Beck Diet For Life/Solution – January 2013 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

You're on Page 19 of 24
Go to
  • Hi Coaches!

I traveled yesterday and have been very busy since I got here. I have been to the pool both days. credit. I had an off track moment this afternoon but identified my emotional distress, came up with a solution and got back on track. I'm grateful for the ability to do that. I had an extended nap and it meant a late dinner. I suggested a lighted option to DH and he agreed. Yay for flexibility on the light side!

I'm not a great "planner". I'm so often "a day late and a dollar short". Often I make a plan then one of my signifanct other's has a change in plan that I need to go with. I have to say....I do better with a plan.
    I've tried several different tools....weekly plan, daily plan on computer. One of my best is actually my easiest. I have a tear off notepad on my refrigerator. In the morning I tear off a sheet...write my daily plan and lay it on the counter right beside the refrigerator. At the end of the day I clip it on the fridge with other already days already done. I often use the old ones to breeze through and find a meal if I'm feeling stumped.

I hope you all get some warmer weather if you've been enduring the cold!
  • One year of Beck Diet Solution
    Hallo Coaches and Buddies!
    Today 25th January I realised is one exact year since I check my weight officially to start slimming! One year ago today my weight was 138.45 lbs or 62.8 Kg and this morning the scale was....117.07 lbs or 53.1 Kg! I've almost reached my goal! But the real goal is that I've learned so much. So my best wish for you all this weekend is: keep on excercising! I'm not arrived, we are never maybe, but it's so satisfying when you feel healthy!
    Lexxis if it can help about planning...it sounded boring and difficult to me as well at the beginning but I started doing this: on Sunday (or every other sunday maybe) I cook a lot of food (well for me it's legumes and cereals) and put them in the freeze already portioned. Then I take half an hour maximum to write on my "agenda" when I'm going to eat what during the week. In this way the only thing I have to choose every day is which kind of vegetable will go with my meal! I don't feel this is a restriction because I can change of course if I want something different, in this case I count the calories to be sure I do not exceed.
    Ok, time to start working.
    Have a good day.
    p.s.
    Pizza for me as well this evening!! but with vegetables and no cheese on it!
  • What am I, new?
    Hey all! Hopefully I'm posting in the right place. I'm not yet sure how this thread works/what the protocol is... Today is my 6th day following The Beck Diet Solution, the day I secure my weight loss support. I don't feel comfortable using anyone in my immediate circle, so here I am. Hopefully you will have me! : ]

I'm a female in my mid-20s, and I have 20 extra pounds I'd like to let go. My obstacle is "simple": I eat too much food. I don't feel like I'm the one in control; food and my emotions take me for a ride. It's exhausting. I have lost 14+ good years to feeling out-of-control, berating myself, and fixating on food and my weight. Now I want to relax, make a life for myself, and move on to more rewarding, productive pursuits.

I've weight trained and followed a loose paleo-style diet for a long time (I throw in a rice cake and/or slice of gluten free bread everyday), and now I have added in calorie tracking with the LoseIt! app, which I LOVE. I am also shifting from heavy weight training to more circuits and cardio.

Anyway, thanks for reading. I'm looking forward to joining in : ]

Thanks for reading my post! See you all soon : ]
  • Welcome SlugLuv
    SlugLuv

On the occasion of your first post,

How did you discover the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find this forum on 3 Fat Chicks?
  • Friday
    Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked to my physical therapy in the bitter cold, CREDIT moi. Got my interim evaluation. My ROM (Range of Motion) is back within normal and other indicators show that I'm progressing. I'm given permission to go climb a mountain, "carefully." We have some shorter mountains in New Hampshire that DW and I are looking at for a May trip. (In Colorado, these would be called mole hills, LOL.) Then to gym for the normal.

Food was at the low end of OK, partial CREDIT moi. Suffering from cabin fever makes food seem like a good option. But I did save half of my dinner pork chop for lunch today. And the dishwasher started leaking - my assigned role to fix. I hate plumbing leaks because they are too minor to call a plumber and they're harder to fix them they seem. But I'll get on it - perhaps dawdling a bit until it's warmer lying on the floor where I'll have to work. For now, I just shut off the water in between uses. Yay for valves.

RebelByRebel – LOL at playing with your numbers, "gained 8.2lb and lost 7.6lb" - a good way to get perspective that they aren't what's important. Neat reading how you talk back to your rebel.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yay for naps - the cure for many ailments. I like your meal planning technique.

