Friends around the World # 14 - We're in McKenzie Country in NZ.

You're on Page 14 of 25
Go to
  • Godzilla Has Returned............
    .........and no child is safe out there!! WARNING WILL ROBERTSON!!!
    Madcat the skeleton carrying monster is just too much. I am sitting here in fits of laughter. OMG!!!
    That was quite some feat of creativity! Congratulations on a job well done. good luck with the job decisions. Why is it they always come in pairs or more?? It's either a feast of a famine! good luck nonetheless. Good and sage advice for me....thank you Patience was never my strong suit but I am learning.

Happy~ I am still so pleased the WW is working so well.
    Thanks for sending the lovely 2 days we had. I think it must be on it's way back to you as it's cold and outside now!! Our trees look much nicer now.....but the winds have been ripping the leaves off!!!
    When you make it, send the soup this way as I too am ready Thank you for the lovely words too. They made my morning

Shad~ I can just see your transportation and photo schedule now you better get it all written down and get the orders given out. It cannot be easy with that many involved and from so far apart. But we all know you will get the job done and everyone will have a great time.

Ceejay~ CONGRATULATIONS ON THE LOSS!!!! YAY FOR YOU!!!
    Very nice to lose the 4 lbs!!! getting the Fall off to a great start!

I was hoping for another 1 lbs loss this week but will just have to be satisfied with the 3 lbs total for October. Got on the scale this morning and no new ones are gone.
    Happy and Ceejay are inspiring me to do better next month. But I don't feel as much of a this month. Clothes have a wee bit more room in them.
    Nothing to do today...... so general tidying up is in order.
    I forgot to tell you when I got hurt but we found those seniors. They had gotten lost looking for gas. Not sure what the whole story is but he is no longer driving. The family is doing it all now and they took his license away. Poor sod looks lost but it was necessary. The family did NOT give details of the event. God help us!!
    I am having a rethink on the Xmas candy wreath class this month. The seniors just cannot tie that many knots. sigh What was I thinking!!!!
    Off to get the dust mop
    Happy Thursday!!!
  • Good morning all,

It's a chilly "frost on the pumpkin" kind of morning. At least for all the poor cast off pumpkins lying at the foot of the road today. To me a discarded pumpkin or a dried up Christmas tree laying out front just waiting for the trash looks so forlorn to me. At one point it was in it's crowning glory - now it's just discarded trash by the side of the road. How goofy am I?

Wow Madcat, that is SOME dragon and talk about HUGE. You did a wonderful job. It looks like it's eyes light up too? I find it especially hard to work in such large proportions. I liked how it was grabbing the skeleton too So say this other job comes through - how difficult would it be to get out of your contract? How long is the contract? I suppose it's a dilema that working on your own presents - go for steady work or be able to pick and choose what you want and work through the leaner non work times. That would be hard for a security freak like me tho I am learning that old methods of thinking sometimes keep you from expanding your horizons and often the dreaded bad outcome we fear never materializes. Good luck with your decision and I hope something more exciting comes your way.

Hi Suzi, thanks for the whoo hoos How did the haircut come out? Hope you are feeling better. I hear you on the scale thing, why is that our only mental measure of success? I guess you really do have to do the measurement thing. Or I would track things like number of reps walked along the walking track, steps on the pedometer, miles pedalled on the bike or laps in swimming. Some target that as the numbers get up there makes you feel so proud of yourself. And it spurs you to do a bit more too.

I daresay it's going to get a bit quiet here for the moment with Shad busy with the family reunion. Good time for you to come out of lurking Meadow and Tig *hint, hint*

I have a feeling Mel is somewhere over my head doing a cross post as I type Hi Mel how are you my northern sister? I hear they are considering if they haven't passed the law already to recognize gay marriages in the state of NJ. It was funny, I was watching the TV program The View. One of the hosts - Joy Behar is constantly getting teased about not wanting to marry her long time live in boyfriend. She told Rosie O'Donnell that the US should recognize gay marriages as it seems only gay people want to get married anymore - commenting on a recent news item that for the first time in the history of the census, there are more households of unmarried couples than married ones.

