Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 07:11 AM   #121  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday - Mardi Gras

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walk, CREDIT moi, included picking up my very own roof rake - at last. I knocked down some long icicles and some snow. However, my house is three stories and the roof rake is only sixteen feet so much is left. Helped one neighbor do about the same on his house and lent it to a third to see what he could do. It's a dangerous toy; a 16 feet swing creates enough momentum to cause damage. I consider it a success that I broke no windows and pulled down no gutters. All was a new experience for me.

Eating was OK. We're suffering a bit of cabin fever here since all activities have been cancelled for over a week. Boston can't figure out how to get unstuck from the piles of snow blocking normal city activity. We did apply for an AirBnb place in Rome. It works that way; we apply. Within 48 hours the host will accept, reject, or let our application expire.

onebyone – Love the mustache on the strongman teapot. Super Kudos for working your way through the challenges of getting into your new pool. I'd be annoyed at 25 cent lockers instead of the regular bring-your-own-lock kind.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Hope adventures went well with your new tractor and snow plow attachment. Do you get a turn to drive?

CeeJay - Kudos, as always, for planning your hotel meals as best as possible. Thanks for the reminder, "Just need to move forward."

maryann - Yep, pasta is a challenge. I'm a bit worried that a week in Italy will become a pasta-fest. Have to find a way to avoid a pasta dish before the main dish arrives.

nationalparker – Yep, Kudos for sharing sweet potato fries instead of announcing that they're good nutrition so worthy of consumption at any volume.

flnu - LOL at, "don't be an idiot rule" - that works many places. Congrats for a pound a week for three weeks in a row.

love2garden - Had to look up Kluski - those would be a challenge for me also.

Violette_R - LOL at, "put my brain in cruise control" - great motivator.

Readers -
Quote:
day 32 Prepare for Travel

Making a Travel Plan

About a week before your trip, create a diet strategy. I want you to think about this in advance so that you can remind yourself of it every day before you leave. Decide how closely you'll follow your diet, specifically what exceptions you'll make and how much weight, if any, you'll allow yourself to gain. These decisions are individual. There are no right or wrong answers. Some people do better if they try to follow their diet as closely as possible when they're away so that they don't gain any weight during this time. This strategy, however, is totally unrealistic for most people. If your eating rules are too strict, you might get fed up and abandon your diet altogether.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 223.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:29 AM   #122  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi coaches!

It's been very difficult for me to get here lately but I continue to read every day. Bill, I certainly feel for you and all that incredible amount of snow that you've had. We've had those years here, too. This year doesn't seem to be one .

I continue to do pretty well as far as food goes. I weigh myself every day, which Dr. Beck indicates is alright as long as we Weigh ourselves only once. I find that works best for me as I have a daily reminder about what I'm doing and why.

The family stuff continues to be just a great big mess. Sunday night was another crisis and I ended up spending half the night on the telephone. Silly me, who always wakes up early. I didn't set my alarm and when I did wake up I had 15 minutes until I was supposed to be at work. Fortunately, my boss doesn't really care and he just laughed at me. It was 35 minutes from awake time to my arrival at work and I managed to enjoy a cup of coffee on the front porch and make my smoothie to take with me. LOL. I continue to stay in a pretty good frame of mind which I credit to continuing to eat healthy. I really found that eating healthy seems to stabilize my mood and my energy levels which have remained pretty high.

We have had snow this week and my car has been warming with its remote start. I love that! It's time to finish my smoothie and head out to work.

Take care everyone! What a wonderful spot we have here to share our daily ups and downs.thanks for being here!

Last edited by Lexxiss; 02-17-2015 at 07:30 AM.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:21 AM   #123  
Green Tomatoes

I finally got “shovel snow” on my exercise log this winter. DH’s new snow plow attachment on the tractor (see photo) worked great. But I still got some exercise clearing sidewalks and cleaning up a few spots.
CREDIT for following my plan for only one snack yesterday. Nice to see that the scale rewarded the effort this morning.
We were more tired than expected last night and decided to have what my mother called a “catch as catch can” supper. CREDIT for planning what I would eat an hour ahead instead of just roaming through the refrigerator. CREDIT for cutting a bunch of carrot sticks so that my supper included the amount of vegetables that I expect with supper.

