Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2020, 11:35 AM   #136  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I was still only fairly close in my following my food plan. I'm not too bothered, since I lost most of my weight on days that were 80% to 90% following the day's written plan, but now it feels like a challenge. Let's see how long it takes to make a 100% day happen.

Exercise +20, 1020/1400 minutes for August

karenrn: Wishing the best for your mil. Thanks for the idea about taking a photo of the grocery list. That would have been less disruptive.

curlyjax: Thanks for the reassurance that we aren't all doomed to dementia. Since we never had kids, I often have, in the back of my mind, thoughts about aging responsibly. There's a new-ish Continuing Care Retirement Community near us, which is a fascinating concept, that I hope would mean we could rely on paid staff to help us with difficulties. They're expensive, but we don't feel a huge obligation to leave money to our heirs.
Old 08-23-2020, 02:56 PM   #137  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday, but the scale didn't seem to notice. I will just go forward and stay on plan again and my plan is made for the day. I will be taking my planning sheets with me to WA and even though I don't know what each day will bring, I will have control of what is eaten many days. No changes with mil and I think she may get home in the next day or two. I hope my bil doesn't plan to leave her alone, but I can't be the boss of that situation.

I've spoken with a new pet sitter in case dh needs to make a quick trip up. Otis and I will go to his house this afternoon although he does know him from on our walks.

GardenerJoy - I do have one son, but he's part time in the states and part time in Thailand so I have some of the same concerns you do with getting older.

Curlyjax - Mil can afford in home help, but she is resistant to it and also lives in quite a small and economically depressed town. I'm afraid the pool of employees would be small and that some one wouldn't show up. It will definitely be a consideration though.

Bill - the good news for such a time that you aren't thinking as clearly is that you have a couple of grown children in the area. I would hope that would be of some relief. I think we are all doing what we can to keep our brains healthy, eating right and getting some exercise.

Onebyone - your artistic abilities are amazing. Paint something big and take a picture of it.

Waving to Maryann and Penny!
Old 08-23-2020, 11:33 PM   #138  
persist

S/C/G: 296/276/159

Height: 5' 6"

Default Stinkin Thinkin

Coaches

I woke up, stepped on the scale and saw 278.2
Immediately my brain told me I *would never be* 275 tomorrow for my Dr appointment. Immediately my brain added that I would never be 275 again, or less than 275. I ignored my brain and ate breakfast.on plan but the feelings these thoughts generated didn't leave me and I had the/did the next thing which was say to myself What does it matter. Why don't you eat that bagel sandwich and that frozen thing you were going to have this week. It doesn't matter. You're not going to meer your goal anyway. Your blood pressure will still be high and he's going to be concerned you've stopped losing weight and might bring up weight loss surgery again of the blood pressure clinic.

Those are all my dr appointment fears for tomorrow. I hope I have zero psychic powers and I am.wrong wrong wrong.

I did stop eating early. But just now I nibbled. Eating obviously doesn't change a thing for the better.

Also I think my resistance muscle was away on vacation. I didn't even give it a second thought to eat over my feelings.

Good thing is, it was small in terms of extra food and I stopped and in the long run it will be a small.blip.

Bye for.now.
Old 08-24-2020, 06:43 AM   #139  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Monday - Mount Vesuvius explodes covering Pompeii (79 A.D., Pompeii, Italy)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Walk, CREDIT moi, was a leisurely exploration of the deCordova Sculpture Park and Museum in Lincoln, Massachusetts - all masked and socially distanced with DW and DS. Everyone had to arrive with a timed ticket as part of their COVID response. There were so many acres of outdoor sculptures that we were never close to other folks. Some families brought their own folding chairs and picnic spreads. Other people were just there hanging out in the hills and trees and planted areas. Even better, it started raining the moment we stepped into our car to produce a full inch. Gardener DW was ecstatic.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. The scale has responded by sitting on the same reading for several weeks now. The Beck suggestion is to accept this as my final weight or make changes. Will dawdle a bit here and then decide. Or maybe dawdle a long time and then decide.

​​​​​​​
onebyone - Good luck with your doctor's appointment today. Kudos for fighting off "What does it matter?"

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Kudos for thinking responsibly about where you might live next. We try to have those thoughts but get stuck on how much we love our current house, yard, and location. The continuing care retirement places seem to offer a full enough set of services so that there wouldn't have to be a later move.

maryann - Waving toward the gates of the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor.

Karen (karenrn) - Kudos for being clear, "I can't be the boss of that situation." Understand the part, "but the scale didn't seem to notice."

curlyjax - Elm Bank Reservation sounds like a fun trip; I've never been there. Kudos for leaving the ice cream at the store.

