Old 03-13-2008, 02:47 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 209/196/140

Height: 5'1"

Default Newbie with Questions

I put this in the recipe section first, but perhaps it should go here.......so I'm pasting my questions below.

I hope I'm posting these quesions in the correct section? I'm getting ready to start ww Core. I will be doing my grocery shopping tonight and I'm making my list.....I have a few questions for those of you that have been doing this for a while.

First question....I tried FF cheeses about 10 years ago or so and was NOT impressed!! Have the FF cheeses evoloved or improved at all?? I sure do hope so! Any brands that you all would recommend? I'm specifically interested in shredded cheddar cheese.

Question #2..I found a recipe here called "Smothered Chicken and Barley" that I'd like to try. It calls for uncooked pearl barley. What section of the grocery store would I buy that? What does it look like? A power..liquid?? I have no clue

Last Question is about jarred spaghetti sauce......if you use a FF/SF variety is it core?? If so, which one would you recommend?

If I don't get responses to my questions here I will try on the regular core board.

Thanks a Bunch!
Zhai-Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:58 PM   #2  
Tiff

S/C/G: 322/ticker/175

Height: 5' 7"

i guess the ff cheeses r a little better, but in my opinion i still think they are pretty crappy (however better when using to cook). i use alot of real shredded romano cheese as it is lower in points (i am on flex).

also ww has come out with it's own cheeses and i LOVE them. (little hard to find right now) hope this helps
pipernoswiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:15 PM   #3  
Tiff

S/C/G: 322/ticker/175

Height: 5' 7"

i looed in the the complete food companion and could not find not one marinara or pasta sauce that was core, however Del Monte and Contadina tomato sauces are all core, so is Equal as well as other artificial sweetners, i think i would just make my own. i'd add garlic, itallian spices, onions, green peppers, oregano and artificial sweetner, with a little salt n pepper.

you should double check at a meeting but i cant find any core pre made spaghetti sauces
hope this helps
pipernoswiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:26 PM   #4  
Southside White Sox Fan

Zhai-Lynn, the FF cheeses have improved. I like the Borden Brand. Kraft melts but it doesn't have a lot of flavor. I've taken to using the veggie shred blends, especially for Italian dishes. I can't remember the brand but it can be found in or near the produce section, usually near the organic stuff. They are great and they are Core.

I make the Smothered Barley regularly. You will love it. Pearled quick cooked barley can be found in the section with the rices. It's a grain and the grains are prety much all together.

I don't know about pre-made sauce since I always make my own. I put an awesome meat sauce recipe on our boards that I use all the time. If you just want a sauce, leave out the meat. I freeze it all the time (without the pasta) and it is great. It makes it a little more convenient that way. I know it's hard when you're working and trying to make things from scratch. Actually, cutting up the onion is the most time consuming part.

Good luck. I hope you like Core.
Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 09:46 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 209/196/140

Height: 5'1"

Thanks Ladies!! I bought the Kraft Free cheddar cheese last night and was actually pleasantly surprised. I tasted a pinch and it wasn't that bad. I will try the veggie shred blends that you are talking bout Vickie.

Off to look for that meat sauce recipe you posted. I have no problem doing homemade!

Thank you so much for the help!
Zhai-Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 11:23 AM   #6  

Height: 5' 10"

For pear barley, my store has it with the beans rather than rice. You may need to hunt a bit for it.

For jarred sauces, check the ingedients. I have found a store brand that is made from core ingredients (no added sugar or oils), so I consider it core. I have found plain marinara are best - not alot of added stuff. Read labels, some have lots of sugar.

Good luck.
blessedwithsarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 05:50 PM   #7  

S/C/G: Size 26/22/8

For FF/soy cheese, I've found that it's fine as long as it's not used for a casserole topping: gets all plastic-y. I just use breadcrumbs
cheetara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 05:51 PM   #8  

S/C/G: Size 26/22/8

And for barley, I buy it from the bulk bins at my health food store, along with my bulgur, polenta, cream of wheat, and steel-cut oats. They didn't have ww couscous there, so I had to go to a diff. health food store for that.

Last edited by cheetara; 04-02-2008 at 05:52 PM.
cheetara is offline   Reply With Quote