Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 02:26 PM   #106  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Our morning adventure was exchanging propane tanks so we can continue to use the grill. We went to one of the smaller hardware stores where I could pay with just a few steps into the building and get help from a young man wearing his mask to do the exchange.

It was a little more adventurous than expected because I got stung by a wasp while we were loading our old tanks into the trunk. It hurt like the dickens when it happened and I'm still feeling some twinges, two hours later and after applying ice twice. I guess I'll get out the ice pack again. It definitely helps for a while. The sting is just above my left elbow, so I can rest my arm on the ice pack and work at my desk, although typing can only be done with one hand.

Exercise +55, 825/1400 minutes for August

Penny: I'm trying to remember what worked best for me at restaurants. It's been so long....I have some rules for myself. Check the menu and choose what I'll order before I go. Focus on veggies -- a big fancy salad can be a treat since the ones I eat every day are pretty simple. For special occasions, I have a drink or dessert, but not both. If it's not a special occasion, I avoid both to make the restaurant food closer to what I would eat at home.
Old 08-19-2020, 12:13 AM   #107  
persist

S/C/G: 296/276/159

Height: 5' 6"

Default Tuesday

Hi Coaches

Woke up today and stepped on the scale to see... the same number as yesterday which was 276.5. That was good. I really am 20.3lbs down. It's real.

I had an off day today. So I didn't get much done. I sat around a lot. It was a beautiful day though. I had the windows open throughout the apartment letting the coolish breeze in. Tomorrow will be busy so I don't mind the slow day today.

Have a restful night everyone.
Old 08-19-2020, 06:38 AM   #108  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday - National Aviation Day honors birthday of aviator Orville Wright (1871)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Helped a friend dealing with registering at an online site. This guy has always been super sharp - one of life's winners. However, he's not immune to the effects of being 90 years old. Stuff that's been obvious for years is just hard for him to grasp. He asked me a question about an upcoming event that had happened a year ago. I easily identify and easily see myself going down that path.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner on the patio was salmon, tomato salad, potato salad, corn-on-the-cob, and green salad. Again, we fell into too many dishes for a convergence of reasons. The corn was as sweet as melon; I could have eaten a dozen ears. The tomato salad was all homegrown heirlooms. Life is good. And I ate while wearing my new shorts and Polo shirt. Made it even better.

onebyone - An open-windows day is a good day, indeed. Kudos for reveling in your twenty pounds down.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Ouch for that wasp sting - not a usual issue while changing a propane tank. Congrats for perfect text from one hand typing.

maryann - Neat that your body has adjusted to no sugar so quickly. Ouch for a hot day with no electricity.

Karen (karenrn) - Such a rare event to only replace a single tire. Congrats for buying the warranty that sponsored that. [No, I've never had my Vitamin D checked. Is that normal to ask at a doctor's visit?]

curlyjax - Yay for a little normalcy - don't we all need that.

Penny. - Good to know that you're COVID-19 negative.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 2 Experience the Difference

Stage 3

Many people blame our epidemic of obesity on the rise in highly caloric, highly palatable convenience foods. They point out that restaurant portions have grown by up to 60 percent in the past two decades, in step with rising numbers of overweight and obese adults.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 29.
Old 08-19-2020, 08:43 AM   #109  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

