Old 07-31-2008, 08:58 PM   #1  
banned

Default warning: core vent!

OK, i am sorry but i just read a post somewhere in another section of 3fc about core being "low carb"& i just cant stand it! why do people always think that???!
andreaphilip3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:07 PM   #2  
Tracie

S/C/G: 201.2/181.4/135

Height: 5'0"

I have no idea, because core is not low carb! We can have fruit, potatos and lots of other things with carbs in them. They obviously don't know what they are talking about.
twestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:30 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/161/144

Height: 5'9"

Please don't kill me.
I think that perhaps some people mean that they think it's slightly less carby than flex.
Alas, I'm only the messenger, have mercy!!
Kofarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:42 PM   #4  
GmaTo8

When we read things like that, it's an opportunity to spread the word in a nice, friendly way that Core DOES allow healthful carbs. We might get more takers if they know the truth.
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:46 AM   #5  
banned

you guys are so right! it just drives me nuts sometimes cuz id be rich if i were paid for the number of times ive heard this.

kp, this person said she cant do core bc its low carb and she needs her carbs. theres no mistaking it. as jane pointed out, all we can do is educate
Old 08-01-2008, 04:56 PM   #6  
beachbum

Hi

I asked my ww leader at my meeting the other week why members don't want to go on the Core. She said it because of the bread.

I don't know why people think the CORE is low carbs,maybe because they are not informative about a healthy plan.Its not Atkins at all,we have a very healthy food plan here and if people are not going on it for health then its there know fault for not wanting to eat healthy.

Hugs
beach bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:38 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

The plan I am following (a modified exchange plan) was very much inspired by WW Core and SouthBeach. Although I use an exchange plan, I try to make my choices according to Core list and South Beach principles (whole foods, not processed ones). And yet, I consider my plan low carb, because it IS low in comparison to the Standard American Diet. I have no problem calling it a low carb plan, though many VERY low carbers have a problem with my calling my plan low carb because it isn't low enough (to suit them).

Low carb is not synonymous with Atkins, and in fact it's a very subjective term. How "low" in carbs must a plan be to be considered low carb - the truth is it very much depends. The Zone and South Beach and WW Core are all often considered under the "low carb" umbrella (though "very" low carbers often argue they don't belong there). Controlled carb, or Carb restricted might be a better term, but the fact is that calling Core low or lower carb, is not completely inaccurate, but rather a matter of perspective. Low in comparison to what?

Too often when people think "low carb," they mean ridiculously low carb. They're not even thinking Atkins, but Atkins induction (which gives Atkins a much worse reputation than it probably deserves) or the crazy Mayo Clinic diet that was popular (and never advocated by the Mayo Clinic).

How low is low? How cold is cold? How warm is warm? How high is high? All such terms are subjective and depend upon what you are measuring against. If you're a person who has always eaten an extremely high, especially processed carb diet, Core can be just as intimidating as Atkins (and seem almost as extreme).

People often judge plans based on their impressions rather than fact. There are many Atkins followers (legitimately following OWL) whose daily diet can easily be identical to Core followers who face the same discrimination based on what people think they know about Atkins. When I was still working, I witnessed a Core follower and a South Beech follower nearly come to blows over whether their plans were similar or not (from an outsider's point of view, they were eating very similarly).

Ultimately, it's all a matter of perspective.

Last edited by kaplods; 08-02-2008 at 04:02 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:54 PM   #8  
banned

kaploids thats a very smart plan good for you!

beach bum i think you are on to something with the bread b/c you know what i think? i think that when they see bread isnt core they associate that with no pasta etc. killer part is thisnowits me asking not to be shot!) if only tthey realized they could have 2 sl. high fiber bread a day w/o hinderance.... i eat bread and dont count but only 2 and it has to be non white high fiber. oh well, sucks for them!