Beck Diet For Life/Solution – August 2020 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

You're on Page 9 of 13
Go to
  • Quick wave everyone. DD just came in to ask if I would help her pack; she's moving back to her apt today. I told her I have an hour and then I have to work! Of course she has been saying all along she wouldn't need my help
    Onebyone- love the fish chimes. So sorry about your phone! We all keep so much info in there now.
    Bill- I was really hoping to go to the King Tut exhibit that was supposed to come this summer/now fall. I'm hoping they will reschedule.
    Karen- sorry about your MIL, goodness.
    DD is calling me again More tomorrow!
  • Is anyone else finding 3FC a bit odd today? Someone in the monthly weight loss thread couldn't edit a previous post. My Quick Reply window is unusually short and I can't bold things. WeirdI got on the scale this morning to a see one tick down. Yesterday was an odd eating day where plans were late and, then, changed. I ate more often than usual but managed to keep the snacking very light (honey dew melon FTW) and got my hoped-for confirmation of a job well done.

Exercise +35, 965/1400 minutes for August

Penny: Thanks for the reminder about post-event stress eating. I'm very familiar with that. I didn't sleep well last night, largely due to ruminating over unsettling news. A young friend of mine had a baby early this week -- I didn't know she was pregnant. You can hide a lot during a six-month pandemic! She's still a semester from graduating from college and I'm haven't heard if the father is in the picture. A weird blend of happy (the baby picture is precious!) and concerned. All of which I could totally eat over, but I won't.

BillBlueEyes: The Missouri Botanical Garden sent out a flyer for donors offering virtual tours of behind-the-scenes locations. We've been donors for long enough that we've been to all of those places in real life, so I'm not excited.
  • I can't edit previous posts, either, or I'd go back and add a period and line break after "Weird"....
  • I'm having the same problems.

I've reported it to the system admin.
  • Good morning coaches,

In light of your comments, I'll be more careful about my typing. Sometimes I don't even reread my message though, as I'm sure you all can tell.

Food was off plan yesterday afternoon while I stressed over whether I should go to Washington or not. I ended up deciding to go (fly) and I'm glad I'll be going. Bil called last evening to report symptoms mil is having and it sounds like left sided neglect, as in she has had a stroke. I looked at Dr. Google and Dr. You Tube to learn a little more. I was never a neuro nurse. Her motor skills seem to be fine, so we'll see. It would have been too late for any specific treatment and she is likely too old, so he'll get her to the doctor today. I'm flying up to Portland on Tuesday and my brother will pick me up. I'll stay the night with him in Longview and then have the use of their extra car. Tentatively I'll return home on 9/10, but I'm going to take extra clothes for cooler weather in case things change and I need to stay longer.

Mil's home is not comfortable as it is quite small, television only in the kitchen, and no bed except hers. The other two bedrooms are small, but I will get a blow up mattress or something. I don't intend to spend the whole time with her unless she takes a bad turn. Bil will only be gone 5 days. After that I may visit my best friend in Tacoma and then on to my brothers for a few more days. In any event it's a good reason to get out of the heat. I'll wear a good mask on the plane and have plenty of hand sanitizer and Clorox wipes with me.

What I am really looking forward to is taking long walks in her hilly town with the temps in the mid 50's to mid 70's.

I just shopped on Wednesday and bought lots of produce. Too much for dh to eat or even consider fixing. We will be eating lots of produce in the next few days. I had scrambled eggs full of peppers, onions, mushrooms and spinach this morning. I asked if he wants me to fix food for him before I go and he says not to worry about it. I hope he stays with that decision.

This is long enough already, so personals tomorrow.
  • Not the best of days
    Coaches

Spent the day dealing with tummy issues. Ugh.
    I finally feel better. I made a chicken flavored ramen soup just now (midnight) and ate that up not knowing if this is a good or a bad idea. Time will tell.

I see my Dr Monday morning for a BP check. With all the intestinal weirdness my weight went up today (276.6). I just hope to be at or under 275 for the Monday appointment. I also hope for an improved bp reading or he will be strongly suggesting I go to the bp clinic at the hospital which I am really trying to avoid.

