Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 02:10 PM   #1  

Question Have you heard of Phentermine???????

If someone can help me out here! My mom is wanting to try this diet pill called Phentermine. Can anyone tell me anything about it????? It sounds dangerous to me. Mom's friend has lost 37lbs since christmas. That sounds like a lot way to fast to me. She wants me to try it too but I'm not going to I'm happy with my 1-2 lbs a week. If anyone can help me out that would be great!!!!!!!!!

Scorpiobby20
Old 01-24-2005, 02:35 PM   #2  

Default Phentermine

I bought them before and they were $150.00 for 3 months. I thought they were pretty expensive, but I know a lot of people who have taken them and dropped they weight so I decided to try them out. They made me really "wigged" out, and I started them at like 6 am and then around 1pm I was dead to the world. They made me very very cranky and in a bad mood. You only take one a day but in the end my chest really hurt a lot. I quit taking them and now am just doing weight watchers. The way I look at it, the quicker you drop the pounds the faster and easier it is to put them back on. As soon as my pill wore off I was back in the kitchen again.But that is my experience with them, other people really like them.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:52 PM   #3  
Uber-Moderator!!

Phentermine has been around for a LONG time - it was approved by the FDA as a TEMPORARY prescription weight reduction drug in 1972. It was also the "Phen" part of Phen-Fen (Fenfluramine was pulled off the market after many users developed PPH, which is basically a heart valve malfunction I believe...).

Most of the stories and ancedotes I've heard about "Phen" use are similar to Haley's. It works for people...for a short time...then the effects of the pill wear off and the user invarably gains weight back. The few exceptions to the regain rule are the people who worked CLOSELY with their personal physician and made a lifestyle change during the short duration of the drug's effectiveness and were able to continue those changes. Since phen is a close cousin of amphetamine (from what I've read) I believe it is IMPERATIVE that anyone taking it or considering taking it be medically monitored...and that's a HUGE reason for NOT ordering it from an online 'pill mill' - not to mention the fact that many of those online drug sites are located OUTSIDE the US and therefore are not subject to the strict FDA regs here in the States.

$150 for 3 months?!? Whew...I guess that's not as bad as some of those supplements that are advertised on TV for $153 a bottle (lasting a month or less). But still...the people I know who have taken phen have had it prescribed by their PCP and their insurance paid for it - usually $5-$10 a month. BIG difference. Ouch!

And yes - to me almost 40 lbs in a month seems WAY too fast, unless your mom's friend was VERY morbidly obese...

And just a final thought...Phen's been around for 32 years already...if it WERE a 'magic cure' for fat, wouldn't you suppose we'd see the results and doctors would readily prescribe it? I gotta say that the thought of taking something that's closely related to speed (thinking of acquaintances in the past who took speed/meth/bennies and how it adversely affected them) is just scary to me. For God's sake, if you are interested in taking this, PLEASE consult with your PCP (not one of those 'online doctors') and follow his/her directions. I don't want ANYONE to get hurt.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:30 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

Yep I've used Phentermine, I didn't like it at all and it didn't do too much for me. It made me so jittery and I would be tired but unable to fall asleep. The price was fine for me though since my insurance paid for it, it only cost me 5 bucks a month. And of course like MrsJim said, if you or someone you know wants to take these meds consult a real doctor in person, don't order them off the internet, this can be very dangerous to your health.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:55 PM   #5  

Thanks for the info. There was no way that I was going to take this. I am happy with my WW plan. Mom lives in a state where the FDA won't allow them to be shipped. So she wants me to order them for her online but I'm not going to. She won't ask her doctor about them so I'm not going to help her get them either. She already has health issues and I'm not going to help her get something that may cause her harm. Thank you so much
Old 01-25-2005, 01:14 AM   #6  
L J

I am starting on Phentermine tomorrow. And, yes, I did order it online. I would be very leery of doing that though- I did several months of research before finding a site that I knew was reputable.