Beverlyjoy – Neat to be planning well in advance for grandkids' time. Kudos.

maryann - Kudos for being grateful for "a new professor that does scare the heck out of me" - you don't settle for the mediocre.

Tazzy - Those are two alert pups. "Make your own sandwich" bar would be a killer challenge for me. I drool at the thought of stacks of meats when offered even though I live a happy life with meat in its proper perspective. Good luck.

nationalparker – Yay for volunteering at the elementary school - that should be extra exercise in itself. It's neat that one Beck's strategy is Enrich Your Life - making your theater excursion part of your journey. What fun.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – A weekend long party is one big shebang. You'll do well using your perspective, "there will be more food at lunch time." Kudos for planning to pack your sweats for using the hotel gym.

IBelieveInMe2 – I'm one of those who also finds himself "rebelling against the constant vigilance." My inner teenager just wants to rebel. And then rebel some more. Some acceptance seems helpful, and big time getting back on track quickly.

Julia (Julia150) – LOL at my friend "Jenny" the planner. Cheering your trip to Onderland.

Kitty (Bootedkitty) – Happy Kudos for working through to your First Anniversary - wonderful milestone. Love the perspective, "I'm not arrived, we are never maybe ..."

SlugLuv – Yep, we'll be happy to play the role of Diet Coach/Buddy for you and ask that you play that role for us. You're posting is just the right place for doing that. Kudos for acting on your Day Six task - you're moving on.

And Kudos for already having an eating plan and an exercise plan. You're ahead of the game by recognizing that the resistance exercises are important. Glad you've joined us.

Readers -
    Quote:
    chapter 3
    How Thin People Think

characteristic 2
    You Have a Low Tolerance for Hunger and Cravings
    . . .To think like a thin person you
    must learn to tell the difference between
    . . .hunger and the desire to eat.
    Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 34.
  • Thankful that it's a Friday. Snow is coming down hard and the drive in to work was mostly done at 5-8 mph as traffic was crawling. Fine by me as I despise driving in the mess. We finally passed a four-car pileup and folks sped up, fishtailed and then reduced speed back down again.

At work yesterday, I found out that I'm "stuck" with an event that I stepped in to help with last year when they were in a bind (no choice, really) ... and this year it's the same dang thing and I'm again stuck with it. A major stressful project that is a huge time suck and so most definitely not something that I have time to add or the inclination. Came home SO very frustrated and cranky. Instead of just getting changed and hopping on the treadmill, I took a 1/2 cup of the leftover scalloped potatoes, heated the up and ate them while venting to DH. Then got irritated about THAT. Dinner was good, though, and light and the potato actually worked into the day's plan because I cut out a side at dinner. Black bean, onion, green chiles and light on the cheese enchiladas - first time trying them and they'll now get added into our rotation as they were light and quick to prep.

So, buoyed by the realization that I've only really gone over on my plan with the scone the other night, I hopped on the scale this morning to start my day off nicely - official weigh in is tomorrow. A whopping three-and-a-half pound gain. Hoping it's sodium ... but that's furthered hammered me. I wonder how I'd do with just taking measurements, using clothes, etc. but I, too, play the tricks. These jeans were really dried too long and that's why they're a bit tighter, etc.

To those who spoke of the mental games we play, years ago at WW meeting one woman FINALLY broke through a plateau and got her 25 pound loss award ... we all applauded, so happy for her. Toward the end of the meeting she blurted out - I can't keep quiet - I cheated - I took a diuretic to ditch some water to finally get there. She felt so guilty and the funny thing is the next week she lost several pounds without any interference. Years later I still remember this.
  • Good Morning, Coaches.

Up this morning after a good night sleep, food is logged into my fit pal, gym clothes are on for step class, and I am checking in here. Yesterday was a struggle all day. I had to pause several times to restart. Eventually, I called DH and realized talking to him I had been dwelling on a past disappointment. i broke down crying on the phone. It is amazing how our my subconscious will affect my ability to act in the conscious.Credit for not continuing to eat around it but for sitting on the couch and crying THROUGH it.

Like national parker, had to endure an unreasonable gain (two pounds) for the amount I overate. Oh well. it is just information. Perhaps this has been a big block for me and now I am through it.