I don't see marriage going away anytime soon tho. I think if people worked through their problems and took more time considering and getting to know the person they intend to marry, that maybe there wouldn't be as many divorces. Just my opinion tho...

Ok, off to the salt mine as they say. Only 2 more days to work until the weekend...
  • GET TO WORK YOU WENCH

(you're not goofy and we wouldn't have you any other way! )
  • PS~ I used to feel sorry for my boots and rubbers because they were always out in bad weather....now THAT'S GOOFY!!!!!
  • It was a frosty morning today. I'm having my first cup of hot chocolate this morning of the fall season. It's called chocolate raspberry, yummy.

Seems like every one is busy. I'm going to bless my house today with a good cleaning. There will be no trip to Paragould this week end either. I also need to get my flu shot today and maybe go to the gym to get out of the house.

I couldn't figure out why I had binged for the last couple of days but after taking my blood sugar this morning I do. It was too low.

I can honestly feel all the good vibs this morning.

My boss is always a phone call away. It just seems that lately I don't see him. He rather be outside digging in the dirt. You know how men are about power tools and machinery.

By the way I've lost another pound this morning. Drink your water.
  • Yay CeeJay on "downscaling" November already. Ha ha I made a pun Your hot chocolate reminded me. I have several yummy packages from the left over Diet to Your Door stock I have yet to use. The hot chocolate was one of the best things about the diet. But for me chocolate = pimples so I can only have 1 cup a week. But thanks for reminding me. Enjoy yours and give that house a good blessing!

Mel I KNEW you were watching over me this morning. Yes, I am at work you slave driver you I LOVE your Thanksgiving avatar!!!!!!! I might even steal it

Ok, I just finished my 12 dry almond snack, time to get back to writing code again. Catch up later chicks...
  • Morning all,
    Seems that early morning is the only time I have to come here at the moment - still it keeps me accountable.

Yesterday I took DNR and partner to Lone Pine Sanctuary where they cuddled the koala and took over the snake show and then took part in the birds of prey show. DNR likes to get involved. She has a highly developed sense of touch and feel. Previously she started training as a vet nurse, but never finished it for one reason or another but it is obvious that she loves animals. Today they are going down to the Gold Coast with DNJ who has the day off school to be with her cousins. I'm not sure DB2 is that excited about her going driving all the way down there but I'm sure she will be okay. She's only had her licence a few weeks. The two I have here are going into Brisbane City for the day. And I am going to buy a fish and then pick up my sister and we are coming home to prepare some of the party food, gossip, catch up and generally keep busy. We need to find some decorations for the do as well. I hope we have enough puff left to blow up the balloons.
    DB2 through a bit of a spanner in the works by announcing that DN has a gridiron game on Saturday at 4.00pm which meant they wouldn't make the barbeque until after six. After quick thought, I decided that wasn't so bad, I could have the surprise guests stowed away in the house for when he arrived provided I could persuade DN to lose some socks or pants or whatever when changing. Now he tells me that the game is at 2.00pm and he would like all the cousins to go and cheer the kid on. Well that's easy enough but I will have to give some thought to what that might mean for timing of the arrival of my surprise guests. DB2 never fails to throw the spanner in works - even if he doesn't know that he is doing it.
    Complete menu for the do is:

4 different dips and chippies or biscuits. Assorted deli bits.
    Weber roasted leg of pork (complete with crackling(I hope)) and apple sauce
    Weber roasted, cous cous stuffed chicken with salsa
    Weber roasted whole fish with herby crust.
    Fillet steak on the barbeque - various sauces, mustards etc.
    Onions on the barbeque.
    Potato bake
    Pilaf
    Two green salads,
    Beetroot and Feta Salad
    Maybe a potato salad
    Trifle
    Apple Pie
    Cheese board with dried fruit
    Fresh Fruit platter

I think that should do them. DS1 will have two vegetarian dishes to choose from and I will have to put them in a quiet place since I have found that many people actually quite like vegetarian fare provided they don't know what it is!!! There will be plenty of fruit juice, water, soft drinks, and some beer and wine. If they want the hard stuff, there is a bottle shop down the road.
    Dentist yesterday was a long drawn out session. I sometimes wonder if it would have been easier (and no doubt cheaper) to have the two teeth removed and be done with it. But I am stubbon, I hang on to these things, and at least I guess it is getting shot of the old black fillings and replacing them with pearly whites.