Anyway. Today is gone.

I did manage to complete and email crude drawings for an urn for a Japanese Bobtail Cat. The front and back views look good. Side view is problematic. By the time I make the thing I'll have a better understanding of how the facial features and the lines of the head go. I'm just waiting now for client comments and whether she wants to go forward still. I always leave the door open for people to back out.

Not much else going on. Next week is busy every day. My sister in Key West is on my mind as it seems there are two hurricanes possibly on track to go into the gulf and make landfall the same day. One model shows one of them crossing the Keys. I know she and her husband and the 3 cats won't leave. They didn't leave when Irma hit.

"Not since the depression in 1933 has this happened," a weather forecaster said.

Yeah. But its 2020. Everything is up for grabs and
    anything can happen.

Anyway. I go to bed, back on track, and planning a good day tomorrow and wishing everyone here.the same.
  • Saturday - St Columba reports seeing monster in Loch Ness (565, Scotland)
    Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Lunch was a tomato sandwich - from a fat red tomato. Just the best. Dinner on the patio was gazpacho. That means that both lunch and dinner came from our garden.

Excitement was a trip to the library to pick up And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie. It'll be my first Agatha Christie - who died some 44 years ago after publishing some sixty-six detective novels and fourteen short story collections. Somewhere in the advice about maintaining sanity during COVID-19 isolation, this was suggested. I've already read half; it's hard to put down. I discovered that I can pick up a book from the library that's ready without an appointment. An appointment means that the librarians have collected the whole order and checked them out and put them in a bag with my name. Without an appointment, the librarian has to use my card to find out what books I've ordered, get them from the 'hold shelf', and then check them out. So all an appointment does is allow the librarian to do their work before arrival. There are two waiting lines. When I got there, there were only a couple of folks in each line; waiting wasn't an issue at all.

​​​​​​​
    onebyone - Clear Beck thinking, "Anyway. Today is gone." Kudos. Those hurricanes headed toward Florida do seem worrisome.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Honeydew melon is a great snack. The site issues continue; now I suspect it'll be after the weekend before an update can be made.

maryann - Waving again. Hope you're well despite all the dire news about California in our papers.

Karen (karenrn) - You're a jewel for planning to fly to Washington State to help your MIL for five days. Sounds like one FAT omlet you're panning.

curlyjax - Congrats for helping your DD despite her assurance that she didn't need it. I, too, really wanted to see that King Tut exhibit. I have no idea about the rescheduling this fall.

Readers -
    Quote:
    chapter 2 Experience the Difference

Stage 4

By the time you enter this stage, you will have fully strengthened your resistance muscle. You will be able to quickly get back on track whenever you make a mistake. You will no longer fear hunger or cravings.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 30.
  • I wondered about the smaller "quick reply" box, now I know the reason why.
    I forgot to say yesterday, the replacement for the oil tank will be close to 3000.00, which is actually better than I thought- I was thinking more like 5. That includes taking out the old one, disposing of it, giving me back the oil in it, and putting in the new one. Plus the cost of the oil tank itself. So I'm fine with that. The guy was super quick when I said I don't want to mess with the piping and just want a similar sized one. Sometimes its good to have less choices!
    DD is off and left me a ton of stuff in the livingroom, saying" I can't fit this in my apt" No kidding! I didn't blow my top but that isn't staying there any longer. She won't be happy at Thanksgiving when she comes back to find it in her room- albeit condensed and quietly sorted out a bit. But its been sitting there for 4 months and I need m y living space back!
    I'm accidently up much earlier than I wanted, so I guess I'll have a nap later. Today is haircut at 10, dump/groceries/nap, and hopefully dinner out with manfriend.
    Bill- I asked the director of our library when they would open for casual browsing; he said not for awhile, but they would start curbside service on Saturdays, which would help us working folk. I do wish we could order from other libraries too- I love my library people but the selection of books is small.
    Karen-You're so nice to go help your MIL, and I'm glad you'll be out of the heat for a bit with a change of scene.
    Gardenerjoy-oh dear, that is young for a baby and still in college. At least being young she'll have a lot of energy for it.
    Onebyone-hope your sister does okay. I find hurricaines very scary, but at least in Florida they have a lot of experience/preparations for them. No place is perfect for weather, that's for sure!
  • I followed yesterdays written plan, fairly closely. I have a written plan for today that looks even more promising that I can follow it 100%.

