LWL #148 Week of 3/29 - 4/4 2004

You're on Page 3 of 10
Go to
  • Wow - I went to bed and all of this happened. I hate being 8 hours ahead!
    I hope this is resolved. Personally, I love this thread. I love being able to contact and communicate with women who value excersize (both cardio and lifting) and still manage to have a life outside of the gym.
    I also love that there are so many different styles and approaches to health and fitness draw from here. When I ask a question I like that I am not going to get 10 of the same answer, varity is good.
    Since I have been posting here and being involved with the online aspect of my new lifestyle. You are my weight loss community - I can't go to meetings or make friends at the gym. I am and a country where I do not speak the language and in the military where just about everyone is in better shape than me. We (the armed forces in general) are moving at such a pace that no one wants to (metophoricaly speaking) slow down and wait for each other. My physical readiness is my own responsibility and - I don't know, it's hard to explain - the Army is a big machine and if you don't move fast enough you will get run over. This site and this link in particular has helped me more than I can express!!
    Anyway - I like the varity and the feeling of community here. I hope that does not change.
    I have to go to work. No crazy stuff while I am gone
    kjo
  • Happy Tuesday!
    Good Tuesday morning, LWL, and thanks for getting the week started, Melissa (you did it perfectly, BTW ).

Congratulations to our LOSERS: Tiki and Krista. Who else’s been losing these days? Tiki — it’s a head game for you now that you’re back to 155. It’s way too easy to fall into that “good enough” syndrome — you know, the clothes fit again and you’re looking and feeling pretty good. And sometimes that little voice tells you that where you are is “good enough” so it’s OK to skip a workout or cheat. Stay focused on your goal! Think how fun it will be to be too small for all the clothes in your closet! Think Whole New Wardrobe! I know there’s a pair of Manolo Blahnicks out there with your name on them (well, heck, your feet probably won’t shrink but you deserve them ).

I’m also anxiously awaiting word from our Dip about her battle with smoking. Thought about you all weekend, chickie, and I know how tough this is, but there’s no doubt in my mind who’s going to win this war.

Ilene my — was it Leg Day for you yesterday? 'Twas for me — and I’m loving the soreness this AM. I did a back workout yesterday too, a few hours after legs. Problem with all that working out is that I get SO darn hungry! Gonna crawl off and do cardio at 6:00 AM (what I can) then chest later on today.

The reason that I’m going crazy with the workouts this week is that I’m going back to the hospital on Friday for more surgery to clean up my excess skin problems and I’ll be out of the gym for a few weeks. I HAVE to behave myself once I get home and not stress the incisions in order to have the best healing and least obvious scars. So when I start posting about feeling fat and wanting to exercise, smack me, OK?

So I’m running around like this week, stocking up on food etc. for the helpless men in my life (and for myself, since eating clean is going to be the key to not gaining). And housecleaning and paying taxes and all that needs to be done before my little “vacation”.

How’s everyone else’s week going?
  • Hey, it's moi!

I hit the Dr. Phil forum yesterday AM, and meant to get back here but got busy. Imagine my surprise just now to see this week's thread on it's 3rd page when yeterday AM, I thought I'd leave it to someone else to start. All I'm gonna say is that the one thing we all have in common is that we are Ladies Who Lift.

Happy to see my little buddy, tiki and AAB losing! Good going, gals!

"Snaps" to Nola and JC! I wish LB2 was as good as LB1.

Hello! and Happy Tuesday to everybody!

My weekend was pretty darn good overall. The non-smoking was good too, but yesterday I had a really hard time for some reason, probably being back in my familiar environment. Worst times are after eating and first thing when I get up in the morning, so I'm still not totally detoxed. I said before this is like carb withdrawl - well, I'm changing that to worse than carb withdrawl. Best thing to distract is keeping busy I've found, and sleeping. This morning is the dentist for cleaning and check-up. ILENE! I said I was going to get my teeth bleached too, but read that one should not waste the money if you drink coffee or tea. You can get the same results with an OTC product like Crest white strips. And there's no way I'm giving up my coffee or green tea.

