Old 03-14-2008, 10:16 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 209/196/140

Height: 5'1"

Default Oils

I hope you don't mind all of my questions. Brand new...it will take me a bit to get the hang of all of this. I've noticed in the recipe section that many of the recipes say "healthy olive oil". Are all olive oils created equal? As long as it says "olive oil" am I ok?? Also, does it necessariily have to be olive oil...could I use one of the others listed in place of the olive oil? Or do they taste different?

Also, if none of your recipes for the day calls for oil....how do you get it in for the day. Take it like medicine with a spoon?
Zhai-Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 10:20 AM   #2  
Southside White Sox Fan

All olive oil is Core but I think extra virgin is supposed to be the best. They definitely taste different.

It's NO problem for me to use the oil. Any recipe that calls for sauteeing veggies...use healthy oil instead of pam spray.

Make oven fries. The recipe is on our board. It uses one potato and 2 teaspoons oil.

I use canola oil a lot since it has really no flavor.

Questions are great....never be afraid to ask.
Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 10:21 AM   #3  
Southside White Sox Fan

P.S. if you use for suateeing make sure that you take into account how many servings you are making to be sure that you don't have to get more oil in and to be sure you aren't using too much.

You could also pop your own popcorn using canola oil and the popcorn seeds.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:33 AM   #4  
Made of Starstuff

To be honest, I don't always get in my oils every day.

Healthy olive oil, I believe, they are referring to Extra Virgin Olive Oil. I have also heard from a friend that First Pressed olive oil is better. (It's the oil they get from the first pressing of the olives.) First Pressed would be on the label (though probably small than the "extra virgin" part).
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 11:01 AM   #5  
Tiff

S/C/G: 322/ticker/175

Height: 5' 7"

i have in the past actually drank my oil in the form of a shot when i've gotten to the end of the day and realized i forgot to get my oil in. (do not encourage anyone to do this, gave me an icky feeling in my stomach). but i never skip my oils, the body needs them to lose weight and absorb vitamins found in food, which i think probably keeps you fuller longer.
i like extra virgin olive oil rich flavor on veggies and salads. and olive oil mild flavor to cook with.
pipernoswiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 11:03 AM   #6  
Tiff

oops forgot. yes some oils taste very different some have no taste, i think it is just preference really.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:50 PM   #7  

Thanks you ladies!! Now more questions. So, are we to limit our oils to only 2 tsp. per day? I really think my issue is going to be getting them in, but am just curious about this.

Tiff, when you use the olive oil on your veggies and salads how do you use it? Do you mix it with some seasonings?...or just pour it on by itself?

Thanks again!
Old 03-14-2008, 02:49 PM   #8  
Southside White Sox Fan

You get two teaspoons for "free". More has to come from your WPA's or AP's.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:59 PM   #9  
Tiff

zhai-lynn
i use an Itallian salad dressing made by Good Seasons, the first time you get it you'll want to buy the kit and it comes with a decantar for measuring, i use
this stuff on everything, even steak. when i make it, i fill the decantar with apple cider vinegar to the water mark ( you can use red wine vinegar but again its a matter of preference) then i fill it with water to the oil mark, then i add the seasoning packet and voila! a totally free Itallian dressing. I then just pour it over my veggies and add my oil to the dish, that way i conrol exactly how much oil i'm getting.

its a little pricey but so worth it for me, great over cucumbers and tomatos too. they make other flavors besides Itallian, but in 5 months i'm still not bored with it. hope this helps
Old 03-14-2008, 03:24 PM   #10  
Southside White Sox Fan

Ohhhhh...could you use balsamic vinegar? I'd LOVE that! Is good seasons Core? I'm thinking most of those packets have extra sugar added. I'll check later. I'm running out the door.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:26 PM   #11  
Tiff

i honestly don't know but i sure don't want to stear anyone wrong!!!! that may be a very good save vicki, as i am on flex, i only know it is 0 points for that plan. i hope it works for you guys though cuz it really is good. and yes you can use any vinegar you like.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:11 PM   #12  

Thanks for the info. ladies!! You all have been so helpful!! Thanks!!
Old 03-16-2008, 02:44 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 224/187/132

Canola oil has virtually no taste, so you can put it into a lot of things you wouldn't ordinarily think about putting oil into. I have put a teaspoon in my oatmeal in the morning or a teaspoon in a smoothie. I have heard of people putting it into milk, but I prefer using foods with more texture. It mixes in well and you can't taste it at all. Much more pleasant than taking a teaspoon of oil!

Ann
historygeek is offline   Reply With Quote