating situation!
Old 04-13-2005, 11:54 AM   #7  

Height: 5'7"

I forgot to add -- this happened a few weeks ago to one of my coworkers. They had just put the dish on the table and BLAM -- it exploded everywhere. I was going to tell him about yours happening too, Melissa. I'd never heard of it before.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:14 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 169/167.6/135

Height: 5'3'

Melissa I never heard of that either. I thought that was the whole thing with pyrex, that it wasn't supposed to do that like glass.

Lisa
Old 04-13-2005, 06:17 PM   #9  
Melissa

Hey guys, thanks for the sympathy!
I do feel very blessed not to have been hurt by my exploding dinner. After reading your comments I am wondering if that dish was really Pyrex. I'm not completely sure that it was, now that I think about it. Of course there is no way to check now!
Anyway, I have definitely learned a lesson. I'm going to take Vickie's advice and put broth in the bottom of my pan before cooking from now on.
I'm going to go cook dinner--with no baking!
Closed Thread