I went to the grocery store yesterday, confident that I'm getting good at this. And, proceeded to forget my list! DH had to read it to me over the phone while I wandered around the store picking up the items.

Exercise +35, 1000/1400 minutes for August

karenrn: Good luck with the last minute travel preparations. Cooler walking and hiking will be a good reward.
  • Quick check in. I’m in the Denver airport with the boys waiting for the connecting flight to Detroit. We will rent a car and drive to Ann Arbor. DH has been a mess. He will miss the boy so much. I might miss him a little as well . I have been putting in 12 hour days at school to prep for being gone for 4 days. I have been powering that kind of energy with way too many carbs. Compounding this is the horrible air filled with ash from the surrounding fires. The sun is completely blocked by the smoke. Given all that I think three pounds from ticker is fine. We are enjoying this last trip together and when I get back I am looking forward to reestablishing my routine.

Karen: I am not uncomfortable in the airport. Everyone is masked up and there is extra room in Southwest because there is a seat in between everyone.

Wave to all.
  • Quick check in. I’m in the Denver airport with the boys waiting for the connecting flight to Detroit. We will rent a car and drive to Ann Arbor. DH has been a mess. He will miss the boy so much. I might miss him a little as well . I have been putting in 12 hour days at school to prep for being gone for 4 days. I have been powering that kind of energy with way too many carbs. Compounding this unhealthy pattern is lack of exercise due to the horrible air filled with ash from the surrounding fires. The sun is completely blocked by the smoke. Given all that I think three pounds from ticker is fine. We are enjoying this last trip together and when I get back I am looking forward to reestablishing my routine.

Karen: I am not uncomfortable in the airport. Everyone is masked up and there is extra room in Southwest because there is a seat in between everyone.
  • Good morning coaches,

I had a large part of my note typed and then it just disappeared. I'll try again. Anyway mil is in the hospital with an evolving stroke. So far it mostly has effected her vision and she is on blood thinners to hope it prevent it from getting worse. I'm flying up on Southwest (Maryann) and we'll just see what happens. If she should take a turn for the worse dh will fly up right away. I'm packing clothes for cooler temps in case it turns into a longer trip. I have a return ticket for 9/10, but I could be there much longer. If she is okay I will spend time with my best friend and my brother and sister in law. I have promised her that I will do what I can to prevent her going to a nursing home at the end of her life. This may not be that time, but I'll be ready in case. I just hope she doesn't have to go to rehab again where we can't even go visit her. Of course if she really needs it that will have to be. Otherwise I hope she can come home with more therapy there. Food was on plan yesterday and my plan is made for today. I'm trying to get a few food items in the freezer for dh, but not worrying about it much.

Maryann - Glad to hear you're feeling safe flying. That makes me feel better. I'm sure you are both going to miss ds terribly. He just sounds like a wonderful person to have around. It's hard watching husbands when they are feeling emotional. My dh has turned into a big softie.

GardenerJoy - I can't tell you how many times I've forgotten my list. My husband has taken photos of it and sent it to me while I'm at the store. He always tells me I should take a photo of it once it's finished, but I never remember to do that.

Curlyjax - I think you're a saint for even allowing dd to leave her things in the living room all summer. I'm afraid I would lose it. Sorry about the oil tank. We once had to have one removed because they ran into it putting in a new sewer line. It was one that was abandoned when the house was converted from oil to gas. Oh the joys of home ownership, but aren't we lucky to that fortunate.

Bill - I'm looking forward to dinner outdoors. One of these months. I can't believe you have never read an Agatha Christie book. It has been some years for me.

Onebyone - I hope the tummy issues have resolved. Yes, it would be a worry to have family in Florida right now. Between their humidity, hurricanes and bugs it would not be a place for me. I'd rather have our heat and snakes.

