Back to Basics - July

You're on Page 4 of 8
Go to
  • Hi there, Roxy, jolly, glad to see you're doing okay. Roxy, the sore arms sound like you gave yourself a good workout there! jolly, you say you're stress eating but those gym and junk food saves were fantastic! Keep it up. You'll get on top of it and, yes, I like what you said to Derry about fresh starts. Why consider the entire day shot because you overdo it at some point. Try, try again.
    I've been kind of practicing the "Wait!" command, kind of like you'd say to a dog in front of his food. I do this with those special hardcore sweets I may be looking to wolf down. I put it off and put it off, seeing how long I can wait and sometimes end up deciding to just go to bed instead. It's also good because I often can wait till after a workout and that apparently is the best time (if you're going to eat it) to eat simple carbs, after a heavy workout. Sometimes I just have really sweet fruit because I feel so good about having worked out and that it's behind me that I don't want the candy bar or whatever. So, anyhow, just thought you all could try the "Wait!" command. It's kind of fun hearing it in your head and knowing you do get to lunge for the food...but later.
  • I like that, Red. "waaaaaait" I just hope i can obedience train myself better than my dogs. It's funny too, treating myself like a dog, as sometimes I think my dog is channeling my mother. Those mornings when I decide to skip the gym, and she just sits in the doorway, like she would be tapping her foot if she could, and looking like she is thinking "what ARE you doing?" Usually it works too, and I get off to the gym.

I did my 2 mile run this morning. I figure I am at about a 12 minute mile right now. Not stellar. But, I want to get closer to a 10 minute, then start adding distance.

That's all for now. Gotta stretch out, make breakfast, and get to work. Have a great day all.
  • Hello all. Red, I like your idea too. Gonna try the "wait" command on myself. Jolly, I think you are doing great on your running!

Yesterday was good until dinner. DD wanted to cook. She decided she wanted to make chicken fetticine alfredo. I limited myself to a small portion and the added a big salad. I even skipped the garlic bread sticks! I'm sure I went over my points but that's ok. It's not everyday that my DD offers to cook! I did get to the gym after work too. My arms are still a little sore but getting better.

Have a great day!
  • Hurray for getting to the gym, Roxy. And what a yummy, special dinner. I wish I could limit myself at all when it comes to pasta. That is such a huge trigger for me, I just try to avoid it whenever possible. And I LOVE chicken alfredo. Good for you!

Have a great day.
  • Can I join your group?

I feel bad just butting in, but there aren't many new groups around here!! I've read through some of your posts and you ladies seem to be a great support group for each other!
  • Well, it's that time of the month, and I'm grumpy and bloated and generally unpleasant to be around. OK eating day, I had a salad for lunch, but I guess I can't expect scale results for a week or so . Maybe I can turn that into a good thing...no scale until next Thursday, work my butt off and maybe I'll be pleasantly suprised!! YES! I will do it!!!
    Welcome to our group, Legal! We love having more people to chat with.
    Bed time for the little ones, see you tomorrow. As Scarlett O'Hara once said, "After all, tomorrow is another day..."
  • Good morning all, and welcome Legal! Butt in all you want, we are glad to have you.

I am soooo tired this morning. I worked last night as I took off Saturday. Yikes! But I will get to the gym anyway. I will I will I will. And, as a mini save, again I was craving ice cream when I left work, and again I refrained. Hurray!

Have a wonderful day all.
  • Happy Friday!

Welcome Legal! Great to have a new person join us.

Apple - I love you attitude! And that's a great quote to use!

Jolly - I had the ice cream for you! DH & DD wanted Dairy Queen. I gave in and had a small vanilla cone, so that wasn't too bad. I could of had a Blizzard!

I have a weekend of house cleaning and laundry a head of me, but at least I will be at home! Haven't had a free weekend in a couple weeks so I need to get some things done. That will keep me busy and out of the kitchen.

Have a great day!
  • Ladies, when you were first starting out, how did you convince yourself to work out daily?? That's my biggest problem!! What kinds of workout do you do also? I just can't bring myself to work out, and I think it's because I can't find anything I just love to do...
  • When I was first starting out, Legal, I didn't do any exercise I didn't get a phy ed credit for. I was introduced to an exercise I loved, and that really convinced me to like exercise in general. If you don't like what you are doing, you won't do it. Also, schedule it in, and at a time when you will have the least excuses not to do it. I am so NOT a morning person, but I became one because exercise became important to me, and mornings are the only time I can get a workout in for sure. But first and most importantly, find something you enjoy.

Have a great day all. I am off to the gym, the barn, and then my friend's house.
  • Legal, I used to run/jog but since I've had children I've had a hard time keeping up with it. I seem to get in shape, fall out and have to start all over and it's frustrating. Plus I have a knee that needs extra care. So I have been walking. I can do that with the baby and it's really nice to get out and around the neighborhood too. It's a great way to start an exercise program also. Anyone can walk!! I really don't like lifting weights, but I think if my arms are ever going to tighten up I'm going to have to buckle down and endure. Like red said, when those arms are in sleeveless tops again, it will be worth it. Just waiting for some motivation...... (aren't we all?)
  • Hey all. I need to find that motivation too. I had a late night with some of my girlfriends last night. I didn't get up in time to run, and due to the heat, and the time consstraints, am not getting out to the barn. I need to hurry up, clean the apartment, and get to the gym then, but instead I am just sitting around.

Maybe a day of rest isn't the worst thing??? I did work out every other day this week.

Have a great day all.
  • Good Morning! I use to exercise regularly, when I was younger. Then stopped because with kids and work I had no time. I started walking at noon for 30 minutes with a co-worker about a year ago. Then my DD (who is 19) convinced me to go back to the gym. I started going to the gym 3-4 times a week in January. It has helped me to have more energy! Don't think I will get to the gym today. I did something to my arm and it has really been hurting. I have no strength in it right now. So I decided to give it a rest for a few days. I will get my walk in though.

Have a great day!
  • I did not make it to the gym again today either. I did something I hadn't in awhile, and took an extra nap on the couch Bad Teri, Bad. I wish I knew what was going on, that I am so tired so much of the time.

Not much else going on here. Have a great day all.
  • jollygirl, we all deserve an extra nap once in awhile!!

I made it to the gym today 45 minutes on the stationary bike, lifted weights (focused on legs) and 15 minutes on the eliptical to cool down I am so proud of myself!!