Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 11:36 AM   #1  

Default Yikes I seem to have gained weight?

I have these lousy scales. i weigh myself once a week, but I seem to have gained a couple of pounds since last monday. I have been doing core and kept well within limits. HMMMM. I ate a bowl of cereal pretty late last night, but other than that?????

Anyone else? Should I try weighing again tomorrow? Does this happen to you?
Old 09-13-2004, 12:01 PM   #2  
Cowboy Up Chick

If today is your scheduled weighin day use that. It could be several things that caused a slight gain...TOM? Hidden sodiums?

Have you checked your scale to see if it is accurate?

Could you have eaten to satisifaction for you but really it was 'over eating?' Just an idea. I know for me my satifaction is way more than what I should eat which is why I still count points using basically core foods.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:18 PM   #3  

Thanks for the ideas. I think eating till satisfaction is a bit hard to figure out at first. I will give this program some more time to get a better idea.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:55 PM   #4  

do you think that soy sauce can cause us to hold water?
Old 09-13-2004, 01:57 PM   #5  

Kally -

Please do give it a little more time. . . I am just starting to get the hang of the "satisfaction thing" and it is incredibly liberating.

Has this happened to anyone else? LOL. - Labor Day weekend I had a couple of Bloody Mary's - I weighed 7 pounds more the next day! 7 POUNDS! It was gone within two days. I weigh in on Mondays and by the grace of the holiday that little blip never showed up on my "records".

If I were you I would count my weigh-in today but weigh yourself in a few days to see if you are on track for a loss next week. If not - start looking for extra sodium that you can cut out and really focus on the amount you need to eat to feel satisfied.

Sort of off topic but it was difficult for me break the habit of the measuring cups and portion control when I switched to Core. Like lots of people I found false security in thinking that the right amount of food is the amount that I had enough points for. My biggest issue with Flex Plan is that it has a set amount of minimum points that in hindsight - was too much food for me.
Old 09-13-2004, 02:01 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

Soy sauce is very high in sodium and can cause water retention, so if you had that yesterday then yes you can see a gain from it. Have you been drinking plenty of water lately?
Old 09-13-2004, 02:13 PM   #7  

Soy Sauce definately causes water retention. I prefer the Lite kind which has less sodium (and a lighter flavor) but is still loaded.

Has any one else found that they are getting much less tolerant of sodium as they age? I adore salt and have switched to pure sea salt and/or good quality Kosher salt, which have less sodium than regular table salt. I still have to watch it.
Old 09-13-2004, 02:26 PM   #8  
Cowboy Up Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie
Soy Sauce definately causes water retention.
You can't say this statement will all certainty....LOL! I don't have a problem with water retention I can eat Chinese the day before I weigh in without any retention. It is an individual reaction but we can say usually OR most the time IT CAN cause retention.
Old 09-13-2004, 02:27 PM   #9  

Whatever Kelly...I think everyone knows what I meant in my post.

Last edited by susie; 09-13-2004 at 02:29 PM.
Old 09-13-2004, 02:33 PM   #10  
Cowboy Up Chick

You know susie...whatever. I was just teasing with ya sorry you took it as an attack but it is true you can't say definately because everyone is different.
Old 09-13-2004, 05:07 PM   #11  
Curves 6-week solution

S/C/G: 159/159/135

Height: 5'4"

You know if you don't retain water from eating Chinese food I think it is safe to say you are the ONLY one I know so what Susie said is perfectly legit. Everyone knew what she meant by it.
Old 09-13-2004, 05:15 PM   #12  
Cowboy Up Chick

I was just teasing and joshing with her about it but I know several (me being one) from my meetings that sodium doesn't affect. Mostly it is people who stay sufficiently hydrated all the time where it is minimized or not affected at all. I also do not bloat during TOM.

It is not as widely affected as most think. Gosh can we get of the fact I stated a fact that not everyone is affected by sodium like that but that it can happen.
Old 09-13-2004, 06:00 PM   #13  

either way, ladies, all these posts are useful for me, especially the seven pound blip. Thanks again.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:48 PM   #14  
Janette

Are you taking any medication? I had a 5 lb. gain one week because I was taking an antibiotic and a 7lb. loss the next week after I finished taking it.
I read a doctor's column the other day that said people with low blood pressure (you get dizzy when you stand up suddenly) might consider increasing their salt intake by eating pretzels or popcorn and washing it down with a tall glass of water because the salt causes the blood vessels to retain fluid and water boosts blood volume through the body. So I guess it is a medical fact that salt causes the body to retain fluid. It caught my eye because I have that problem and am not a big salt eater. What can I say--I read a lot!
Old 09-13-2004, 10:06 PM   #15  

I was told at a WW meeting that eating red meat can cause a gain. It takes a long time to "pass" A girl in line weight in and was up, she was bummed and then she told the lady she had steak tips the night before...that was her response. So if you had a lot of red meat in the past few days?
Closed Thread