Doing our own thing - September 2003

You're on Page 5 of 12
Go to
  • Jello, sorry you're having to work like the rest of us slaves to men. My boss is going to Dallas on business tomorrow and decided he needed a PowerPoint Presentation to take along - only 30 slides, plenty of pictures, music, the whole 9 yards. Shouldn't take me more than 15 minutes do you think? I've managed to get the words onto the slides and the pictures so he's looking at that. Now to coordinate music and then get the whole thing onto his laptop. The sad thing is, if he gets there and it requires anything more than clicking on the PP icon, he's totally lost and it won't get used ... but we're printed 20 sets and binding for him to take to them in case it doesn't work...does that tell you anything? I'm surprised he isn't taking one of the men with him to do it for him.

Lisabeth, good luck with the job search. If you are over 40, remind them they get ECO (or whatever the letters are) credit for being a woman and over 40 - now if you are American Indian or Black, they can get 3 credits with just your little body. I was lucky, my boss hired me at 51 and I'm fat and ugly and have red hair. Guess I had some talents he needed! Seriously, it's no fun but perserve, somewhere there is someone who will hire you and overwork you, too!

Faye, loved the poem...hope you win.

Cafe - I'm going to try your salmon recipe. I love fish. Guess that goes back to the 5 fish meals per week at WW in the 70s.

Okay, lunch time is now offically over so I can't play anymore.
  • Quilter, you're right. My last post did sound a bit whiny. Sorry. I knew this day had to come. But I'd gotten so very spoiled. Sigh.

That stuff about your building sounds cool. I love that kind of stuff. When I was in college, one of the buildings had a ghost, supposedly someone who'd committed suicide there years before ... or so the story goes. It was scary at times (like those late night study sessions there) but really interesting. Anyway, have a great trip. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Faye, loved the poem. And yes, it did provide a chuckle or two from me. Wish I was one of the judges. You'd win!!

Well, morning weigh-in showed exactly 184 AGAIN! And I was so good yesterday. Hoping for all my good deeds to kick in today.

Talk to you all later!
  • Jello - I'm feeling your pain with the scale. Mine actually had the nerve to eke back up a pound. That is WRONG because I have been a good lil girl. Now this is they say weigh in once a week. OTOH, I am motivated with a vengance! So maybe scale hopping isn't so bad.

BTW, if I went back to work after however many weeks you'd hear more whining than that. I think you're entitled, but only for a couple of days.

Quilter - Sounds like one of my last-minute powerpoint days. Although, thank goodness my guys don't use the music. Guess bosses are universal.

Hey Lizabeth, if I had known that yoga would make me taller...

Day 9 - the bad scale trip dampened my zeal just a little. But I'm still strong. I told my DH this morning - this weekend is going to be hard, that 12-14 day hump is difficult for me to cross.

Went to a work event last night at a bar. The chafing dishes could not sway me. I had some hunks of sausage with course-ground mustard. And diet coke. I feel pretty good about that. Considering it was open bar and I did not indulge in free martinis, not to mention the other edibles - or even good old Irish beer.

And then since I did NOT have booze on my breath, I left a little early and went striaght to worship. By the time I got home, I knew I should eat a proper supper but I was too tired, so I had celery stalks stuffed with a little tuna salad.

OK, work is calling- I'm going to check posts and toddle off.
  • It's Tuesday. Every muscle in my body aches. I woke up at 3am to eat asprin. I thought it would be the yoga that would bring me to my knees... but no. It was water aerobics! A sneaky, utterly delightful romp in the pool with some really FUN ladies. (How could this possibly be exercise, I asked myself?)

My abs hurt when I just THINK about them! Went for a walk with my track buddies this morning anyway... feeling better now.

Susan: OMG Red hair too??? Oh well. Yes, over 40, over 45... grandmother and everthing. My mind still thinks I'm 20 (although my body knows better.) I get startled every time I look in the mirror... what is my mother doing in my bathroom mirror??? Thanks for the encouragement.

After being in the pool for an hour, I get home famished and what is sitting on the top of the microwave??? Little Debbie cakes!! DH bought them for his lunch box. I passed the up and prepared a lowfat omelet and drank a gallon of water. When I updated my journal, I was 3 points shy of my daily allotment. Guess you all know what I did...

Until tommorrow.
  • Hi All! Just pop'n in real quick. Busy week.
    Lizabeth, I read your post of the dr phil thread...very well put.

• Just a quick hello for now and a big Welcome for Lizabeth. Still feeling very sad and not really in the mood to visit right now. Not only the funeral but remembering today's anniversary. Talk to ya'll real soon. XO Semo
  • Morning everyone!

Oh, I cheated last night. I had dinner with my mom and dad and some old friends of the family - a duty dinner - and I ate small portions of the few things I wasn't supposed to have. The thing was, I couldn't face the evening without allowing myself 1/2 a glass of wine - and yet the wine weakend my resolve.