WI: -0.45 kg, Exercise: +60 645/1200 minutes for February, Food: 90% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Violette_R: CRUISE is a great mantra with your double meaning. My favorite part of planning ahead is that I obsess much less about food.
maryann: Good job identifying your biggest problem and making a plan to tackle it.

love2garden: so hard to deal with snacks brought out of love. If it continues to happen, most of us eventually renegotiate with our loved ones about what we really want as gifts from them. Many grocery stores carry fresh flowers now and those are so cheery in the winter time.

flnu: exercise does so much for me! I can motive myself with “Exercise helps me sleep” and “Exercise is a mood-booster.” There’s a monthly thread for tracking exercise if you would enjoy that. Here’s February’s: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chic...challenge.html. We don’t mind if you join mid-month.

nationalparker: good job getting your post written at a time when you knew it would work. I have a hard time getting over 8000 steps unless I get at least a half hour walk in. Even yesterday’s snow-shoveling didn’t do it.

onebyone: good for you for experimenting with the substitute food and realizing that they don’t work for you any better than the originals. That’s true for me. Almost anything I eat that isn’t made from scratch causes cravings. I keep a couple around anyway, but with firm boxes around them about how and when I consume them. But, for the most part, I’m better off sticking with what comes out of my own kitchen. Love the teapots!

CeeJay: looks like you’re being conscious about what’s happening in your eating and making plans to get back to what was working for you. Is there an opportunity to exercise on your hotel nights? I like hotel exercise rooms because they are often empty. And, of course, a hotel pool would be a godsend for exercise while avoiding knee pain.

BillBlueEyes: planning a trip is a great cure for cabin fever. Have you got travel guidebooks yet? I usually pick up the DK Eyewitness guides early in my planning – they’re great for armchair travel. At some point, I’ll pick up Rick Steves books for the practical help. We joked about my driving the tractor / snow plow, but decided I should have mowed the lawn with tractor first before taking on the added complication of the plow.

Lexxiss: so glad to hear from you. Sorry for your continued crisis but yay for healthy eating as a foundation for flexibility and good energy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snowplow-005.jpg (49.8 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 02-17-2015 at 11:03 AM.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:24 PM   #124  

S/C/G: 173/ 152/ under 154

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Weight two pounds above ticker. Credit 37 minutes of activity yesterday. Also credit for going to a new doctor to get some straight answers. I liked him. The only bummer is he told me he saw the beginnings of arthritis in my hands. The silver cloud is that I have already returned to piano lessons which will help.

Between going off hormone therapy and recognizing the beginning of arthritis, I feel I am perched at the edge of old age. Yes, I grieve my younger self. But No, I am not giving in to a stereotypical life of slow moving, teddybear sweatshirt wearing, apple shaped menopause. The answer begins today: continue yoga; continue Beck with the beginning of no wheat tomorrow; continue to make new connections in this world that don't rely on the tricks and tools of my youth - endless energy, never saying no, flirting, people pleasing and avoiding conflict.

At 50 my grandmother was widowed. She went to USC to get her degree, started a new profession, remarried, traveled, lived high above the LA Count Museum of Art and read the New yorker front to back for years. She wore nylons and heels until she was 99. She died at 100. She had a whole other life. Maybe this next fifty years for me will be a whole other life - one defined as a peaceful relationship with food, with acceptance of what I can't change and courage to change what I can.

Maybe old age is when I will finally discover that I am enough no matter what.

Ok then bring it on.

Last edited by maryann; 02-17-2015 at 12:31 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:30 PM   #125  

Height: 5' 2"

Mary Ann YES you matter a bushel and a peck!!! What an amazing grandmother you have had. The energy she must have had and the sheer delight in life is causing me to smile.

Sorry that arthritis is showing up in your hands. Never thought about the possibility that playing the piano could actually help, even simply practicing scales. My arthritis has not progressed very fast after showing up over 10 or 15 years ago. Could be the fish oil, suppliments of Vit d3, etc. or simply good ancestors. Mom had knotty hands that hurt her but didn't stop her delight with working crossword puzzles. Stopped all her sewing, and needlework, however, or perhaps she just had enough of it.

Bill and GardenJoy Shoveling snow and raking ice daggers certainly would burn lots of callories. DH got snow away from large area of lawn and walk to put plenty of bird seed down, and later uncovered our car and DD's Van so sunshine could begin to finish clearing them.

Wonderful neighbor who is contractor plowed the neighborhood streets as he did last year. He lives 2 streets beyond us, so our street gets cleared first. Sure is a blessing.

Discovered that my other grandson may be getting married this year to a delightful woman we met recently. From his proud grin as he introduced us at a local restaurant, he is truly hooked and she is a gentle mother as he is a great father. They seem a perfect match. The children are preschoolers who will easily accept each other and their new parents.

Reminds me how fortunate I am to have met and married the love of my life many years ago. He sits behind me making fishing lures as I use computer to write here. We seem to figure out ways to be together even if we are doing different things.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:29 PM   #126  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

Hey coaches!
I came across a prayer while i was browsing at the bookstore Buddhist section -it went something like, "Please heal my fear-producing thoughts". Yes! I thought, that really hit a chord, I spend too much time in negative/fearful thoughts which impact all sorts of actions. I am trying to incorporate that into my thinking when i feel myself drifting that way.
It was SOOO good to get out of the house and get to work today!!Cabin fever!

Formygirls- thanks for that image of heat! I forget its summer for you folks. Wish we could send you the cool!!
Gardenerjoy- wow, that seems like a lot of snow for Missouri!! I have a feeling its a much different experience in the south when it happens- at least we have a lot of resources for dealing with it up here.
Onebyone- hang in there! That attempt at swimming does sound frustrating! woo, and cold- good for you for swimming in such weather.
Nationalparker- I hope you are going somewhere awesome for your trip! Is it a long vacation?
Bill- it was a balmy 26 degrees here today, woo hoo! And the sun was out, maybe a few inches of snow actually melted.
Lexiss-I hope things get better for you soon. you are so awesome with your healthy approach to dealing with it all!!
Maryann- I hear you, my body seems a lot more achy and old than it should my age! your grandmother sounded wonderful.
Waving to everyone else, have to go!
Old 02-17-2015, 08:59 PM   #127  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: high water mark/working on it

Height: 5-4

I feel as if my notes have been fly-bys without any personals lately. I want to commit time tomorrow evening to do more. Have a ton of office work to plod through in the evenings. But great notes tonight - Maryann - I'm with you on this next phase of our lives. I, too, want it to be moving forward, not slowing down and moving backward. Love2Garden - LOVED reading about you and your DH figuring out ways to be together while each doing different things. CurlyJax - I will write that quote down. I need that.

Spoke with one of my best friends tonight. She asked me to call and when I did, she asked was I driving? Yes. Call when you get home. I did. She has cancer. Again. Third time. Stunned. I am having trouble wrapping my head around it. Oncologist changed course of possible treatment when he found out more about it and she's waiting to hear next steps. She called after getting his message.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:19 AM   #128  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Ash Wednesday - New Moon

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Was rejected by the host for the Airbnb we selected in Rome. Just WOW! Never been rejected for lodging before. There's no explanation; just non-acceptance. We quickly chose another place - one with an even more desirable location - and were accepted within a few hours. Funny thing this Airbnb - apply and get accepted or rejected.

Walk, CREDIT moi, included Trader Joe's for needed raisins. My big accomplishment was to reject a package of Oatmeal Cranberry Dunkers. These are my favorite cookies on the planet and they jumped into my cart. I dawdled about and then put them back. I must have been weakened because Triple Ginger Snaps called my name in the next aisle, but I walked on by. Don't know why I can go in Trader Joe's many times and on one visit the cookies are determined to go home with me.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – I know that phrase from my childhood, also, “catch as catch can.” Yep, Kudos for remembering your veggies. I am green jealous of your tractor with your DH looking so confident with an acre of cleared space behind him. [We have the DK guides from the library and just love them. One of them will be among those we buy to take with us.]

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Kudos for staying your path even as family crisis continues. It's terrific to have a boss with a sense of perspective.

maryann - I salute your grandmother. That's quite a story. Good to know that those are your genes.

nationalparker – Sending supportive thoughts as you help your friend face the cancer results.

curlyjax - Love your prayer, "Please heal my fear-producing thoughts" - I'll remember that. Yay for getting out to go to work.

love2garden - I do understand the notion of uncovering the car happening some time after the series of snow dumps. Around here, there are many cars parked on the street that haven't had the first flake of snow removed.

Readers -
Quote:
day 32 Prepare for Travel

Making a Travel Plan

A better strategy might be one of the following:
  • Allow yourself a few hundred extra calories every day. (This is what I do.)
  • Follow your usual plan every day but add minor splurges on a few occasions.
  • Follow your diet every day except for a splurge on the last day.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 223.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 02-19-2015 at 05:36 AM. Reason: . => ,
Old 02-18-2015, 09:33 AM   #129  
Green Tomatoes

I managed just one snack again yesterday. That brings me to 4 of 6 one-snack days that is my goal for February. It helped that I had great distractions through my first snack time. Today, my planned second snack is both optional and unusually small (as a new experiment).

WI: +0.1 kg, Exercise: +45 690/1200 minutes for February, Food: 90% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 02-18-2015, 09:43 AM   #130  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I'm here and reading your posts. Nothing seems to change with me. I go hiking and I maintain my weight. We did have a very successful backpack. It was one friends first backpack in years and 2 years ago she had a hip replacement. She did super and was very encouraged. The other gal had never gone and also did fine. I carried 36 pounds and did fine, but not sure I like my pack. I have another one that I'll use on the Grand Canyon that I used to use more often. If I don't like it I'll get a new one.

Onebyone I loved the tea pots, especially yours. Oh to have artistic talent! I really can't imagine.

Bill I can't believe the snow you are having. I spoke with our cousin yesterday and she is really housebound after having a very big back surgery in early January. Of course, she can't afford to fall. I remember when my parents moved from Washington state to Massena NY in 1970. They had 12 feet of snow that year. Looks like you're getting there.

Nationalparker I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. Cancer is such a scary thing. I hope there are good treatment options for her.

Curlyjax Glad you got out of the house. Cabin fever could get me thinking all kind of negative thoughts too.

Love2garden It's always good to hear about the wonderful relationship you have with your husband.

Maryann I also love the description of your grandmother as well as the stereotypical description of a post menopausal woman that you don't want to be. I hear you! I always think of the sweatshirt with kitties on it though. Luckily it would be too warm for Arizona.

Gardenerjoy I too enjoyed the photo of your tractor "plow". Looks like you have a lovely place to use it too. At our house "catch as catch can" is called "fend for yourself".

Lexxis Hang in there. Your family is so fortunate to have you, a rock.

Waving to CeeJay, flnu, and Violette.

Yesterday was a gear clean-up and put away day after a morning meeting. Soon I'm out the door for a strenuous but fairly short 6 mile hike and then greeter duty at the trailhead. I'm going to take wet wash cloth for a quick clean up, change my shirt and call it good. It's just a 2 hour volunteer session where we are available to help folks choose the hike that is best for them.

Tomorrow is a long one with a young gal I met on a recent hike and Hiking Suzanne. I'll be the one running behind.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:29 AM   #131  
49/254

S/C/G: 291/275restart/265/150

Height: 5' 6"

Unhappy was going to skip this

Coaches

I was going to skip posting here today because I was supremely unhappy by the scale reading- +2.2lbs overnight putting me to 281 now. Yeesh. My ability to retain and hold water is incredible. It must have served my ancestors well. i like to think I have some Mongol ancestry lurking about and indeed this trait of water retention may have been very valuable on the Steppes of the Urals but here in suburban Canada, when faced with the scale, it is a frustration. *credit though for weighing in. I think it is better for me to weigh everyday. Imagine having gone from 274 to 281 in one weigh-in? I would have been emotionally wiped out. But seeing a day to day rise is bad but not unfathomable I suppose: salt. Being too still. Who knows really. This morning *credit I skipped the bacon and had one slice of the high fibre bread. It's gone now. Had two eggs. A slice of cheese (salt).

Yesterday we dropped our car off for repairs from the accident I was in last week. It'll be back to us on Friday we were told. Our rental car is a, get this, a BMW. Wow. The thing has a heated steering wheel. Makes me a bit sad our temps are not in the low -20's anymore. Only the low teens! LOL. I rode with the seat on high heat. It's nice and sproingy-love the feel of it. I haven't driven it yet. I think I'm building up some fears around a few things. I can feel my resistance to stuff. These feelings drive the hunger to eat in me. Mostly because I don't want to feel them or acknowledge they are there. I'm a little afraid to drive the rental car. I don't trust that it has winter tires. Rentals usually don't. I don't like that. Even though my accident was under somewhat extreme circumstances, I've lost some faith in my driving ability. Solution? Not avoidance but actual driving. Get back on the horse as they say.

And I'm thinking of my brother who died in 2013. It's his birthday tomorrow. He would have been 56. I'm still not the age he was when he died but it's coming up. What a shock it was to have him die so young in a family where people live into their late 80's/90's. Everything reminds me of him these days. Not sure what I'll do to remember him tomorrow but I will do something.

Have a decent food day today gang.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:25 PM   #132  

S/C/G: 155/152/125

Height: 5'4"

Two big mistakes yesterday led to a slip-up this morning. 1) I made a sarcastic off-hand comment in another internet forum about a very painful aspect of my personal life and it led to a slew of responses, half offering well-intentioned but useless advice or platitudes, the other half telling me this happened to me because I suck and deserve it. 2) A friend in New Jersey sent me two boxes of Tastytkakes. I put them in the freezer to save for splurge.

So first thing this morning I ate six frozen Tastykakes because I was upset and they were there. I really should have known better. And to top it off, I can't shake a sinus infection I've had for months that keeps getting better, then worse, then better again. I had to call in sick because I was so fatigued that I slept on and off until nearly 1 PM today. Now I'm groggy and dehydrated which just makes things worse. Ugh.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:25 PM   #133  

S/C/G: 155/152/125

Height: 5'4"

Twice today since my previous post I got a craving to hit the rest of the Tastykakes. Both times I told myself to wait 15 minutes, then decide what to do about it then (the options being various distraction techniques, not eating the food.) And both times, by the end of the 15 minutes the desire to eat was gone and I didn't need distraction. Good job, me.

And I went to the gym even though I really wasn't feeling up to it because today was gym day.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:15 PM   #134  

S/C/G: 173/ 152/ under 154

Height: 5'6

Phone check in tonight. Ash Wednesday today. I completed my planned fast - two protein shakes and a meal with nothing in between. No wheat. So illuminating how often I think of food during a day. Off to Mass tonight.

Thanks everyone for posting. It is so helpful to me.

Last edited by maryann; 02-18-2015 at 07:16 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:55 PM   #135  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: high water mark/working on it

Height: 5-4

I pulled out my warm weather clothes for our trip and tried on pieces I wore last summer, and the stabs of disappointment, frustration, embarrassment, failure and "why the heck can I not just DO THIS once and for all this time like I did before" just lingered with me this evening. I found some pieces that fit "ok" but were still a bit tighter than I like. Didn't spend much time on it and will pack tomorrow night and will work toward some real "outfits". I never was the person who didn't look put together and I don't want to slide into that. Response card written to reflect that: I want to bring back the peace and pleasing feeling of choosing from many things that fit and flattered.

Unable to sleep last night from about 1-4 a. If I struggle again tonight, I'm getting up and getting work done.

Karen - Good to hear all went well on your overnighter. I have such a short torso, that a frame pack had been so hard for me to find and I didn't want a large boys' one. I found one I loved for short women two years ago at Cabela's I hope DH and I commit time and have the freedom to go hiking much more this year. Last year was such an anomaly with family issues.

Violet - I am so sorry to hear about the hullaballoo that ensued. This is the only forum I ever post on, on the entire internet (ha ha sounds HUGE) but people can be just so mean - flat out MEAN with the anonymity of the internet. I'm blessed to have found a group of friends here who are supportive, and have the drama-free intent vs. rousing.

Bill - You have taught me a lot with the snow implements - the roof rake (never heard of that) and who KNEW a snowblower could be so finicky? Good karma on the rejection and quick acceptance by another ... I'm sure it turned out for the best! The way it was supposed to be. I ran out of time to get to Trader Joe's, I think, before our trip. I wanted to bring home some treats. WHY? Theirs is just as far from them as it is from me here.

OneByOne - Clever thinking on the previous benefits of water retention. I liked that and need to remember that it's normal for our bodies to do that. I hope you come up with a good way to honor your brother's memory tomorrow.

GardenerJoy - KUDOS for really following through on your goals for Feb.!

Maryann - I am always surprised by how I can completely forget about food when I'm busy with something that is either fun or not stressful.And how the complete opposite is also true.

They're saying we'll be lucky to get to a high of 1 degree tomorrow. I hate leaving the water dripping when we're not home, as our drains have frozen up before, but I don't think we have a choice.

I'm a pound above ticker. Wanted to be below it by Friday. Doubt that'll happen.
Closed Thread