Penny - Waving to you and hoping your work weekend goes well. You're a busy gal these days.

Take care everybody!
  • Busy weekend
    Hi Coaches

I'm feeling fine today which is a relief. I had a very light day today.

The worst part was seeing the number on the scale rise to 278.2. Temporary I know. But I so want it down for my Dr appointment on Monday. To make that happen I was almost 100% on plan but lost my mind for about a half hour eating guacamole I made (not very good) and nacho chips from a bag.

Bagged food. Not good.

Anyway it really was a small amount... so why bother really? Oh well.

I got some exercise unexpectedly when a potter friend invited me to come.over and taken off of her hands some misc art supplies. She is downsizing. I made a big score with a giant roll of raw canvas. I'm motivated to get into my studio to clear the wall so I can use it and paint something big.

That's it.

So much happening here for everyone. Take care! Stay well!
  • Sunday - Albert Bridge crossing the river Thames in London opens (1873)
    Diet Coaches/Buddies - Had a sobering conversation with a friend setting up a personal assistant for a mutual 90-year-old friend. The most sobering part is watching this guy recognize that his mental skills are getting slow while still in denial that that affects some everyday activity. All of this impacts me because mental decline is such a dreadful future - for all of us. And the use of our mentally declining brain to note this about itself is so problematic.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Lunch was the fattest tomato sandwich yet this year. I was allocated a whopping big red tomato which I cut into exactly two slices that fully covered the two slices of whole wheat sandwich bread. Life is so abundant that a friend was called to come over to take home some tomatoes and cukes. She was ecstatic.

​​​​​​​
    onebyone - Yay for being the recipient of someone's downsizing. Gotta love, "Bagged food. Not good."

Joy (gardenerjoy) - LOL at forgetting your grocery list - that's something I'd do.

maryann - Makes me nostalgic from way out here thinking of you driving your DS to Ann Arbor. Sounds like Southwest Airlines is working on social distancing.

Karen (karenrn) - Wishing you well as you try to find the right path forward for your MIL. Sounds like you have realistic expectations about how long your trip might be.

curlyjax - Yay for a pleasant surprise for the cost of replacing the oil heating tank. I, too, am used to hearing a larger estimate than I expected. Super Kudos for keeping your cool when your DD left your living room full. Temporarily, LOL.

Readers -
    Quote:
    chapter 2 Experience the Difference

Stage 4

You will have transformed a feeling of deprivation into a sense of triumph and a feeling of unfairness about dieting into a sense that everything you need to do to lose weight - no matter how challenging - is worth it. You will know how to consistently make time for dieting, and you will know how to continually motivate yourself, too.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 30.
  • Dinner out with manfriend didn't happen as his daughter was having a meltdown; ah, parenting. I ended up getting my grocery shopping done instead. Today I'm going to walk around Elm Bank Reservation with a friend I haven't seen in eons, so that will be nice although hot. Then I may pick up another microwave since the inside of mine seems to be corroding already even though its maybe a year old if that.
    DS is out with a friend today so i'm on my own for dinner which will be simple. I've made a plan for the week and didn't buy any ice cream or snacks other than Triscuits. DS is on board and I told him he could buy his own stuff if he wanted.
    Yesterday we looked at his college schedule; it is exciting even though he will be at home. I told him he is good company; he knows I was looking forward to an empty nest and has teased me about it, so now I want to make sure he knows its all good. His best bud is going to school in state so he'll be able to see him occasionally, and he can do online gaming with friends.
    tonight I have to get ready for going back to work in person which I'm looking forward to, but I need to get all my resources arranged etc.
    Karen- can your MIL afford in home help? That's what my MIL did at the end, because none of us could be there and she needed 24 hour care. If she knows thats the alternative to a nursing home she may be more amenable to getting help.
    Bill- some mental decline is inevitable as we age, but not dementia, that does not happen to everyone at all. My MIL was quite sharp when she died at 92, but of course not as sharp as a 50 year old. She was still living alone, paying bills, grocery shopping, playing cards etc up until the last few months (she went downhill physically pretty fast).
    I see so many older folks in great shape mentally, so its very affirming.