Anyway - I was controlled about it, at least, and I'm back on the wagon this morning without hesitation. The thing about cheating is, it discourages me because I think I just blew it and I'll never lose weight. So I'm putting it behind me because it's a new day and I WILL succeed in finishing my winter project.

And the good news is, I made it through the evening with good manners and made people feel good even though I'm tired and am DYING for some time alone. (it's been a busy week!)

Hmmm, that sounds kind of whiny and selfish. And yet, looking at it: putting obligations/demands and needs of others ahead of my need for a little personal space and time weakens my resolve to stick to an eating plan. I have to admit that. Sooo, selfish or not, I guess it's important for me to schedule some time for myself in between all these different command performances.

That sounds weird though, how could putting other people first make me fat? needs more thought I guess.

Cafe, puzzled, but maybe on to something? Why is it hard to figure out my personal motivators?
  • Hi ladies, I'm off for a long weekend in another 30 minutes. Hope you all have a great weekend!
  • Hi All,

Semo: my condolences---brave lady...has to be in a better place.

Cafe: Day 6 and doing pretty well---had kinda a dizzy spell today but I think I ate too little at lunch and then tried to squeeze in some clearance shopping too quickly. Felt better after eating a bit more.

Weight staying the same at 178 but I think I have a fairly high sodium intake with this program. Does it mention anything about reducing the salt in the book? I've been eating the grilled salmon by Gortons--the lemon pepper one and some veggies at lunch. Tonight I fixed the recipe from www.diettalk.com ---Portobello Pizza. Excellent if you like mushrooms, mozarella cheese, tomatoes, and some italian spices!! I made the Roasted eggplant also but I think I'm going to add tomatoes (fresh roasted/grilled) and moz cheese to that receipe to make a full entree and spice up the taste--it's a little dry even with the olive oil.

Jello: Only one more day to go til the weekend....you can make it....

DNW: Hope trip goes well....

Faye: Cute poem---lots of potential there! Having a problem with my puppy's chewing and scratching. Bought some puppy spray and hoping it will curb some chewing of furniture pieces! All shoes have to remain in the highest position possible at this time or they are attacked by the small creature!!! Baths are fun, though..... House breaking is good most days but sucked again today....no rhyme or reason....

Lizabeth: Welcome! These guys even let me get away with going AWOL alot on here... You sound very motivated with your exercise---could you send a little of that my way????

Tiger: your poor hubby! Hope he's feeling better. I'm a stress eater too unless it's big time crisis time and then I'm too upset to eat....go figure! Lost 40# in 2-3 months with my last divorce and gained it all back moving to a small town with no social life!

Huntress: where are you girl?

Gotta run....need to see what small teeth have gotten into...just like a toddler...have to watch where and what she's doing! I think I'm going backwards with this raising kids thing!

Take care and have a great weekend,

Bright
  • Good Morning!
    Bright, get a Kong dog toy. They are made to put a treat inside. We put dog biscuits and peanutbutter inside. It keeps the dog busy for a long time and helps with the destructive chewing. The vet told us when our dog was a pup...if it's on the floor...it's a dog toy.

Jello, how was your first week back to work? Was your stuff all a mess? Had someone been sitting in your desk and eating your poridge?

Friday night football today. If I can get out of going , I plan to watch Dr Phils show. Maybe he'll flip my switch. I've been down since the Burger king/Taco Bell weekend. I am disappointed Dr Phil is "selling the *bleep* out of weightloss...but I'm hoping to watch anyway.

• Tiger, LOL!! Yes, and someone's been sleeping at my desk. Did I tell you guys about the 70 page report that my boss asked "one of the girls" (his exact words) to start typing last week? I got it yesterday and after trying to figure out her horrible typing job (grammar, type-o's, misspellings, etc.) I threw hers out, took his original and started from scratch. Still finished in record time. He was impressed.

And how about this? He and I were here late last night, well only until about 5:45 or so but still. Anyway, he commented about how I always seemed to be in before him in the morning and I told him that I sometimes get in around 7:30 just to get some stuff done in peace and quiet. (I don't have to start until 8:30.) So he asked if I wanted to work extra hours in the morning for overtime. Why sure! I wouldn't have to get up or come in any earlier but still get paid more. Hey, I can live with this.

... of course, he doesn't have to know that I spend lots of that time here with you guys, does he?

Brighter, like Tiger suggested, get the puppy stuff that he IS allowed to chew. Puppies chew, it's just what they do. The trick is training him to chew the proper things. That's usually tougher than house-breaking. BTW, that pizza sounds heavenly!! And I just bought portobellos too!

Cafe, the key to what you said is that you ate SMALL portions of that stuff you weren't supposed to eat. That's a good thing!

Well, yesterday my weight was at 183.8 (I think ) and this morning it's at 182.4! Something's finally kicking in, I think. Just gotta make it past the monthly birthday cake this afternoon. I've been informed that since I'm a September birthday, I "have to have a piece". What kind of rule is that????