I wish I could be of cheerier mood, but I'm just a little blown away by what I've read on the previous pages of this week's thread. This is not the time for me to approach anything other than what I have to without my crutch.

Have a safe and healthy day!

dip
  • Hello - Hi Melissa, nice job on starting the thread.

Tiki - AWESOME - keep up what you've been doing & you'll continue to see results.

E - OK, I'm divorced but now remarried, and I empathize with your MIL situation. My 1st husband's MIL was very overbearing & I didn't know how to react. So, believe me, I understand. Cheap advice - focus on your relationship w/your husband and not your MIL because he's the one who really matters.

Meg - good luck with your surgery, I'll be thinking of you. When I had hip surgery I was out of commission for 16 weeks, and never gained a pound b/c I focused on healthy eating. I think you've been through surgery before so you know the deal.

Dip - congrats on the not smoking, you're doing great. Just fyi - I did have my teeth bleached at the dentist and the results are great & I do drink 2-3 cups of coffee per day & could never give that up either!! They stain a little, but nothing like before the bleaching. Then I touch-up with one overnight bleach each time I have my teeth cleaned & its awesome. I had tried an OTC product, but did get much better results at the dentist.

Hi Mel, Karen, JC, Babysteps, Ledom, Kjo, Ilene & Dip...and anyone else I may have missed!!!!!!!!

My two cents on the whole LWL/BFL forum issue. I love this forum because I find the people here to be very intelligent, informed and dedicated to health & fitness. I've learned about nutrition, clean eating and weight lifting and follow the plan I have developed religiously, even though it is tough, tough work. At first, I was a little intimidated by some people on this forum who seemed so "together", who seemed to have all the answers. But I quickly realized they have so much knowledge and they just want to share it with others since it has worked so well for them. I admire them and their success inspires me. BTW, I have a bum hip, couldn't do a LBWO if you paid me and can only do minimal cardio. I'm definitely NOT a bodybuilder model, I'm just the best I can be.

Also, on other diet forums, there was a pattern of "oh I blew it yesterday, I'm back on my strict diet today, but I don't exercise, etc...." I don't see that here, its more positive and I like that. Most people who lose weight & keep it off follow a sensible eating plan that they develop for themselves based on sound nutrition and whole foods. Its working for me & many others I've met here. So Ledom & babysteps & others, please feel welcome here and share your struggles with us. -Anne
  • Hi everyone

Well guess what happened when I wasn't looking -- I seemed to have dropped a pant's size. Yep, my pants-o-meter is reporting good news. Belts are looser; the backsides are baggier; and this morning I tried on a pair of size 10 khakis that I bought last fall. Perfect, although they're STILL too short in the rise, so it's a qualified perfect.

And what have I done to achieve this miraculous transformation? Lots of cardio; some lifting; pretty good nutrition. I'd be doing more lifting, were it not for this fool inauguration. But I'm down to 16 days and counting, and after that, it's back in the gym a minimum of 3 days a week.

Interestingly, when I do get to the weights, I find I can lift a little heavier than I was lifting before. This is showing me that plenty of rest between workouts is a darn good thing for this particular body. Even when I can rack up three sessions a week, I will only work each body part once a week.

And another little lesson learned last night: we had pasta for the first time in ages and ages and ages. We used to eat pasta 2 and 3 times a week, but since August, I rarely have it. Last night, I only had half a cup, but good golly Miss Molly, it sat there like a stone, and gave me ferocious heartburn. Proof positive that white flour and I no longer agree. Now, don't get me wrong: I think whole grains are one of nature's blessings, and many mornings, I have a slice of multigrain toast with my eggwhites. But I don't have much more than that. I still eat complex carbs .... potatos, beans, fruits, veggies .... but complex is the key for me.

Let's see .... JC, how was that wedding? In the last chapter, you were perfectly coiffed, manicured and attired. Did you have a good time?