Slugluv: Welcome. I have been overweight since fifth grade and now I am 49 years old. I have been a high of 205 pounds but have kept most of it off for years. There IS peace here.
  • Hi Beckfolks/coaches/friends... Yesterday was a healthy day... always grateful for that! I stayed with my plan. Credit & YAY. I weighed (stayed the same), did my writing & journal, planned/measured/logged food, and read my response cards & Beck. My neighbor's son came over to borrow eggs to make chocolate chip cookies... he said he would bring some of the cookies over when they were done and I said No Thank you. Credit. Last night I did no extra nighttime eating. Credit. I did my meditations too. It was a very healthy day.

DH and I headed out to see DS and family. The weather progressively got worse. It took us an hour and fifteen minutes to go 12 miles to the highway. The highway was going 20 miles an hour. We decided it would take another 8 hours to get there in this weather and the roads were a mess. So we came back home. I am very disappointed. Not fair... Oh well.

slugluv - WELCOME! Glad you posted. Folks are helpful, friendly and supportive here. I have a couple friends who do the Paleo food plan.

maryann - I am sorry your disappointment made you tearful. I honestly think crying probably was helpful. Actually, it's better and more helpful than food, really. Hope you cheer up.

billbe - it's wonderful progress to be able to walk to PT!! Glad you're looking at Mountain climbing in New Hampshire this spring! Oops on the extra food. Ugh - on the plumbing. Carry on.

nationalparker
    - good save with the potatoes and the side swap out. I can relate you the weather mess. Yes... isn't it crazy the scale games we 'weight losers' play sometimes.

bootedkitty I am doing a happy dance in honor of your wonderful weight loss!!! Yes.. the learning is the most important thing.

lexxiss/debbie - I too write down my daily plan on paper... it's in my notebook. Works best for me. Glad you could save the day with a light supper that DH agreed to, also.

tazzy - all the walking and cardio!! credit. Credit for ahead planning and knowing you can have a cookie another day.

julia150 - I love your term, planning muscles. We all have had to strengthen them at some time too.

bethfromdayton - you have many credtits, yes. Excellent. The planning comes with practice too. For me... I have an idea of what I'll eat in the morning. (I had to get things at the store). I write my plan down shortly after I wake up. See what works the best for you.

Hope everyone is havine a GREAT day.
  • Sorry to be back so quickly. I stopped at the market and picked up a light frozen dinner to stay in control for a little help tonight. I typically try to avoid the prepackaged stuff, but tonight I think it was a saver for me if I can just stay the course. Will take the time to plan this coming week's meals, so I can do a legit marketing trip.

I popped in to a few other threads here, and one thing stood out to me: I am very thankful for how sincere and kind everyone has been in this forum. That seems to be lacking in some I've read, topped by some complaining about "rudeness" and then the replies seem to be to "out-rude" them. Really? I am thankful for good solutions to issues here. And peace and graciousness.

One issue that is hanging over my head - WHY am I really making no measurable progress, when really trying to watch what I ate and be active all last year, then indulged too much over Christmas, but not HORRIBLE. I really haven't made much downward progress all last year. I worry that I'm stuck here. That I'll be up/down the same five pounds.

Bill - Historical question for you with this forum - how often does it seem that those of us who join in, get close to or reach goals over the time that passes? I'm hoping that I'm going to build the skills needed to make the progress that I need to/want to. Side note - good luck with the plumbing project. My DH fixed our built in humidifier last night after I shocked myself so much that it reset the thermostat to 12:00 and I got a bit gripey.

Welcome, Slugluv! (I typed SlugBug TWICE ) I'm looking forward to learning more about you and your challenges and outlooks!

BeverlyJoy - Smart decision to turn around and be safe. Disappointing, I know, but better to have you safe. We had more than 50 accidents in rush hour with the snow this morning. Gets me nervous!
  • What's up with the weight gains today? Barometric pressure change? I was up 1.5 pounds today too. But then went to take my meds and found I hadn't taken yesterday's meds which includes a diuretic for blood pressure along with my vitamin D, prilosec and supplements. That probably accounts for the increase (along with the barometer ) It wasn't for lack of following my plan.
    I deviated from today's plan. DD wanted her favorite pizza so I got my favorite salad (turkey/avacado cobb). I am probably within my calorie limit but hard to say as I don't have the exact cal. count. Plus I only ate half (half saved for tomorrow) and CREDIT moi (copying BillBE) for only eating half of the delicious bread that came with the salad. Bread is my weakness, keep your ice cream, chocolate but give me the bread!
    Going to read and relax tonight.
    Julia
  • TGIFenoughalready
    Coaches

*credit* for heading downtown with two guild members today. We went to a store called Snob where my friend K bought a ceramic plate from Africa and I bought a bundle of 11 porcupine quills. I felt them in my hands and my hands itched to write and draw with them. I want to give each of my drawing group members a quill too when we are doing our week long residency on Toronto island during March.

