Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 07:16 PM   #16  
Running Babe

Linda: I am trying core full on this week... I have had weeks with gains of being 100% OP, they happen, could be just water retention near TOM. But hey, if points work better than go for it. I have decided to try core for two weeks due to the fact I am prone to gains then bigger losses (I lose weight weirdly). I'll see how it goes.

Cheers!

Ali
Old 04-06-2005, 04:36 PM   #17  

Height: 5'7"

Bumping!
Old 04-07-2005, 04:00 PM   #18  
Athlete in Training

Question

Whaaat? OK, so ff yogurt with fruit is not core, but if I mix fruit in with plain ff yogurt, it's core, right? Now cornmeal is core, but not if I make it into muffins.

Maybe it would be easier to follow if there were some explanation for why certain things are core and not. So in the above example, you're more likely to binge on corn muffins than on fruit yogurt, so that's why corn muffins aren't core. Is this the reasoning?

I'd argue that chili, meatloaf and cheeseburgers (made with 95% lean gr beef and ff cheese) are also trigger foods for many people, but as I understand it, these are all core.

My head is spinning - but here's my plan. If I make something out of core foods, I need to be mindful of its potential for overindulgence. In my own personal experience, I've learned NOT to make core chili, 'cuz I can't manage the portion control. So when I make my pumpkin cornmeal muffins tonight, I'm going to freeze them individually so that I can enjoy them one at a time (plus I don't think they'll be a trigger food for me).

I don't know if this is the right way to go, but I'm gonna give it a try and see if the weight comes off.

-- Terry
Old 04-07-2005, 04:14 PM   #19  

Terry, that's the way I've been treating it, and it's working for me. I'd say just use common sense. If you're going to be likely to binge on it, don't eat it! If not, as long as it's reasonably Core, go for it.

Just my 2 cents,
Angela
Old 04-07-2005, 04:14 PM   #20  
Southside White Sox Fan

Terry, don't freak. This was a real old thread from when Core was first introduced. There was a lot of confusion and WW wasn't being very helpful. The final ruling is that Core + Core = Core whether you bake or pan fry (with healthy oil of course). Corn muffins made with all Core ingredients are Core as is FF yogurt with fresh fruit added. The premade kind has added sugar, that's why it isn't Core.

Your plan is correct and is EXACTLY what the program proposes. If ANY Core food is a trigger food (something you could binge on) for you then you should avoid it if you can't have a serving and stop. You do not need to count points for your pumpkin cornmeal muffins (assuming all Core ingredients) but you are wise to freeze individually. Most of us have trouble with baked goods. That's why so many "hardcore" folks were insisting that baked goods weren't Core in the beginning even when they had all Core ingredients.

Core is trying to get you to eat as many natural, unprocessed foods as possible.

Hope that's clearer?
Old 04-08-2005, 11:26 AM   #21  
Athlete in Training

Thank you for clearing it up. What you're saying makes total sense. And now I can enjoy a muffin for breakfast without feeling like I'm doing something wrong.

-- Terry
Old 04-08-2005, 12:04 PM   #22  
Southside White Sox Fan

Now that we've cleared that up....are ya sharin that recipe, girlfriend?
Old 04-08-2005, 04:05 PM   #23  
Athlete in Training

Here ya go.

Cornmeal Pumpkin Muffins
Makes 1 dozen muffins

1/2 cup cooked, mashed fresh or canned pumpkin
½ cup egg substitute
1/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
1 tbsp. oil or ¼ cup applesauce
1 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
3/4 cup oatmeal
1/3 cup granulated Splenda
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly oil or spray 12 muffin tins.

2. In a large bowl, combine pumpkin, egg substitute, yogurt, water, and oil. In a separate bowl, combine all of the remaining dry ingredients.

3. Add this to the liquid ingredients stirring just to combine. (Do not over-stir or beat).

4. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tins and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
Closed Thread