Penny. - Waving toward the end of your work weekend. Hope all is going well.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 2 Experience the Difference

Stage 4

You will also be ready to start a transition into rest-of-your-life eating, starting with greater flexibility. You will experiment with skipping snacks and adding that food to meals or occasionally banking snack calories to splurge for a special dinner or larger-than-usual dessert.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 30.
Old 08-24-2020, 08:09 AM   #140  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

I had a nice walk with my friend although the flowers etc at the reservation were a bit past their prime, probably earlier in the season is better. I didn't do dinner out with manfriend since we had a big storm -and I lost power but fortunately only for about 30 minutes, yay. I ended up foraging in the frig and ate more than I should, but only ate one bowl of cereal as my "dessert" and told myself firmly that I was done eating.
I'm looking forward to going back to work but jeez there is a lot of stuff to bring with me-wipes, gloves, etc, plus i'm supposed to bring my scanner with me and not bring it in the car. I'll have to figure out where to put things safely on the table-maybe i'll bring a towel and plop stuff on it that i'm not using.
Karen- you or your BIL could look up waclc.org- that's washington's community living organization network, which is a state agency for elders, similar to the one I work for. Also helpingseniors.org. They will have a wealth of info on helping seniors stay living independently, how to find help at home, help for caregivers etc. I think you said she lives in washington state.
Bill- I love the deCordova, I should plan a trip there sometime. If you and your wife ever wanted to have a chat about thinking things thru for aging at home I can offer resources for you too, or even chat in person since you live sort of closeby.
Gardenerjoy- CCRC are great ideas; you are a great researcher and planner so you will do well!
Onebyone-our brains always go to the dark side don't they. It's great you stopped, and just remember how much you lost, you can do it!
Old 08-24-2020, 10:55 AM   #141  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Yesterday was on plan and I think weight remains about the same. I have a plan for today and am having a spinach/berry smoothie for breakfast. I'm trying to use up some of the things that I know dh won't eat, like the spinach. I try to remind myself that the whole large container from Costco is very inexpensive but I am usually pretty good about not wasting. I've walked Otis and that will be the extent of the exercise this morning. It's about 88 degrees and a bit smoky here. I see the temperature range in Aberdeen, WA is a low of about 50 to a high of 75. I plan to do lots of walking and have downloaded some books to listen to as I walk. I'm sure my mil takes at least one nap and for now she will likely need more rest, so I'll be sure she's safe before I set out. When I spoke with her yesterday she sounded tired and I could tell she wasn't hearing me as her answers were not appropriate to the questions I asked. She tells me she doesn't know what happened to her, so I don't even know if she realizes she has had a stroke.

Curlyjax - Thank you for the information. I'll be taking my computer and I'll have time to do some checking into things once I get there.

Bill - The park looks very nice and it's so wonderful to get out. It's hard to figure out the best weight when we have to figure in what is sustainable.

Onebyone - I think the stinkin thinkin is probably the biggest problem for most of us. I feel like I'm really trying to work on that part, but it will be a life long process for sure. I'm okay with that.

I'm doing last minute things around the house today and I also have a hair cut appointment mid day. At first I was thinking that I'd be at the salon for a couple of hours and then I remembered that without the color, it doesn't take long at all.
Old 08-24-2020, 10:58 AM   #142  
persist

Default Not a Psychic

Hello Coaches

Woke up to see 276.6 on the scale. I am back to 20lbs down. I am back to close enough to 275 that my thoughts of "never losing weight again" that plagued me yesterday have been proven wrong.

My food is planned for today and I am ready to face the day. I see the Dr in about an hour. Afterwards I am heading to the makerspace to glaze all my soapdishes (over 100), load them in the kiln and fire them. This means I can deliver them to my client in a couple of days. Great! Something major off the to-do list.

I'll update here later today.

Bye for now.
Old 08-24-2020, 12:04 PM   #143  
Green Tomatoes

I followed my plan 100% yesterday -- Credit! I also did a whole bunch of exercise -- Credit again! Both of those correct some things sliding in the wrong direction so I want to keep going in the right direction today.

Exercise +105, 1125/1400 minutes for August

onebyone: sending good thoughts to you at your doctor's appointment. And, I hope everything goes well at the kiln, too!
Old 08-24-2020, 07:59 PM   #144  
Hotspur!

S/C/G: 130/126.4/110

Height: 5’1”

Greetings, I’m new here. Is there a tutorial hereabouts to get started with Beck? I know I need to choose a method: calorie counting with carb limits. I know I need to author some “whys”. I’ll go do that and then rustle amongst these posts and see what else I can learn.
Old 08-25-2020, 07:07 AM   #145  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Chinese Valentine Day / Daughters Festival

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Was sent out walking, CREDIT moi, to find a baguette to enjoy with our gazpacho dinner on the patio. Stood looking at French breads, Italian breads, Syrian breads, local artisan breads, Middle Eastern Flatbreads, and even Injera bread. A dangerous place for me to dawdle. Quickly grabbed a good looking baguette and raced out of the store. Ended up debating the automatic checkout machine that asked if I was going to buy a bag from the store. "No." Then do I have a bag. Didn't know how to say, "I'm going to take it in my hand like the iconic photograph of a young French girl walking down the street with a fresh baked baguette." There was no button for that choice. It was a lie, anyway; I was only going to walk with the bread for a few feet then lovingly put it in my backpack.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. After dinner snack was a Gala Apple - they seem to be getting even better as apple season approaches.