Most important discovery today? While in that store and the neighbouring Chinese furniture store I could more easily than ever before envision a home of my own full of things I choose. A very significant and unexpected acceptance (surprise!) and *belief* that I can do this decluttering thing in my home--and if I can change that then I am well on the way to getting a handle on the weight thing too. The two "projects" - decluttering and weightloss - are very intertwined with me. Both are very very old and ingrained issues I have carried for decades. Here here to the bonds loosening up! *credit Beck Diet Solution*
  • Saturday - Full Moon
    Diet Coaches/Buddies – Saw The Life of Pi - awesome flick with inspiring photography. It kept us riveted for two hours. Wasn't prepared to be asked the question, "Did the story make you see God?" Because we were able to catch the show that started just before 6pm, we got in for $6 each. Felt like almost free. Since it's the second movie we've been to this year (that's about our usual yearly total) it wasn't a big deal to ignore the popcorn.

Eating was good enough, CREDIT moi. The leftover pork chop for lunch felt noble as well as tasty. The initial step to work on the dishwasher was simply to remove the baseboard panels to be able to search for the source of the leak. As you've already guessed, with the panels gone the leak has stopped. And it didn't leak all night with the valve open. Now we wait for it to reappear. This reminds me of the many times I've driven to my mechanic to complain of a noise that's stopped by the time I got there. Oh Well.

onebyone – Let me join you in the toast, "Here here to the bonds loosening up!" For us all!

Beverlyjoy – Neat to be able to say NO to a young man who offered to turn your eggs into chocolate chip cookies. Ouch for the weather killed visit.

maryann - Yep, Kudos for working "THROUGH it" instead of waddling in food.

nationalparker – Huge Ouch for "a huge time suck" to sap the energy needed for diet and exercise. Have to write, Scalloped Potatoes do not solve Time Suck - Beck missed that one, LOL. Kudos for jumping right back on the treadmill. Yep, scones contain three pounds of sodium - those will pass.

My anecdotal memory of our history is that most folks who stay for a while lose some weight. Many with some success seem to take their Beck skills and make other threads on 3FC their home. The largest group posts once or twice and is never heard from again. Some of the others who've been around for a while might offer their memories. (Maybe some who haven't posted recently but are still reading will chime in with their story.)

Julia (Julia150) – Bread gets to me, too. Especially if I can smell it - goes right from the nose to the MUST HAVE THIS neurons. Kudos for eating only half that salad.

Readers -
    Quote:
    chapter 3
    How Thin People Think

characteristic 2
    You Have a Low Tolerance for Hunger and Cravings

The Beck Diet Solution
    In this program, you'll discover for yourself that hunger and cravings are not emergencies, and you'll learn how to tolerate them. As you're reading this, perhaps you're thinking, I know I don't have to eat when I'm hungry or having a craving ... I want to eat.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 35.
  • Regrouping!
    I used my 2 pound regain as incentive to get back to basics. I really find tracking my food (calories) to be imperative. And sitting and eating slowly and mindfully is a good exercise in self-discipline, along with making my meals more satisfying. I need to exercise for sure today and continue to work on making exercise a priority. All of these things are constant challenges for me, but make such a difference in my weight loss journey. Two huge CREDITS for me from yesterday. First, I was really craving Cinnamelts from McDonald's in the morning after dropping my daughter off at school. Was right near McD's, could envision and almost TASTE the Cinnamelts, weighed the momentary pleasure of the flavor versus the long-term repurcusssions, and RESISTED the craving!!! No Cinnamelts for me!!! I just LOVE those successes!!! I made a Memory/Response Card out of the experience. The second credit was for tolerating hunger for about an hour or more while working (for the 2nd time) with my professional organizer. Knowing we'd be working from 10am-2pm, I had a morning snack right before she arrived. Well, 3 hours into our session, real hunger (complete with big stomach growls) came upon me, which was a real distraction, but we continued to organize for our last hour. I had a bottle of V8 (getting in 3 servings of veggies) and a clementine, and then ate a very late lunch after picking DD up from school. By the time I had lunch, I felt ravenous, but managed to slow myself down and savor my meal (while sitting!). BTW, we cleared another kitchen counter and cleared clutter from and organized 9 kitchen drawers!!! YAY ME!!! When we were finished, I said, "Wow, my house is organized!" Then, I thought about ALL of the other rooms with clutter in them, hesitated, and added....... "Well, my kitchen is GETTING organized!"