Yesterday's trip into the agency went well. I can tell they are happy I'm excited about getting back to work and they're very supportive, no pressure. I was given a box of masks, gloves, one of those face shields, a gown (which i don't see using but hey) etc. I will for the most part be meeting clients in a community room or outside if its nice out. I actually feel a lot safer now than I did in the beginning of this pandemic.
I'm going to hold off on the kayak for now. I did see there are smaller cheaper ones at Walmart online; not sure of the quality, and the delivery date is mid september. At a certain point it gets too cold (since I always get wet kayaking) so I'll keep researching and see if I can get one on sale or something. I've read the snap together ones can be hard to put together by yourself.
It is so nice and cool this morning!! My favorite weather- cool at night and evening, warm during the day.
Karen-glad it was only one tire and so easily dealt with. I wish I could send you our cool weather! I definitely tend to snack more when I have too much time on my hands, I know what you mean.
Onebyone- yay for 20 pounds down, that is awesome!! The ukelele would be really fun to learn.
Penny-glad you are negative for covid, and yay for figuring out how to eat out on plan, that is tough.
Maryann- yikes for losing electricity in the heat. Although I have lost it in the winter and it really bites then too- cold and super depressing how dark it is at night. I need my coffee and hot shower in the morning to get me going.
Bill- your dinner sounds so summery and delicious. I don’t worry about my vitamin d in the summer, I figure i get enough. I have sporadically taken it in the winter as Penny said.
Gardenerjoy- ouch for a wasp sting!

Last edited by curlyjax; 08-19-2020 at 08:44 AM.
Old 08-19-2020, 10:20 AM   #110  
persist

Default Already a good day.

Coaches!

I stepped on the scale to see 275.7 this morning. I am now 21.1lbs down since May 27. I am excited. I *can* do this!

My hope was to tackle one of the "10's" each month. Or the majority of that 10. August=270's. My aim is to be as close to 269 by weigh in on Sept 1 as possible. I'd take 272 and down as success on that front. I am thrilled to see I just might do it.

The work for me to get to 275 from almost 300 early this year has been immense. No one "out there" has any idea the focus, the regrouping, the thinking and doing, the discipline, the fear, the hope that it takes to do this. I am being dramatic, maybe, but for me this is a big deal. When I picture telling a stranger " Yes, I am 275lbs" I think Whoa. That's big. Horrible! But I know this is the best it's been since 2016 when I got to 262 following the same plan I am following now.

I told myself that by the end of the pandemic I would be much thinner and I would be a ukulele player. I am glad I am living up to my promises to myself. BTW my ukulele songbook came yesterday. It is big, thick and large sized, spiral bound so it lies flat while you learn the chords. Exciting!

BillBlueEyes I deeply identify with your friend who needed help with something online. I am lousy with computer stuff and have had to do a lot of it as I ready myself online to sell things. DH, who now works from home in the second bedroom a short distance down the hall from where I mostly work, now asks me if I am doing computer stuff. He says he has to keep his door closed then because all my swearing is loud and interrupts his work calls. Lol.

Curlyjax I'm glad you're feeling good about getting back to work and that you are protected from the virus. I also feel more protected as I think it's really clear what works and what's more dicey. But I am sure your work is thrilled to see you there as are your clients.

Gardenerjoy Ow. Sorry for the wasp sting. Didn't expect you to write that! Happy to hear your grilling season is still going strong.

Penny I am glad you got tested and glad you are negative for the virus. Both excellent things.

Last edited by onebyone; 08-19-2020 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-19-2020, 11:04 AM   #111  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Yesterday was on plan and I've made the plan for today. Today's exercise was to walk Otis which we did before 6. It remains hot and I could hear the cicadas which I hadn't heard yet this year. I think we usually hear them when our humidity is higher. We continue to hit hew high heat records and were even asked to turn our air conditioners to 80 between 3 and 8 pm yesterday and not to use major appliances. We complied but I was glad to turn it down a bit at 8. We typically keep it about 77, which is fine except when I'm doing heavy housework. The overhead fans help a lot.

Onebyone Good job moving down the scale.
Curlyjax I know you said you are holding off on a kayak, but I did see a commercial that showed a guy putting one on top of his car. He had some kind of pully or rope that pulled it up there. Keep your eyes on the commercials and I'll try to see what the commercial was for.
Bill I buy my tires from Discount Tire a company headquartered here and they include a warranty on all their sales I think. Anyway, it has worked out well for me on several occasions. As for the Vitamin D level. My doctor has checked mine for the past 3 years. She likes me to keep my level between 40 and 60 ng/ml. I think part of the reason she wants it a little higher is due to my having osteopenia, so it's for stronger bones. Also, I don't drink milk and eat very little fortified cereal or fatty fish. To keep my level in the range she wants I take 4000 units most days. I probably forget 4 or 5 days a month. I get plenty of sun lots of months of the year, but less in the summer.
GardenerJoy I hope the wasp sting is much better this morning.
Penny I'm glad you're negative for Covid. Do you get a test every week?
Maryann Is that ds's Michigan that is now online only for the first semester. If so, what a bummer.

