Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 06:53 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

The handyman came and the cupboards have been moved. I will go looking for a fridge this week- I sure hope I can find one that is reasonably priced, there is still a shortage. If not, there will be a big ugly spot in my kitchen for no reason, but the whole house is a mess anyhow
I got my weights in yesterday and was 90% OP so yay. I'm feeling back in the zone.
I need to run because i'm going into my agency today. It's hard giving up that extra hour of sleeping in, but it will be worth it for a different job, and it is nice to see people.
Gardenerjoy-i'm not surprised the weight has climbed up a bit, I put a lot of weight on during stressful times myself. Yay for the catheter coming out, those are not comfortable.
Bill-thanks for that link of vaccine holders, i'll order one too. I don't relish the thought of being on camera during church but the technology is definitely helpful.
Wave to everyone else off doing fun stuff!
Old 05-04-2021, 09:28 AM   #17  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I guess I didn't post yesterday. I sat down to do it and then got distracted. Food has been on plan the last couple of days. Weight remains in the 140's (just barely). I hiked Bell Pass with my 23 pound backpack yesterday. I listened to a book and enjoyed it. Today I will be packing for my trip to the Grand Canyon. Since we're car camping I can take what I want and it will be cold at night. I also need to clean the interior of the car and run a couple of errands.

Curlyjax Good luck finding a fridge that you like for a decent price.
Bill Thanks for the vaccination card sleeve suggestion. I put it in my cart. Your dinner sounds good, I would probably serve myself too much also.
GardenerJoy It is so easy for weight to creep up. As much as I don't like getting on the scale daily, I am doing that for the most part. I do think it helps. With additional stress, change of routine and all the rest sometimes it seems impossible to stay the course.

Well I'd better get moving. Have a good day.
Old 05-04-2021, 01:40 PM   #18  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

DH's catheter is out! He's already feeling more human again. I think if it weren't raining, I'd get him out for a walk. I guess we'll do that tomorrow when it's supposed to be dry.

Exercise +55, 140/1400 minutes for May
Old 05-05-2021, 05:35 AM   #19  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday - Cinco De Mayo (since 1862, Puebla, Mexico)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Boring trip to the supermarket amidst masks and social distancing. A year ago, going to the supermarket didn't warrant mention as boring - perhaps it was sub-boring. Sometimes I feel guilty that, because I always check the use-by dates, I get the freshest package of lettuce because that means that someone who doesn't check gets the package that's less fresh. Not expired, just less fresh. Then again, if everybody checked, perhaps I'd be the one stuck with the less fresh package.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was salmon grilled on the patio along with brown rice, kale, and green salad. The green salad was graced with slices of yellow bell pepper - because DW saw it on sale and always thinks that a salad does well with more color. I do like the taste of raw yellow bell pepper. So sweet that it could be dessert. The salmon is supposedly sustainable. I hope so. It sure is good. With the bonus of being called a super-food for its healthy oils.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for life without a catheter. You win your nursing strips for this round.

Karen (karenrn) - Car camping is so easy after a few nights out in a backpacked tent. I'm dreaming of the Grand Canyon.

curlyjax - Ouch for the difficulty of buying a fridge even with money in hand. The shock waves of COVID will be passing by for years. Glad that your handyman was successful.

Readers -
Quote:
Success Skill 4 Give Yourself Credit

Yes, You Do Deserve Credit

I asked Janet if she had expected her 7-year-old son to read flawlessly in first grade. I had her reflect on what would have happened to his motivation if he had negated his efforts every time he read a page well and criticized himself every time he stumbled.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 67.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:04 AM   #20  

Productive day at work which always gives me energy. I'm going in again today, and spending some time in the afternoon shadowing someone else. While this will be interesting, it means I can't have any afternoon coffee because I can't rely on using the restroom when I need to. This is a real bummer today as I did not sleep well and already feel tired but ah well. Hopefully i'll get out a little early so I can buy some straps to tie down the kayak that I hope to buy this weekend.
Food was 60% OP yesterday with some extra unplanned snacks. I did get a walk in after work anyhow.
Gardenerjoy- glad the catheter is out indeed.
Karen-it's nice to be able to take what you want on a trip. I am not a light packer, it always causes me a lot of angst when I can't take extras of this and that.
Bill-what a great dinner. I have been bringing a large slab of sweet pepper as a snack (paired with hummus) it is indeed quite sweet.
Old 05-05-2021, 09:52 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 173/180/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

I don't like missing so many days posting but life is overfull. That is good. It means i am in the mainstream.

