Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 10:39 AM   #1  

Default Core question

I will be doing the Core program on my own. Do any or all of you still weigh and measure your food? I apologize if this question has been asked before.

Thanks,
Aleka
Old 10-15-2004, 11:00 AM   #2  

Good morning Aleka,

I believe a few people track their points in the beginning to make sure they don't overeat on Core because this is such a new way of thinking. I must admit, I was afraid I wouldn't know when to stop but I've found that Core foods are so filling that I eat much less than I would with mindless eating of junk food. I think the whole point is to realize the difference between satisfied and stuffed and know when to stop. That lesson will last a lifetime.

I've only been on Core since Monday but love it -- I'm never hungry, can easily pass on goodies, don't have sugar cravings and am really enjoying all the recipes posted here. For me, it's a good thing to get in touch with what a small amount of food is satisfying and how the right foods stay with me between meals. So much better than the grazing I used to do with junk!

Good luck and I hope this answers your question.

Last edited by ditpen; 10-15-2004 at 11:16 AM.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:05 AM   #3  

Aleka,
I do not weigh and measure my food. That is the number one thing that attracted me to core in the first place. You are allowed to eat until satisfied (which is not stuffed). I have only been doing the core since Monday, but I weighed in last night and I had lost 3 pounds! My mom has been doing Core for 5 weeks and has lost 16 pounds. She does not weigh or measure her food either. Calories do matter when trying to lose wieght, which is why they say to eat until satisfied and not stuffed, but it is not necessary to weigh and measure your food, unless you will be eating something that is not on the Core plan, such as cheese. Then you would need to weigh just the cheese so that you can calculate how many points you will be using towards your flex points. I hope this helps you!
Old 10-15-2004, 11:06 AM   #4  
Cowboy Up Chick

You don't have to weigh or measure the Core foods but I know many who do or at least eyeball what they would normally have done on points but if they are not satisified with that amount they have another serving or 1/2 serving. It helps keep them thinking about how they feel or if they are satisified. They many actually drag out their kitchen scale or measuring cups but use things like:

Serving Sizes Estimations

Your hand can be used as a guide for estimating portions.

About 1 cup or 1 medium fruit is your Fist.

About 1 oz. cheese or meat is your Thumb.

About 1 tablespoon is your Thumbtip.

About 1 teaspoon is your Fingertip.

Your Palm (minus your fingers) is about 3 ounces cooked meat, poultry or fish.

Other Serving Size Estimations

3 ounces meat, poultry or fish is about the size of...deck of cards.

1 cup mashed potatoes is about the size of...your fist.

1 cup fruit is about the size of...a baseball.

1/2 cup pasta, rice, fruit or veggies is about the size of...1/2 of a tennis ball or a standard ice-cream scoop.

1 medium potato is about the size of...a computer mouse.

1 teaspoon butter, margarine or jelly is about the size of...the tip of your thumb.

1 ounce nuts is about the size of...a handful.

2 tablespoons peanut butter is about the size of...a ping pong ball or a golf ball.

1 ounce cheese is about the size of...four dice.

1 1/2 ozs of cheese = 3 dominoes or 6 dice.

1 2-oz bagel is about the diameter of a drink coaster.

1 tortilla is about the diameter of a 7" dessert plate.

1 slice of bread is about the size of a square audio CD case.

1 2-oz muffin is about the size of a large egg.

1 pancake or waffle is about the diameter of an audio CD.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:07 AM   #5  
Cowboy Up Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cateyes
...unless you will be eating something that is not on the Core plan, such as cheese. Then you would need to weigh just the cheese so that you can calculate how many points you will be using towards your flex points. ...
Fatfree cheese is core but if (and I assume this is what you were talking about) real or 2% cheese is not so you would have to count the points for that.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:19 PM   #6  

Hi again,

Thank you all for answering my question about weighing and measuring my food. It really helped me out a lot. I am really looking forward to starting this.

Aleka
Old 10-15-2004, 03:07 PM   #7  

Yes, I was talking about the 2% or real cheese.... I have not been able to find any fat free cheese that I like. I would rather leave the cheese off, or use a small portion of the regular or 2% cheese....... My mom told me last night she found some vega cheese or something and she said she cannot tell the difference between it and normal cheese. I believe she said it was the mozzarella and parmesan. I'm not sure if she has tried the cheddar vega cheese or whatever the name of it was. She got it a local super Walmart here, so I may try to hunt it down this weekend.
Old 10-15-2004, 03:20 PM   #8  
Southside White Sox Fan

Teri, it's probably called Gallaxy and I think it is soy fat free cheese. It comes in several flavors including american, cheddar, jalepeno. It will melt and tastes ok on and in things. But don't just eat it in your fingers....it tastes blech!!!!!
Old 10-15-2004, 03:58 PM   #9  
Cowboy Up Chick

I am a cheese snob and don't put that processed cheese in my body. I also don't like the soy cheeses because it causes gastro problems (sort of like Olestra does for some) with me.
Closed Thread