onebyone: Thank you for sharing about your rebellion. It feels to me like my inner rebel and inner saboteur are two different creatures, both of whom need to be talked back to firmly. I so agree about clutter and weight loss (body clutter) being intertwined!!! Same for me! I worried that I was taking on too much trying to tackle both weight loss and clutter at the same time, but they are definitely related and feed off one another. Success in one area translates into success in the other, I think (and am beginning to experience). So I join in on your toast to the bonds loosening up!!! I am so excited about the bonds loosening up that I will add in the carrot dance as well!!! Even Mrs. Broccoli wants in on the celebration!!! We CAN and we WILL tackle our excess clutter ~ in all its forms ~ in 2013!!!

slugluv: Welcome to the group!!! You are definitely in the right place! Best wishes to you in your weight loss journey!

BillBlueEyes: It is actually a relief for me to know that I am not the only one who experiences rebellion. Knowing your stats, I was a bit surprised to hear that you experience it, too, so thank you for "fessing up." Yes, it makes me feel just like a teenager again! To be honest, with my "baggage" from my past, I think that is about where I am in my emotional development (teen years), despite being 46! Sad, but true! No wonder I experience so much rebellion! It helps to recognize this.

Yesterday, after my organizing session, I sat down to work on Day 14: PLAN for Tomorrow. I shuddered when I saw that word "plan" and became very resistant to the lesson. But I forced myself to read it. I was so relieved to find the "Mealtime Options" idea at the top of page 137! This will help me so much as I transition into planning my meals ahead of time! I can make cards ahead of time with meal options on them and choose from those the night before when planning my next day. I acknowledge that planning will be a process of adjustment for me, and not something I just jump into perfectly, which also takes some of the pressure off. It is about PROGRESS and not perfection (my Jenny Craig counselor used to always remind me)! I can do this!!! We can do this!!!
  • Good morning! I was able to skip the [mental mandatory] snack with DH gone last night, and felt noble - good work, Bill. Treadmill will beckon me today, though will get out with our dog on the trail for a shorter walk since it's still cold to me (16).

Bill - Did NOT know that about scones - good to know (sodium bombs) ... I typically have one every other month, but weight dropped 2.5 pounds this morning, so still more to go. I need to remember to not work thru this event with food ... there are a few months of prep work for it, before it takes place in April. One mental issue is that I'll be working with top caliber athletes and I feel so out of shape. Maybe that's inspiration?

IBelieveInMe - I have never heard of cinnamelts but omg that sounds like the perfect word to get our mouths watering. Subway is the only fast food option we'll hit. Good job for passing those by. Take that amount of $ even if little, and put it aside for a reward for down the line. You saved that!

Julia -
    Great job in choosing wisely and limiting your bread - that is a tough one for me, too. I love good bread, but am able to leave so-so bread now. But I think I choose "good bread" places.

It intrigues me to see what our varying temptations are - a sandwich bar that calls out to some, is off my radar - yet I'm sure someone else could easily pass up the steak fries that would drive me bonkers! I guess we're fortunate to have these options around us. I've read a few articles on women today who are, for experimentation sake, attempting to feed their families on Britain's WWII rations, stricter than those of the U.S. Talk about planning! That would be a full-time job for me to locate the old recipes, do the marketing, etc. With that thought, I'll get to my much easier task of my own marketing.
  • Good Morning, Coaches.
    Yesterday OP. Tried several new recipes including Barefoot Contessa's tomato soup. It is one of the few recipes of her's that does not start with a stick of butter. I also made rice pudding from leftover rice and bread for grilled cheese. Dh and Ds said, "Great."
    Today, I will help DS with music practice and theory tests in prep for upcoming certification (CM) then watch his basketball game . Tonite I will do the finally writing push. Still up in the scale for whatever reason. What does Beck Say? "At any given time, weight reflects exactly what it is supposed to." Acceptance, it would seem, then, is the answer. So onward I go forth and be--with my beautiful family being the center of my show and not food.

Nationalparker: There are several occasions that I have traditionally "eaten through." Most of my them center on family. You are absolutely right that the only way to combat that is to plan NOT to do it.
    BBE: Did you read the book? I did and was amazed. I am not sure i want to go to the movie and be disappointed.
    IBelieveinMe2: Congrats for not letting the weight gain bring you down.