I developed an additional physical issue of tremors but the bleeding has stopped after the week. So the two Drs together have come up with a plan and I felt better yesterday. The two groups of in person kids joined yesterday and I had an actual class of 22 for first period. It was a nice size to have a some much missed camaraderie. I would be happy with the set up. I am still streaming so it is not perfect but I would be grateful for no more changes.

Food is OP. Weight is at ticker which is fine because I have had some medication which could change that.
Thanks for the tips about training, Karen and the tips about the vaccine sleeve, BBE.

Good for you for pursuing the kayak, Curleyjax. That might have to be a summer purchase for me.
Gardenerjoy: thanks for the reminder of the importance of weighin. I do it twice a day per Greger and it really keeps me humble.
Old 05-05-2021, 11:16 AM   #22  
Green Tomatoes

We did manage a short walk yesterday -- even though it was raining a little. DH is also watching less TV and working more on projects. I'm happy to see that because it usually makes him happier.

Weighing daily is helping me be more attentive to the choices that I'm making during the day. For two days in a row, the scale registered a 0.05 kgs loss. The smallest unit that the scale measures. I would enjoy it if that continued in a nice straight line for days on end. It won't. So, I thought I'd state my enjoyment now.

Exercise +55, 195/1400 minutes for May
Old 05-05-2021, 07:23 PM   #23  

I’m at the Grand Canyon and we have service, but I’m typing on my phone. We will have to shorten our hike and only go half way down and across on the Tonto trail tomorrow because it’s supposed to be 105 at the bottom. It gets hotter as you get lower. We hiked in the full sun this afternoon for a couple hours and it was hot enough in the high 70’s. Food is on plan. We may go out for Mexican tomorrow.
Old 05-06-2021, 05:39 AM   #24  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday - National Nurses Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies - It wasn't our day with the DGD - for complex reasons that would be well understood by any mother, we swapped Wednesday for Friday this week. Felt awkward all day since Wednesday is DGD day and we were doing our own thing. I got to leisurely prepare for classes today instead of feeling rushed to get it all done in time. One would think that getting homework done would be easy without the distraction of friends wanting to go out to party. But life gets full even without friends in the hallway and parties in the next dorm.

The sad news is that a friend called to say that his (92-year-old) wife had died the night before. Ouch. Last time that we were together, she was still out walking and in reasonable health. We'd not seen the signs of the turn that took her down. Painful to see. He has a DS, DIL, and two grands living nearby so he doesn't have to face this totally alone. She was the social side of them so it will be a challenge to keep up with him now that she's gone. This keeps happening.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was prepared early so that we could separately get to our computers for a Zoom presentation. The good news about a Zoom presentation is that I can do email and whatever during the boring parts. That's hard to do when visibly sitting in an audience. I did get reminded that Alan Shepard's first launch was delayed a few months and Yuri Gagarin's launch then lifted off before his. Alan Shepard then became the first American in space and later walked on the moon during Apollo 14 (one of only twelve folks to do that).

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Congrats on the joy of a micro-loss on the scale. Neat that you can be grateful for a short walk with your DH.

maryann - Yay for a class of 22 real-life students - a hint of normal.

Karen (karenrn) - Just had to go read about the Tonto Trail at the Grand Canyon. What fun! So hard to remember that it gets hotter as you go down - but 105 degrees F is too much like noon back in Arizona.

curlyjax - A productive day at work is just the best. Ouch for facing a time without reliable sight of a restroom.

Readers -
Quote:

Janet then realized that the perfectionist standards she held for herself were counterproductive, and she began to feel good about her small daily accomplishments.

Old 05-06-2021, 08:38 AM   #25  

I had an interesting day yesterday shadowing a colleague. I broke down and had some hot chocolate figuring that had less caffeine but would still be a pick me up, and it all worked out fine without needing a bathroom desperately. I was exhausted after work though and didn't get anything productive done. Food was 50% OP because I also had a muffin from Dunkin because I was tired, super hungry and it was a gloomy rainy day, the trifecta! We've been getting a lot of rain, the gardeners should be happy!
Today my goal is to get my weights in and possibly do the strap errand after work. It's wonderful to see the sun out.
Karen- fun to get a posting from the Grand Canyon! I didn't know that about the heat, interesting.
Maryann-glad you're feeling better and the docs are working things out.
Gardenerjoy-yay for DH being able to work on projects again, a good sign indeed.
Bill-ouch for the reality of friends passing away more often the older we get. 92 is a great age to make it to, as long as its a healthy 92.
Old 05-06-2021, 10:28 AM   #26  
Green Tomatoes

We had one of our normal-length walks yesterday. I hoped that we were going to discover that DH was more recovered than it seemed. The catheter made it feel like he wasn't making much progress because the usual recovery milestones didn't happen very quickly. Now, they're happening and the milestones are larger than expected.

