Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2021, 09:46 AM   #136  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

I actually turned the heat on this morning as the temperature is in the 40s. I have to drive 3 1/2 hours up to Vermont to fetch DS who has been there a week; I'll spend the night then come home tomorrow. In a wierd weather twist, its going to be colder here than in Vermont. I'm hoping the fact that its cold and rainy will deter some people from driving this weekend; its kind of a nightmare weekend to drive. I'm already moving slowly this morning but I figured I would let myself sleep in until I woke up.
yesterday was an exhausting day of last minute training. I spent the day with a very perky 22 year old; it was fun to share notes on the agency and hear her experiences. She is working a second job babysitting and going to school online for a Masters as well. I came home and reminded DD how lucky she is that she will graduate undergrad without loans, due to choosing a cheaper school and having grandparents that set up and funded a college account.
I need to get going- have a great weekend everyone!
Old 05-29-2021, 11:10 AM   #137  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I had an up-close and personal encounter with a fawn yesterday. Reason number 2,837 for taking my walk.
https://www.facebook.com/joyweesemol...02799346713572

Exercise +55, 1285/1400 minutes for May
Old 05-29-2021, 11:51 AM   #138  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Happy Saturday!

So grateful to be sitting on my couch with a cup of coffee. Like curleyjax i let myself sleep until I woke. I will start some laundry and then head up to Tahoe. I know everyone and their mother will be there this weekend but we never go to the crowded places and so few people are willing to hike where I do, it will be just another day. We are also perfectly situated so that we can avoid the major interstate and take a beautiful mountain highway home on which there is rarely any traffic.

I hope to do two very long hikes. Yesterday at the gym I did an hour at the climbmill and a half an hour on the treadmill at an incline.

Food was OP. I have two days at ticker. I have a goal of staying there six days. I haven't done that since October. I want all food that I eat to be nutritionally important since i can eat so little of it. That will be my focus for this weekend.

Gardenerjoy: Yes, the walks allow me to see nature at its finest.
BBE; I am almost never rational enough to quit when I am too tired. I am enjoying my homegrown, home cracked roasted pecans as we speak.Nothing better.
Old 05-30-2021, 06:45 AM   #139  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Sunday - A Columbia River dike breaks, obliterating Vanport, Oregon (1948)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Tub faucet effort was suspended for the day when a trip to Home Depot became necessary to replace my elderly pipe cutting tool. Took the opportunity to drive with DW for an expedition. We're so out of circulation that we think going to Home Depot together is a date. She won because I could pick up the 50 pound bag of sand that she wanted. She agreed to accompany me to the nearby Target to buy some sleep bottoms ("Dorm Pants" to you younger folk). The patterns available were beyond what I would be willing to be seen stepping onto my front porch to pick up my newspaper. (Later clicked a button on line for delivery by Tuesday.) She, however, realized that she needed new sleepwear. And bought herself two items - that she tried on over her jeans since the changing rooms were closed for our safety. They also fit when she tried them on at home.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi, including all the junk foods offered near the checkout lines at Target. I remind myself that plastic wrapped pastries sold at Target were probably baked last month. Dinner was dahl again, with more of the baguette. Eaten in sub 60 degree F weather indoors. The gardener is ecstatic for the 2+ inches of rain that was so desperately needed.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Terrific pictures of a fawn - and its dubious mother.

maryann - Hope you can avoid those crowds to have a relaxed long weekend. Thanks for the reminder to make all foods nutritionally important when eating little of it.

curlyjax - Waving back toward Vermont where I hope you arrived safely. Love the notion of going to Vermont to get warm.

Readers -
Quote:
Success Skill 5 Get Moving

Exercise is important in losing weight and keeping it off for these reasons: . . .