Madcat - what an effort to put that dragon together. It looks great.
    To break a contract or not. That is the question. Without doubt, I would advise going with your gut feelings and taking whichever job will advance your skills, prove more interesting, get you to another place in your working life, or remove you from a drudgery, pay the bills and contribute to your overall wellbeing. If that proves to be the old job, fine stick with it, if not move on with no regrets. Will the new place wait for you? How long is the contract you signed for? Security used to be the be all and end all. Now there is basically no such thing as job security and one must make the best decisions possible based on the knowledge and information available. The safe route as Happy pointed out is not always the best route.
    DNR and DNJ are my two nieces. I'm trying to differentiate between all the cousins - unfortunately when it comes to the nephews their initials are just about the same as the nieces. Heaven help me - I think I'll just yell - HEY YOU!!!

Ceejay - well done on another pound down. Whatever you are doing, you are doing it well. Keep going - you'll get to California shortly.

Mel - I have a running sheet all set out on the computer. It tells me who is going where at what time, what I need to do as far as feeding the hordes, who is doing what in the party line and whether we need to go shopping for what and when. However being my family - they tend to goof it up from time to time and I have to think on my feet. Thank heavens for DS2 who always comes up with some sort of solution at the eleventh hour. Thinks laterally that kid. The schedule therefore is not hard and fast I would not be so didactic as to give it to them with military precision. Some have already found out just how big Australia is and how long it takes to get from one place to another. The distance I drove yesterday (one of them worked out) was enough to get from Wellington to Palmerston North (in NZ) and back twice. (about 400km). They are slowly getting the picture.
    Now I have to spend some time sorting out a quick speech for the presentation of the DB2's birthday gift voucher. That could be interesting!

Happy - if you are goofy for feeling sorry for the pumpkins at the end of the street, I wonder what you think of a person who feels guilty for replacing a trusty old car for a new one! And wishes it a peaceful life with it's next owner! I also feel sorry for empty and neglected houses. I wonder what a psychologist would think about imbuing inanimate objects with powerful human feelings! Perhaps Painter will enlighten us.

Morning to Suzi, Tig, Teel, Linus, Rose, Meadow, Holly, Painter, Turtle, Raven all missing in action. We've more on the missing list than we have on the posting list.

Gotta go. I hear stirrings from next door. A new day has begun.
  • It's raining it's pouring !!!

I am sitting here at work looking at it all and acutally it's really good to see it. The funny thing is I have two magic tasks I do that are guaranteed to make it rain, filling up my pool or washing my car. I filled my pool last night
    Cee jay and Happy I know where you lbs went, on me!! I popped on the scales at the gym. I know that it was afternoon and i had eaten :sigh: Oh well. I did lose 2.5 kilos in Oct. it looks more like 4 now which is just over 4 lbs! I will do a proper weigh and measure this weekend.

Back from working.....

3 times Gym this week so far which is one better than last week. This bug has knocked us around but feeling so much better now. It was one of those nasty virus's that just hangs around.

My friend is coming from NZ today with her daughter. We should have fun. It's her first time in Sydney and so can't wait to see her. She will enjoy it all here. The weather is not cooperating but when does it when you have visitors. I usually get made out to be a liar and the weather picks up when they leave. She's here for a week though so it should be ok.

I have had major issues this week with older DS14. Stuff and influences at school. I felt like such a meanie but things were getting out of hand. The school took up an issue with him as he had associated with some kids who were involved with the wrong activities. He wasn't guilty but almost by association. DS has been trying to find himself the last few months, he has changed his hair cut and he has also discovered a HUGE attitude to boot.
    When I addressed this issue with the Deputy Principal he informed me that DS has been noted to be quite arrogant at times with other teachers, Alarm bells went off for me. I have never heard the words arrogant associated with my son before, his reports have always been quiet and polite. Needless to say i was concerned and discussed this with the DP. DP is running a report on DS and will get back to me next week. it has left room for discussion for DH and DS and myself. We discussed the idea of perspective with him. The impression you give to other and the attitude you show. I think he understood. Yesterday we went for a haircut at the mall and he had the works, new highlights and a snazzy do, not the bangs in front of your face anymore. He wanted the change and was so happy. He said to us this morning that it was amazing how a haircut can really lift a weight off your shoulders. I think it was really letting Mum and Dad know what was going on.