I've been enjoying watching some of my Masterclass lessons. Yesterday I watched some of the Gordon Ramsey cooking classes. No plan yet for today, but I'll figure something out. Take care all!
Old 08-19-2020, 12:52 PM   #112  

S/C/G: +71/+12/0

Good morning!

Yesterday went very well with my restaurant meal, and weight is holding. I ended up getting the quinoa and veggie bowl, and two gin and tonics. The food was meh, so perfect!

I really liked my date and hope to see her again. Hopefully my nonstop nervous tmi chatter does not scare her off.

Joy, I'm so sorry about the wasp sting. Ouch! Thanks for the restaurant advice. It's exactly what I did.

Bill, hopefully you are not headed down the path of memory issues. You keep an active brain. Your dinner sounds amazing!

Karen, I only just learned about needing to be tested for Covid-19, and still need to ask the frequency. It seems like a single test is not useful for long. I forget how hot it still is in the homes in AZ. 30 degrees below the outside temp is still hot!

Onebyone, it does take so much mental energy to lose weight, but after a long time of healing the struggle is less acute. I find eating the same foods helps automate things so I have fewer decisions to make, resulting in fewer opportunities to slip up. Congrats for the loss!

Curly, I'm glad the office day went well and you are feeling happy about it.
Old 08-19-2020, 01:32 PM   #113  
Green Tomatoes

We're expecting a gorgeous, low-humidity, cooler day. I think I'll walk and do some yard work to celebrate. CREDIT for the change in thinking that makes me think today should involve exercise, not reading a book in a deck chair.

Exercise +40, 865/1400 minutes for August

Penny: Yay for a successful restaurant excursion!
Old 08-20-2020, 06:43 AM   #114  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday - World Mosquito Day - Sir Ronald Ross linked mosquitos to Malaria (1897)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Exercise was chase the (4.5 yo) DGD day, CREDIT moi. We drove to the New England Aquarium and the adjacent Rose Kennedy Greenway. Drove because we're not yet ready to take the so advantageous subway that little bit loves. The Aquarium was well organized; it lends itself to a one-way trip around the tanks on the walls on the way up and then on the spiral ramp beside the huge saltwater central tank. She immediately spotted her friend, Myrtle the Turtle taking a gulp of air at the top before sinking to a comfortable 'coral reef' to take a nap. She found 5 "Nemo's" in one tank - Clownfish to those who don't think that a Disney movie should rename a species of fish. During the walk along the Greenway, she was mesmerized by two men replacing a bare cobblestone with one inscribed with a name. Totally mesmerized. Just plopped down to watch. The men gave her the can of sand to pour around the edges of the inserted stone. Then she carefully swept the sand back and forth. Just fully involved.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi. Afternoon snack was about a third of a single scoop of Ben and Jerry's ice cream on Boston Wharf. I say "about" because I was competing with the DGD who scoops and gobbles quickly. Incredibly quickly. Ended up wrestling with her to get two bites. The good news is that's enough to thoroughly enjoy the treat while consuming very few calories. Watched some large boats coming and going. Harbors are just the best places to gawk.

onebyone - Congrats on those 21 pounds gone forever. LOL that your DH has to close his office door to avoid your swearing when you're on the computer.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yep, Kudos, indeed, for thinking exercise instead of lounging for your day.

Karen (karenrn) - Congrats for being a responsible citizen by reducing your air-conditioning temperature during peak hours. Thanks for the numbers about Vitamin D.

curlyjax - Yay for a supportive workplace. Good to hear you're getting adequate Personal Protective Equipment.