It helps maintain your metabolism. Each pound of muscle in your body burns about 35 calories a day as it breaks down and builds up proteins. However, roughly 90 percent of adults are so sedentary that they lose about 5 pounds of muscle mass every decade. Each 5 pounds of lost muscle mass slows total calorie burning (called basal metabolic rate) by about 5 percent.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 69.
Old 05-30-2021, 10:07 AM   #140  
Green Tomatoes

My Sunday project is normally to plan the week. That's already done, mostly because my new project to document my family's California Trip, 50 years ago, day-by-day will begin on Thursday this week. So, much of my time will be devoted to that. I got a long email from my brother answering my question "What do you remember?" with some nice gems that weren't in the memories that I summoned.

A good project is also a good time to eat like it isn't a form of entertainment. Pretty much a repeat of what I ate yesterday will do just fine.

Exercise +50, 1335/1400 minutes for May
Old 05-30-2021, 11:22 AM   #141  

Good morning, Coaches.

Yesterday was OP.

I did a bike loop up near our home up in Truckee and was rewarded with some beautiful views. I did the loop twice which was a big deal because I usually walk parts after just one loop. I am getting stronger.

My hope was to hike up to Squaw Valley High camp. Theoretically you can take the tram down. That might not be happening yet with Covid. The alternative plan is to bike to downtown Truckee with DH. Both are nice choices.

Wave.
Old 05-30-2021, 12:13 PM   #142  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

The Bill Williams hike that I did yesterday was great. The only drawback is that it was a long drive to hike 7 1/2 miles. It was about 2 1/2 hours each way, but I did listen to the book that I wanted to listen to. The hike itself is beautiful and mostly in the trees. It starts at 6896 feet and elevation gain is 2367. I was a little concerned that the altitude would bother me since I had just driven up before the hike, but it was fine. Of course I could feel it, but it was no problem. I got to know one woman on the way up (who I had actually visited with on Bell Pass a few days before) and another woman on the way down. Both really nice gals who are avid hikers. I did learn that the crazy gal that rode with me a couple of weeks before was eliminated from the group. I hadn't said anything to the leader, so it wasn't because of me. I guess enough of the others had bad experiences with her. It is supposed to be fun after all.

The company dh works for split in two about 4 years ago and they have kind of changed what they do since then. Yesterday he had a meeting with the previous partner, who still has a company and in fact has moved here from CA. Anyway, dh has a new job beginning as soon as he is finished with this one. He is very happy about it. His current commute is about 2 miles and the new commute will be about 6 miles. His current employer will be furious, but dh isn't going to tell him until he is out of there. He wasn't home yet yesterday when I got home from my hike, so I figured it was going well. He has been using the elliptical at the office for his exercise, so yesterday he went for a five mile walk after walking Otis a couple of miles. I think he may add a bit of weekend hiking or he'll need to find a gym or something.

Maryann It sounds like you've got some good options for exercise this weekend. I'm doing well with exercise, but need to tighten the eating as usual.

GardenerJoy I bet that is fun talking about the Disneyland trip with your brother. There were 4 of us and we split up 2 and 2. I bet our experiences were much different. I don't have any photos though. I loved the photos of the fawn..

Bill Good luck with the rest of your plumbing project. We would be ecstatic with 2 inches of rain here too. That's about a third of what we get in a decent year.

Curlyjax Wow what a swing in the weather for you. From the 90's to the 40's is quite a change. It sure is great that your children won't have student loans. My parents paid my tuition and books even though I was in my 30's. We did pay for my graduate school though. I can't imagine loans like some students have these days.

Penny I hope you're having fun at the beach. My friend is in Portland and sent beautiful photos of the sunrise this morning on the Columbia river. No transition to retirement yet . . hopefully dh will like the new job and then retire when he's tired of working, not just cause he can't stand being there anymore.
Old 05-31-2021, 06:13 AM   #143  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - Memorial Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies - The clawfoot tub faucet with shower is fully installed. CREDIT moi for sticking with the task despite the repeated desire to just burn the house down. So happy to have that behind me. I'm humbled to face the reality that the muscles and dexterity required for that level of plumbing might be just at the edge of my abilities. Ouch!