Being a parent is bloddy hard!

Shad your menu sounds fantastic. I love the sound of all those roasted meats in the weber :yum: You have missed your vocation. Perhaps you should have been an events organiser. Remind me when I have something else to organise to get some tips from you. I hope the surprise if fantstic. It sounds as if you will have a few out of your hair which is probably good while you are organising.

Happy. You have encouraged me to have organised 'snacks" and not just graze when i am hubgry. Thank you! I think you are doing so well. It's good to know people are watching over you hey? The haircut looks lovely as usual and she didn't charge me and arm and a leg. I love feeling like I am a princess for a few hours and then it's back to reality at the Gym with sweat rolling down my forhead. how do those movie stars do it???

Madcat... your dragon looks sensational. It really was a major fete. What great things you have on the horizon. It's so good to get head hunted like that. I wish you all the best in your decision making.

Ceejay...wow. Another lb. you lucky piggy. I wish it was me. Enjoy your relaxing weekend and the blessing of a clean house!

Mel hope the tidying went well, it's good having those days, usually something crops up to distract us...awww. I am glad to hear the senior were found safe and sound, poor old codger. It's such a shame.
    I have show tunes going on in the background here...someone has changed the radio station...ekkk.

Must fly as work to do and mail to post.

Have lovely weekends.
  • SUZI~ THANK GOD THE CHANNELS OF SPEECH ARE STILL OPEN AND I THINK YOUARE RIGHT....IT WAS A BURDEN AND IN TALKING HE LET IT ALL OUT. HARD TO BE A KID TOO IN THIS DAY AND AGE. SO MANY MORE PRESSURES. WHEN I WAS IN SCHOOL IT WAS ONLY SEX!!! ROFLMAO

CEEJAY~ WOW!! MORE WEIGHT LOSS!! CONGRATS THERE GIRL!! YOU ARE ON A ROLL FOR SURE!! SO PLEASED FOR YOU. EVERY TIME I THINK OF CHEATING I THINK OF YOU AND HAPPY! DOESN'T HOT CHOCOLATE REALLY HIT THE SPOT WHE N IT GETS COLD...YUM. GOOD IDEA. MAYBE I'LL GET SOME NEW FOR THE WEEKEND! HOPE THE SUGAR STAYS EVEN

HAPPY~ I WAS SPYING ON YOU AND FOUND YOUR CODE LEFT UNDONE!!! FAR TOO MUCH 3FC TIME!!! ROFLMAO
    HAVE YOU RECOVERED FROM THE PARTY AND LONG DRIVES? ENJOY YOUR COCOA. I JUST REMEMBERED THERE ARE A FEW PACKETS OF GHIRADELI(SP) IN THE OFFICE....I SHOULD GRAB ONE!!

SHAD~ THE FRUITS OF YOUR LABORS WILL BE ALL THE SMILING FACES AND GOOD CONVERSATIONS AND NEW MEMORIES THAT WILL BE MADE ON HIS SPECIAL DAY. WHAT A THRILL IT WILL ALL BE FOR THEM TO BE ALL TOGETHER AGAIN. BEEN TOO LONG. AFTER IT IS ALL OVER YOU CAN COLLAPSE ON THE DIVAN AND TAKE A GOOD REST WITH FEET UP, A GLASS OF WINE AND SOME FOOTY....OR WHATEVER IS PLAYING!! LOL
    AND HERE I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE FEELING SORRY FOR INANIMATE OBJECTS!! NICE TO KNOW I HAVE SO MUCH COMPANY!!! I REALLY HOPE YOU WEEKEND IS FILLED WITH LOVE AND HAPPINESS. ENJOY!

