Beck Diet For Life/Solution – February 2015 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

You're on Page 10 of 14
Go to
  • Thursday - Chinese New Year 4713 (Year of the Horse)
    Diet Coaches/Buddies – One more event cancelled last night due to the mounds of snow. Drats! I had looked forward to the evening walk; sidewalks are surprisingly navigable; some are even clear down to the bricks. Walk, CREDIT moi, included the library where I picked up some DVD's as consolation for the evening. DW and I watched Blazing Saddles - both for the first time <blush>. It's 41 years old. I suppose that means that we're catching up. It is, or course, outrageously funny and clever. It would have been better to have a roomful of drunk young adults with us to help emphasize the sophomoric humor.

Also shoveled snow from the flat portion of our roof. We don't yet have water coming inside from the ice dams as do several of our neighbors. Damage from ice dams is a big deal. They are not easily chipped away. Where I could reach, I tried, but they're THICK and tenacious. We may have trouble yet. Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, with only two snacks of my planned three. There's still room to get the snacks smaller.

onebyone – LOL at "Mongol ancestry lurking about" - that's the best explanation I've heard in a while. Sending supportive thoughts as you remember your brother today.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for "great distractions" - which the author leaves up to the reader to supply the details.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Waving. Thought of you when the news reported that Colorado's snow accumulation is at 90% of normal - an encouraging sign for the Colorado River and Grande Canyon rafting this summer.

maryann - Kudos for a good day to start lent.

nationalparker – Ouch for the difficult session in the closet - I know about those. Smart choice to hedge against freezing pipes. Will someone check on your place while you're gone?

Karen (karenrn) - This sounds worthy of celebrating to me, "I go hiking and I maintain my weight" - your body will decide when to let go of the few pounds left to goal.

Violette_R - Yep, sarcasm doesn't seem to travel well across the Internet. Sorry to hear that you were hit with stupid and unhelpful responses. Ouch for the Tastykakes; is it possible to bring the remaining ones to work or to a social event where teenagers are present? Kudos for standing down the urge to consume the remaining ones.

Readers -
    Quote:
    day 32 Prepare for Travel

Making a Travel Plan

Using any of these strategies might cause a small weight gain (assuming your splurges aren't too big), which is reasonable and certainly much better than gaining a lot of weight. You'll feel better about yourself if you decide in advance that this is what you want to do. You won't feel very good if you try not to gain weight, eat more than you'd planned, and end up gaining weight anyway.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 223.
  • Good morning coaches,

Just a quick post this morning. I'm going on a long hike and then meeting friends later in the day, so this is my opportunity. Today's hike is about 12 miles and I can't remember the elevation gain, but probably 2500. It's a pretty hike nearby.

Nationalparker I understand completely what you went thru with trying on the clothing. How many times I have been there, and still am. Unlike you though I am no longer as put together as I used to be. I don't buy enough clothes cause I don't want to buy nice things until I am thinner. It is so ridiculous when I really think about it. I hope you have a wonderful time on your holiday.

Onebyone Thinking of you today as you remember your brother. I was just saying to MIL, who just lost her sister, that the loss of my brother in 1986 was my toughest loss to date. Gone too soon as your brother is also.

Bill I wish we could send a little heat your way. It is hitting near 80's here already. Makes me worry about how the rest of the spring and summer will be. The high at this time of year is supposed to be more like 70. Crazy weather this year.

Have a good day all. I best get moving.
  • I ate my planned smaller-than-normal snack and it was more satisfying than expected. It didn't hurt that it was a juicy, wonderfully-flavored orange.

WI: -0.2 kg, Exercise: +30 720/1200 minutes for February, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
  • Why I track everything I eat: I can see on my online food log how I've averaged a caloric deficit three of the past four weeks.

I still need to adhere to my diet as much as possible, but there's no need to beat myself up over small slips so long as I get right back on plan immediately.
  • Another phone check in. Practiced stage two skills today. Adjusted food plan but kept to bottom line priorities - no wheat , one meal replacement smoothie.

Boy do I hear Nationalparker. All but two of my work pants are too tight. I will not give up my dream size clothes I worked so hard for last year.

Work was important today but I am drained by a little to close a view to the human condition. I am going to skip a meeting tonight and just be.
  • worked all day
    Coaches

Spent the day making things. Could think of nothing more worthy of my brother since we spent our best times making things. Saw a post from his widow on his Facebook page wishing him a happy birthday and apologizing to her friends that she can't delete him off of there and they should unfriend him and that she can't be bothered following through to get that done.She then announced on his page on his birthday that she has found the second love of her life. She linked to the song "Happy". It made my sister and I angry. I wish her life to go on and to be happy but come on. It was a bit hard to take.