Penny. - Congrats for making it through a date and a restaurant meal both at the same time.

Readers -
Quote:

Stage 3

The truth of the matter is that highly processed foods and large restaurant portions are not going to disappear. Neither are fast-food joints, all-you-can-eat buffets, or cafeterias. To lose excess weight and keep it off, you will learn how to stay in control in any eating situation, including at restaurants, parties, and extended family dinners.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 29.
Old 08-20-2020, 09:38 AM   #115  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

Yesterday was my calling day for many of my favorite folks. I ended being done early and just closed the laptop, I'm getting a little loosy goosy! Today my excitement is a rep from my oil company is coming this morning since I think I need to replace the oil tank, which is quite old. so I guess its lucky i'm not going on a trip this year because it sounds pricey, we'll see how much today.
Another one of DS friend's college pulled the housing so he'll be around too-DS is psyched that at least he has some buddies who are home as well.
Bill- that greenway looks great, I haven't been there yet. So nice you can see DGD, and how lucky was she to run into those kind workers.
Penny- I'm a little envious about dating women, my women friends are all so awesome and lovely in their own way. I think the physical expectations from men are much higher, at least online. But I've been boy crazy since I was 11 and that's not going to change
Karen-wow, I feel bad for you with that heat. I can't imagine an ac on 80. We are starting to have lovely cool nights here. Of course in winter I will be extemely jealous of you! Interesting about the kayak pulley. I tend to be impulsive with purchases so i'm trying to talk sensibly to myself. DH would always keep me in check since he tended to not buy anything
Gardenerjoy-yay for low humidty days and yard work. On a perfect day I will sometimes just sit there for a bit and soak it in.
Onebyone-yay for 21 down, you are doing great! I hear you, I swear a lot at the computer too- or the streaming on the tv.

Last edited by curlyjax; 08-20-2020 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:00 AM   #116  
persist

Default New

Hi Coaches

I'm posting on a new phone. Mine was either lost or stolen within a 20min gap in my life going from on place to another with a stop on either end.

Once I accepted my phone was gone, while carefully trying to avoid running a catalogue of images through my head of what was on that phone, my biggest thought was will someone see what's on my phone? I have discovered I guard my privacy deeply. The thought of someone perusing my phone made me feel ill. So when I got home I told DH and we headed to the Fido store in the mall.

I was happy to know that I could blacklist my phone making it unusable in North America! How fabulous. And DH told me that because I have a pattern lock on the phone the thieves would have to factory reset it wiping all data off if it so I don't need to worry. To be safe I will change a few important passwords today. I did as much as I could last night after struggling to retrieve google.mail and having it retrieve an account for the potters guild that I set up and somehow google now sees that as my primary /default account. Crazy.

Anyway.

Today is a day of clay. I am glazing my order of 100 soap dishes, long long overdue, and sending sketches to a client of an urn for their recently deceased Japanese Bobtail Cat. That and a set of windchimes in the shape of a fish (see image--not my work) that I promised another potter in exchange for 2 of her unfired mugs that I will draw on as a housewarming gift to an art school friend of mine. Also long overdue!

And the scale this morning shivered downward. 275.2 from 275.6 yesterday. Great! I gobbled up two bananas and a pint of blueberries in off plan eating: off plan as it was late evening and off plan as in I didn't have all that fruit at one time in my plan. Thankfully, the fructose hit did not stall me and I went right back on plan after my acting out with food.

Enjoy your day everyone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9c67aabd474184d4047230f496fe9bbc.jpg (5.9 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by onebyone; 08-20-2020 at 10:09 AM.
Old 08-20-2020, 11:36 AM   #117  
Green Tomatoes

I accomplished both the walk and the yard work -- CREDIT. I used well-formed squats and lunges to pick up sticks that fell in the last storm (DH will mow today). So, it was good strength-training, too.

Exercise +65, 930/1400 minutes for August
Old 08-20-2020, 12:23 PM   #118  

S/C/G: +71/+12/0

Good morning!