Meg, good luck with that surgery. And that reminds me: did you drop to really low calorie levels, as you had thought about doing at the holidays, to get ready for this operation? How did that work? And boy, am I with you on the appetite and exercise. If I so much as walk by my weight bench, I'm immediately ravenous. (Is that how you spell ravenous?)

Dip, hang in there; hang in there; hang in there. The nicotine yearnings will come and go. And, as is true for so much of life, things get better with time. Your command of French is excellent. But where is the

Greetings to Tiki, Mel, BabySteps, Ledom, Kanola, Karen, Jiffy, Anne .... oh oh, I'm forgetting someone. Please forgive ...

Well, I'm at my desk; I better make it look like I'm working.

Hugs to you all. You know, I love this list.
  • Woo-hooo Robin! Don't 'cha just love when those pants get sneaky like that????

And congrats Dip for doing so well - I'm so proud of you!

Hang in there Tiki - I've been in a similar situation, and I know you can overcome it this time!

Well, I took the first step and got on the spinning bike today. This is my new tactic to try to get some fat burning going again. I got a video workout, that I watched over the weekend, so I knew how to set up the bike, and the type of "moves" they do. My gym doesn't have the VCR setup yet, so I just basically winged it today. Also, didn't want to overdo it and not be able to walk tomorrow! I'm such a wuss about trying new things, that I have to really ease into these things... and, the timing was great, because there was only one other person in there today, so I didn't feel like I was on display (I know, it's funny that I'm this way! LOL!)

Oh, yeah, almost forgot to toot my own horn - I finished my 4th BFL Challenge Sunday!!!! Hurray for me! One whole year of BFL! I'll be taking photos this coming weekend, and will share with you all. This is sort of my week off, which just means I'm taking things a bit easy, but I am planning to start again next Monday.

Hello to everyone else - sorry I can't be more specific, but I've really got to get to work!
    Cindy
  • Thumbs up Tik, Robin, and Cindy. You girls are on a roll.
  • Robin -- Congratulations on the pants!!!

And what a memory! Yep, I did want to lose a few more pounds before surgery and over the past few months, I think I've tried every trick in the book but with little success. Of course, it wasn't made much easier by me traveling for most of this month of March. I'm in awe of anyone who can manage to eat clean while on the road!

I've been able to reduce my BF a bit by virtue of building a little more muscle, so that's OK. But the lesson that I keep learning over and over again is that it's hard work just to maintain my weight loss. It's an active process that I have to engage in every day, through all the hundreds of little decisions that I make every day. It's not like -- oh, OK, I've lost the weight and it's gone forever and so that's over and done with. Nope, I have to work hard just to stay where I am. So, on the one hand, it would be cool to have lost a few more pounds. On the other, I'm grateful to be where I am. In any event, when I went for my pre-op appointment last week, my doc said that it's skin, not fat, hanging off my legs and he thinks he can get me a big improvement in how they look.

On a side note, we had a discussion about the problem of obesity in the US today. He said that, as a doctor, he sees patients looking to the medical establishment now for a "cure for obesity". He has patients who want to become thin through plastic surgery (not possible) or who want a pill that will make the pounds melt away without diet or exercise (not yet invented). He doesn't have any answers to this growing health crisis (nor do I), but he was lamenting the loss of a sense of personal responsibility in the patients who he sees. It was interesting to me to hear a medical professional talking about a problem that he thinks doesn't have a medical solution since it so often seems that doctors think that everything has a medical answer.

Just saw Cindy's post: congratulations on finishing your fourth challenge! This has to be a lifestyle for you now, after a year! We eagerly await pictures. How about the rest of the April 1 picture-taking crew? Still planning on it? It's perfect timing for me since I'll want to do pre-surgery photos.
  • Good Morning LWL .... I will try this again.... I keep getting side tracked, bye everything this morning, when I come back there’s new stuff to read.... geeeezzz.... but I love it, so lets keep it up...