Like others have said, Phen is not a "miracle pill". I strongly believe that it is going to work for me because it is going to greatly suppress my HUGE appetite, and stop my cravings, and make it easier for me to make a lifestyle change.

I know MANY people who have had great sucess with Phen. Lost the weight and kept it off for a long period of time. However, all of those people realized that the pill was not going to do the work for them. They had to change what they ate, and when they ate it, and begin a regular exercise regmine.

I am going into this very realistically. I do not expect to lose 30 pounds in a month. Most people lose between 4-6 pounds the first week on Phen, and then 2 pounds per week after that. That's what I'm shooting for.
Anything more than that is unhealthy and unsafe, unless of course the person is morbidly obese. And, general concensus is, the more weight you have to lose, the more you lose the first couple of weeks on Phen. I don't have much to lose, so if I only lose 3 pounds I'll be happy.

Old 01-25-2005, 03:12 PM   #7  
it's always something

The bad thing about ordering products like Phen from online pharmacies (other than the extremely high price) is that you don't get the benefit of a physical exam and monitoring. The online pharmacies use a questionnaire which a doctor reviews then approves the prescription. However, s/he is not there checking your blood pressure, monitoring your general health, or considering the possibility that the patient has an eating disorder or health problem that makes diet pills dangerous.

I agree with MrsJim. If Phentermine was really such a big help, then we wouldn't have an obesity problem today.

Quote:
Side effects cannot be anticipated. If any develop or change in intensity, inform your doctor as soon as possible. Only your doctor can determine if it is safe for you to continue taking this medication.

* Side effects may include:
Changes in sex drive, constipation, diarrhea, dizziness, dry mouth, exaggerated feelings of depression or elation, headache, high blood pressure, hives, impotence, inability to fall or stay asleep, increased heart rate, overstimulation, restlessness, stomach or intestinal problems, throbbing heartbeat, tremors, unpleasant taste

This drug can cause a rare but potentially fatal condition called primary pulmonary hypertension. Call your doctor immediately if you develop such warning signs as chest pain, shortness of breath, fainting spells, or swollen ankles.

This drug may affect your ability to perform potentially hazardous activities. Therefore, you should be extremely careful if you have to drive a car or operate machinery.

You can become psychologically dependent on this drug. Consult your doctor if you rely on this drug to maintain a state of well-being.

If you stop taking this drug suddenly after you have taken high doses for a long time, you may find you are extremely fatigued or depressed, or that you have trouble sleeping.

If you continually take too much of any appetite suppressant it can cause severe skin disorders, a pronounced inability to fall or stay asleep, irritability, hyperactivity, and personality changes.

Even if your blood pressure is only mildly high, be careful taking this drug.
Who would want to take this without a physician monitoring you?

Many people do have appetite problems at the start of a diet, but this subsides after about two weeks, as you get used to eating less. Joining support groups can help make all the difference during those two weeks.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:06 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

I can't stress how important it is to be monitored while taking these or any other medications. There is a reason that they have to be prescribed. And I don't call a chat with an online "doctor" a physician, I take meds and I have to be monitored monthly to make sure I'm not having any problems with my liver function and blood pressure.

I agree with everything that Suzanne and MrsJim said, these meds are definitely not miracle jobs and must be used in conjunction with a lower calorie diet and exercise other wise taking these meds will be fruitless. Most times a doctor will also put you on a "diet" before prescribing these medications to see if you actually need a little help or if you just aren't trying. For me to continue taking my meridia, I have to show a loss or maintain every month or I will be taken off of it and still monitored by my doctor, because she is worried of the effects of my weight on my health.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:17 PM   #9  
Indian Princess

Smile I tried it

I bought a 3 month rx online last year and had some success, but after about 5 weeks, my body got use to it and it didn't really work. I lost 18lbs, but was constantly thristy, dry mouth. It did decrease appetite and increase enegry,but my body got use to it and wasn't really doing anything, so I stopped taking it. I still have about 2 weeks left sitting on my kitchen counter. Go thru your PCP as it is cheaper, I paid 39.00 x3 for my rx. Have a great day.
Closed Thread