DS and DIL came over for a Memorial Day pizza served in our dining room. It's cold and rainy outside. Was a lively visit. They'd just been to the Boston Museum of Fine Arts and we compared opinions about the Basquiat exhibit and the Women Take the Floor exhibit. Neither of us had been able to get tickets to the Monet exhibit - it's wildly popular. Need to make reservation now for months in the future.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks. Pizza for dinner was planned although pushing the calories one needs to sustain life. We had blueberries for dessert - can't go wrong there.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Neat that your brother has additional memories. Yay for not using eating for entertainment.

maryann - Yay for the demonstration that you are getting stronger.

Karen (karenrn) - Up over 9000 feet is really up there. Kudos for being enough in shape to handle it.

Readers -
Quote:
Success Skill 5 Get Moving

This metabolic slowdown alone can be responsible for a 15-pounb weight gain for each decade of life. Dieting without exercise can further slow metabolism. Up to 25 percent of your weight loss may come from muscle instead of fat. You don't want that to happen. Exercise helps reverse this trend, maintaining your muscle mass and, consequently, your metabolism as you lose weight.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 69.
Old 05-31-2021, 10:05 AM   #144  
Green Tomatoes

My brother is coming over today for help with fancier cameras than he's used to. We've given him some of our older gear and he may buy more. Later this year, he's headed for an adventure of a lifetime in Alaska. I feel clever to have arranged the meeting at 1:30pm so there will be no expectation of sharing food. Instead, I'll stick to my usual, boring, healthy routine. With, perhaps, an adult beverage added as a nod to the holiday.

Exercise +40, 1375/1400 minutes for May
Old 05-31-2021, 12:19 PM   #145  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday, but weight is still up a bit. I was planning to hike Bell Pass with my backpack, but Hiking Suzanne (who I haven't seen for ages) sent a text about hiking Tom's Thumb, so I did that with her and another gal. Not quite as long and I didn't carry the backpack, but it's a good strenuous hike. I came home and took Otis for a walk and now he's snoozing behind the chair here in the office. Today I'm going to try out my new air fryer that I'm sure I didn't need. I'm going to make a pork tenderloin and roasted asparagus. I'll let you know how it turns out.

GardenerJoy An Alaska Adventure sounds great. I'll put that on my bucket list for sure.

Bill Congratulations on completing the plumbing job. Just imagine how much money you probably saved on that one. I commend you for persevering and getting the job completed.

Waving to the others and moving on to my journal page for the day. I think it's helping me be a little more diligent with some chores.
Old 05-31-2021, 12:39 PM   #146  

Good Morning, Coaches.

I was up early with DH. We grabbed coffee and breakfast sandwiches and sat on a rock on the Truckee River. We had it all to ourselves. DH had to head down the mountain early to babysit four wells that have to run non stop for the water sale.

Karen: You and I did a similar hike. I went up from Squaw valley to High Camp. It is about a 2,00 foot elevation gain to 8200 ft. The difference is I get to ride the tram down for free. Saves the knees. I realized how much work I need to do to get in shape for Machu Pichu. I am not even half way there. Today I think I will cross train with the bike today just to improve my wind but save my feet.
BBE: Credit for that plumbing. So impressive.
gardenerjoy: Good job avoiding social overeating.

Wave to all.
Old 05-31-2021, 03:43 PM   #147  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Hello, hello!

The beach weekend was nice. I got to hang out with my lifelong friend, eat out, walk the beach, and get one of my books finished.

And now my 10yo is needing attention. I'll try for an earlier check-in tomorrow.
Old 06-01-2021, 05:18 AM   #148  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Discussion continues on the June 2021 Thread

Please join us as this discussion continues on:

Beck Diet For Life/Solution – June 2021 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:

List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 06-01-2021 at 05:28 AM.
Closed Thread