lentil soup recipe you'll love

• Hi everyone I got the idea to share a recipe with you all. I like it because its easy and delicious and healthy. By the way I don't measure when I cook because I make this too many times, but I tried it here:

Put a half cup of yellow or red lentils in water for 30 min.
    Rinse out the water. Add about 3 cups new water and bring to a boil (actually I don't measure how much water to add but you do not want to add too little). Once it is coming to a boil watch the pot and remove the whitish residue on top until it is gone.
    Continue boiling and add salt, pepper, half an onion, a tablespoon healthy oil, reduce heat to low and cover.
    You can also add some lemon juice now or when you are eating it.
    The other thing is obviously you can add whatever vegetables you like. I usually add tomato paste as well to make it a bit creamier. I will add sweet potatoes, or carrots.

When its all done (I think it all takes about 20 minutes once it comes to a boil), then I usually take a hand mixer and crush everything together.
    Its then ready and you can add some fresh lemon juice on top.

You also can freeze left over portions.

PS: I buy my lentils at an Indian or south asian store. But I think super markets carry them too.

Hope you like it!
  • sorry I forgot an important ingredient - curry powder. one or two teaspoons, depending on the mildness. some currys are very hot so just use one.
  • Thanks. I was thinking about making something with lentils today. I can throw this in the crock pot for lunch! I love curry powder! Haven't added that or lemon to lentils before so I might as well give it a go!
  • I recently tried adding lemon juice to lentils and it was very good, my husband even likes the lentils this way.
  • I think the addition of a sweet potato sounds great, jinee, I never thought of that! I'll bet it would be good with winter squash, too
  • I make my curry lentil soup similar to yours. Saute 1 large chopped onion, two chopped carrots, and 3-4 cloves of minced garlic, then add 2 1/2 T curry powder. Let that saute for about one minute, then add 64oz broth and one bag of picked and rinsed lentils. Let simmer until lentils are soft (about two hours), and season with salt and pepper to taste. It turns out perfect every time.