I didn't eat over it. I made some great stuff. I had a good day. All is well.

Oh! Almost forgot. I bought this rice at the grocery store. Highly suspicious claims but I'm willing to give it a go.Anyone see or try this stuff?? Pic attached...

• Phone check in here as well. Mostly packed. Took our pooch to my in laws as they watch her for the week while we're gone. She loves it there but it's a bit quiet here tonight. I am really worried about leaving one of the two cats...she's never been alone without my other one that passed away. (She and the other are separated all of the time due to adhesion of the other one...if you can follow that ). Anyway...lots to do tomorrow and have to get up and into the office in good time. Everything has been coming down the pike at the nth hour.

Will check weight in the morning.

Have had 30 cal chocolates at my desk as co-workers brought them in and they get some and i eat more. ..now I'm wanting them available all the time. This ends now.
  • Friday
    Diet Coaches/Buddies – Shoveled more snow from the flat portion of our roof, CREDIT moi, as well as used the snow rake on the one section that I can reach on the peaked roof. Perhaps I'm doing something useful to prevent the ice dams from pouring water into the house; perhaps not. It was good exercise.

Walked, CREDIT moi, to the dentist's office to get my teeth cleaned. I got a good bill of health with the usual admonition to floss better. I wish I was as dedicated to flossing as I am to brushing. I can't even imagine failing to brush twice a day, yet I'm a bit sloppy about daily flossing.

onebyone – I'm a big fan of Basmati Rice - don't know if that's any different from the stuff sold at the Indian markets around here. LOL at the difference between the health claims on the front and back of the same package.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for winter oranges.

maryann - Kudos for knowing your priorities.

Karen (karenrn) - Yes, do send us some of that heat; it's 7F right now.

Violette_R - Yep, there's no recorded benefit of beating up on oneself.

Readers -
    Quote:

Making a Travel Plan

To figure out what your strategy should be, think about which foods or beverages you'll most want to have while you're away. Will you enjoy sipping mixed drinks at the bar? Indulging in a rich dessert after dinner? Sampling new and unusual foods?

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 224.
  • We attempted to walk yesterday, but didn't last very long in the cold.

I got a new low this morning and I'm only 0.1kg away from my first 5 pounds gone. I ate both my snacks yesterday but kept the portion sizes small all day long. That helps!

WI: -0.6 kg (new low!), Exercise: +10 720/1200 minutes for February, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

onebyone: the big deal with Basmati is that it has the lowest GI of any of the rice types. For me, it works the same in my menus and has the same pitfalls. So, it's great as a foundation for stir-fries or chilis, but I have to be attentive to the portion size (i.e. use a measuring cup) because it's easy to serve too much. I'm also capable of binge-ing on it under certain circumstances but it's not as dangerous to have in my kitchen as bread or baked goods.
  • Weighed in this morning - weight under ticker and then stupidly I got BACK on the scale and it was at ticker. Okay. Accept that.

What I'm STRUGGLING with majorly right now is that there are three boxes of bakery donuts (not supermarket) - all varieties including my favorite, maple. Donut holes, everything. My vacation starts tonight. Not this morning.

Q - But what harm does ONE 300-calorie treat do? That's what I keep asking myself. My pants already are tight.
    A - It weakens that resistance muscle.

But I'm really struggling. I'm cold, stressed about getting everything done and just want to indulge. Holding off.
  • Good Morning, Coaches.

Weight AT TICKER today. Very grateful. It is Friday so fast day for us Catholics. I have planned two smoothies and an evening meal. As always, when I begin to eat less, I see how much my life had revolved around food when I was eating more. The more declines I am, the freer - I understand that again.

Step class in ten minutes. I plan to go easy after that. I have and image a a filaree in my head. That was the street name I grew up on. In Malibu, filarees are on the hillsides. Today, I would like to just "be" like that filaree. I do not have to do anything to justify my existence today. (I often feel I need to work hard enough to earn my keep." The house is clean. My boys are safe. I can just be.

A little esoteric today but it is my attempt to move toward meditation - a distraction technique according to Beck.

Oh, I forgot. I have a crazy notion to take the fan to NYC for five days in March. Probably too wild but wouldn't it be wonderful.

gardenerjoy: Super credit for the lower number. Inch by inch we progress.

Nationalparker: Have a great vacation.
  • Hi everyone!
    I've been reading and enjoying all posts as usual.
    I have been going to the gym every few days, due mostly to the insistence of my DD. One day I REALLY didn't want to go and got rather unpleasant about it, which I regretted. If we keep this schedule up I will be stronger and hopefully have some fabulous muscles in a few months and its partly due to her so I should remember that. Its driving another 45 minutes round trip that gets tiring to me, after work.
    Yesterday had a great, busy day at work, which translated into me having a lot more patience at home. I need to remember that, and maybe take a moment to breathe to transition on not so good days.