I MUST GET SOME BREAKFAST IN A HURRY....I AM STARVING! MUST BE THE COOLER WEATHER. I AM WORKING NEXT TUESDAY....IT'S A VOTING PRIMARY. SENATORS AND THAT. SO I AM RESTING UP FOR IT AS I REFUSE TO HAVE A REPEAT OF LAST MONTH!!
    I HAVE ALSO CLEANED OUT MY EARS WITH A Q-TIP SO ALL THE CRAP I HEAR THAT DAY WILL GO IN ONE AND OUT THE OTHER
    EVERYTHING IN MODERATION.....MY NEW MOTTO.
    SOON IT WILL BE A WAY OF LIFE ( )
    HAPPY FRIDAY AND HAPPY WEEKEND
  • PS Happy....go ahead and have some of my turkey!!
    I will share him! Now get back to work!
  • Good chilly morning ladies,

It's below freezing out there. Will need to leave a few minutes early to defrost the windshield today. Brrrrrrr. At least I get to wear some of my new warm sweaters.

Good heavens, I see that Mel has once again been right behind me typing away. BOOO Happy! Argh Mel - you startled me again. Now I have to peek down and see what you wrote!

CeeJay gave me a taste for cocoa yesterday so as I went roaming around the office (took a 10 minute walk twice yesterday), I came across some packets of sugar free hot chocolate. I decided to try it. It was surprisingly good and I could not tell it was sugar free. At first. Then about an hour after I drank it, I started to feel the familiar tummy cramps. I just cannot tolerate any kind of artificial sweetner, even Splenda made from real sugar. Too bad, it was a real treat for 1 point and tasted even better when it was cold outside. Guess I'll go back to my teas which I have to learn how to drink without sugar. Hey, even the flavored ones need a bit of sweetness.

Hey Mel, that was funny about cleaning the ears out Isn't that a rather long and stressful on the Mel type of day to work an election? We have a rather heated senate race here that I hear is getting national coverage. All I can say is they both have alot of money because they are both running TV commercials about every 10 minutes during prime time. One of the candidates guaranteed not to get my vote from the get go as his entire campaign has been based not on what he will DO if he's elected but rather just to discredit the other guy. I saw a news blurb the other day that candidates spend 3 times their allotment on content that is negative compared to the stuff that is positive. But I swear I've never seen so many commercials for 2 candidates in my life. One of the guys is now saying in less than a week you'll not longer have to listen to our commercials. Any way get all the rest you can missy, I think it's going to be a busy week ahead for you.

Suzi, I'm glad you got a chance to talk to the DS. This is a trying time in their lives at that age. Glad you can approach it with compassion. It's so hard to try and guide them in the right direction yet let them be free enough to open their wings and find their own way. Good to hear too that you have organized your snacks. I guess a big part of it is thinking about what you're going to put in your mouth BEFORE you actually do it and chosing wisely.

Shad, your menu has my mouth watering even tho none of those is really breakfast food. You are laying out quite the spread there! It sounds like the party will be heavenly. Hope you have great weather, sounds as tho people will be milling about. I know what you mean about the teeth tho they say it is really better to keep the real ones as long as possible. DH says that's because they can guarantee huge dental bills for a long time I think he might be right! The weekend is upon you so that means it's time to P-A-R-T-Y have the very BEST time with the family.

Good morning CeeJay and Madcat. Hellos to the rest, I think I'll go put a pot of steel cut oats on while I shower up. Happy Friday ladies
  • Oh and Suzi, it sounds as if you lost 4 pounds last month - you go girl!!!!!

4 must be a magic number for us
  • Oprah's Latest Rage: Dr Oz
    THIS GUY IS VERY POPULAR AND IS IN A NYC HOSPITAL. TO HIM IT IS ALL ABOUT WAIST LINES AND HAS WRITTEN BOOKS ON THE SUBJECT. JUST THOUGHT I WOULD SHARE AS HE IS GOING TO BE ON THE DISCOVERY HEALTH CHANNEL TONITE AT 10:PM E/P TIME AND SEVERAL TIMES THIS MONTH. HERE IS A BLURB FROM THE DHC:

Meet Dr. Oz

Although he's pioneering new ways of thinking about medical care, Dr. Mehmet Oz, an award-winning heart surgeon with degrees from Harvard, Wharton and the University of Pennsylvania, wasn't always sure medicine was his calling. "As a child I wanted to be either a pro athlete or a heart surgeon," says the Turkish-born Oz. "I failed at the former, so I pursued the latter. In reality, they are scarily similar professions. You have to deliver the goods every day. And no one cares how well you performed yesterday."