Yesterday got a little off plan in the evening and weight is up. I have to watch for that delayed stress eating. I can successfully get through a stressful event, only to have the backslide happen later when it's over. I did get an hour walk in.

I have a second date planned with the new interest, but I also have another first date with someone on Sunday, plus two other women have started up conversations with me. It's getting complicated! One of the new interests seems really cool in every way, but she is deaf. My aunt is deaf and I have so much guilt over failing to learn ASL, which I have tried off and on since age 7. My brain doesn’t even seem to retain the alphabet. However, my aunt never lived close so when she'd leave again the motivation would drop.

Another hike planned for today, then I start my work weekend.

Onebyone, that fish chime is so cool and would fit perfectly in my living room decor! Do you have an Etsy?

Bill, the aquarium outing with dgd sounds perfect. Congrats on being satisfied by two bites of ice cream.

Curly, I hope the oil tank job isn't crazy expensive. Lol at the boy crazy. I missed the crazy stage altogether and let my logic guide me. It's exciting to realize the physical response, even so late in life.

Joy, I am imagining lunges across the yard for sticks. lol credit!
Old 08-20-2020, 07:49 PM   #119  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday and weight was down . . this morning. I walked Otis this morning in our low temp of 93 degrees with 39% humidity. All I have to say about that is yuck. Then he wouldn't walk back to the car cause of a riding lawnmower, so I walked him home and then walked back to get the car. Crazy spoiled dog and stupid owner who gives in to crazy spoiled dog. Mil slipped to the floor when she got up off the bed from her nap yesterday afternoon. She didn't think to push her Life Alert button but bil was going over so he found her sitting beside her bed. At the time she complained of some numbness in one arm, so he called 911. Her blood pressure was high and they took her in to the ER. She is home again after BP stabilizing and some IV fluids and a number of tests. She's on the slow slide and I don't know how many of these incidents will happen before it's time for assisted living. Bil and sil go out of town frequently and are going again next Wednesday. I may fly up . . . trying to decide so I ate over it this afternoon. That's it for now, personals tomorrow.

Karen
Old 08-21-2020, 07:17 AM   #120  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday - National Senior Citizens Day (since 1988, President Ronald Reagan)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Walk, CREDIT moi, including stopping by the drugstore to buy all the cold remedy stuff available. I'm a wimp when I have a cold. There are at least a thousand options. Wasn't even that happy when the clerk saw a discount coupon on my account that saved me $5. Meh. I'm only aware that I'm blowing my nose away.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was inside each on our computers as we watched a members' night special from one of our favorite museums. Members' night is usually this special evening where we're taken into the bowels of the place where pale-skinned graduate students are tirelessly measuring articles eking out a PhD from the collection. Always fascinating. The Zoom version lacked the intimacy. It was showing off a new exhibit that would be crazy fun to visit, but not that amazing to watch someone else visit and talk about. But dinner included tomato salad from our garden - just the best.

​​​​​​​
onebyone - For off plan eating, a pint of blueberries isn't the worst. Love the term "shivered downward." Congrats for solving your lost phone problem.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Terrific idea to pick up sticks with specific body movements.

maryann - Waving. Hope you have electricity and are not affected by the fires.

Karen (karenrn) - I do love the spoiled Otis stories. The neat thing about spoiling a dog is that you don't have to put up with the clucking busybodies telling you that you're doing it wrong.

curlyjax - Ouch for the continued saga of incoming college Freshmen figuring out where to live and how to participate. I have a nephew who posted pictures of dropping off his daughter in her dorm room in Arkansas. Hope that lasts.

Penny. - Thanks for the thought, "I have to watch for that delayed stress eating." Cheering you on in your marching into the dating life.

Readers -
Quote:

Stage 3

You will learn how to stay in control when you are stressed, sick, busy, or traveling. These challenging situations simply require a set of dieting skills - skills that will build on what you will already have learned during Stage 1.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 30.
Closed Thread