Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 04:47 PM   #1  
Cowboy Up Chick

Default OT - Anyone know anyone on Vioxx? Recall!

FYI I work in the medical field and we just got this in:

Merck (drug company) has voluntarily withdrawn rofecoxib (Vioxx) from the worldwide markets based upon an increase in strokes and MIs found in a colorectal cancer prevention study.
Old 09-30-2004, 05:55 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

And I wonder how many people died before they took this off the shelf? I don't think drug companies do enough testing before they release their magic pills. Thanks for the info though, I don't know anyone taking it but I'll be on the lookout now.
Old 10-01-2004, 01:24 PM   #3  

My Doctor has been leary of Vioxx for a while for the same reasons cited in the recall notice. Actually - I have been helping him fight insurance companies (via the State Attorney General) almost endorsing the use of Vioxx by denial of coverage for alternate drugs. He and my insurance company went back and forth for quite a while over the Vioxx issue before he got fed up and gathered some of his patients to assist him in his fight against insurance companies not paying for the medication determined most appropriate by the Doctor. I hope this most recent recall helps his case. Paying full price for alternatives to Vioxx is pretty darned expensive.
Old 10-01-2004, 08:12 PM   #4  
Janette

This was all over the news yesterday.
Susie, I can't imagine an alternative to Vioxx being more expensive--it costs me $50 co-pay. That's why I stopped taking it. Too expensive and I didn't see that it worked all that well on me. Glad I didn't take it that long, however I did take the first bottle every day while I was being treated for my hip problem. The last bottle is still on the shelf-full.
Spryng, I think it is the FDA that is not protecting us. It seems they are pressured by the drug companies (according to the news reports) to rush through approval so they can make the money.
Old 10-02-2004, 10:19 AM   #5  
Cowboy Up Chick

Actually fifty I think it is more the drug companies pressure with 'short term' studies not only the FDA but patients (I see this all the time with drug study patients where I work) to push for the drugs.

Here some co-pays for Vioxx are only $3 a month like with my HMO. If a substitute is not approved by your drug company or under their formulary that is where it costs more for someone. For example Flonaise is under my HMO for $9 for 3 month supply but not under my friends and it costs her $59.87 for a 3 month supply where under hers Claritin (before it became OTC) was covered for $2 a month but under mine it was not and I had to pay $27 a month.
Old 10-02-2004, 11:26 AM   #6  
This time I'll do it!!

My mom used to take it, well up until the other night she did. She has high blood pressure & could easily get a stroke. Kelly, thanks for posting this to let us know.
Old 10-02-2004, 04:25 PM   #7  

Janette - Our insurance companies are on opposite ends of the spectrum. For me Vioxx is $20 Co-pay and Bextra runs in the $60-$70 range. Fortunately - I am healed and not needing either now!

It has been a crazy year. On this date last year I walked a full marathon, in April I had major foot surgery that had me off of my feet for six weeks. In July I had more surgery. I'm finally able to wear a few different types of shoes, re-learning my stride and getting back to my old self. Some of you may recall that some months ago I set a goal of being able to make me favorite three mile walk by Labor Day. Well - I was a few weeks late on even trying but while on vacation last week I took a six mile hike! It was so great!

My biggest goal now is related to ski season and I'm starting to feel like I'm going to both fit into my ski pants and be strong enough to keep up with the best of them!
Old 10-02-2004, 10:50 PM   #8  
Janette

Susie, you sound like a very active person. I can relate to your foot problems. I can only wears SAS shoes and flat boots with an insert. I'm glad the doctors were able to fix your problems.

I would be terrified to ski but I think I would like the social hour around the fire place!
Old 10-03-2004, 12:35 PM   #9  

Janette -
Staying active is a glorified excuse for not actually working out!
We really do enjoy the outdoors and are fortunate to live in a place that really inspires us to stay active.
Closed Thread