Today, Dr. Oz is vice chair of surgery and professor of cardiac surgery at Columbia University. He directs the Cardiovascular Institute and is a founder and director of the Complementary Medicine program at New York Presbyterian Medical Center. He is the author of the book Healing From the Heart and more than 350 other publications. He has appeared on television and has been interviewed in national magazines and newspapers to discuss his success with complementary medicine. He also holds several patents.

His approach incorporates both traditional Western techniques for treating disease and alternative ideas about healthy lifestyle choices that contribute to overall wellness. "My heritage as a Turk allowed me to see the world from different perspectives," he says. "Remember that Istanbul bridges Europe with Asia and Christianity with Islam. We face similar conflicts with simultaneously profound differences and similarities in medicine today."

In his New York practice, Dr. Oz has seen success treating patients some of them famous celebrities with Eastern techniques such as acupuncture and yoga as well as controversial therapies such as hypnosis, music, massage, reflexology, aromatherapy and energy healing. He encourages patients to become partners with their doctors in their care, and hopes people will learn to be experts on their own health.

The doctor certainly practices what he preaches. He says yoga is an important part of his weekly fitness routine and anger and stress management are keys to his wellness. His advice for a healthy life emphasizes emotional health and gratitude. "Stay vital and engaged. If you do not have an important reason to stay healthy, then you will get sick," he reminds us.

He uses the example of a tumor to illustrate why simple lifestyle choices like giving back to the community will keep you healthy. "Cancer cells survive by hurting those around them. They suck the chi, or energy, from life. Instead, we need to behave like our immune cells, searching out problem areas and protecting our communities."
  • Happy--There is frost here too. It was suppose to get below 32 last night.
    Unfortunately my hot chocolate is not sugar free. These ae packets that I had bought last year around Christmas time. They have Santa on the front. I'm going to make a pot of soup today.

Shad--Your menu sounds delicious.

Suzi-your son is a teenager now and exploring new territory. I'm glad that you are a caring parent.

Mel-We had elections yesterday. I'm not sure of the outcome of the mayors race which is the only one that I'm really interested in locally. I voted early.
    I'm tired of the campaigning. Seems like we have two commercials, one for the campaign and another for and advertisment at the same time. That drives me crazy.

Hello to the rest.

Yesterday I went to get my flu shot and decided that I needed to go ahead and go to the doctor about the pain I've been having in my lower right side. He ruled out appendicitis, yes I still have my appendix. He did a cbc to get the white blood count which was elevated and so was my temperature. He now thinks it's my ovary. I'm suppose to go back today if it's still bothering me for a scan. I'm not sure what that means probably an ultrasound. Right now it's not bothering me but I've not been on my feet either.

I'm going to eat my oatmeal and have another cup of hot chocolate.
  • Major General Shad here - stand to attention.
    I'm beginning to quite like being the ringmaster. I have folk racing around in ever decreasing circles, dodging other folk and looking for the next job. They take the next on the list. There is a delightful young bloke chopping onion and garlic as we speak. Never done this before he said. Have you eaten it before I ask. Yes he said. So now you can appreciate how much effort goes into getting the dish ready for you consumption, I say. Yersssss says he.

The ex is being general chauffeur to the players and is ferrying food and people about and shortly will be sent shopping for soft drinks and some beer. Later he will be detailed to peeling and chopping onions for the barbecue.

DB2 is being managed by his niece DNR and I have my nephew out looking at trimming my hedge. Nothing to do with the party, but he needs to be kept busy.

DS and I are stage managing the food and I suspect we will be all ready fairly early - which is good because then we can get the DB2 to take the nieces and nephews to watch his son play gridiron and that will get rid of him for the rest of the afternoon.

Oh coffee is made - thank heavens for that, lets see how well the non coffee drinking DS1 has listened to the coffee lecture. It's also time for some toast. I'll be back.