I made what I call "veggie glop" which is sautιing zuchhini, onions, mushrooms, spinach, whatever is going to go bad soon, mix with tomato sauce and cheese, and eat for lunch a few days. I used to do this a lot when I was single and its a good way to get in a bunch of veggies at once in an enjoyable way for me- as long as there is some cheese involved!

Happy Friday! Hoping for a non shoveling weekend!!
  • Saturday
    Diet Coaches/Buddies – Dancing last night for exercise, CREDIT moi. We were pleased to have an event happen since almost everything we normally do has been cancelled for the last two weeks. The piles of snow consume what would be parking spaces so travel is limited to where we can walk. Unusual times around here.

Still fighting the snacking issues. I could blame it on the cabin fever feeling, but that's just an excuse. I did some exercise pulling snow off the front porch roof using the snow rake from an upstairs window. Some of the snow got pushed onto our own front sidewalk so that had to be shoveled afterward.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – This serious cold does discourage hanging outdoors. The tulips I bought DW lasted 10 full days - don't know how cut flowers can do that. They did bring her joy, but they kept reminding her that she wanted to be out in her own garden.

maryann - Useful thought for me today, "The more declines I am, the freer."

nationalparker – Super Answer: "It weakens that resistance muscle." Aren't you about to leave?

curlyjax - LOL at the name, "veggie glop," even though it sounds yummy. Kudos for raising a DD to be your gym inspiration.

Readers -
    Quote:

Making a Travel Plan

Once you create your strategy, write it down in your diet notebook. Read it every day until you leave (and every day while you're there), so you'll have this strategy firmly in your mind.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 224.
  • humming along
    Coaches

* Credit for weighing this morning: 274.5lbs. I get my 2nd jittery face icon back, but not until "official" weigh-in on Monday when I hope to drop the 0.6lbs to put me into the next round of 5lbs. In this last week I have been up and down 7lbs. That is a lot. I wonder if I will be still doing that when I am in Onederland? No clue. Would like to find out though

Today I have a craft show with the farmers' market. And indoor one, where there is heat and I don't need to bring my own table and chairs. And it's short and I have 2 orders for pickup=I'll make a sale or two. All good.

I have two places locally I need to take pictures of before what's happening there goes any further. One is the clear cutting of a thatch of forest. All of a sudden the trees are laying on the ground and there's a rudimentary road through what was a field. This makes me want to cry. The second is the construction of a monster house amidst all these smaller 1950's square homes. The scale of the one being built is ridiculous. All these giant homes here. They are the size of a 3 floor walk up I swear. One day I do believe they will all revert into rooming houses or apartments. I think the town is crazy to allow this kind of runaway development. My major art project is about this. I have two large pieces and these pictures will be the basis for my next two. When I have ten finished pieces I will apply for a gallery show somewhere. Meanwhile I am working away at the joyful funny things I used to make and it is really making me happy! All is well.

I didn't get to try the Obesity Rice. I wanted to add some to my soup but you have to soak it for 2 hours! So, while I am gone today, the rice will soak.

My plan today is to stay away from the farmers' market treats except for the coffee.

Have a good day.

BillBlueEyes I am sorry you are getting so much use from your roof rake. It seems an essential tool for you and quadruple ouch for having to shovel the snow you raked off your roof. Wow. Horrible but a good tale to tell over the coming years when you Bostonians recall the winter of 2015. We did the same around here with last year's winter.

gardenerjoy Thanks for the story of how the rice affects you. I have a thing with rice as well. I am not sure if it's better than white bread or baked goods for me. I will be measuring it because I will eat whatever I make... maybe I will wait with it until after Monday's weigh-in. I think I will. Eating rice is not an emergency!

Have a good day everyone. nationalparker Enjoy your holidays!
  • We had an unexpected carry-out lunch, but I was careful in my choice. It wasn't as good as I remembered. No one else's wheat bread is as good as mine and white bread is, too often, a trigger for me. I may just quit eating sandwiches out. Or, for carry-outs, by the version wrapped in lettuce and bring it home to eat on my own bread.

I tried planning an orange for my second snack, again, and it worked! I was hungry before supper but that's not an emergency.

I put a sketchnote summary of The End of Overeating by David A. Kessler on my blog today: http://www.joyweesemoll.com/2015/02/...eekendcooking/ My first attempt at sketchnoting. CREDIT for trying something new and putting it out there.

WI: NC kg, Exercise: +30 760/1200 minutes for February, Food: 80% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes