How much weight did you have to lose to notice it?

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • I noticed after 20, 25 pounds (but only when I looked at pictures of myself). My family and friends started telling me how noticeable it was once I lost around 10 pounds.
  • I'm over 50lbs down and everyone has been commenting on it since about 20lbs, but when I look in the mirror, I personally still don't see the difference. Pictures, however, show me exactly what everyone else is seeing. Side by sides do wonders!
  • 25ish pounds. I wear my clothes loose as a rule and it seems that overnight that I'm swimming in them. A great many of my clothes have gone to thrifts already. My "work" jeans and tees I'm keeping but those will hit the burn barrel before long. Thank God for elastic waists that's the only reason most of my work pants are hanging on.

I noticed it in how I feel first, rather than how I look. No one else has noticed 30+ pounds gone otherwise either. My blood glucose has improved as my weight is coming down, a major consideration.
  • it took me 30-50 lbs
  • Other people notice it. I still don't see it. I am certainly overall smaller, but my proportions haven't changed much so in the mirror I still don't look very different from how I think I look. I'm hoping that soon I will see some good changes, because I'm starting to get discouraged.

Clothing doesn't help. I am very apple shaped, so I always have to lose a lot of weight before my waist line actually changes enough to go down a size. Meanwhile, I get to play this game where nothing actually fits me correctly and I have to be careful that I don't grow back into the pants that are fitting me so baggy right now everywhere but the waist line.
  • Nurse,

That would be discouraging! I tend to lose most of the earliest weight from my back and shoulders, then midsection but all over too. I often joke about the basic shapes of apple and pear because I don't fit either. I say I'm shaped like a refrigerator box but in truth I'm a fat X. Dolly Parton without the giant zooms. I get fat everywhere which is why it takes a while for folks to take note when I'm less fat.
  • I was about 65 pounds overweight when I started a few years ago. I eventually lost 55 of that, and people started commenting around 25 pounds lost. I didn't change pants size until I had lost around 30-35 pound, which was kind of depressing. People say 15-20 pounds per size, but I think it depends on how overweight one is to begin with.

I'm starting over again. I've lost 8 pounds and I can't tell a difference either in my clothing or my appearance. Patience is the key!
  • I noticed between 25-30 pounds down, and that's about the time when other's noticed too
  • A thread on that paper towel theory is here: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/meta...ml#post4831017. I hope before too long I will start noticing a real difference.
  • I'm so glad I read this thread. I've lost 13 pounds and I felt dejected because I don't ~feel~ it. But it seems like this is common and I need to persevere.
  • Other people started noticing at about 25 or 30 pounds. I started feeling different (clothes fit different, less achy joints) at about 35 pounds. I'm nearly 55 pounds down now and I still don't see a difference when I look in the mirror or in pictures. It kind of makes me sad. I hope I can see a difference eventually.