It's sunny in Eastern Ontario and looking to be a very nice day! So to me this is an absolute DELIGHT!!!

Melissa ~~ thanks for starting the thread! And what an interesting thread it is. Great discussion girls...

Meg -- I did not do legs yesterday! I went shopping instead .. but I did walk alot even after shopping . I had promised to distribute some flyers for a g/f and my SIL who are owner and teacher at a Yoga centre in town. After the shopping I went distributing, in a very nice section of town it was actually fun to look at all the nice houses.... It was sunny and gorgeous! In fact I had promised the kids time for this task but they have so much homework at night that I decided to start during the day since it is suppose to rain tomorrow, I also work tomorrow.... So this morning I will be doing legs and then go for a walk... with this I just may get a couple of free Yoga classes! There is a method to my madness! Good luck Megster on your surgery, you KNOW I’ll be there with you... and YES dang it I will take pics... Although I’m not where I’d like to be... but that’s my own fault! It’s nice to see Meg, that you and your doc have such an open relationship, and I bet that discussion was quite interesting....

Tiki ~~ Krista ~~ Robin ~~ Cindy !!! Congrats on the steady and gradual weight loss, challenge, and pant-0-meter!!! I’m soooo happy for you guys.......

Tiki -- Meg is so right, and I do the same!!! "The good enough syndrome"... this is so MOI!!! For example a couple of weeks ago I was at an all time low 152#, and since then I have been creeping up, I was 157# yesterday ... Lets try to OVERCOME this mentality, I'm willing to try if you are? MEG for me that was an "ah, ha!!!!!!" moment for sure, thanks for that...

Jiffy -- If you're still keeping away from the pretzels to you!!!! Refresh my memory what has "sugar alcohols"?

Dip – I know you can do it!! IF you fall off, dust yourself and get back on the wagon! Sleep all you want, cause the rest of the summer you’ll be at the boat smoke free, partying and happy that you did it!!

Anne – Thank you for that post, I’m really happy you feel as welcome here as I have always felt...

Helloooooo and to everyone else... I MUST go do legs .... Back later....
  • ahaha I leave for a while you guys post so much it would take me a YEAR to catch up.

After a month so busy I am STILL tired (and put on a couple lbs), Im back, and now Im eating on plan, and Ive got a new recipie

Roasted veggies:
    cut up some potatoes (sweet or white), carrots, onions and other veggies of your choice and put them in a teflon baking pan. Add around 1 inch of fluid (i use beef stock and soy) in the bottom of the pan. Bake lightly covered in foil at 225C (erm.. 375F?) until the potatoes are almost cooked, stirring a couple times to distribute the flavor of the stock. Remove the foil and cook until veggies are slightly crisp on the tops, adding more stock if you like. This should leave a bit of "gravy" at the bottom of the pan Maybe its more of a fall recipie than spring, but Im enjoying it regardless of the weather Great alternative with chicken when you're tired of baked potatoes or rice.

Thanks to Ilene and BFLCAT for checking up on me when I was MIA. Ilene, would you believe that right after we talked, I got some good news? We're probably getting a place of our own in june!

Tidey
  • Tidey!

We missed you!

(and your recipes )

Great to have you back again!
  • 'POO YOU'RE BACK!!! (...see, I don't just dance for newbies! )

So happy to hear of your new place!
  • LOOK! LOOK! It's Tidey! Hey, girl! I was asking about you toooo! Just happy to see you back.

Congrats to all you losers and Pantsometer Queen Robin, and Cindy the BFL Challenge Queen! Oh, how I wish your successes would inspire me this week, but I am sooooo- not me, going through this nicotine withdrawl. Yesterday I had no appetite and today I want to eat everything in sight.