Exercise +45, 240/1400 minutes for May
Old 05-06-2021, 07:38 PM   #27  

We did our plan to hike today and it ended up being 15 miles and pretty tough. Going down south south Kaibab is not too bad, across the Tonto was warm but not too bad, and coming up Bright Angel with the sun on us was yuck. We are both tough old broad’s though and so no whining we both knew we could do it and we just took breaks when there was a little shade here and there. We both decided though that we don’t need to do long hikes in the Grand Canyon when we know the temperature at Phantom Ranch is 90 or above.

Bill I’m sorry to hear about your friend’s wife; it is tough. I’m glad he has family nearby.

I’m afraid I’m too tired to complete personals, especially on my phone. I’m keeping up with your posts though.
Old 05-07-2021, 05:23 AM   #28  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday - Space Day (John Glenn expanded to International in 2001)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was the other two salmon steaks grilled a few days ago - they are just as good reheated. A large, square, uncut loaf of bread with a firm crust was added. No justification. Except that we love all varieties of Iggy's Breads. I had one slice; DW had a half slice. I think it unnatural to eat only half a slice of bread even though it's a big, square loaf. It's pretty clear to me that bread needs to be an irregular treat in this house.

Excitement was my last two classes for the semester. We reached the denouement of Absalom, Absalom! which resolves the story and everything about that period in the South. And I learned the word 'denouement' : "the final part of a play, movie, or narrative in which the strands of the plot are drawn together and matters are explained or resolved." That led to exploring diagrams of the dramatic structure of novels - a new thought for me. This won't be new stuff to Joy (gardenerjoy) but I found it exciting. I've wasted my life to this point just reading and enjoying. Now, I can deconstruct and critique. Perhaps become the bore who never gets invited back, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for milestones happening - especially since that includes walks.

Karen (karenrn) - Such fun that I can see the trails you're taking on the many maps of the Grand Canyon. Love the thought, "both tough old broads though and so no whining."

curlyjax - Congrats for making it through the day following another person. Ouch for the seduction of Dunkin' - I'm better off if I don't 'accidentally' go in one of their shops.

Readers -
Quote:

If you have trouble giving yourself credit, create the following Response Card:
Code:
I really do deserve credit for breaking old habits,
and it is essential for building my confidence. Once
my confidence grows, everything will become so much
easier.
Old 05-07-2021, 08:56 AM   #29  

I went for a late walk with a friend yesterday which was fun.I got to work from home, went out for an errand and ended up with another treat, ack. It did fill me up and I waited to eat dinner until I was hungry at least.
I took today off as DS comes home from college tomorrow,l and its the last full day and night I will have to myself until September. I've enjoyed being on my own but I'm ready to have company again. I'm going refrig shopping today, and still need to buy straps for a kayak that I hope to get this weekend. I've been watching various kayak videos and definitely need to practice getting out of the kayak by myself once I get it. Thank goodness for youtube again!
Gardenerjoy-that's great that DH is taking regular walks, definitely helps with the healing process.
Karen-you are tough old broads, that is awesome! I can't imagine how people do this in the summer heat.
Bill-I would find it impossible to eat a half slice of Iggy's bread, its so good. Very cool to be learning about novel structure.
Wave to Penny and Maryann.
Better get up and get going, lots to do!
Old 05-07-2021, 10:08 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 173/180/ 165

Height: 5'6

Phone check in.

Food has been OP. Lots of tweaks including water preloading. I now put the pear balsamic vinegar in a 16 oz H20 bottler and drink before my hummus at break time. I have decided to skip teacher appreciation day tritip. I’ll stick to my third serving of legume which is red rice and beans. I am one pound under ticker. I haven’t been 165 or under for four consecutive days since October. It is my new mini goal.

Exercise has not happened. Too much going on this week. It will be my priority the next three days along with yard work.

Wave to Grand Canyon and all points East.
Closed Thread