Off to do some work. Gotta make it look good when the boss rolls in. Let's just see if he even remembers our little deal.....
  • Tig: I'm with you! Dr Phil is NOT a nutritionist he is a psychologist and has no business touting or endorsing pills, shakes, bars etc. It really irks me when people come out all health conscious and sell out because plain and simple it is GREED! I watched E True Hollywood story on him a couple nights ago and he is NOT a very nice person. He has been divorced (which for someone who is supposed to be a relationship guru is not a great thing), they say his staff routinely quit because he is such a jerk to all of them and I guess Oprah had to go out to Ca when she found out he was alienating his whole staff when his new show was in production. I like is in your face style, but I am highly disappointed that MONEY is really what is behind it all and that is pretty much was the program about him said. He is NOT the only one to do so, I believe Richard Simmons sold out too!

I walked 3.4 day before yesterday and 3 today so I am pretty up about the 5K now. I was not sure if I could do it, but I am positive I can now.

Semo, still have not heard anything from dh about the pledge stuff. Hope you know we are all here for you and love you!

To all the rest of you! Have a wonderful day and weekend. Tomorrow is Monster INC on Ice so I will probably feel like I walked 10 miles after having dgs for most of the day! Can't wait though.

Faye
  • Good morning, all! Happy Friday!

Tiger - I've been down since my cheat too. I cannot let this get to me! Must be the perfectionism. Still, I stayed on plan yesterday anyway, even though my heart wasn't quite as into it. Somehow, I've got to learn to break that chain because I cannot afford to be slowed down by discouragement. Too close to the slippery slope if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I do feel better today. Thank you for the props, Jello! I guess damage control and jumping right back on the wagon does count for something.

Bright - I have not read anything about sodium and the SBD... that I remember! More water will flush it out, of course. I don't think Dr. A is picky about that stuff unless it's an issue, but it's an individual thing, of course.

Jello - Nothing's cooler than getting paid for what you already do. Wahoo! Maybe it's his way of making up for the fact that he realized while you were gone that you do produce more work than others.

Still analyzing the stress/weight connection. Aside from 1 slip I've been on plan (Phase 1) all week but seeing no results. If anything, I have been eating somewhat less just because I've been too busy and then too tired when I finally had a moment. I think that I need to acknowledge and plan for the idea that for ME, part of successful dieting is not just the right food, but being able to relax and eat it. It really seems if I'm wound up too tight the body won't let the weight go. [Hey, that sounds familiar... didn't I read somewhere that stress hormones trigger fat storage?]

OK so managing stress is not only being kind to myself but stops my crazy lifestyle from undermining the efforts I'm putting in toward WL, saving myself additional frustration and discouragement. Now that's a powerful thought.

Maybe I could be really simple and just say no to additional weeknight activities outside my already established routine. Trying to squeeze that work function in between work and worship on Tuesday set me up for a really difficult Wednesday because I had forgotten the dinner party. During the week, the schedule I already have is ENOUGH! now why was that so hard to figure out?

Gotta run - hope you all have a great weekend!
  • Saturday morning at 181.2!

Pouring rain out and supposed to be like this all weekend. Good day for indoor chores I suppose. Ho hum. Oh well, got a lot of painting to do anyway. Plenty of exercise in that.

Hope you all have a great weekend!
  • Hey all,

Tiger: I saw those Kong things at Petco this weekend but did not have a idea what they were....we (my sis and I) were busy looking at the "dolly" toys for our little girl dogs. I will pick one of those up...thanks.

Cafe: I have only lost 1 or so #s with this regimen and I'm on Day 9.

I wonder if the banana I had the other day made the difference---I was afraid that my fuzzy head that day was low potassium again (since I had that once before) so I ate a banana at work. Maybe I can't do that but I'll have to look up some other foods that are high in potassium---right now only the salt substitutes, bananas, and potatoes are all I can think of.... Otherwise I am never over the extra 75 cal with sugarfree drinks and even went to a dance last eve and only drank caf-free diet Pepsi.

I went for my annual at my gyn last week and I was spilling ketones in my urine and was a bit dehydrated. I am trying to drink the water as much as possible but expected the ketone spill because of how I did that on the other low carb diet.

Jello: we have nice cool fall weather here today with a touch of sun every once in a while---I love this weather! Kudos for the pounds down, girl!

Faye: my sis has been watching all that wt. loss stuff on Dr. Phil and the info she tells me is just like the examples that he gives in one of his last books-----I have the book but can't think of its name???
    I'm sticking with this SB diet until I can get some idea if it's what I'm looking for---I should know after 4 weeks I would think.... I DO know that food commercials about LJS fish and shrimp and french fries do not bother me like they did and neither did the snack bar last eve at the dance I went to...just have no appetite for those things right now....which is strange for me.

SEMO: missing your upbeat posts but I understand....we all have to take some grieving time. Take care

Hey to all I missed and Ms. Huntress---I hope all is well down there....

On a mission to find more delicious SBD recipes,

Bright