Hi Anne - Just got back from the dentitst, and I didn't see your post til now about the bleaching. Now, I am perturbed at the hygienist, who just gave me a 45 minutes cleaning "because I quit smoking" versus the usual 15 minute hurry-up job. How's that for prejudice? Anyway, I'm going to wait for the bleach job until I'm satisfied that I've kicked the habit. BTW, I really liked what you said about LWL, and that pretty much sums it up for me too.

Meg - Interesting conversation with your doctor. DH went on a rant this weekend after hearing a cortisol supplement commercial that states, "it's not your fault you're fat," on the same subject - personal responsibility and accountability. I found it odd coming from him since I was the one who had to take responsibility for both of us. I just kept my mouth shut other than agreeing with his point.

Hey Ilene - I'm about ready to take Karen's advice once and for all and chuck the scale, but so afraid I'll get into "the good enough" mode. The daily weighs keep me going, for the most part, but then I get discouraged when I have a week wth no loss. (I just let out a scream, did you hear it?)

OK, I need to go take a nap or something because sitting here makes me want to you know what. If I'm scarce this week, it's because I'm trying to avoid the things I do when I used to

Later, gators!

dip
  • Dip, sweetie-- give yourself a little break, OK? I know how tough and no-excuses you are with yourself. But you have a lot going on in your life right now with quitting smoking, so how about forgetting the scale for a bit? Your body's going through withdrawal from a real, honest-to-goodness addiction and is going to be reacting in unpredictable ways. I suspect the scale's going to be meaningless in the short-term for you.

I'm not suggesting that you do anything differently food- or exercise-wise; just don't worry what the scale says until the dust settles.
  • Well there she is!!!
    Our Miss Tidey is in the hooowwwsssee...

Dip - hang in there - you'll do fine, just take it one day at a time. Like I said, I have never been a smoker but my ex husband was and the couple times he tried to quit (one time he tried switching to CIGARS...ugh...must have been the only person in the WORLD who inhaled cigar smoke...) it was VERY hard for him. Here in California, there has been a really huge anti-smoking campaign, financed by a tobacco tax. The commercials are just chilling - I like the ones that depict the Tobacco Company Executives plotting on how to get kids hooked on cigs...just very effective advertising. It seems to me that you don't see kids hanging around as much these days puffing away, when I was in school, smoking was THE COOL THING TO DO. Fortunately I was a total nerd, so it didn't effect me like it did my older sister, who started smoking at 12 (!!) and still smokes today.

On the Crest WhiteStrips - coincidentally I just went through a 3 week cycle of them on my dentist's recommendation (if you can, get the "Professional" WhiteStrips that the dentists sell over the ones at the store - they cost a bit more but they're stronger). Now, you know I don't smoke or drink coffee, but my teeth are NOTICEABLY whiter! Jim is fixing to buy some too based on my results. BTW the 'professional' whitestrips come with a tube of whitening toothpaste and one of those SpinBrushes that I've been wanting to try out.

I hear ya guys on the "Good Enough" syndrome (okay NOW you've done it...I have that Cyndi Lauper song in my head now...remember "Goonies R Good Enuf"? ). I tend to call it the Screw It Syndrome, as in "screw it...I look great NOW so I can have (fill in the blank with your choice of bad food) because ONE TIME WON'T HURT". Well...one time turns into one day turns into one week, and so on and so forth...gakkk. What I try and do now is say that, yup, I won't ALWAYS be perfect. There ARE foods out there that I enjoy eating and like to have every so often. But just because some all-day meeting at work gets out and they pile all the leftover goodies in the office kitchen, doesn't mean I have to be The Human Garbage Disposal and gobble up as much as I can "because it's there". Planning...planning...planning is the keyword. A PLANNED treat is controllable - it's those UNPLANNED BLTs (Bites/licks/tastes) that grab ya in the boo-boo (as Jim would say). One of the things I tell myself is "there will still be (fill in name of yummy tempting food) around a few days from now/months from now. All the food places and stores are NOT going to go out of business overnight...you can WAIT". KWIM??

Okay - I have a meeting to go to in a few minutes and there will most likely be FOOD there...wish me luck