​​​​​​​
onebyone - Having a to-do list that includes glazing 100 soap dishes is clearly motivating for the day. Hope doctor's visit went well.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yep, gotta catch that "sliding in the wrong direction."

Karen (karenrn) - Love the image a giant container of spinach from Costco. Yay for getting to your hair salon.

curlyjax - Going to work sounds like packing for Grand Canyon trip. Thanks for the tips about elders.

VertOlive - Welcome to the Beck world. The best way to get onboard with the strategies of Dr. Beck is to read one of her books. Any one of the three works; I'm a fan of starting with the 'Pink Book' - her first. There are links and descriptions of her books in the first post of each month. We'd be delighted if you choose to join us.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 2 Experience the Difference

Stage 4

If you love a highly processed food (such as a lower-protein cereal or less-nutritious white bread) and you miss eating it, you will experiment with occasional replacing healthier choices with these foods to see how they affect your hunger, cravings, and energy level.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 30.
Old 08-25-2020, 08:58 AM   #146  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

The first day back went well. It was challenging to figure out where to place things and to try to wipe the table down first while holding my backpack with laptop etc in my other hand. I will figure out a system as I go. My second client pulled her mask down to scratch inside her nose- yuck! That is the point of wearing it!! I could tell she was a little off mentally before that happened. I kept my distance and when she left I wiped down the table and chair. The maintenance guys will be cleaning things when I leave more thoroughly. I was definitely more tired at night, but that's to be expected for awhile.
Food wise was good- I'm trying to hold off on breakfast/lunch as part of a sort of fasting- other than my coffee with milk which I need in the morning!-and managed to not eat until 12:00. I was totally onplan yesterday except for some wine at night. Yay for getting back on track! Now I just need to be stern with myself and get to bed on time.
Karen- Good luck with MIL, it's such a hard thing. You will have a great time walking in lower temps there.
Wave to Penny and Maryann!
Old 08-25-2020, 11:06 AM   #147  
Green Tomatoes

I'm watching hurricanes because a friend of mine in Texas evacuated early this morning. Here's my reminder that I don't need to track the path all day long -- it won't help. And another reminder that what I eat will have no impact on the storm, so I might as well eat what's best for me.

Exercise +45, 1170/1400 minutes for August

Welcome, VertOlive!
Old 08-25-2020, 11:59 AM   #148  

S/C/G: +71/+12/0

Good morning!

Yesterday, and the last few days, have been a bit over budget and weight is just into the bad decade. I did go on a nice hike yesterday and hoping to get this yoga with Adrian on YouTube started. A friend has been doing it and says she loves it and feels stronger.

Curly, I would say most of my patients do not mask or mask incorrectly. I just keep wearing my n95 mask and face shield. My work is now providing and more flexible with the n95 masks, thankfully, because I will run out of my own supply soon.

Karen, I sure hope it's her hearing and not something more.

Onebyone, just having some deadline goal in my head can sabotage me. Credit for dropping closer to your goal!

Bill, mmmm to all the breads. I guess the backpack counts.

Joy, we will find any ol' reason to stress eat, won't we? Here's to us both avoiding that today!

VertOlive, welcome! Grab a Beck Diet Solution book from the library or somewhere and check it out. It's good stuff.
Old 08-25-2020, 10:47 PM   #149  
Hotspur!

S/C/G: 130/126.4/110

Height: 5’1”

Thanks for the welcome.

So. I have the Complete Beck Diet for Life, and am working on Skill Set 1. I really don’t have the 15 - 20 reasons for weight loss she mentioned, but have managed some substantial ones. I think if the list is too long that I’ll habituate while reading it and my eyes will glaze over and it won’t have the same impact? I’ll start with what I have and see.

I’m logging my intake as I go on a phone app, not to push the process but it feels right.
Old 08-26-2020, 01:33 AM   #150  
persist

Default Summing up the day

Coaches:

Dr appt was deemed a success by me. I did not get the hospital blood pressure clinic referral! Yay. Bp 146 over 94. Continual drop everytime I go. Also the velcro strip bp cuff extender I made has made that problem a thing of the past. Its no longer an issue. Yay! Credit for working the problem. Now I have to get the bloodtests he wa to done, done. I've avoided it but no longer.

Weight today 276.7.
0.1 up from yesterday.
Really? OK then.

Ate on plan but quantity too high. Have to make my meals smaller tomorrow.

Must go! Tired. Still happy bp went down. Reinforces the idea that I can change things. I and this and I am doing it.

Thanks for listening

VertOlive. Welcome!
Closed Thread